A17 Pointless base building

skylerkae

The 500 rounds is pure hyperbole.

Watch the video.

The comment of madmole in which he said something of 500 shots to the head is from after the video.

He has completely reversed the operation of the demolisher zombies. At the time of the video, the demolisher zombie has done mostly entity damage. Now he is doing 5000 block damage.

Madmole was disappointed that the zombie that exploded in his base didn't destroy all his boxes and workstations.

Look at it as a new challenge to adapt too. If A18 drops and players dont need to change anything with their horde night defenses, what would be the fun in that?

I have reworked my designs several times. Each time in A17 to adapt it to the changed AI.

In A16 I even had to build a completely new base in less than a week because the old design didn't work anymore. And this was a big base to be able to handle big hordes.

But if I read things like 5000 block damage and you need 500 shots on the head to kill the zombie without him exploding then this is just a wrecking ball that looks like a zombie.

This zombie was obviously designed with one kind of defense in mind. Standing on a roof and shooting at zombies.

I'm willing to bet the community figures out a new passive base defense against the demolished within a few weeks after a18 is released.

It depends on how the demolisher zombie finally works. The way madmole currently imagines it, I doubt you can do much with passive defense. Surely I can send him through 20 dart traps and hope they don't trigger the explosion but if I have to go overkill because of one zombie, it's not balanced.

The problem is that madmole is much too hyped by his M60 at the moment. Every time you ask him how to fight this zombie you get the answer "shoot him". He doesn't think about alternatives at all but just wants to have the most fun with his weapon.

If you look at his base you see that he has no experience with traps and how to use them effectively. He always uses the same kind of defense.

The comment of madmole in which he said something of 500 shots to the head is from after the video.

He has completely reversed the operation of the demolisher zombies. At the time of the video, the demolisher zombie has done mostly entity damage. Now he is doing 5000 block damage.

Madmole was disappointed that the zombie that exploded in his base didn't destroy all his boxes and workstations.

I am well aware of that, it's still hyperbole.

The explosion changes are likely the only change made.

Or you expect the demolisher to have 50k health...? Not going to happen.

I am well aware of that, it's still hyperbole.

The explosion changes are likely the only change made.

Or you expect the demolisher to have 50k health...? Not going to happen.

Let's hope his team can talk some sense into madmole. I think he's just too hyped by the M60 right now.

But I don't like the explosion damage at all. It's like a wrecking ball in the shape of a zombie.

Let's hope his team can talk some sense into madmole. I think he's just too hyped by the M60 right now.

But I don't like the explosion damage at all. It's like a wrecking ball in the shape of a zombie.

I personally love the idea.

You can just tone down the damage, spawning etc if the zombie really does not suit your gameplay.

If he remained unchanged from the video I had already planned to change him to explosive block damage so I am fine with him either way.

Here's my secret... build a solid cube 13x13x8high of reinforced concrete and hide inside ontop - it can be a cage ontop whatever, and wait until horde night is over - you live. Of course this is away from your main base. Replaced blocks in the morning - you win. THE END

Traps are useless beyond normal difficulty and a waste of resources, blowing all your ammo a waste of resources too.

And I know this works because I have always done it every build and even on insane.

The only way TFP can beat us is teleport us Nekkid in the center of the map 0,0 on horde night... I'm waiting for that update :p

Here's my secret... build a solid cube 13x13x8high of reinforced concrete and hide inside ontop - it can be a cage ontop whatever, and wait until horde night is over - you live. Of course this is away from your main base. Replaced blocks in the morning - you win. THE END

Traps are useless beyond normal difficulty and a waste of resources, blowing all your ammo a waste of resources too.

And I know this works because I have always done it every build and even on insane.

The only way TFP can beat us is teleport us Nekkid in the center of the map 0,0 on horde night... I'm waiting for that update :p

Or a demolished zombie will come by and wreck it.

I actually suggested doing this recently on my server. :p

I also said we should make a teleport called "Safehouse" for BM's and have it send you to 0,0. You would be placed into a glass cube.

No one seemed to like my ideas...

I am sorry but WTF is Nekkid? Oh, naked, yeah this sound a bit f***ed up so I can not see doing this to anyone unless they hacking the game somehow.

I was taking a shower in a house with people I did not know in a crack dealer area of an already bad city Pittsburgh California and they stole all my clothes even my underwear when I was showering so I came out "naked" and luckily someone was kind enough to give me a pair of pants and some socks. I ended up sleeping in my car because my keys and wallet were stolen with about $500.00 in the worst part of town "crack dealer central". I had to stay there for 3 days until I could get a ride home. This really happened and it was F***ed up, they could have just stolen my wallet.

I wish I could teleport that obnoxious trader to a place I could use a nail-gun on him. I wonder who voice acted that guy.

I personally love the idea.

You can just tone down the damage, spawning etc if the zombie really does not suit your gameplay.

If he remained unchanged from the video I had already planned to change him to explosive block damage so I am fine with him either way.

I'll take a good look at the zombie before I decide what to do with it. I just think he' s not well balanced to be a valid opponent for different types of gameplay. Players with melee bases won't enjoy this zombie either.

By the way, there is some new info about the demolisher zombie. He doesn't mind spikes. He just tramples them down. If you want to slow him down you have to come up with something else than just put a few spikes in his path. He really seems to be designed as a wrecking ball.

I'll take a good look at the zombie before I decide what to do with it. I just think he' s not well balanced to be a valid opponent for different types of gameplay. Players with melee bases won't enjoy this zombie either.

By the way, there is some new info about the demolisher zombie. He doesn't mind spikes. He just tramples them down. If you want to slow him down you have to come up with something else than just put a few spikes in his path. He really seems to be designed as a wrecking ball.

I plan to just shoot him.

Either way I am not set into one strategy or playstyle, I do whatever works best at the time and enjoy adapting to changing circumstances.

I plan to just shoot him.

Either way I am not set into one strategy or playstyle, I do whatever works best at the time and enjoy adapting to changing circumstances.

I don't like firearms. Besides, it would be boring if everyone would choose the same defense because there is no other choice.

I don't like firearms. Besides, it would be boring if everyone would choose the same defense because there is no other choice.

I don't see there being only one choice.

The demolisher just does not seem to fit nicely with your chosen strategy.

Fun is entirely subjective.

Not liking firearms is your own choice, so that complicates matters for you but again that is entirely on you.

I don't see there being only one choice.

The demolisher just does not seem to fit nicely with your chosen strategy.

And what strategy that doesn't include firearms does he fit into?

Not liking firearms is your own choice, so that complicates matters for you but again that is entirely on you.

I haven't had any problems with that so far. In A15 I had a melee base and in A16 I used the crossbow with explosive bolts and shotgun turrets. In A17 I use dart traps, electric fences and blade traps.

I've never been forced to use this defense before:

giphy.gif

I haven't had any problems with that so far. In A15 I had a melee base and in A16 I used the crossbow with explosive bolts and shotgun turrets. In A17 I use dart traps, electric fences and blade traps.

giphy.gif

How you decide to face challenges is up to you and all part of the fun.

I don't care how you play.

You feeling 'forced' to do something is simply you showing resistance to adapting your current strategy.

As I said earlier if your not having fun then just change things until you are.

giphy.gif

I made a request for a M249 SAW in the pimp dreams so the M60 sounds great to me except it will spit out rounds faster than you can refill it. I also requested a going prone mode and this would be the way the M249 was meant to be used with a bi-pod in prone formation. Now all you need is a mounted unit somehow behind some sandbags, because this face it Rambo is an action film and you probably did not see too many guys in Vietnam using an m60 like this in the video.

Why is there no M16 or Colt M4 with an under-slung M203? or just an M203 itself or mortars, yeah I am an FPS guy and I love guns.

I made a request for a M249 SAW in the pimp dreams so the M60 sounds great to me except it will spit out rounds faster than you can refill it. I also requested a going prone mode and this would be the way the M249 was meant to be used with a bi-pod in prone formation. Now all you need is a mounted unit somehow behind some sandbags, because this face it Rambo is an action film and you probably did not see too many guys in Vietnam using an m60 like this in the video.

Why is there no M16 or Colt M4 with an under-slung M203? or just an M203 itself or mortars, yeah I am an FPS guy and I love guns.

To be honest I've never understood why many want to see a particular weapon in a game. They're all the same to me. There's a trigger, there's a loud bang and a bullet comes out of the barrel. I don't care what this thing looks like or what it's called.

To be honest I've never understood why many want to see a particular weapon in a game. They're all the same to me. There's a trigger, there's a loud bang and a bullet comes out of the barrel. I don't care what this thing looks like or what it's called.

Gun nuts do. An M203 is just a 20mm grenade launcher for ranged grenade attacks, a mortar could be used for all out destroying massive zombies herd clusters during bloodmoon, if you get the coordinates correctly but I suppose they would be way overpowered until more super-zombies appear.

Gun nuts do. An M203 is just a 20mm grenade launcher for ranged grenade attacks, a mortar could be used for all out destroying massive zombies herd clusters during bloodmoon, if you get the coordinates correctly but I suppose they would be way overpowered until more super-zombies appear.

Just for information accuracy the M203 fires a 40mm grenade ;)

Hi everybody

(just now joining this thread so have not read through everyone's comments yet)

From the initial post, yes I know, base building in alpha 17 is much more difficult now than it was in previous alphas.But I am kind of set aside that so many people have said that it is "impossible". Personally it only took me about 25/30 in game days to produce a base that was not only efficient, but also one of my best I personally feel like. For the most part it was rather simple (and no it did not use any tactics at all that require cheating the AI). A basic run down of it is: It was a "rounded" tower, meaning I used ramps on the sides to make it look less like an eyesore, with an outer defensive "wall" with four openings. Within the openings I had a set of 5 blade traps x 4, so total of 20. In the initial entryway I had dart traps with protective layering (Iron bars) to kill anything that first entered (or at least do some damage). Where the corner entry's were I had several iron spikes stacked two high to help prevent them avoiding the blades. For the most part this was extremely efficient to the point I never had to upgrade it to forge steel.

Anyways just some input. I have also had many different bases that do completely go down the drain, but for the most part it just takes a little bit of structure processing. Oh well. Just wanted to share:smile-new::smile-new::excitement::excitement::excitement:

Just for information accuracy the M203 fires a 40mm grenade ;)

Yeah I was thinking that might be a 40mm but I forgot. I think I was thinking about the 20mm grenade that is in the OICW Advanced Assault Rifle in Far Cry or maybe the under-slung grenade launcher on the M4 has a 20mm, I got 20mm from somewhere.

Yeah it was the OICW I do not know why I was thinking 20mm, I suppose gun nuts would know. Anyway the M203 would be pretty amazing to use or just one underneath the AK as a mod or something like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but it may be overpowered in the current game until this demolisher or other zombies are introduced that NEED to be taken out from a distance.

Looks like the AK version of the under-barrel grenade launcher is the VOG-25 and it is also 40mm. This would need to be introduced as more than a mod as it would be a devastating weapon in itself. Even The FN SCAR used a 40mm grenade launcher Other than far Cry 1 I do not know where I got the 20mm from.

Imagine a mortar that was dialed in at a perfect position and when they come at your base just drop in a shell and take out multiple clusters of them at one time. This would be best in Co-Op so one guy could man the mortar and the others could be giving coordinates.

While playing my new game in the random map with Nitrogen I was looking for a 7th day place to be safe and I really f***ed up and damn near got killed. My original intent was just for day 7 and 14 to stay on the metal platform hanging in the barn prefab with the concrete pallets on then where the silo's are and just shoot from that. Well as I was making space to move around I tried to remove some concrete piles from the metal platform and it collapsed and I broke my leg on day 7 at about 19:50. So I moved to the silo and decided to stand up on the little ledge and while I put a wood frame on the other metal platform hanging right outside the barn in case I had to leap for my life, that platform collapsed as well from the weight of a wood frame of all things. So now I am stuck on the silo throwing Molotov's down at the Zombies but they finally tore the bottom out of the silo and I had to jump to the roof of the barn before it all came down and then fought from the roof of the barn. Luckily I did it just in time but also broke my leg again.

So it is difficult to find the right place to defend starting out but with some ingenuity and patients it can be done. I think I may have found the right place for day 14, but please do not trust the grain silo on the farm or those platforms they have with the bags of concrete on them that look safe that are hanging in and outside of the barn, its a death trap and probably for a reason like a developers inside joke or something. I imagine if they were watching they would be giggling like school girls.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, if you want a grenade launcher (and sorry, the M203 isn't in here), there's a mod for that. Nexus has it, along with a bunch of other stuff.

I recognize the theme of this is "they're too damn powerful" and I agree but there are a couple of things you might do to extend your time between deaths and have a safe place to sit.

I got lucky on my entry into 17, RNG dropped me right outside a town that had a theater in it. The street is pretty sweet, as things go. From one end to the other on my side: Multi-use building with the gunstore/shooting gallery-uhh, "something else"-industrial building, pawn shop, theater, ruin, wood house, book store, multi-use with bookstore, carpet flooring store, and the diner, then one other building. opposite side of the street is a pawn shop, firehouse, gun store, ruin, then a country gas station at the end. couple of other buildings, drug store, another pawn shop, a fort, all nicely located.

Since areas sometimes repeat in random gen, it's possible that this layout can be found. I ran a ladder up to the top of the theater, and not ONE zed has walked up that ladder. They're slowly tearing the ♥♥♥♥ out of the inside of the theater and the outer walls but they aren't coming up for some reason, and I can easily reinforce the lower structure because they spread out so much.

For the horde nights, due to the altitude, I go to one of the other buildings, all of them have been hollowed out and "safed" to the extent that I can clear a lot of friends before I go through the walls (most of the bulidings around my base no longer have full walls and doorways are a thing of the past) and then it's zip up to a roof with only one way up, cover that, and have fun with what's on the ground.

Pawn Shops are good for that, the only way up is a broken stair that they can't seem to jump on. and if they do, it's one at a time, they gotta put in work to get to you. for this, shotty is a good way to say "hello".

Look into the mods, there are links in the mod section of the forum. They make this a lot more interesting.

I do agree however that the structures aren't as destructive to the zeds as they once were. The barbed wire and spike traps especially used to kill zeds, now they just slow them down.

That really needs to be fixed.

Archived