Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Pretty much.

Those vehicles are long term projects, so don't expect in A17.

Wait. So zip lines were deemed a non necessity for a survival game and therefore removed, but something as useless as a blimp is ok?

I believe MM said "So you put a line down, go zip down it and that's it, it had no value". So what gameplay advantages do a BLIMP add to the game?

I'm not sure I follow this logic. I could list a BUNCH of reasons why ziplines fit WAY more into a survival game then a blimp (or god forbid you lose your mind and actually add an airship). Im not sure why a blimp is even being considered to be honest.

The whole airship this was funny at first. Not so much now that it is actually being considered a distant possibility.

Technical-ish Question about the distant terrain.

I reckon the reason for it not being used on the fly when POI's and terrain change is due to performance issues,

But has there been any thoughts to let the Dedicated Server calculate the new distant terrains when the server is idle,

or via a command? Would be a nice middleroad unless performance is fixed to allow it to update real-time.

Also chiming in that the HP bar is a bad thing, and certainly hope it's removable!

/Holo

Wait. So zip lines were deemed a non necessity for a survival game and therefore removed, but something as useless as a blimp is ok?

I believe MM said "So you put a line down, go zip down it and that's it, it had no value". So what gameplay advantages do a BLIMP add to the game?

I'm not sure I follow this logic. I could list a BUNCH of reasons why ziplines fit WAY more into a survival game then a blimp (or god forbid you lose your mind and actually add an airship). Im not sure why a blimp is even being considered to be honest.

The whole airship this was funny at first. Not so much now that it is actually being considered a distant possibility.

Any type of aerial vehicle I think is a huge mistake, though if it's going to come, I just hope it'll get a ban option in the server config to disable them.

I play The Forest, and ZipLines are awesome.. I see no reason why they can't be made. I'd rather use a ZipLine to cross something like a pit, rather than spent ages designing and building a bridge.

Any type of aerial vehicle I think is a huge mistake, though if it's going to come, I just hope it'll get a ban option in the server config to disable them.

I play The Forest, and ZipLines are awesome.. I see no reason why they can't be made. I'd rather use a ZipLine to cross something like a pit, rather than spent ages designing and building a bridge.

Minibikes are took this long to get their fix with A17. This game is getting closer to something that isn't actually broken. Please don't break it further by adding something that is bound to just poop all over servers without a way to disable them. Singleplayer could probably handle all the intensive random BS you want to throw in the game. But please keep in mind that servers struggle daily to be stable simply because of the game not being optimized in the right places. Which A17 promises to optimize to the newer unity (hoping that fixes a lot of issues like stuttering at higher day counts)

In short.... You guys are taking wonderful leaps forward, please don't take leaps backwards. New content is fine, as long as it doesn't break servers to the point of unplayable. I know you all have a lot of wonderful ideas and I'd love to see them one day. Roland did mention something about there being a potential sequel at one point in this thread. So maybe get to finishing this game as it enters BETA in A17 and do your crazy blimp ideas with 7DTD2

Still a sad panda about the Behemoth being scrapped as well as the ziplines. But if you all feel that it would of taken too much time to develop since Bandits arn't even finished yet. Then by all means maybe that can go in game #2 as well -shrugs-

Helicopter is a placeholder in case faatal is able to do an actual helicopter. (he expressed interest in it)

Animal Boss Grace is a placeholder for an animal boss entity coming soon.

Jokebump is actually Jokeblimp and is a placeholder in case faatal is able to do an actual airship. (Al expressed interest in it)

Those are my...uh...guesses.

I am liking your guesses...

Pretty much.

I am liking your answer to Rolands guesses.....well first part anyway :)

The whole air biome was entirely too safe. They'll also be adding flying zombies and the flying spaghetti monster.

:p

Pretty much.

I would rather you spend time on a Bus, or Mobile Home. It would fit the game more and add some variety... Would be extra sweet to able to build a furnace or workbench IN the mobile home... even storage chests would be awesome.

I would rather you spend time on Bus, or Mobile Home. It would fit the game more and add some variety... Would be extra sweet to able to build a furnace or workbench IN the mobile home

Any vehicle with enemies like those in A16 are completely overpowered, even the mini-bike makes you free of threat while you dive in a cleared area.

Ziplines are just another method to gimmick the AI, if this is a Tower Defense game anyway. A series of high towers with "elevator hatches" linking a zipline to each subsequent tower base would be fun, but night hordes would end up being pointless (If they are not already).

Any vehicle with enemies like those in A16 are completely overpowered, even the mini-bike makes you free of threat while you dive in a cleared area.

Ziplines are just another method to gimmick the AI, if this is a Tower Defense game anyway. A series of high towers with "elevator hatches" linking a zipline to each subsequent tower base would be fun, but night hordes would end up being pointless (If they are not already).

Edit: As long as you can get the zipline tower outside the night horde spawn zone and you could with a high enough tower, you just defeated the breadcrumb system too.

But Im suggesting a bus and mobile Home instead of an airship and helicopter. Your arguement using "overpowered" is completely invalid since ALL vehicles are overpowered.

But Im suggesting a bus and mobile Home instead of an airship and helicopter. Your arguement using "overpowered" is completely invalid since ALL vehicles are overpowered.

Thank you for repeating my sentence and refuting your suggestion for a bus all at the same time. You're just a gifted man. :)

Opps! Stellaris is downloading now! Assume I agree with everything else you say. GTG!

Thank you for repeating my sentence and refuting your suggestion for a bus all at the same time. You're just a gifted man. :)

Opps! Stellaris is downloading now! Assume I agree with everything else you say. GTG!

Anyone who reads our discussion and has a brain will know that Im right - and im glad u agree. I did not refute myself. It sounds like u are against all vehicles because they are overpowered. No reason to single out my bus and mobile home as if they would be the ONLY overpowered vehicles.

By the way. Nice way to wiggle out of a losing arguement. Oops something came up..gotta go!!

Boom, Roasted

Hey Gazz, when madmole showed us the effect of a broken arm, would we still use a splint for our arm or will a sling or arm brace be added to the game should this take effect?

I think it should never heal and stay broken for the rest of the game. Much easier for me that way.

For the airship, think steam punk. Not a Goodyear blimp, but dirty, stinky and... yeah, think men's locker room meets basement furnace. :)

Think gas bags made out of brass. Lots of brass.

It's called a McGuffin. It is one of the vehicles that (nearly) everyone wants to have to play around with.

May want to look at the first post

Everdeen is apparently sticky arrows... that cant be picked back up :(

Go back and watch the video. Joel talked about picking up arrows. He said he would love to be able to retrieve arrows. He literally said that what he showed is the starting place.

Everdeen is sticky arrows. Sorry if it is underwhelming compared to expectations but that is what hype is all about :) Trust me that playing with it is far more enjoyable than watching it. I probably ran around for 45 minutes just shooting zombies and deer and boars trying to stick as many arrows in them before their....ahem...huge red HP bar depleted completely. Sticky arrows adds more than you would guess to the archery part of the game-- even if you can't retrieve them yet.

Archived