A17 Pointless base building

skylerkae

I forgot about this thread, but kept meaning to post here. I tried one of the A17 corridor bases that many people deemed necessary to deal with zombies doing so much block damage, but it got boring too fast for me. I posted this in response to a topic elsewhere, but thought I'd bring it here to show that there are still options. I'm not gonna claim that you can use this without guns, because I never even considered that playstyle. I'm not a gun nut either and A18 will introduce more guns than I'll ever bother to use, but I'm also the type that uses whatever tool provided to solve a problem(except spikes. I hate spike fields). Guns to me are for times when it gets too hairy to use my machete or bow, while exploring and while fighting the horde.

I don't have the survival game with my A17 horde base anymore, but I do have some test builds I can show off if you are interested. They are lacking some of the features of the final design, but work as examples. They are designed for players with parkour maxed out(these are late-game, after all), but I made sure that it's not necessary while building(requires some changes here and there).

This is kind of the skeleton. It's a bit like a spider: the player fights from within the body, the legs extend to the wall and down into solid ground uninterrupted. The weak part("weak": they're made of steel both for SI and durability) of the legs are elevated, wedge-shaped and protected by those wedges jutting out. The zombies fall straight into the pit. The base of the legs are protected by several layers. This one can continue standing with 5/8 of the legs destroyed.

https://imgur.com/a/bSBKVCb

https://imgur.com/a/ax3weqB(view from the ground approaching the pit.)

Inside the "body": There are two platforms for fighting. The lower one has openings in the middle and at the corner for flinging bombs and molotovs down. There is a box, shielded from below, for extra supplies(typically mostly water for molotov mishaps.) You can only fall down if crouched(feature). The upper platform is level with the ground approaching the pit, good for another player to take out priority targets(cops) or kill and slow down groups.

https://imgur.com/a/wbvOMsc

They fall into a pit of reinforced concrete wired up with electric fences, dart traps, and turrets that I use in that order if things get a little too hairy. I rarely have to activate the darts or turrets, but use the fences quite a bit as they are strung next to the walls and keep them from damaging too much. I still use a compound bow for a good amount of kills.

Finally, I will share two pictures of a base I've been building anticipating the demolisher. The main differences are: only one floor within the body(so I can keep an eye on the approach while playing alone) and it's much easier to enter and exit in case I need to go outside to kite a demolisher away. Oh, and I would probably make a lot of asphalt for the approach ground.

I am reluctant to share them because, I warn you, this one is cheesy. It takes advantage of gaps that I know bug a lot of people. It honestly bugs me in this particular case, too-this is just the first design. The base above began like this and this one is being redesigned with the same wedge legs. I also prefer for it to be realistic, even when it's not required. So, please don't hate on the cheesiness. I haven't even horde tested this one.

https://imgur.com/a/ZgaAH5f

I forgot about this thread, but kept meaning to post here. I tried one of the A17 corridor bases that many people deemed necessary to deal with zombies doing so much block damage, but it got boring too fast for me. I posted this in response to a topic elsewhere, but thought I'd bring it here to show that there are still options. I'm not gonna claim that you can use this without guns, because I never even considered that playstyle. I'm not a gun nut either and A18 will introduce more guns than I'll ever bother to use, but I'm also the type that uses whatever tool provided to solve a problem(except spikes. I hate spike fields). Guns to me are for times when it gets too hairy to use my machete or bow, while exploring and while fighting the horde.

I don't have the survival game with my A17 horde base anymore, but I do have some test builds I can show off if you are interested. They are lacking some of the features of the final design, but work as examples. They are designed for players with parkour maxed out(these are late-game, after all), but I made sure that it's not necessary while building(requires some changes here and there).

This is kind of the skeleton. It's a bit like a spider: the player fights from within the body, the legs extend to the wall and down into solid ground uninterrupted. The weak part("weak": they're made of steel both for SI and durability) of the legs are elevated, wedge-shaped and protected by those wedges jutting out. The zombies fall straight into the pit. The base of the legs are protected by several layers. This one can continue standing with 5/8 of the legs destroyed.

https://imgur.com/a/bSBKVCb

https://imgur.com/a/ax3weqB(view from the ground approaching the pit.)

Inside the "body": There are two platforms for fighting. The lower one has openings in the middle and at the corner for flinging bombs and molotovs down. There is a box, shielded from below, for extra supplies(typically mostly water for molotov mishaps.) You can only fall down if crouched(feature). The upper platform is level with the ground approaching the pit, good for another player to take out priority targets(cops) or kill and slow down groups.

https://imgur.com/a/wbvOMsc

They fall into a pit of reinforced concrete wired up with electric fences, dart traps, and turrets that I use in that order if things get a little too hairy. I rarely have to activate the darts or turrets, but use the fences quite a bit as they are strung next to the walls and keep them from damaging too much. I still use a compound bow for a good amount of kills.

Finally, I will share two pictures of a base I've been building anticipating the demolisher. The main differences are: only one floor within the body(so I can keep an eye on the approach while playing alone) and it's much easier to enter and exit in case I need to go outside to kite a demolisher away. Oh, and I would probably make a lot of asphalt for the approach ground.

I am reluctant to share them because, I warn you, this one is cheesy. It takes advantage of gaps that I know bug a lot of people. It honestly bugs me in this particular case, too-this is just the first design. The base above began like this and this one is being redesigned with the same wedge legs. I also prefer for it to be realistic, even when it's not required. So, please don't hate on the cheesiness. I haven't even horde tested this one.

https://imgur.com/a/ZgaAH5f

I love your base or horde base, very creative.

I love your base or horde base, very creative.

Thank you. It's been fun to defend and was a lot of fun to design. I only use this base against the horde. The thought of losing my stuff scares the living hell out of me and I find it's easier and less time-consuming to maintain a large base against small threats and a smaller, more sturdy base against the horde. I am looking forward to getting wrecked by demolishers as I learn what works and doesn't against them.

Thank you. It's been fun to defend and was a lot of fun to design. I only use this base against the horde. The thought of losing my stuff scares the living hell out of me and I find it's easier and less time-consuming to maintain a large base against small threats and a smaller, more sturdy base against the horde. I am looking forward to getting wrecked by demolishers as I learn what works and doesn't against them.

Well as I see it with the demolishers, any kind of 1x1, 2x2 and possibly 3x3 supports with a lot of space between them (like piers on a dock) would be antiquate whereas a solid bottom of at least 5x5 and then up will still have a solid core. I plan to use the bottom of my base 20x20 solid reinforced concrete and then up and an overhang of only 1 or 2 this way you would have plenty of time to get rid of it after even if he has gone through 7 levels of reinforced concrete the place would still be standing. 3 or 4 demolishers, well it would be time to store my things elsewhere as you do.

I just noticed your dog seems to be very happy to see someone, lets hope another dog. That is weird avatar, and I love dogs.

The hint i will give is move away from cube design. You need paths like tower defense games. The are going to take the path of least resistance so if there is a path with no walls but insanely long and full of traps... not just spikes but darts, turrets and spinning blades to get to you then you can melt down HP while they path. Also half blocks placed like they have a wide gap between them are seen as full blocks but they will fall and try to climb the path again. You have to out think the AI because they will melt a brute force base due to the path of least resistance programmed into them

The hint i will give is move away from cube design. You need paths like tower defense games. The are going to take the path of least resistance so if there is a path with no walls but insanely long and full of traps... not just spikes but darts, turrets and spinning blades to get to you then you can melt down HP while they path. Also half blocks placed like they have a wide gap between them are seen as full blocks but they will fall and try to climb the path again. You have to out think the AI because they will melt a brute force base due to the path of least resistance programmed into them

Well in A16 I had no real worries with the log spikes and heavy stainless walls, now in A17 I have decided to add some extra walls 2 full blocks and a ramp block to aim over but confuse them enough that it is 3 high. These 2 walls will be well outside of my base and catwalk towers so if they want focus on one or two spots to attack, by the time they make it through both walls then they will funnel in-line and I can just use Molotov's and frag rockets or exploding crossbow bolts and it will be to my benefit that they attack only the weakest section. This is also to keep the screamer from getting anywhere near my spike traps and I will spend way less time repairing those spike traps that are a pain to get a good angle on to repair, I really miss log spikes.

A18, I am unsure if I will even give that try until after a good 6 months are into it and it has been patched a few times or more. So there is plenty of time to think out strategy before A18 is truly playable and or enjoyable.

I am sorry but WTF is Nekkid? Oh, naked, yeah this sound a bit f***ed up so I can not see doing this to anyone unless they hacking the game somehow.

I was taking a shower in a house with people I did not know in a crack dealer area of an already bad city Pittsburgh California and they stole all my clothes even my underwear when I was showering so I came out "naked" and luckily someone was kind enough to give me a pair of pants and some socks. I ended up sleeping in my car because my keys and wallet were stolen with about $500.00 in the worst part of town "crack dealer central". I had to stay there for 3 days until I could get a ride home. This really happened and it was F***ed up, they could have just stolen my wallet.

I wish I could teleport that obnoxious trader to a place I could use a nail-gun on him. I wonder who voice acted that guy.

Yeah, this is 2 weeks late, but why tf were you taking a shower in a house with people you didn't know in "crack dealer central" with $500 cash and then leave your clothes and wallet somewhere people could access them? Sounds like you had already smoked crack to do something like that.

Yeah, this is 2 weeks late, but why tf were you taking a shower in a house with people you didn't know in "crack dealer central" with $500 cash and then leave your clothes and wallet somewhere people could access them? Sounds like you had already smoked crack to do something like that.

Well I was not necessarily going door to door with bibles. I was 19 back then I was really not up to anything that would make anyone with any decency do something like this, I was just a stupid kid that was far too trusting of people. When I was younger someone could say "do this" and I would do it not thinking of the consequences and in doing so I learned everything the hard way. It wasn't until I turned 20 that I started to mellow out and changed my lifestyle and you could say this was one reason to do so. In case you were wondering when this happened, it was in 1987, 32 years ago. I like to think I have grown up a bit since then.

I have a massive list of bad decisions and mistakes, bringing up that ridiculous story is on that list and I think going any further with it would be grounds for banning me so please back to the OP and his subject.

Archived