When will A17 Experimental be released 4?

Roland

When will A17 Experimental be released 4?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. When will A17 Experimental be released 4?

The content I am referring to was released within a span of the last 5 weeks or so. I've said the instances I'm referring to make it SEEM amateurish. The reference of noob was stated by Joel in his own video followed by him admitting to not having played for more than a year.

Is that so? Then what about this post of yours where you don't say "SEEM"?

It's as if a little prep time to get things in order before hitting record would kill him. It's clear they don't have a marketing or PR department cause it's amateur hour. "oh wait, I dont know what this is, I don't know if that's been implemented. It's been 16 months since last update and we're still spitballing... But soon guys.. soon." give me break.

Does that come off as constructive criticism to you? Because damn, man, if that's what you call constructive criticism then I sure as hell would not be taking your advice, were I the developer.

As for this:

Developers of early access games give updates about their development. TFP were doing that, and that's great. But right when they suggested a likely release, and surpassed it, they stopped with the updates. Then the trickling of information began with poorly orchestrated delivery and further anticipated delays.

If the updates were slower or less frequent (which I have not invested the time in verifying, because who has time for that), it's probably due to the fact that the closer they are to release, the less there is to show. First they introduce their new content, systems, etc. which they show off to us, and in the later stages they polish them and debug them, which isn't exactly displayable material.

Finally, I'm just going to point you towards a post you made not long ago (emphasis mine):

Enough has been said about this game, imo. Release an update and then let's talk about that and future updates. It way past due

Give it a break. You've made your points. Now sit back, relax and wait.

So i'll set myself aside from the presumed camp you've associated me with. I'm calling on acknowledgment of what they've produced and what small changes I've suggested can make a huge difference. If you're saying TFP have cordoned themselves off from the community, I would like to hear that from Roland because that's sound really bizarre. As I've said elsewhere, I'm taking issue with how up until recently (following the loose timeline they provided ("probable release") they've stopped communicating or produced ad hoc videos and social media posts with little focus and appearing to be ignorant of workings of their own systems etc - this, at a time, following what they expected to be a release etc.

These are pertinent concerns that warrant some sort of response. I think the community should be expecting one to0.

"Cordoned themselves off from the community"? No. I neither said nor implied that. In fact, I think the devs' presence in these forums actually flies in the face of that mentality. No one has stopped communicating. At all. Faatal, Madmole, Gazz...they all post in here. They try to answer questions when and where they can. There are some questions they won't address (as is their right, honestly), but they hardly have ceased communication.

Your problem is that they're not communicating what you want, how you want. That's your problem, not theirs. They don't owe you an explanation, or even---quelle surprise---acknowledgement. And you make my point simply by virtue of the fact that even what they do manage to produce isn't good enough. Those "ad hoc" videos are still things that take MM away from his work as a dev. They're things he does over and above his responsibilities as a developer, and still you want to complain, because you feel like it should be done differently/better. Then you launch into complaints about MM making comments about not knowing the systems and their inner workings...shockingly, as part of a dev TEAM, he isn't going to be fully-versed on all of the systems, much the way that some of the coders in the game may or may not be fully-versed in how the shader system, material atlas, or other art bits function. People specialize, for pity's sake...yet you want to judge the entirety of a game's development team based on the comments of a single member of that team.

It's asinine. And no, these are not 'pertinent' concerns. They're your own personal projections and assumptions about things that you know literally nothing about, as you are neither a TFP developer nor any other form of employee of theirs. So no, a TFP response isn't warranted.

Feel free to expect whatever you like, but you are entitled to none of it.

Like, I get that TFP want to have a release of something they are proud of, and want the A17e release to be exciting and want to surprise us with content. But is it really worth it if A17e doesn't release until 16 or 18 months since the last one, while saying it will release reasonably soon 8 months after they're last update. Yes, everyone who owns the game will try A17 whenever the heck it releases because it's FREE so why not.

I argue their reputation was sacrificed in the process. Unorganized vids that make it seem like TFPs are incompetent, noob devs at their own game at least 4 months delay after a 12 month wait...

The only competence I'm interested in is their competence in game making. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe TFP stopped giving release date estimates, not because the community was responding unfavourable to their previous failures to deliver upon them, but because they came to their own realization that they are piss-poor (pardon my French) at dealing with estimating?

I mean, not all developers are good at the same things. Some are good at making a nice voxel survival game (TFP), some are good at estimating when they can deliver (other companies).

Roland, did you dump all this stuff in here? I was avoiding the Dev Diary, and here it has been brought to the few threads that I still look into. Good grief.

This is where it belongs. The dev diary isn't supposed to have this stuff and I made this thread for the main purpose of having a thread on this topic.

Seem to be a lot of people with too much time on their hands...

There was a news article about a woman wanting to have labioplasty (because she was unhappy with the "unevenness" of the lips) I said there was a woman with too much time on her hands, hubby said she had too much time on her hands with no pants.

Stop being a manchild! Oh wait..

Seriously though, even the "final release" will not really be the final release and will have to go through a lot of testing and bug fixing and that's already a release after fixing many other bugs prior to that release, that's for sure, but if you watched some of the latest videos, you could notice one thing that madmole mentioned. It's not much in the whole scale of the game, but it's definitely a huge show stopper that will take them quite some time to deal with, no matter how many times madmole said they are getting pretty close to release of the Alpha 17 experimental.

It's about perks or skills. At the time of making that video, probably 80% or maybe more was still unfinished and didn't work, that means they must be added to the game first, then they have to test them internally to see whether they work as intended or not and only then they can start the balancing procedure (because the perks must be present and working in order to proceed with the balancing part of the task) and then they will have to test them internally to see if the balancing feels right.

If they didn't have anything else to do, this alone would probably take them couple of months to finish if they didn't want to rush things and even then they couldn't really guarantee that there are no bugs, so that would be the time for community to step in and test it.

I agree but after seeing the video and perk system, im skeptical how some of these perks will play off with modded guns if it stacks.so lots of things thst need testing.a couple of months may be an understatement.

LMAO 4 years for an update. I gave up 3 years ago. For the life of me I can’t understand why people make up numbers. That’s only supposed to happen when you take the square root of a negative one.

This game is what 20 years in the making and still in Alpha.

you only got, what 60 people working on game...The release date will be on 2030 and your like 70 years old roland.

Also happy birthday.

LOL 2 years for an update. I gave up a year ago. For the life of me I can't understand why they keep telling everyone about the great work they are doing, yet 2 years and not a damned thing. Sorry changing review to a negative one.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!

It's about perks or skills. At the time of making that video, probably 80% or maybe more was still unfinished and didn't work, that means they must be added to the game first, then they have to test them internally to see whether they work as intended or not and only then they can start the balancing procedure (because the perks must be present and working in order to proceed with the balancing part of the task) and then they will have to test them internally to see if the balancing feels right.

If they didn't have anything else to do, this alone would probably take them couple of months to finish if they didn't want to rush things and even then they couldn't really guarantee that there are no bugs, so that would be the time for community to step in and test it.

Could you explain how you get to that 80% number? I heard MM say that they were still hooking up some of the perks but I didn't get an impression how many that might have been, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, seems all possible.

Furthermore hooking up the perks should often be just a couple of lines in xml if the buff systems is anywhere near completion. Naturally when you hook them up the testers immediately finds a handful of bugs, some of which are critical enough to need a fix. But depending on the state of the buff system (which we know nothing about) one unfinished perk could mean a week of programming and debugging or just half a day. So why are you so sure about the many months?

Could you explain how you get to that 80% number? I heard MM say that they were still hooking up some of the perks but I didn't get an impression how many that might have been, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, seems all possible.

Furthermore hooking up the perks should often be just a couple of lines in xml if the buff systems is anywhere near completion. Naturally when you hook them up the testers immediately finds a handful of bugs, some of which are critical enough to need a fix. But depending on the state of the buff system (which we know nothing about) one unfinished perk could mean a week of programming and debugging or just half a day. So why are you so sure about the many months?

Let the time that we still have to wait be the answer.

@ Roland

How long does it usually take from build to build? I've never followed the history of that, so I'm a bit curious.

You really cant compare this build with other builds cuz this might be the biggest one,overhaul of graphics and perks.Feels like a fresh new game.

Im sorry this question wasnt for me.

Archived