Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The big issue with a shape selector: TANSTAAFL.

If every block shape is still it's own ID then you need the same number of IDs.

If every block saves as material + shape then you need more bits to save every individual block.

Savegame sizes are already ginormous and especially consoles area already struggling.

The UI presentation and data organisation is the easy part.

Did you know that the first vehicle accident was a man who hit a woman who was walking? At least that is what the instructor stated in Gender Class in college.

I don't think that's true, I'm afraid.

The first recorded vehicle accident (assusming you mean one that involved a self-powered vehicle rather than a horse-drawn one) did involve a woman, the Irish scientist and author Mary Ward, but she wasn't a pedestrian - she was riding in the vehicle (her husband was driving) when it jolted as it went around a corner and she fell out and was killed as the back wheels drove over her neck.

This was in 1869, before the days of seat belts or even car doors, of course (in fact it was a steam powered car, since it was before the invention of the internal combustion engine).

Interestingly for trivia fans, she was the great-grandmother of Lalla Ward - the actress who played Romana in Doctor Who and who is married to Richard Dawkins.

That's an interesting way to go out...

Kinda redundant...

If/when your gone, there's no way to either enjoy or dread the way you went out...

And also, why would you care what others think at this point? Your gone!...

So unless you believe in deities and/or afterlife... The sentiment is redundant ;)

Kinda redundant...

If/when your gone, there's no way to either enjoy or dread the way you went out...

So unless you believe in deities and/or afterlife... The sentiment is redundant ;)

That depends on how long you take to die...

"Kakaru toki

sakoso inochi no

oshikarame

kanete nakimi to

omoishirazuba"

"Had I not known

that I was dead

already

I would have mourned

the loss of my life."

- Ōta Dōkan

If every block saves as material + shape then you need more bits to save every individual block.

Savegame sizes are already ginormous and especially consoles area already struggling.

Well as you said save game sizes are already huge so why not? There are mods out there that easily go over 300mb and the only limitation is the number of block id's. For the future of the game lessening the blocks is really the only way to go. i have zero block space left. Easily maxed it out in 3 months. Can you imagine how this will CRIPPLE Workshop? People love downloading EVERYTHING. Look at Ark. You can add a hundred mods if you want. Now I know it is a different beast, but the block limit is definitely something that needs to be planned out with the future in mind. SDX is sort of the peek into the future of Workshop, and you can easily fill the ids in a matter of minutes if Workshop works this way. Look at Starvation or my mods blocks.xml to see how limiting it really is.

But it really doesn't surprise me much that consoles also play a role in this decision. Consoles: Tying the hands of great game development since the beginning.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda redundant...

I'm pretty sure her husband found it interesting.

But it really doesn't surprise me much that consoles also play a role in this decision. Consoles: Tying the hands of great game development since the beginning.

Hah. You make it sound as if this was turning into a console game.

That's why you couldn't possible get new vehicles and stuff, right?

Game development is complex and you have to think ahead. Maybe that thing will never happen on consoles but it would be stupid to not even consider the possibility.

No, I think it's interesting... The lady falls out of the car, then manages to what, roll under the still moving vehicle? Interesting.

Bear in mind, the "car" we're talking about is this kind of thing, so no doors, no seatbelts, no suspension...

1860rickettsteamcarriage_zpsf033c0ee.jpg

...I don't know if the car she was in was exactly like that one (although it's from the right era and that seems like a common design from that time period), but if it was then I could easily see a bump in the road bouncing you so you end up sliding off the side feet first, with your head hitting the road in the path of the back wheels.

But wait... what about ENCODING values to make them smaller, like using bit fields for booleans and all that? THEN your system gets bogged down with processing the 1000's of blocks of data every second as each field needs to run through a decoding routine to be accessed and an encoding routine when saved.

Yeah... programming is easy!

EDIT: And you could always try to over-optimize things where you optimize for space when storing to disk but optimize for access speed when storing them in memory. The problem with that, though, is that most systems have far more disk space than memory, which kills your attempts at optimization. Some day, when all of the storage space in your system is directly addressable, then these kinds of problems can go away. But I suspect we are more than a few years out from that panacea. :p

If there is a own byte for metadata1 (Still no idea how the Code looks)

And there are only a few option of the 256 are used (lets say 8)

Would it be possible to use the rest for the shapes ?

As example

256/8 = 32

Here the table only with 128 Possibilitys, but enough to explain it

1280px-Ascii-proper-color.svg.png

Meta Data0 and a Block would be 0

Meta Data0 and a lets say Plate would be 12

Meta1 and a Block would be 32

Meta1 and Plate would be 44

Meta2 and a Block would be 64

Meta2 and a Plate would be 76

Means this way if there is a Byte used to store Meta Data and we have only 8 different values for that it (i imagine) would be possible to store 32 Shapes without neccesary additional space

As i wrote, no idea how it looks in reality, so maybe this is not the RAM for the post worth.

What is this UI presentation and organization?

The meta values already exist in the blocks, so the space is there... Just needs to be filled...

I'm still against this method though.

But Jax is right, about people installing EVERY mod available... Hell, people try to do it with this game, and the launcher has what, 15 mods? Go look at mc or your precious skyrim and see how many people install at once. =)

Tldr; need more id's. Y'all are still adding blocks too. Need recipe lag gone. Y'all are starting to see the issue as well.

The meta values already exist in the blocks, so the space is there... Just needs to be filled...

I'm still against this method though.

But Jax is right, about people installing EVERY mod available... Hell, people try to do it with this game, and the launcher has what, 15 mods? Go look at mc or your precious skyrim and see how many people install at once. =)

Tldr; need more id's. Y'all are still adding blocks too. Need recipe lag gone. Y'all are starting to see the issue as well.

gah! I actually have to agree somewhat.... people love there mods need a way to keep conflicts down

gah! I actually have to agree somewhat.... people love there mods need a way to keep conflicts down

But how ?

This would need flexible ID´s

And it start to become really complicated if a mod change Vanilla content

Mod 1 Remove Ammo from recipes and set the Price x50

Mod 2 Add a recipe to produce huge amounts of ammo for really low costs

= Player has 5 Trillion coins in week 2

Problem is that many players act not self-reliant.

But how ?

This would need flexible ID´s

And it start to become really complicated if a mod change Vanilla content

Mod 1 Remove Ammo from recipes and set the Price x50

Mod 2 Add a recipe to produce huge amounts of ammo for really low costs

= Player has 5 Trillion coins in week 2

Problem is that many players act not self-reliant.

um...where can I download this mod....:)

To Heck with more ID's I want a good starting plot! :) I would like a mod that starts you at the bottom of the Red Mesa POI or something like a half-life.

You start on an operating table with what appears someone just started surgery on you. (Hence your low health? Maybe something else?)

You awoke with the echo of a scream dying off. You can find a few things in the room but the character will be killed at night if they stay. You can come back at VERY high level and discover... something about your character.

I never liked just appearing in the middle of nowhere.

Archived