Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Well I can't promise you that :)

Your gmail, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon... THEY will almost certainly NOT upgrade their encryption, before people get hit... That's how it always is... They still use insecure methods.

Edit:

Well, to be fair a QC does not exist yet...

Because of a quantum computer ability to crack password encryption extremely fast, the subsequent moments and days after the first person runs a reliable quantum computer over a few thousand Qbits (give or take a few) will change the world as we know it:

Depends. If people were better at damage-control BEFORE the damage happened, much of that could probably be averted. At least the scientists are already hard at work evaluating algorithms for post-quantum cryptography and there are already algorithms that are believed to be safe.

Depending on if they are a good person or not all crypto-currencies could become worthless almost overnight.

A few ponzi schemes removed sounds like a good change to me :smile-new:

Thank god my goofy posts are slightly better received [than a post that was deleted]. At least I try not to sound hostile in any manner as... its a game! Everyone wants to have a few laughs! :)

But to be fair, some of my European friends say the Dutch can be a bit grumpy. Maybe living with the threat of the north sea flooding in and drowning everyone if someone makes a serious mistake could make anyone a bit grumpy.

April 24th will mark six months since the last update. What's funny is that people say they want updates that just optimize and fix bugs instead of adding new content but then they never want to count those as "real" updates later...

Thank god my goofy posts are slightly better received. At least I try not to sound hostile in any manner as... its a game! Everyone wants to have a few laughs! :)

But to be fair, some of my European friends say the Dutch can be a bit grumpy. Maybe living with the threat of the north sea flooding in and drowning everyone if someone makes a serious mistake could make anyone a bit grumpy.

I know you mean well, even if I don't usually agree with your ideas. I'd take a dozen of you in lieu of 1 Eeyore poster.

So after...however long it's been, I see we have some mechanical geniuses that build quantum computers for a living (Google should be tickled at your temerity), Trolland admitted to being wrong, which I am sure is a ruse to make us let our guard down, the marshmallow behemoth has been confirmed, and Madmole is hiding keys for a17 experimental in his videos.

Did I miss anything

April 24th will mark six months since the last update. What's funny is that people say they want updates that just optimize and fix bugs instead of adding new content but then they never want to count those as "real" updates later...

What you say,

15 552 000 Seconds since last patch...

sooooooooooooooooooooo much ^^

I would like to see retrievable arrows, bolts, etc and bullets (lead), also auto policing of brass at a specific percentage of expended, so if you shoot 50 bullets you get 35 casings back as it would go a long ways towards immersion.

I think their reasoning is that 95 percent of the team was working on A17 well before April 24th. 95 percent is a number out of my butt, but u know what I mean.

Personally I dont want it to be released too soon, Id rather more content. If bandits come in A17 and is delayed a few months its better than waiting a year AFTER A17 for bandits.

Ok here's a request for a17, or if it exists already someone please enlighten me:

Whirlpools in the water from zombies that died there and decomposed, their decomp block then despawning causing the water block to be replaced with air. Is there a way to fix the whirlpool, or could a way be created?

Both my single player game and the one my son recently had me start with him have bodies of water close by enough that wandering zombies perished of boredom in them, unnoticed, and now we have permanent unsightly whirlpools.

Nothing say immersion like auto-policing of spent casings.

Shell casings are hard to see on the ground, if you want to spend the time to find them all then be my guest but I would leave them on the ground if it wasn't automatic.

Thought before snark, what a novel idea.

I would 100% be OK with Alpha 18 doing this, then we can progress to Beta.

"Decision making" is a rather broad concept.

Currently the theory for a quantum computer is, that instead of calculation with 1's and 0's, it "weighs" the entire function and returns a result with high probability. This is almost instant, but you need to run it multiple times to get additional results and/or accuracy...

This could potentially make it good for complicated AI, instead of the currently invisined VI.

Research calculations will benefit enormously!

However I find it hard to see it used for a straight line gaming computer... May happen... Maybe I just have no imagination, but I know physics, so theres that :)

My thoughts are: if you're familiar with Google letting their DeepDream create pictures, I wonder if a quantum processor or true AI would do something similar with gaming. If people routinely outsmart the zombies, or zombies run in circles, could the computer figure out how to fix that or make the zombies deliberately attack structural points to collapse a building, or could the computer decide to dream, starting up your games and "playing" in them like a subconscious state.

I'm also interested in how much a quantum computer based AI could advance science and physics. Maybe the whole difference between our current technology and Star Trek or Matrix or Star Wars or fusion power is letting a sufficiently complex AI develop theories and perform experiments. Science is pretty routinely making discoveries that have long been thought "impossible". QP AI could give us leaps in science that make the last two centuries look like the stone age in comparison. Fingers crossed.

If an XP bar gets full, but nobody saw the HP bar taking a hit, did it still take a hit? :p

I had too... JK :)

Carry on

*Cough* Video *Cough*, uh, I must be getting down with something : (

Ok here's a request for a17, or if it exists already someone please enlighten me:

Whirlpools in the water from zombies that died there and decomposed, their decomp block then despawning causing the water block to be replaced with air. Is there a way to fix the whirlpool, or could a way be created?

Both my single player game and the one my son recently had me start with him have bodies of water close by enough that wandering zombies perished of boredom in them, unnoticed, and now we have permanent unsightly whirlpools.

Somewhere back in the conversation, maybe even as far back as the A16 thread, I believe it was mention that revisiting the water physics was something slated for A18. If it managed to make its way into A17, I wouldn't cry, but I want those bandits more. And, fewer circling zeds. And a working stealth system. And... so forth.

My thoughts are: if you're familiar with Google letting their DeepDream create pictures, I wonder if a quantum processor or true AI would do something similar with gaming. If people routinely outsmart the zombies, or zombies run in circles, could the computer figure out how to fix that or make the zombies deliberately attack structural points to collapse a building, or could the computer decide to dream, starting up your games and "playing" in them like a subconscious state.

I'm also interested in how much a quantum computer based AI could advance science and physics. Maybe the whole difference between our current technology and Star Trek or Matrix or Star Wars or fusion power is letting a sufficiently complex AI develop theories and perform experiments. Science is pretty routinely making discoveries that have long been thought "impossible". QP AI could give us leaps in science that make the last two centuries look like the stone age in comparison. Fingers crossed.

giphy.gif

What would be more likely to happen is that the AI would use a range of previously undiscovered exploits and cheats to defeat the player, leading to frustration and a general downturn in fun.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/18/03/01/0856216/ai-cheats-at-old-atari-games-by-finding-unknown-bugs-in-the-code

A good games master doesn't just play to defeat the players, they play to provide the players a situation they can overcome with a bit of difficulty. This requires you to empathize with both the players and their characters. Until you can get an AI to empathize they will only play to win, or whatever goal you train them for. Even with a quantum computer the chances of an empathetic AI making it into home computing within the next 30 years is highly unlikely.

As for sociological and scientific advances by the use of advanced AI... you must remember that we have yet to make a non-psychopathic AI. They literally have no ability to care, not about society, not about individuals. You want to see what happens when a psychopath is given too much data? Have a look at this weeks tech news...

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/04/09/1444202/facebook-suspends-another-data-analytics-firm-after-cnbc-discovers-it-was-using-tactics-like-cambridge-analytica

https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/04/09/191202/youtube-is-illegally-collecting-data-from-children-say-advocacy-groups

Archived