When will A17 Experimental be released 4?

Roland

When will A17 Experimental be released 4?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. When will A17 Experimental be released 4?

I said Halloween. I was wrong. But by the time Halloween came around, I had stopped waiting and watching and had moved on and didn't realize my so-called deadline got missed.

December. It will be a Christmas present to us. A17 will be released Monday, Christmas Eve.

30 days later it will be declared Finished, no more updates, no more alphas, no beta, just done. What you see is what you gate, game done, time to move on folks, nothing more to see here.

@staff a cry of desperation.

Guys, out of sheer curiosity: what's the problem with making a feature-freeze, fix bugs and just release what is there already? Half a year ago we were promised a feature-freeze, bug fix, and release, yet you keep adding, and adding, and adding, and adding, and changing stuff, over and over and over... This seems endless. It's like you don't even care about releasing alpha17 for people anymore - just about adding features to hone your feeling of self-importance.

Why you don't do smaller milestones, smaller chunks with short iterations instead? Just look at your own diary!

"Added gyrocopter". Well then release it! You can fix bugs later if you find any, it's an ALPHA, not even beta, for gods sake!

"New water". What's the problem with releasing that feature exclusively, before starting on AI and Pathfinding?

How "New oak tree" is dependent on "new Unity lighting"?

Who in the world cares about beer dispenser textures when we can't even take a look at that gdamn oak tree??

Guys, do you even care about your community? Bugs now, new stuff later. Is that so hard to grasp? But most important, you have to work on your process. If you are unable to deliver nightly or at least weekly unstable builds, then there's something very wrong with your development process.

Guys, out of sheer curiosity: what's the problem with making a feature-freeze, fix bugs and just release what is there already? Half a year ago we were promised a feature-freeze, bug fix, and release, yet you keep adding, and adding, and adding, and adding, and changing stuff, over and over and over... This seems endless. It's like you don't even care about releasing alpha17 for people anymore - just about adding features to hone your feeling of self-importance.

Why you don't do smaller milestones, smaller chunks with short iterations instead? Just look at your own diary!

"Added gyrocopter". Well then release it! You can fix bugs later if you find any, it's an ALPHA, not even beta, for gods sake!

"New water". What's the problem with releasing that feature exclusively, before starting on AI and Pathfinding?

Who in the world cares about beer dispenser textures when we can't even take a look at that gdamn oak tree??

Guys, do you even care about your community? Bugs now, new stuff later. Is that so hard to grasp? But most important, you have to work on your process. If you are unable to deliver nightly or at least weekly unstable builds, then there's something very wrong with your development process.

Fanatics incoming in 3.. 2.. 1..

Guys, do you even care about your community? Bugs now, new stuff later. Is that so hard to grasp?

It seems that my return always coincides with stuff like this...

To answer the question: Yes, it is hard to grasp, as evidenced by the fact that you can't even grasp a strand of coherence. Do you want them to fix bugs later or now?

Edit: I see your slight, DaVega. I want to exclude myself from it because my comment has nothing to do with what TFP does or doesn't do. I just wish people would realize the in(s)anity of their comments.

At the end of the day if it really bothers you that much how a company runs their (successful) business, maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities. I want to play the latest and greatest as much as the next person, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than they do.

...do people really want a version that crashes when you talk to a trader because convo scripts are only half finished, or see pois with broken textures because the new atlas isn't finished yet, or makes your CPU burn up when you look at a campfire because of xyz? Jeeps that float? Birds that don't attack? Silent zombies? Trees that don't fall?

No? Then be patient.

Keep in mind, just because they don't make their daily/weekly builds public, doesn't mean that they don't do them.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your comments - just saying there may be more than meets the consumers eye...

-A

175 to date. So... Every 2 days or so?

...do people really want a version that crashes when you talk to a trader because convo scripts are only half finished, or see pois with broken textures because the new atlas isn't finished yet, or makes your CPU burn up when you look at a campfire because of xyz? Jeeps that float? Birds that don't attack? Silent zombies? Trees that don't fall?

No? Then be patient.

Of course I want random crashing, max difficulty or it's not a challenge! I suppose I can disconnect the monitor and play by sense of smell...

Of course I want random crashing, max difficulty or it's not a challenge! I suppose I can disconnect the monitor and play by sense of smell...

Enjoy it while it lasts, smell has been removed for A17 :-)

... and now I can't get Pinball Wizard by The Who out of my head, the band that is, not The World Health Organization.

So, in your mind, which "feature" should they have left out? Just put in the vehicle physics but wait til A18 to make the actual vehicles? Implement the code for the new buff system and wait to make actual buffs until A18? Overhaul the skill system but leave it blank until A18?

Guys, do you even care about your community?... If you are unable to deliver nightly or at least weekly unstable builds, then there's something very wrong with your development process.

QBwPN89.gif

Dude you need to chill out.

Seriously just go relax somewhere.

That sounds like a temper tantrum a five year old would throw.

You're better than that right?

Ok Lime, let's pick this apart, shall we?

1. "Out of sheer curiosity"

I suspect it's anything but. I think it far more likely that you've lost your gruntles somewhere along the way, and are now desperately impatient for the Pimps to release the Kracken, right?

2. "what's the problem with making a feature-freeze, fix bugs and just release what is there already?"

The problem is that some features are dependent on others, many of the games mechanics will interfere with or otherwise associate with other mechanics - this isn't a Rubiks Cube that you can just pull the stickers off and re-place them to fix, sometimes implementing one new feature REQUIRES re-writing others.

3. "Half a year ago we were promised a feature-freeze, bug fix, and release, yet you keep adding, and adding, and adding, and adding, and changing stuff, over and over and over..."

Show me where TFP have added new features, not previously announced or planned, post this supposed statement of content lock for A17? Have you been secretly sitting in on the developer meetings?

4. "This seems endless."

You need more mature seems then.

5. "It's like you don't even care about releasing alpha17 for people anymore - just about adding features to hone your feeling of self-importance."

Yeah, cause like all great customer oriented service organisations, TFP really doesn't give a hoot about their customers? Are you HONESTLY going to sit there and say TFP doesn't care whether people get A17? Really? Apparently, you're also capable of psychoanalyzing TFP's motivation and internal feelings because you've divined the reasons for the delay. I mean, you'd have to be, right, otherwise the last half of that statement would be just pure ad hominem, right?

6. "Why you don't do smaller milestones, smaller chunks with short iterations instead?"

Ahh, yeah, you mean like when the Pimps ASKED the community if they'd prefer a shorter, less content rich alpha cycle with more frequent wipes or a slower, more content rich alpha cycle with less frequent wipes and the community OVERWHELMINGLY preferred the latter, the Pimps should have just ignored that, right?

7. "You can fix bugs later if you find any, it's an ALPHA, not even beta, for gods sake!"

Because no-one's ever complained when their A(x).0e version crashed and killed their game, right?

8. "How "New oak tree" is dependent on "new Unity lighting"?"

Are you a professional Unity programmer and developer? Do you KNOW that it's not, can you explain HOW it's not?

9. "Guys, do you even care about your community?"

I can see why you'd wonder this, because their CONSTANT interaction with the community, via these forums, twitter posts, videos and the like is all just for show, right?

10. "Bugs now, new stuff later. Is that so hard to grasp?"

Perhaps the flat out dumbest thing in your post - do you have ANY understanding of what the Alpha process is and means? Alpha is PRECISELY the time that you add new content in, and PRECISELY the time that bugs take a lower priority to that new content. Look it up.

11. "If you are unable to deliver nightly..."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

12. "or at least weekly..."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

13. "unstable builds, then there's something very wrong with your development process."

Guess what? They do, it's just you're not getting them. Indeed only a small segment of the community are, their Q&A testers, people who are there specifically to test the games features, not trying to play the game and just work around bugs, people with known hardware, performing assigned and/or specific tests and reporting back on them.

In short Lime, A17 IS coming, it'll be out just as soon as it IS ready, and people WILL enjoy an Alpha that has more content in it than any previously released AND includes a MAJOR engine update to boot. That it hasn't done so in your preferred timeline is unfortunate (for you), but that is what it is.

Ok Lime, let's pick this apart, shall we?

1. "Out of sheer curiosity"

I suspect it's anything but. I think it far more likely that you've lost your gruntles somewhere along the way, and are now desperately impatient for the Pimps to release the Kracken, right?

2. "what's the problem with making a feature-freeze, fix bugs and just release what is there already?"

The problem is that some features are dependent on others, many of the games mechanics will interfere with or otherwise associate with other mechanics - this isn't a Rubiks Cube that you can just pull the stickers off and re-place them to fix, sometimes implementing one new feature REQUIRES re-writing others.

3. "Half a year ago we were promised a feature-freeze, bug fix, and release, yet you keep adding, and adding, and adding, and adding, and changing stuff, over and over and over..."

Show me where TFP have added new features, not previously announced or planned, post this supposed statement of content lock for A17? Have you been secretly sitting in on the developer meetings?

4. "This seems endless."

You need more mature seems then.

5. "It's like you don't even care about releasing alpha17 for people anymore - just about adding features to hone your feeling of self-importance."

Yeah, cause like all great customer oriented service organisations, TFP really doesn't give a hoot about their customers? Are you HONESTLY going to sit there and say TFP doesn't care whether people get A17? Really? Apparently, you're also capable of psychoanalyzing TFP's motivation and internal feelings because you've divined the reasons for the delay. I mean, you'd have to be, right, otherwise the last half of that statement would be just pure ad hominem, right?

6. "Why you don't do smaller milestones, smaller chunks with short iterations instead?"

Ahh, yeah, you mean like when the Pimps ASKED the community if they'd prefer a shorter, less content rich alpha cycle with more frequent wipes or a slower, more content rich alpha cycle with less frequent wipes and the community OVERWHELMINGLY preferred the latter, the Pimps should have just ignored that, right?

7. "You can fix bugs later if you find any, it's an ALPHA, not even beta, for gods sake!"

Because no-one's ever complained when their A(x).0e version crashed and killed their game, right?

8. "How "New oak tree" is dependent on "new Unity lighting"?"

Are you a professional Unity programmer and developer? Do you KNOW that it's not, can you explain HOW it's not?

9. "Guys, do you even care about your community?"

I can see why you'd wonder this, because their CONSTANT interaction with the community, via these forums, twitter posts, videos and the like is all just for show, right?

10. "Bugs now, new stuff later. Is that so hard to grasp?"

Perhaps the flat out dumbest thing in your post - do you have ANY understanding of what the Alpha process is and means? Alpha is PRECISELY the time that you add new content in, and PRECISELY the time that bugs take a lower priority to that new content. Look it up.

11. "If you are unable to deliver nightly..."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

12. "or at least weekly..."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

13. "unstable builds, then there's something very wrong with your development process."

Guess what? They do, it's just you're not getting them. Indeed only a small segment of the community are, their Q&A testers, people who are there specifically to test the games features, not trying to play the game and just work around bugs, people with known hardware, performing assigned and/or specific tests and reporting back on them.

In short Lime, A17 IS coming, it'll be out just as soon as it IS ready, and people WILL enjoy an Alpha that has more content in it than any previously released AND includes a MAJOR engine update to boot. That it hasn't done so in your preferred timeline is unfortunate (for you), but that is what it is.

That rebounded quickly!

Haha!

dsbriU6.gif

Archived