Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Is any AI going to be tweaked? Zombies keep thinking my drawbridge is down and just fling themselves off the ramp, go around, rinse and repeat. I hardly need defenses. Not a gripe, just a question.

that's AI priority thing if that makes any since......Each AI has Task list 1-???..so it does what it's told in a certain order...its repeating the last task thats why its doing that....i have tweaked that before..it can be done in the XML.....its all about priority..thats how i got my Traveling Traders/Bandits/NPCs to work properly among some other things i figured out....but im still stuck on one AI task....i can make them come with me but they won't attack my target..i might be missing something

it might require a C# code line or maybe something else

that's AI priority thing if that makes any since......Each AI has Task list 1-???..so it does what it's told in a certain order...its repeating the last task thats why its doing that....i have tweaked that before..it can be done in the XML.....its all about priority..thats how i got my Traveling Traders/Bandits/NPCs to work properly among some other things i figured out....but im still stuck on one AI task....i can make them come with me but they won't attack my target..i might be missing something

it might require a C# code line or maybe something else

The drawbride issue i think is that the AI is seeing the drawbridge block, and no switch for up or down.

Thanks for reiterating what I've said 100 times, I'm glad someone remembered.

We will look into passengers, and if succeed at it, we can easily change the art. This bike is probably 2-3 years old and we finally put it in. The old minibike code is in the code graveyard and we completely rewrote a modular vehicle system that uses real wheels and a suspension, physics, etc.

I guess these conversations are getting me in the mood to do videos, I remember now how much work it is typing out all the info to calm people's concerns.

Mini bike code in the graveyard! WOOO! Now that thar is a statement! I understood new physics changed behavior of vehicles dramatically, but I wasn't sure how much of the issues we're mini bike specific or physics specific.

Thanks MM for the additional clarifications! Much appreciated!

Regarding new vehicles.

So maybe up/downhill speed may be effected and rebound when hitting the deck after liftoff.

Not sure what the mods may be but shield at the front could be one, would be good to hear from others what mods they would like to have that are not essential to the vehicle but useful to add.

See peeps MadMole isnt that bad :p

Just to pick up on the guy who mentioned my pikachu gangbangs, they arent related to personality traits (or are they... *cough* virtuoso *cough*) and that was exactly my point.

I could have added a list ad infinitum and unless its content of the forum posts, then its not relevant to the content of the forum posts.

Also MadMole if youre still lurking in the forums...

You said bike seats wont take slots, if thats the case then how are we going to make better quality component parts (as part of a recipe) or are we just going to be making standard full package bikes? That is to say a bike of 200 quality, 250, 300 and so on..

I much prefer scavenging parts and putting them together having to upgrade relevant piece by piece. That really gices us the scavenger mechanic feel.

Great work and the first forum page is coming along with all the little additions and notes being put in. Kudos for that.

Would it be pushing it asking when we could expect a video?

Roland,

Your new avatar reminds me of the original Wild Wild West TV series intro. You would look perfect on that new bike MM showed. Just need a Clint Eastwood cigar and a sawed off in a holster on the side of the bike.

Any chance of adding a holster and the ability to shoot while driving?

Isnt the AI moving towards decision makers , ai_packages in utilityai

There is a package zombie dumb but it only seems to target NPC and blocks at the momment.

Think i might experiment with those values and see what happens.

Problem with making zombies smarter to traverse they still will get to a solid wall (after the traps) and its this what is a priority in my opinion on what power you give the zombies to attack solid walls.

Apart from damage buff when walked on when a goreblock is made and stood on i could only think of using knotweed seeds droped from corpses to attack the foundations.

Difficult to come up with something challenging but still balanced for the player.

Oh nice :)

So by the same token guns could also get a similar treatment possibly down the track? Or is it a minibike = entity situation and not applicable to assembled items?

That's possible because right now the gun "parts" are micromanagement without any gameplay purpose whatsoever.

There is no case where it would be beneficial to swap out a gun part for a different gun part - except when it's obviously higher QL... and that's not a choice.

You said bike sests wont take slots, if thats the case then how sre we going to make better quality component parts (as part of a recipe) or are we just going to be making standard full package bikes? That is to say a bike of 200 quality, 250, 300 and so on..

You wouldn't have to... except when certain upgrades actually make sense, like installing a bigger cargo basket instead of a small one or installing added armor instead of a 2nd saddle bag. No way to tell what the final design will look like.

Only that it won't be as "meh" as upgrading the QL 301 part with an identical QL307 part.

That's possible because right now the gun "parts" are micromanagement without any gameplay purpose whatsoever.

There is no case where it would be beneficial to swap out a gun part for a different gun part - except when it's obviously higher QL... and that's not a choice.

You wouldn't have to... except when certain upgrades actually make sense, like installing a bigger cargo basket instead of a small one or installing added armor instead of a 2nd saddle bag. No way to tell what the final design will look like.

Only that it won't be as "meh" as upgrading the QL 301 part with an identical QL307 part.

Ah I see. Just wondering too, someone asked if the same thing will go on with guns maybe. Do you mean separate gun parts might be scrapped to free up space for other stuff?

It wouldnt be such a bad idea finding guns of varying quality but then the skill system would need another revamp. Maybe we could get an advanced workbench, or an armoury bench, somewhere to craft guns and armour separately?

Thank you and you're very welcome. :)

Lol Roland, I can see why some people love you xD

My HOPE is that the hogs would have to be found in the world as a spawn, with the normal parts being upgrades.

It wouldn't make any sense to be able to craft a motorcycle in the workbench. And if you CAN do that rest assured it will never touch my server because...yeah you can't MAKE a motorcycle unless you either have parts or a factory. You can't simply melt forged steel into a magic hog lol.

Maybe we could get an advanced workbench, or an armoury bench, somewhere to craft guns and armour separately?

A few mods like Valmod already have this, multiple benches, even a separate combine bench. The big disadvantage is you are often searching for the right bench, running from bench to bench, even confusing them (if they look very similar).

Dropped features?? So... I'd like to know what made you guys take those features away, cause they were looking great... :(

Here is what I posted the last time this was asked:

Scope Creep.

Neither of those things were ever mentioned in the kickstarter or any stretch goals. The devs experimented with them a bit and created a mock up of both. But as with anything as they started digging in to see what issues would have to be solved to make them a reality it was deemed too expensive in terms of time and money to fully pursue.

This wasn't a sudden decision as it seemed by Joel's sudden announcement. They have been looking for ways to cut the fat so that they can get the game they promised to gold. There are important features that were originally promised and those have to take priority. Why go down an uncertain road with the Behemoth when you still need to develop and implement the Duke of Navezgane and his bandits which were original promises. The ziplines were a whim and an experiment. Problems having to do with animation, collision, chunk loading and unloading, and more were not even begun when Joel showed that rudimentary video of the concept. Surmounting those problems would take a lot of time and money for a whimsical side project.

Believe me, I was disappointed when I found out but I also understand that they need to be focused and not spending weeks trying to solve problems associated with two ideas that were born late in the development cycle.

The good news is that they DO have these concepts and the beginnings of these features in rough form and who knows but they might fit in well with their next game and be stated as one of the goals from the beginning.

My HOPE is that the hogs would have to be found in the world as a spawn, with the normal parts being upgrades.

It wouldn't make any sense to be able to craft a motorcycle in the workbench. And if you CAN do that rest assured it will never touch my server because...yeah you can't MAKE a motorcycle unless you either have parts or a factory. You can't simply melt forged steel into a magic hog lol.

It was mentioned that vehicles need to craftable by a survivor, so it may use a special crafting station i dont know.

Putting a completed hog or even a minbike in an inventory slot doesnt make much sense but the forge or workbench doing this does not either.

It a clash of realism and gameplay plus what is achievable with systems that the game has.

Failing this the vehicles could be aquired though a NPC dealer by purchasing or questline.

But i can imagine fierce opposition against this.

We dont know the details so hold fire on what your allowing and not allowing on your server as the rule of not being possible would scrap most of the game from your server.

I changed the maple forest to more of a fall look.

i like it , maybe dynamic seasons ?!? in the future , i know i know there's a lot to do before looking at Dynamic seasons , but just thought , not sure how hard it would be to script it , that and is it intentional that all maples planted by players eventually turn red (this is the case on console not sure if that is even an issue on PC) cause it would be nice to be able to have some green maples too , i may test whacking a tree for a few hit points before it fully grows an see if the reduced hit point prevent it from growing further . any how the HOG looks AMAZING ,and if that's the only new vehicle ill be satisfied , but don't be afraid to do more

i like it , maybe dynamic seasons ?!? in the future , i know i know there's a lot to do before looking at Dynamic seasons , but just thought , not sure how hard it would be to script it , that and is it intentional that all maples planted by players eventually turn red (this is the case on console not sure if that is even an issue on PC) cause it would be nice to be able to have some green maples too , i may test whacking a tree for a few hit points before it fully grows an see if the reduced hit point prevent it from growing further . any how the HOG looks AMAZING ,and if that's the only new vehicle ill be satisfied , but don't be afraid to do more

Actually a few of us were just talking about the season change idea today. It can be done in theory, you can do it based on temparture as each biome has its own control over temp, but globally there's an issue of temp being reset every 3 hours.

Archived