Underground Debate #589

konrax

If they were going to change the underground it seems the easiest way to prevent people is to use a system already built in like Oxygen levels. Just as it goes down quickly under water, it could go down slowly as you go underground and deplete faster the deeper you go. The only way to increase Oxygen without machines as others have described would be to dig a big enough hole to increase the oxygen levels. I would assume that would be an easy change since the under water system already exists.

This new iteration is going to need much testing before we even decide if we like it or how fast they can dig or how far they can sense you. This is not done, done stuff.

i hope, Z-s not sense you more than 40 blocks, maybe max 60 blocks, if you do loud noise (auger). otherwise mining would be extremely dangerous. would be safer do open mines, so you can fight, not being trapped in tunnel.

on horde nights they can sense you anyway.

Just add Morlocks to the underground!

and an incurable Morlock disease that slowly builds up over time spent underground...

till eventually...after weeks , you become a Morlock as well! ;) So you die and then now , there is a monster in your base you have to kill to get your stuff back lol...

morlock.jpg.abe6f45a3395132dc49ae403df409a14.jpg

If only a Dev would talk about the difficulty of undergound:

Yeah static terrain will solve that :) Just teasing. Yeah eventually underground bases won't be as viable one way or another. Lack of oxygen, vitamin d deficiency, black lung from mining in enclosed spaces and better zombie pathing come to mind as the best solutions.

Just add Morlocks to the underground!

and an incurable Morlock disease that slowly builds up over time spent underground...

till eventually...after weeks , you become a Morlock as well! ;) So you die and then now , there is a monster in your base you have to kill to get your stuff back lol...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25104[/ATTACH]

Wtf i just read?

Except you would have to go really damn deep or be approaching a geothermal pocket for that to happen. On average, the temperature increases by about 25 degrees C for every kilometer of depth (1000 m) The maximum depth in the game is nowhere near even one kilometer in depth.

Yeah, not exactly realistic, but the game mechanics of temperature extremes are a good stand-in for unpleasant environmental factors in how they push players in a certain area. Anyway, now that I think about it, making the temperature increase by half an absurd degree farenheight for every meter you go down isn't that much weirder than 100% indestructible bedrock.

If they were going to change the underground it seems the easiest way to prevent people is to use a system already built in like Oxygen levels. Just as it goes down quickly under water, it could go down slowly as you go underground and deplete faster the deeper you go. The only way to increase Oxygen without machines as others have described would be to dig a big enough hole to increase the oxygen levels. I would assume that would be an easy change since the under water system already exists.

Water is much easier because its a binary head submerged or not. The issue with air is that there are varying densities, and as the devs have stated before, it's quite hard to get a good oxygen density profile. For example, how do define "a big enough" hole with a fast running and realistic algorithm?

Many people have asked for and are receiving underground threats, so that underground is no longer a safe and boring zone. Some people build underground bunkers which are completely safe, thus exploiting current game mechanics.

However, the largest base-building exploit remains untouched and safe. I am referring to secondary bases for "heat" related activities, which exist solely to cheese screamer hordes. Secondary "heat" bases keep my main base completely safe from screamer hordes and removes their threat.

I feel like this should be addressed. I think any craftable item that raises the heat map should raise it to max instantly if there is no sleeping bag spawn protection. The screamer hordes called by those items should be gps'd onto the offending forge/campfire/etc.

Give an incentive to keep your crafting stations in your main base and defend them as needed or else be conservative with their use.

I have read over and over about eliminating "safe spaces". If we are gonna do that, let's do it thoroughly.

thats not cheese thats common sense

if Im going to do anything that is guaranteed to attract unwanted attention (in real life or in game) Im sure as hell not going to do it near my safe house.

I'm just tired of playing in a biome that is completely non-threatening and unchallenging. I want TFP to add something which makes underground living/working a challenge to my gameplay.

-A

Wow, be honest here... are you ' tired ' of playing in those types of biones or do you just not want people to play in those biomes?

Cause there's a VERY easy & simple solution to being ' tired ' of those biomes. Dont build in them. Avoid them, leave them be. You know you can beat them, place in-game restrictions for yourself.

To go along with the thinning air levels underground, it would be really cool to see what TFPs or modders could do with that. Like needing to install ventilation shafts connected to a fan unit which needs power. Gating those behind some skills and items that are tough to get your hands on could slow the rush to get an underground bunker starting day 1 and push it to mid to late game. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit underground but something like this would still let players who like the underground do their thing(eventually) and makes the early game more challenging.

To go along with the thinning air levels underground, it would be really cool to see what TFPs or modders could do with that. Like needing to install ventilation shafts connected to a fan unit which needs power. Gating those behind some skills and items that are tough to get your hands on could slow the rush to get an underground bunker starting day 1 and push it to mid to late game. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit underground but something like this would still let players who like the underground do their thing(eventually) and makes the early game more challenging.

im almost positive venting has been mentioned time & time again. it would be pretty awesome, could even add some AC units / heaters to bases to mitigate the heat without having to wear hideous clothing.

no one makes you to go underground. live in open space as long as you want.

Wow, be honest here... are you ' tired ' of playing in those types of biones or do you just not want people to play in those biomes?

Cause there's a VERY easy & simple solution to being ' tired ' of those biomes. Dont build in them. Avoid them, leave them be. You know you can beat them, place in-game restrictions for yourself.

Don't tell me how to play my game. I want to go underground and I want to be challenged to survive and thrive there. Just like when I am above ground in any of the other biomes.

Most people who want a challenge to the underworld don't give a polished turd about how anyone else is playing. I sure don't.

-A

Get over yourselves. Me wanting dangers below ground has NOTHING to do with you. I want dangers there because it would make the game more fun for me. I could care less how you play your game but I want a world where no place is safe.

100 percent this. Do you ever notice how underground dwellers seem to be SO resistant to ANY forms of threats to their cozy lifestyle, yet above ground is consistently made harder and more complex?

We now have to contend with better AI pathing, zombies who can knock down pillars and possibly hit up to us on ledges, bears who can knock down tree houses etc. Oh but make ONE suggestion to add some gas underground and all of a sudden we get wishes for cancer for breathing fresh air. Be Tee Dubs there IS sunblocker in the game already. Go ahead and look at creative. So maybe one day there WILL be cancer from the sun. And Ill gladly accept that challenge. Because complacency in any game = fail.

You know how to get an underground settler out of his hole? Drop an ant down there, he will panic REAL quick.

100 percent this. Do you ever notice how underground dwellers seem to be SO resistant to ANY forms of threats to their cozy lifestyle, yet above ground is consistently made harder and more complex?

We now have to contend with better AI pathing, zombies who can knock down pillars and possibly hit up to us on ledges, bears who can knock down tree houses etc. Oh but make ONE suggestion to add some gas underground and all of a sudden we get wishes for cancer for breathing fresh air. Be Tee Dubs there IS sunblocker in the game already. Go ahead and look at creative. So maybe one day there WILL be cancer from the sun. And Ill gladly accept that challenge. Because complacency in any game = fail.

You know how to get an underground settler out of his hole? Drop an ant down there, he will panic REAL quick.

I also would love more underground threats!!

It also seems that ground dwellers are adamant about making life underground more hazardous for us moles lol. They hate us cause they ain't us lol, I am kidding Jax. Everybody has their opinions and they are all correct for their own preferred style of play. People also seem pretty set in their ways about the issue. Maybe they could make it on the options page just like you can control number of zombie spawns or always running, you could set difficulty underground or maybe not. Whatever TFP decides I'll adapt.

It also seems that ground dwellers are adamant about making life underground more hazardous for us moles lol. They hate us cause they ain't us lol, I am kidding Jax. Everybody has their opinions and they are all correct for their own preferred style of play. People also seem pretty set in their ways about the issue. Maybe they could make it on the options page just like you can control number of zombie spawns or always running, you could set difficulty underground or maybe not. Whatever TFP decides I'll adapt.

The problem is more that a lot of people don't go underground not because they don't want to do so, they're not "ground dwellers". They don't go underground because there's no interest in doing so. No threats, nothing to be found besides resources that can also be found without digging. Yet, the world does go way deeper than the surface, so it makes sense that they'd want TFP to add *something* to it to make it both challenging and rewarding, to put it in line with the rest of the game.

I was told the new update would be out by now? What's up with that?

- - - Updated - - -

I also would love more underground threats!!

The game is broken until they fix this. The game should be a challenge, not something where you have to deliberately create the challenge. A good game forces the challenge upon you. Right now, uou can literally live in safety without ever dealing with zombies. The game needs to provide an actual reason to leave your base outside of sheer boredom. Agriculture, mining, construction, and industry all need a nerf. Those things would be nigh impossible in a real life survival situation, but they are ludicrously easy within this game. Cobblestone wall should be endgame technology, and steel walls are simply OP absurdity. The game should encourage exploration and scavenging as THE means of survival, rather than something you do because you are handicapping yourself.

Honestly, in a real zombie apocalypse, you'd be an IDIOT to go dig a hole and live in it. You'd probably die even without any zombies. The game designers need to make that equally true within this game.

The game designers also need to get away from trying to make super mutant zombies, and just focus on the fact that normal zombies should be terrifying. Just nerf the construction and let the normal zombies become a perpetual threat. Don't make us mod the game to enjoy it.

Fortunately MadMole has already stated that the underground biome is going to be revamped and made just as dangerous as above ground biomes.

-A

It can't happen soon enough, bunker dwellers need to be in just as much danger as above ground players.

Here is a simple idea for stopping people from building underground bases at bedrock because people are making it entirely too complicated.

Have a floor limit that way you flat out can't place building blocks lower than a specified block level that way any structure you build isn't below the range that a zombie can sense you from, this completely stops the complaining about bunkers being cheaty.

Now wasn't that easy?

Here is a simple idea for stopping people from building underground bases at bedrock because people are making it entirely too complicated.

Have a floor limit that way you flat out can't place building blocks lower than a specified block level that way any structure you build isn't below the range that a zombie can sense you from, this completely stops the complaining about bunkers being cheaty.

Now wasn't that easy?

That's not the point at all. People want some sense of accomplishment. I want to build, defend and maintain my bunker if I decide to build it underground. What you proposed is nothing more than what we have now.

Archived