Are you bad if you play on longer days?

NoSoPsycho

You can change the "block damage" difficulty setting to slow down the resource gathered to time passed ratio. It seems that you have a more patient play style, and I would say that's actually a good thing. What matters is that you have fun, not how easily you can build compared to other players. It may make the game easier to have the days so long, but there are other ways to make the game hard again, and if you can still thrive under those conditions, then yes, you are a "good" player. (that doesn't have anything to do with how good of a person you are though:smile-new:)

Well, it basically make it 14daystodie, although the day/night cycle stays 7days... Other than that the difficulty stays the same.

I guess it comes down to whether:

1. You like the game start the best, and start over a lot.

2. You like the endgame the best, and like to build a lot, and so on.

Even if you like the game start, for the atmosphere, and the random place it makes you end up. But still enjoy the endgame the best. Then I'd say it doesn't really matter with the 2hour days...

If however you enjoy the game start the best for the terror and panic and so on, you should keep it on 50 or 60min days. This way you may not be fully ready on day 7 for instance... Just my opinion :)

120 minutes has pro's and con's.

Loot Respawn timer is tied to days.

Trader inventory refresh about every 3-4 days.

Airdrop is tied to days.

Day 7 horde will be harder.

More time to gather, loot, farm, craft. Better prepared on horde night.

Day 7 horde is harder because of gamestage, which is based on level, difficulty, and days survived. Everything else being equal, your level should be much higher on 120 minute days than short days, meaning more advanced enemies coming on horde night. Horde night is also longer.

However, on 60 minute days you will get twice as many horde nights, and shorter days which give less time to gather, loot, farm, craft, as well as more frequent nights breaking up your ability to move around freely which can really kill your ability to explore far from base without extensive/expensive preparation.

IMO, it's basically a play style choice. I prefer long days.

I prefer 90 min days as seems to be the sweet spot, i find that [especially in the first few days] that longer nights tend to be very long affairs where you can't rreaalllyy do that much though if you like the thrill of going out at night away from the base then its all good too.

I prefer 120 days because otherwise you spend too much time changing from one activity to another and less time actually doing productive stuff.

Not to mention, when you get in the groove while mining or something and you've got some good tunes playing, you kinda want it to last a couple songs at least.

120 mins isn't cheating because your nights are longer too. It all evens out.

Your day 7's take a little longer and give you more time to prepare, but your hordes last longer.

Once you hit day 100+ and those hordes are more than you can kill in a night yeah... you pay for those longer days!

[it's awesome though!!!!!]

It's not bad or cheap or whatever.

Play the way you find most fun!

I play Dead is dead. When I die I delete the save.

Some people hate that kind of thing.

I think it's fun.

We're both right.

Enjoy the game,

~ Lucky

If the difficulty curve is based on your level +days since death + day itself, longer days shouldn't make it easier. You will be higher level on day 2 with 120 minute days than you every will be with 10 minute days.

Granted you can gain more resources and build more, but you will pay the price of being a much higher level on horde night that someone with much shorter days. I think the horde balance should account for this if it is balanced as intended.

120 minutes has pro's and con's.

Loot Respawn timer is tied to days.

Trader inventory refresh about every 3-4 days.

Airdrop is tied to days.

Day 7 horde will be harder.

More time to gather, loot, farm, craft. Better prepared on horde night.

Day 7 horde is harder because of gamestage, which is based on level, difficulty, and days survived. Everything else being equal, your level should be much higher on 120 minute days than short days, meaning more advanced enemies coming on horde night. Horde night is also longer.

However, on 60 minute days you will get twice as many horde nights, and shorter days which give less time to gather, loot, farm, craft, as well as more frequent nights breaking up your ability to move around freely which can really kill your ability to explore far from base without extensive/expensive preparation.

IMO, it's basically a play style choice. I prefer long days.

Honestly, once your past day 7 or 10, you should be geared enough that zombies at night aren't really much of a threat anymore. A good melee weapon (spiked club, machete or sledge) or good aim with a ranged weapon is all you need. This is in a16 though, in A17, the AI is not as easy to exploit for melee as it is in a16, so you'd lean more to ranged.

As for me, I play 60 min days, I play all default options except for diffculty, I put it on survivalist, and have it so air drops location shows on the map. I would go insane but I feel the zombies are way to tanky on insane. Survivalist is a perfect mix of kill speed, and risk for me. Stuff hurts when it hits you on that diffculty, wolves for example do about 50-60 health dmg unarmored on it.

I've always played with days set to 120 min. but I think I get way too much of an advantage with preparation in building and gathering resources. Does this make you just not as good in the game?

Of course you’re not bad, the Pum Fimps in their wisdom enabled everyone to play this game how they wanted to

They could have tied up the options, made it so that nothing could be changed as in

“THIS IS HOW YOU WILL PLAY”

They didn’t, and this is why it works so well

So carry on playing your way, everyone else does, with modding/editing files, to play their way they want to

you carry on

Of course you’re not bad, the Pum Fimps in their wisdom enabled everyone to play this game how they wanted to

They could have tied up the options, made it so that nothing could be changed as in

“THIS IS HOW YOU WILL PLAY”

They didn’t, and this is why it works so well

So carry on playing your way, everyone else does, with modding/editing files, to play their way they want to

you carry on

What I'm hoping is that when this game finally does release to Beta they will continue doing that.

One of the absolute best things about 7DTD is how easy it is to Mod.

Wish other developers could understand how much the community loves that.

90min days has been the butter zone for me. I've tried 120min days and while it does allow for more productive tasks during the day, I wasn't really looking forward to the night as it passed by too slowly for me.

Have you tried Cheat Engine?

You can speed up the game while mining underground.

Doesn't give you any advantage as the zombies/time/hunger all speed up as well.

Just saves our real time.

I've tried the difficulty settings but they don't seem to do much. The longer the day length, the easier the difficulty. I believe the game defaults (or used to) to 50 minute days. I always up it to 60 minutes just to give me a little extra leeway. But like has been posted, whatever you feel like playing, that's what you should do. :)

Me I don't really like it at 2 hour days. Why I got a server and set mine to 4 hour days and set the zeds to never run. I don't really care for knuckle biting and heavy breathing while playing a game. I'm 58 years old and have had a single bypass open heart surgery so I don't really need that much stress. I dearly love this game-it's my all time favorite game and have 7412 hours in it so far. I was really disappointed when they got rid of the 4 hour day selection in SP games. Main reason why I rent a server now, and yes I do have more than one person playing on my server. Actually there's 3 of us that play on it.

We usually take the server to 90 or 120 minutes though for horde night.

Have you tried Cheat Engine?

You can speed up the game while mining underground.

Doesn't give you any advantage as the zombies/time/hunger all speed up as well.

Just saves our real time.

Wasn't aware of it haha. But then again I don't really feel the need to use it as well. 120min days does allow for more productive tasks but it also makes it a little too easy for me. For example, it takes me almost the entire day on a 90min day cycle to clear out a Crack-A-Book building. Usually by time I reach the top floor, it would be 7pm or so which gives me just enough time to make it back to my base before 10pm and to do some minor resource gathering after dropping off stuff. If it was on a 120min day, I'd not be pressed for time. I do like having that sense of urgency as well knowing that its a race against the clock.

Besides, at 90min days, the night cycle is just within my comfort zone to spend the entire night mining or crafting stuff. When playing with 120min day cycles, I find myself standing around aimlessly just waiting for time to pass quite often.

I've always played with days set to 120 min. but I think I get way too much of an advantage with preparation in building and gathering resources. Does this make you just not as good in the game?

There is only 1 "bad" way to play.

And that's playing in a way that you don't have fun.

If your having fun, mission accomplished. :)

- P

It used to be more naughty. When bloodmoon difficulty was based on day instead of gamestage there was big difference. 10 minute days were crazy hard. Now it’s all somewhat leveled out due to gamestage being the bloodmoon intensifier rather than simply day number.

i think a longer day is just a little bit more active play, since I spend most nights mining underground, and thats not more difficult, is it?

Its not a question of difficulty really. Longer nights do mean a longer period in which you have to fight the bloodmoon horde but that's about it. After a certain amount the blood moon horde also becomes a trickle of water rather than a rushing wave.

Its just that a longer night means less things to do but even then that is subjective. There are players who like the fun and excitement of going about exploring and looting at night as well.

It used to be more naughty. When bloodmoon difficulty was based on day instead of gamestage there was big difference. 10 minute days were crazy hard. Now it’s all somewhat leveled out due to gamestage being the bloodmoon intensifier rather than simply day number.

True that. Though back then there were no cop zombies with vomit projectiles as well as radiated feral zombies. It did make it incredibly difficult still for new players who just joined a server though. Had that experience once when I joined a MP server and it was over Day 100 then. First horde I got made short work of my poor wooden base. :p

I usually set days to 120 min + max daytime - it fits my base builder play style much better. I really dislike playing in the dark ever since my early Everquest days ;)

All you need is a lightstone. Too bad your edudite ass has to walk to the Commons for it...

But if you're a 'chanter you can swing by Grobb, look through the vendors and load up on some silk to sell to the Freeport monks.

Archived