Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

speaking of boats can we confirm or deny wether or not fish will be added? and fishing?

i do know they opened up a lot of space in the game with the new mesh system so it would be possible. we wouldn't need anything extravagant like 20 different kinds of fish. except maybe 2? normal fish and ZOMBIE PIRANHAS! so it makes swimming in water more difficult. and you can build a MOTE! AROUND YOUR BASE!!! AND FILL IT WITH FREAKING ZOMBIE PIRANHAS WITH FREAKING LAZER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS!

or i'll just settle for mutated sea bass

Finally someone who understands how cool zombie fishes would be, preventing the player from being 100% safe when swimming in a lake.

Zombie fish ftw.

Finally someone who understands how cool zombie fishes would be, preventing the player from being 100% safe when swimming in a lake.

Zombie fish ftw.

I'm all for this but can we include better water physics that lag less and vortex less, Maybe water more like minecraft. Possibly all of this included in Alpha 18 with a revisit to Bandits or Boss Tier zombies like the Behemoth? That would be great, I'd fall in love with this game all over again.

I'm all for this but can we include better water physics that lag less and vortex less, Maybe water more like minecraft. Possibly all of this included in Alpha 18 with a revisit to Bandits or Boss Tier zombies like the Behemoth? That would be great, I'd fall in love with this game all over again.

I mean, if I had to choose of course I would choose bandits before all else, but yeah I guess some water improvements would be pretty cool to have.

I don't really think that your going to want zombie fish in your moat when a major hoard attack. If anything, they could hinder you from getting away if your base is overrun. Obviously they won't attack other zombies.

Not a great idea for anything else ether. PVP players are too smart to dip there toes into that and will find a way around.

Bandits are unheard of and not even an issue at this point.

On the other hand having fish would be a great idea. If anything, for food. But one thing that TFP's will need to work on is keeping them from coming up and swimming on land. ;)

obv you've not put too much thought into this game. you want your base harder to approach. and if you have a moat you have one way in and two ways out. i always have at least two more ways out of my base. you never leave just one entrance.

"PVP players are too smart to dip there toes into that and will find a way around"

and i believe you just made my point. zombie piranhas are perfect for pvp.

as for the around part......bro......just think for a second......THATS EVERYTHING you see an obstacle in 7 days in pvp you ALWAYS try to find a way around it. nothing is impenetrable.

and besides why have a draw bridge at all if your not going to make moats worth having?

why have a draw bridge at all if your not going to make moats worth having?

Why does a drawbridge have to be over water, mine is over a 6x6 block deep ditch that surrounds my base full of spinning blade traps and auto turrets with spikes on the walls, it's a zombie death trap, you are thinking way too narrowly.

You can make a base completely impenetrable that no hoard can break through period, I do it all the time.

With a crossbow and exploding bolts nothing will live long enough to get through your defenses anyway.

i'm getting the feeling that state of decay 2 is going to release before alpha 17. which is bad. not just because state of decay 1 was released the same year as 7d2d. but also because i'm not going to care about alpha 17 if i have state of decay 2. bad planning. like dropping an fps against a new call of duty release.

i only point this out because i care.

Game will be fun but it will be a different itch than 7d2d for me.

So after "fishing" around a bit in other survival games this week now that Ravenhearst is released I have been noticing something. There are several mechanics in play in other survival games that seem pretty standard now. NOT including these I think hurts 7 Days a bit.

-Fishing: It's in every now game as standard now. PixArk, Subsistence, Hold Your Own etc ALL come with fishing already in.

-Food Urgency: Spoilage may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is in most major new games, as is refrigeration/preservation.

-Bandits/NPC: Subsistence and Hold Your OWn come to mind but others too are developing Bandits who think and act on their own.

-Water Dangers: Piranhas, Sharks, all sorts of wildlife in water. And speaking of...

-Water Physics: Every new game that's voxelated has running water. Portal Knights, Minecraft, PixArk all have water that moves and flows. It not only makes things more exciting but it can be used in builds as well.

-Underground Dangers: Not sand worms or digging zombies, but lava and environmental dangers. These aren't as standard but all voxel games i know of have at LEAST lava and some have underground spawning entities in darker areas.

I will defend this game to the death as I love it. But when you see what other games are putting together sometimes it feels like 7 Days is behind the times in these areas. A17 looks quite amazing but I am not going to lie having even SOME of these in the game at SOME point would greatly add to its value, its replayability and provide new dangers and situations for us to overcome. Being that these seem standard now I DO hope that one day they will at least be looked at. The last thing I wish to do is play a new survival game and say to myself "wow that would really be something that adds to the 7 days experience. I wish..." because there was a time when 7 days WAS the game every other game looked at and said "I wish".

7 Days is blazing trails in all the areas like POIs etc. It would be awesome to see them keep up with current trail blazers as well.

Piranha PSA

Uh, shouldn't #4 be "Stay the hell out of water that has piranhas in it"?

hoo noon that's pity it could be a very good addition to the gameplay and diversifier zombies types <3

Agreed 100%. This shifts the onus onto the bandits to provide the challenging endgame experience we're all looking for.

So after "fishing" around a bit in other survival games this week now that Ravenhearst is released I have been noticing something. There are several mechanics in play in other survival games that seem pretty standard now. NOT including these I think hurts 7 Days a bit....

How many of those games are full voxel?

I'd say it's best to leave the above to DLC if it needs to be in; scope creep is to be avoided this late in Alpha. I'd go so far as to argue if 7DTD sticks to its current focus and adds excellent banditry and perhaps a colonial questline endgame (optional), the "lack" of the above won't harm it much.

The one exception to this: Food spoilage, I agree, should be in. It is the best solution to food abundance, and if there is a post-release option to adjust how soft/harsh it is, this part of the game can easily be tailored to ones taste.

I can imagine The Fun Pimps hiring extensively for their next game to speed up development cycles. Makes sense from a business standpoint to crank out gems as fast as possible without compromising on quality. As long as they stay balanced it's a win win for everyone.

So after "fishing" around a bit in other survival games this week now that Ravenhearst is released I have been noticing something. There are several mechanics in play in other survival games that seem pretty standard now. NOT including these I think hurts 7 Days a bit.

-Fishing: It's in every now game as standard now. PixArk, Subsistence, Hold Your Own etc ALL come with fishing already in.

-Food Urgency: Spoilage may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is in most major new games, as is refrigeration/preservation.

-Bandits/NPC: Subsistence and Hold Your OWn come to mind but others too are developing Bandits who think and act on their own.

-Water Dangers: Piranhas, Sharks, all sorts of wildlife in water. And speaking of...

-Water Physics: Every new game that's voxelated has running water. Portal Knights, Minecraft, PixArk all have water that moves and flows. It not only makes things more exciting but it can be used in builds as well.

-Underground Dangers: Not sand worms or digging zombies, but lava and environmental dangers. These aren't as standard but all voxel games i know of have at LEAST lava and some have underground spawning entities in darker areas.

I will defend this game to the death as I love it. But when you see what other games are putting together sometimes it feels like 7 Days is behind the times in these areas. A17 looks quite amazing but I am not going to lie having even SOME of these in the game at SOME point would greatly add to its value, its replayability and provide new dangers and situations for us to overcome. Being that these seem standard now I DO hope that one day they will at least be looked at. The last thing I wish to do is play a new survival game and say to myself "wow that would really be something that adds to the 7 days experience. I wish..." because there was a time when 7 days WAS the game every other game looked at and said "I wish".

7 Days is blazing trails in all the areas like POIs etc. It would be awesome to see them keep up with current trail blazers as well.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

How many of those games are full voxel?

I'd say it's best to leave the above to DLC if it needs to be in; scope creep is to be avoided this late in Alpha. I'd go so far as to argue if 7DTD sticks to its current focus and adds excellent banditry and perhaps a colonial questline endgame (optional), the "lack" of the above won't harm it much.

The one exception to this: Food spoilage, I agree, should be in. It is the best solution to food abundance, and if there is a post-release option to adjust how soft/harsh it is, this part of the game can easily be tailored to ones taste.

Out of the ones i listed only the NPCs that can build their own bases are NOT in a voxel game but all of the others are in fully voxelated games like Minecraft, Portal Knights and PixArk.

I DO understand scope creep is very important to avoid. I guess what I was trying to convey is BEFORE the decision to focus on locking things down I wish they had focused on these elements more. For myself, I can honestly say I would have much rather have had working water than a jeep. On a list of priorities I would say being able to fully enjoy the world is much more important than a cool vehicle, but of course everyone's tastes are different and all i can offer here is opinion on which ones are more important to me.

That said, it almost feels like there should be a list of things that are important in a survival/building game. And the things i listed above would seem to be important additions to a fully fleshed out survival experience. Including them enhances an already great project, but EXCLUDING them makes the game feel a bt incomplete in certain areas. Fishing is NOT necessary of course, but not having it feels like something is missing.

It would have to be on navezgane but imagine if you could make barges you could build on. Then have a really wide river meandering from North to South on the map. Players could make their (limited sized) barge bases and travel the river looting towns (and if pvp attacking other barges ala pirate style). Adding an auto turret or two would help you also.

Arg, me home has been scuttled and sent to davy jones locker.*

*The above line is not indicative of pirates and was used for entertainment purposes only.

Sounds nice :D

Looking forward traveling river/ocean

Are you trying to tell me it's not normal to throw your meat in a wooden box in the desert and then come back and eat it 47 days later?

A DLC for some of these would be fine by me for what Jax said, I would add a detailed, believable NPC interaction and progression system.

I would also add what I call "POI Progression". For example, you find a group of people that need to improve their broken down Home/fort. By gathering resources for them and killing off enough zombies in the area, they will improve the POI and a bigger, better POI will one day appear where the old one was!

POI Progression could be used the other way if you don't help them: Bandits move in and a grisly POI looking like some Fallout 3 bandit POI and the player gets more Bandit events.

Archived