A17 Pointless base building

skylerkae

I haven't tried this for bloodmoon yet, but my base is surrounded by a 3 block deep trench all around that also has an opening to the outside so you can climb out. I just over it to get to my base. The zombies including dogs and spiders, when agitated keep running around in a circle : into the trench, towards the opening and back into the trench without causing any damage. This must be an exploit to the path calculation. Rather than getting into the trench and digging towards you, they prefer to get out instead and start over. B208

Okay (insert whining, removed for length)

So, finally am able to post, took 4 days for them to approve my account for posting, SMH. Can finally respond to this nonsense.

I am at day 100. Level 105, over 1700 zombie kills, 2 deaths (happened sub level 5). Base building is still fully viable - but don't fight horde night where you build your base, and don't build a horde fighting building - use existing architecture. Case and point - my horde night conversion base, and the system behind it.

I took over one of the partially collapsed concrete buildings in a city near my crafting/farming/storage/etc base. I added one level to the top of this, giving overhang to help funnel vultures, and bars to allow for shooting at enemies below. I used the nearby concrete building, which is taller, as my funnel point. On horde night, nearly all zombies attempt to get to the 4th floor of the adjacent building, and then try to jump to my bait bridge. On very rare occasions, spider zombies have managed to jump, but generally I shoot them first and they fall to the ground like all the rest. I have strategically placed spikes on the stairwells to assist in both slowing the flow, as well as assisting in damaging zombies. Occasionally they die in a manner that does not net me experience - dogs die upon falling the first time, and the spikes kill them fairly easily as well. After falling, zombies run back up the stairs again in a constant parade, while I easily pick them off.

Have a look at this gallery - this is simple, and I was able to build this on day 1 with simple wood, and I have upgraded the materials over time to sustain damage from cops spitting and incidental hits on the exit hole blocks.

https://imgur.com/a/586yNGS

My tower has sustained very little damage (a couple hundred points out of 2500) on a few low level blocks here and there, but otherwise, the majority of the damage has been to the secondary building.

Bottom line is this - you can outsmart the zombies, and their improved AI is actually a boon if you build smart, and use that AI against them.

I am on Day 27 on Survivalist.

I took over the Pawn Shop in Navesgaine (where Aldo's and the bar is). I have not had problems surviving outside of maybe day 14 when zombies went through about five rows of wooden spikes and broke through to my bottom floor. Still they could not reach the main part of my base which is the apt above the pawn shop.

Don't count on wooden spikes, they go real quick, but the metal spikes are incredible. I also have 2 blade traps, 3 electric fences (one going right through the back door) and have just set up two shotgun turrets in the front windows and an autogun behind bars to guard the back door.

I have no problems defending. I do have the blood moon currently on 32. Next 7 Day horde I will set to the max of 64.

Next time I game I'll take screenies and post them here, but the pawnshop has a iron bar walkway and rail system I've built that is making its way around the whole second floor of the building. Attacking from above gives such a nice vantage point and all I've had to deal with are vultures and this one irradiated spider that flew up over my 4 rows of spikes and smacked me in the face. Still, he soon died.

My reinforce concrete walls are holding up, but the big thing is I don't easily let them approach the walls either with barbed wire to slow them down. I am also not noticing the barbed wire, spikes, or anything really wear down quickly. Blade traps seem more durable than in A16.

Am I missing something?

"Small" footprint base. Very cheesy in the way that the zombies have less then 2% chance

to get to me. The path, and what it attach to is best build with stronger materials, in case

of exploding cops. Spiders may jump up, and sometimes the zombies will stack atop of each

other and jump back at me.

The path splits in two, but i just put down some frames on one of them. This to give them

an alternative path if the first is destroyed for some reason. Using poles to create that

infiniti loop, since traps are a bit scarse early game. I do plan to give them a true path

once i get enough traps.

Entrance/exit: The pillars are hollow, so i use a hatch elevator in 1, and just put down 2 haybales

at the bottom of another.

In my "real" playworld, i put my living quarters atop of a simular base, and made the pattern of

pillars 3x2, instead of 2x2 as shown on the screenies.

20181203150033_1.jpg.11cba025578c42365923bbd7ef649035.jpg

20181203151333_1.jpg.369dc9c13d699cdc63a9b406ae898b50.jpg

20181203175038_1.jpg.9e74e080ab2391da721bc4634a9ee99f.jpg

• 2 months later...
It looks like the Devs have decided how the game should be played.

You will wander around and fight zombies, you will hold down a temporary base on a blood moon, you will follow their desired methods.

One of the things I had liked about this game was the ability to choose a play style. I tired of base maintenance, so went deep underground. I fought hordes, I built, I explored, I tunneled, and I had a load of fun.

The game, in its current evolution, holds no interest for me. I will review new releases but can't be bothered with the current incarnation.

For those of you who enjoy it, have fun. I'm off to other games.

Same for me, and I add to this that mining was fun and is now rip. I had read many forum threads and I don't even wan't to give any ingame try. I'm quitting until I know underground mining is possible.

In alpha 16 I waited the horde behind my rounded pillars with guns and sledgehammer. Under this base was my underground mine and I defended it. There was always a need to make a better design for future hordes.

If I can't mine underground or lure around the world with no idea of how to protect me from Zombies , this is not a strategic game, this is a pure bashing fps.

Same for me, and I add to this that mining was fun and is now rip. I had read many forum threads and I don't even wan't to give any ingame try. I'm quitting until I know underground mining is posibble.

Set zombie block damage to 25% with A17.2, or with a modlet even 1%

(These Go blockdamage is 1%)

7931E6E785F719CD1EAA5E098804D2C223C95E6F

If I can't mine underground or lure around the world with no idea of how to protect me from Zombies , this is not a strategic game, this is a pure bashing fps.

I can understand your frustration. I don't think I've ever invested so much time and effort in finding an efficient defense that will stand up to the zombies in the long run.

However, with every new release there is some change to the AI that threatens to ruin my work and I have to start all over again.

I also had to design a defense for my mines. I made an entrance especially for the zombies that they hopefully use instead of digging through the ceiling. I covered the ceiling with flagstone and placed two turrets at the entrance to the mine to welcome the zombies.

I have only been able to try it at a comparatively shallow depth. There it works but now the deposit is exhausted. Further down I discovered another deposit which I hope I can mine undisturbed.

I've really enjoyed spending time in the mine in the past. In Alpha 15 I built a 3 lane tunnel underneath Navezgane which connected all biomes. I spent whole ingame days in the mine. Also in Alpha 16 I spent a lot of time in the mine. When I had nothing else to do I collected resources.

Your kidding right? I play on insane and have zero issues defending blood moon. I still use the same defense I used in earlier versions nothing has changed. A simple square with spikes around it using trussing for a lip around defense to shoot down.

A defense I don't use for a reason. It is inefficient and unsuccessful in the long run.

You only rely on there always being enough ammunition to fend off the horde but with each horde you need more and more ammunition. Consumption increases until you can't produce or buy enough for the next horde.

I want to have a defense that is also effective against a day 350 horde.

I currently have a well working defense that only consumes resources that I can easily replace. I tested it against a gamestage 450 horde on Nomad and against a gamestage 900 horde. Withstands both without any problems.

What on earth are you supposed to build as a base so that you can survive a A17 blood moon horde. At the minute iv come to the conclusion that base building is now a pointless exercise and instead its best to build a few small wooden huts here and there with a bed and some storage boxes in and on the blood moon night just find a roof, destroy any stairs going up to the roof and sit there until its over. Even given that option, some of the zombies are jumping as high as the roofs themselves. Gotta be honest though, the latter option is way way way way less fun than having a base with at least SOME chance of defending like you did in A16. I am okay with a stronger horde...so long as we are given at least some chance to survive it and maintain some aspect of a base. At the minute it seems that, short of making a base with 20 block thick walls and 600 vault doors in a row with 63 layers of 10 block high metal spikes and 1400 electric fences, bases are a pointless endeavour.

Super easy base, no AI tricks required, no turrets, no doors, no tricks. Minimum materials. Survived many hordes with no problem.

Find ranger station.

Fill in entire bottom floor with the best materials you have. Usually cobblestone. I mean the ENTIRE thing. One solid block. Leave a 1-block tunnel with a ladder going down for an escape tunnel/mineshaft. All the way out to the width of the porch.

Extend the second floor so that the bar overhang is one out from the outer wall (like normal) and extend the house on top so that there's a 2-wide walkway all the way around, so you can run and shoot. If you want to, reinforce the corners and flatten the roof for a farm, it's very convenient. In fact, you can extend floors pretty infinitely upward.

Put 2 rows of spikes and a row of barbed wire all the way around the base. Update the outer walls as much as possible. To steel when you can.

make 3 x 3 shooters towers with a 1-block wide bridge going between the main base and the tower, on all 4 sides, so that you can get shots at zombies banging on the walls.

Put 1-deep 3 x 4 pits intermittantly around the base. We put one on each side of the shooter towers, and one at the corners between them. Then build a 3-high wall all the way around those, leaving only the 1-high pits unobscured. Fill pits with spikes and barbed wire. Surround the outside of the outer wall with spikes.

The zombies will head for the pits immediately, as they are the only unobstructed way to the base. Any who punch the wall get spiked. Fill the pits with molotovs when zombies pile up. Mow down with guns, arrows, turrets, whatever you want. It's pretty much impossible for zombies to dig out enough of the lower floor to collapse the base. Upgrade the materials whenever they tunnel through (if you originally built the base out of cobblestone, you can upgrade all reachable blocks to cement before you fill in the holes.

And if worse comes to worse (which it never has for us) either take your escape tunnel or get on your motorcycle and drive away.

I can understand your frustration. I don't think I've ever invested so much time and effort in finding an efficient defense that will stand up to the zombies in the long run.

However, with every new release there is some change to the AI that threatens to ruin my work and I have to start all over again.

I also had to design a defense for my mines. I made an entrance especially for the zombies that they hopefully use instead of digging through the ceiling. I covered the ceiling with flagstone and placed two turrets at the entrance to the mine to welcome the zombies.

I have only been able to try it at a comparatively shallow depth. There it works but now the deposit is exhausted. Further down I discovered another deposit which I hope I can mine undisturbed.

I've really enjoyed spending time in the mine in the past. In Alpha 15 I built a 3 lane tunnel underneath Navezgane which connected all biomes. I spent whole ingame days in the mine. Also in Alpha 16 I spent a lot of time in the mine. When I had nothing else to do I collected resources.

Your kidding right? I play on insane and have zero issues defending blood moon. I still use the same defense I used in earlier versions nothing has changed. A simple square with spikes around it using trussing for a lip around defense to shoot down.

The point is that I come back after a year or so of no play, and I look at all those threads about 7dtd difficulty rising and that deceive me. I am a "coward player", basicaly I hate horror games, but I love 7dtd. Probably I like the feeling to be secured inside a dangerous and fearing world by building something and find some courage to explore it; mostly with strategic or tactical moves, less with action.

Finaly I go give another try to 7dtd, but for now, after 2 days I have played 1 or 2 hours and used most of time reading forums. It's like my first time ingame long time ago but without th security provided by a hole in a ground and everything new to learn. For first time I feel the need to not play solo. And youre right, I'll start a new game on easy blockdamage.

In wanna try some underground mining strategy too

The point is that I come back after a year or so of no play, and I look at all those threads about 7dtd difficulty rising and that deceive me. I am a "coward player", basicaly I hate horror games, but I love 7dtd. Probably I like the feeling to be secured inside a dangerous and fearing world by building something and find some courage to explore it; mostly with strategic or tactical moves, less with action.

Finaly I go give another try to 7dtd, but for now, after 2 days I have played 1 or 2 hours and used most of time reading forums. It's like my first time ingame long time ago but without th security provided by a hole in a ground and everything new to learn. For first time I feel the need to not play solo. And youre right, I'll start a new game on easy blockdamage.

In wanna try some underground mining strategy too

Yes, some of the new options should be right up your alley and keep the game enjoyable for you. Put zombies to 25% block damage and yourself to 200% block damage and turn off blood moon hordes completely and you may be in for the best version of 7 Days to Die you remember playing. :)

I no longer have any problems defending my base. Granted, I am only on day 40 now but I do not lose a single block during horde night on warrior.

Reading through it looks to me like your problem here is that you are trying to build what might have worked before. Doors are a no go - end of story. They clump the zeds up and with damage bonuses that they get in numbers it makes anything no matter how many HP pointless. Wood is also useless now in any defensive position.

I build a basic pillbox to start - 5 Bricks per wall 4 bricks high and you have to have at least cobblestone even on day 7. Push 2 of those together, double thick walls on 3 sides and center poles on the 4th so you can melee through them. I place a 2 lane maze in front so I can drop some wires across them (those are massively OP - my main wall never even takes damage now). 2nd floor to flee to if things go badly and a third to store my ♥♥♥♥. We are only talking 164 blocks including the maze.

I carry a pistol to make cops easy but honestly I don't need anything past my sledge to defend this base thus far. No gimmicky pathing tricks or anything like that required. 4 dart traps for kneecapping will be added when I have found a good way to ensure iron gathering.

They do need to fix how doors work - for now simply never place a door where it can be hit - it will insta die. Other than that, base building is not much more difficult than a16. This is similar to my 16 base but a lot smaller because you cant spread them out anymore so you have to use a killbox.

Same for me, and I add to this that mining was fun and is now rip. I had read many forum threads and I don't even wan't to give any ingame try. I'm quitting until I know underground mining is possible.

In alpha 16 I waited the horde behind my rounded pillars with guns and sledgehammer. Under this base was my underground mine and I defended it. There was always a need to make a better design for future hordes.

Underground mining is still a thing. I dig 2 lanes to the desired depth (usually 14 as it makes finding resource nodes pretty easy) and attach pathways in between the two paths. Then place wooden doors periodically. The horde will need to attack the doors and that is noisy - just saunter over to the path they are not attacking and walk on out.

Easy.

I'm curious. OP? In your base builds do you have a clear walking path between you and the zombies? Meaning, blocks may be in the way, but they can beat down a wall, a door, or whatever, to access stairs or a ladder or blocks that can be hopped up on, to reach you?

Or is there zero paths to for the zombies to reach you? Which typically means, you're at least 4 blocks high with some lip preventing spiders from reaching you.

One thing I've noticed is that in A17, yeah, if there's a clear path that zombies can travel to reach you, they'll do that. In a very focused way.

However if you run a platform base where they can't actually walk up to you along any path, and have to go into destroy mode, their damage spreads out. Which is a huge huge huge difference.

I suspect people who are saying zombies hardly beat their bases down are running upgraded cobblesstone/flagstone bases on platforms of a sort. Where zombies end up in destroy mode flailing at whatever. Seems to cause much less "zombies went right through my base!" issues.

I also want a secure base for the day but in horde night i want a base i can fight, if i want to , but don't have to if i just want peace.

So i took over a POI next to a trader as base , build a wall around it, and put Log spike (modlet to reactivate them) and normal iron spikes around it. Keeps away the screamer and wandering hordes.

Not far away i build a suspended tower (idea found here in forum), 9x9x20 hole with a 5x5 tower in the middle. The tower is "attached" at a hight of 4 blocks up to the top with plates, so you get a nearly 2x1 hole where zombies fall through. From bottom of the pit 2 ramps are digged up to ground level, so zombies can walk back up.

On one side on top of the hole i have a little tower with a ramp. The ramp is connected to the tower with 3 poles , so only 1 zombie can be infront of the kill zone at any time. So i can club them to death. From there i can jump into my save tower and close the door if zombies break through.

Can be all achieved till day 7 (the tower at least) with flagstone if you build in desert. Otherwise, start building, spend first 7 day horde in a normal POI (they don't manage to destroy it yet) and latest on day 14 your are good.

Some pictures to illustrate the horde night base, sorry for crappy quality, it's my second game on potato PC at work :D :

https://imgur.com/a/rxcMjJi

My current RWG game is at day 102 and the past several Blood moon Hordes hardly damaged my base. I found one of the Bomb Shelters hidden under a well on day 2 and decided to see if it could be made to stand up to the new AI without exploiting it. Here is what I did:

The well has been built into a concrete reinforced tower 8 blocks high, 2 blocks thick (Steel reinforced) with an Iron bar cage on 3 sides at the top. 4 blocks from the ground is a ring of Iron bars to stop Spiders. Around the base are 4 layers of Wood and iron spikes 2 layers high. Next are rows of Land mines, Air Filter, Hubcap and Candy tin surrounding the spikes. Surrounding that are 3 rows of Barbed wire stacked 2 high.

That sounds great, but how do you get in? Well, I have constructed a ramp that is 8 blocks high that leads to a bridge that is 20 blocks long and 3 blocks wide and has side rails to help stop zombies from falling off the side and deciding to rampage near my supports. My top cage has iron bars all around the top except for a doorway onto the bridge. During Blood Moon nights, I turn off my forges, my Chem stations and my camp fires and climb up the ladder to my Cage and close the vault and hatch doors below and blast away until morning to lower any Zombie attraction to what is below and deter their "Dig" instinct.

Because the ramp is the only clear access to get to me, 95% of the Zombies ignore all the defenses and head straight for the ramp where I chug Learnin Elixer and blast away. If I have to go afk, I flick the switch and turn on the Shotgun turrets pointed down the bridge and can be pretty positive that I will be safe even during an assault if the phone rings or I need a Bio break.

Yes, it eats ammo but for me, it works out to what I have used to clear a Tier 5 POI. So far so good and yes, the bridge supports are also protected by spikes, land mines and barbed wire.

Did you try the new setting AI BLOOD MOON BLOCK DAMAGE? You can make them do as little as 25%. Overall Difficulty nerfs their damage and nerfs the game stage too. hell you can turn off blood moons now entirely too, so theres enough settings in there to please most players preferences, and more to come.

Did you try the new setting AI BLOOD MOON BLOCK DAMAGE? You can make them do as little as 25%. Overall Difficulty nerfs their damage and nerfs the game stage too. hell you can turn off blood moons now entirely too, so theres enough settings in there to please most players preferences, and more to come.

Har har (Modded)

C0233DDB690623FF8B0B24C5152897941BF5A080

And no, thats not my normal settings ;)

Archived