please don't cater to the HC crowd

wolfhorse

I think anyone denying they don't do that to at least some degree is kidding themselves. I try to be objective (especially as a moderator), but I know I have certain preferences and would just love it if TFP tailored the default game exactly to my preferences.... hehe.

This is where I hope TFP keep the game as supremely configurable as they can - down to and even including major game mechanics.

Don't want digging zombies? Edit this XML and turn 'em off.

Don't want a 7 day horde? Edit this other XML and turn that off too.

Want a harsher death penalty? Change this one line here and you're golden.

Want 100 active LCB's? Open up whatever.xml and change 1 number.

The more TFP can do that, the more successful the game will be I think.

That's great for the crowd who've been playing for a while now, where editting .xmls doesn't feel as daunting. Or maybe a GUI will be released in time to come.

But I think getting the right balance on the default is important for initial sales. 7DtD has some pretty scathing reviews new and old floating around the internet.

That's great for the crowd who've been playing for a while now, where editting .xmls doesn't feel as daunting. Or maybe a GUI will be released in time to come.

But I think getting the right balance on the default is important for initial sales. 7DtD has some pretty scathing reviews new and old floating around the internet.

but honestly how much of that is because of the fiasco with Telltale?

Where?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/#app_reviews_hash

On Steam the score is only going up and A17 is not even a "stable" and properly playable version, yet.

You make it sound as if it was a "Fallout 76 reviews" situation. =)

Where?

On Steam the score is only going up and A17 is not even a "stable" and properly playable version, yet.

Sort by "most helpful". All of the reviews that show up are negative, and most of them explicitly say A17 sucks.

Just to point out.... it becomes most helpful when lots of people click the little button that says they agree with it.

Keep in mind also, the community doesn't speak as one monolithic voice.

So, let's say they adjust the default death penalty (as they have in b208).

Adjust it to what?

I mean, there is literally NO value that will please EVERYONE. Some want it higher, some want it lower, some want it gone altogether.

ALL The Pimps can really do is set the value to what they think it ought to be, and make it easy for players to modify it to what they individually want it to be.

And that, the Pimps, have done.

I must admit that I'd be seriously p'd off with the games mega mob damage if it wasn't for the fact I've just recently stumbled on a technique that beats the AI.

I was early in the night of day 5 or 6 when a wandering horde zeroed onto my base, a ranger station (all ground level walls made of those weak flagstone walls). This was before I'd found the trick to the AI.

This horde absolutely beasted the building (bear in mind, it was a pre-existing structure, not one I'd spent 4 days building from wood). I was laying arrows into them all night, but by the time 4am rolled around the exterior walls were at a point where there should have been a total structural collapse.

Anyway, I spent all of the following day getting all the cobblestone I could to repair/upgrade it, and got it 100% cobblestoned by horde night (plus the bits in place that beat the AI).

By the end of horde night there was only about 5 blocks suffering any damage, and some of that damage would be from all my arrows that went flying through the night.

I've since, during daytime, skirted around a screamer horde (3 screamers), plus a wandering horde who happened in on all the drama, and thanks to my new trick, was able to reduce them all into a tame conga line. I weakened them with arrows before jumping among them to retrieve my arrows and to finish them off with a club. Structural damage - almost nil, resources consumed - maybe 100 arrows broken/lost. No need for spikes or traps of any kind.

Now TFP might not like this exploit, but I'd be very unhappy if I didn't have a solution. The game is now fun again for me, now that I can concentrate on progression rather than desperate rebuilding.

If a wandering horde had a real chance of collapsing my ranger station, then what hope would I have had on a horde night (with replenishing zombie numbers), or in a much smaller base of my own construction.

Long live the exploit!

Seeing as how it's been 0 for the last 5 years, I'd go with 0.

The problem being, you don't speak for the whole community. No-one does in fact, since the whole community would come up with dozens of different numbers to the one you just mentioned.

PS: Set it to 0 right now, and it makes the debuff infinite, so I don't think you'd want that. ;-)

By that logic, they shouldn't add any new features.

They shouldn't have added *that* "feature".

- - - Updated - - -

The problem being, you don't speak for the whole community. No-one does in fact, since the whole community would come up with dozens of different numbers to the one you just mentioned.

PS: Set it to 0 right now, and it makes the debuff infinite, so I don't think you'd want that. ;-)

0.01 is fine then. I'll compromise. So you're saying you're an advocate for an inputtable value?

He's not?

You are seeing everything as an argument, particularly from the mods. Oz has been championing options from the very beginning.

At this point, y'all aren't even talking about the same thing.

Guppy speaks truth.

From the very get go Poojam, I've been an advocate for the MAXIMUM player freedom.

That said,, I'm definitely not an advocate for a "miles long In Game Option Menu" - so I believe almost every config a player wants to tweak, they'll need to go to the XML's for (and hopefully, not the far more complicated option of ripping open the DLL's).

So, if you want a one second death penalty duration - more power to you. It's a simple XML edit. But I wouldn't, just personally, vote for it being in the Options menu.

I'm not enjoying it also. IT'S REDICULOUS the never ending stream of zombies...not to mention the 100,000 arrows in the head it takes to bring down one zombie! I was hoping the Dev's would come up with something better than this garbage especially after OVER A YEAR of working on it! I bought the game liking the way it was...was just looking for some minor changes maybe cars / ziplines / gyrocopter and the like, NOT A WHOLE NEW GAME!! If I saw this in the beginning I would have never bought it. The fun is gone for me.

Lol this has to be the worst complaint so far. NO I DON"T WANT A NEW GAME.

Maybe, just maybe, stay away from a game in development in the future?

You know, as a company, you shouldn´t even react to such a post, other than reading: "game too hard for me". Instead of making frivolous posts about it. Makes TFP look like a sullen child a bit. Also you got enough die hard fanbois who gladly do that for you...

It´s the internet. If you can´t stand above something like that, you work in the wrong kind of business.

And no, it doesn´t matter who started. In other sections of business you get fired for such a response. No matter who started or how wrong the customer was.

You know, as acompany, you shouldn´t even react to such a post, other than reading: "game too hard for me". Instead of making frivolous posts about it. Makes TFP look like a sullen child a bit.

It´s the internet. If you can´t stand above something like that, you work in the wrong kind of business.

Devs have a sense of humour too.

Yeah, humor. That goes as far as ignoring posts llike that completly. Can´t really go search it right now, but there was a post about how TFP ignores people like him, not taking such opinions in consideration when tweaking and balancing. Think it was from roland.

Wich is understandable if you are a user. As a company you still gotta recognize the opinion hidden in that cry out loud rage post. Everything else is not professional.

Yeah, humor. That goes as far as ignoring posts llike that completly. Can´t really go search it right now, but there was a post about how TFP ignores people like him, not taking such opinions in consideration when tweaking and balancing. Think it was from roland.

Wich is understandable if you are a user. As a company you still gotta recognize the opinion hidden in that cry out loud rage post. Everything else is not professional.

Well, the way I look at it is this.

At work, I like to have fun. My colleagues and I joke around whenever our work permits us.

Gazz, when he's on here, is at work.

Where?

Know the part where i said float? Personally it conjures images of a toilet malfunction.

https://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-entertainment/article/1991806/game-review-7-days-die-disappointing-survival-game-just

An irrelevant outlet, 'Chinese' agency written by an Indian. Thus floating around.

As bad as certain notable outlets have put Fallout 76 5/10 or even lower, my friends who do play it.. actually enjoy it.

As far as balancing default goes, tuning it to the lowest common denominator tends to reach to the largest crowd if I've learnt anything from *itching on the forums. Especially World of Warcraft! Dirty casuals have taken over!

Archived