Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25621[/ATTACH]

That stuff being worked on to be flush? The gap has caused a few of my vehicles to get caught in it and damage blocks. So I had to do this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25622[/ATTACH]

It works for now, but still looks odd. At least no more really breaking blocks or getting stuck

That is how terrain blocks work. They slope into adjacent terrain.

More in the sense of spawning a horde nearby, that hears the noise and attacks the player (when firing inside an inhabited POI / nearby sleeper volumes).

With some chance of them being feral. The sleepers dont need to get triggered then.

The player would then get ambushed from "behind" when making too much noise while looting a POI.

Zombies spawned in the area or the normal wandering hordes can already hear you and come into a POI. I think it is hard enough as is.

does this new padding (which is awesome for triggers) also apply to UNloading the volume?

ie breaking down a door and backstepping a few blocks used to reset the sleepers if you were outside that volume box.

does the padding give you maneuverability without reset?

Different padding to despawn. You have to be 30m away from any edge for more than 1 minute.

One more thing that kinda sorta bugged me too, though it's not with the game itself. It seems to be recommended to delete previous saves. I have no problem doing this, but there are no instructions about how to do so (the saves aren't in the main game folder).

I actually did move the saves (I have the mod launcher for A16 and moved them to that directory - thanks Sphereii for that!) but I think most players wouldn't know how to do it.

When you click continue game on the main menu, there is a delete button below the list of game saves.

@Faatal a friend and I are discussing lockpicking and such. is it possible to somehow code in a property for blocks to have a locked and unlocked state that we can flip? nothing like it in the xml's so wondering where it is stored?

Not sure. Each block instance has very little data stored in them, since there are a lot of them. Door blocks do have an open/closed bit somewhere.

it has 7000+ HP , destroying it on the first week of game-play will take a full day of holding left click. that`s a no go early. u can place as much as u want now, so u can just place a new one in your new base, every new one cancel the effect of the prev placed blocks. but they are still super hard to brk so seems exploitable for building stuff.

IMHO it should have been made to be a unique item that can only have 1 instance in the world, and that u can just pick up easily.

don't see the downside to that proposition, and fail to understand the design choice here, it might be MP related though, which i know very little about.

would love to get some advice of best practices avoiding these issues of using it from other SP players that has more experience with using it. thanks

I did an experiment in b197. Every time I placed a new LCB, my previous one would go down to 1 HP. If that still holds true in the current and future builds, then there should be no worries about exploits on this subject.

Faatal, when do you expect the next update to come along?

Just curious, nothing on my mind to talk about.. wew

Punch Placing, Slow Ladders, and Zombies getting back up too fast seem very distracting. ;<

I'm not sure. Our testing branch is on b203 as of today and there have been several more changes since that one. Monday we are having meetings to discuss some of the testing results. I'd expect an experimental build sometime during the week, but I'm just guessing.

I'm not sure. Our testing branch is on b203 as of today and there have been several more changes since that one. Monday we are having meetings to discuss some of the testing results. I'd expect an experimental build sometime during the week, but I'm just guessing.

Sounds osom.

When you click continue game on the main menu, there is a delete button below the list of game saves.

Ah, gotcha, I was thinking people should delete the save game folders by hand. I was also in the mindset that many would want to back them up rather than outright delete them (which is what I did).

My bad.

My problems with A17

Fun Pimps

First and for most I have gotten far more then my money’s worth out of this game (2100+hr), but I feel it is running down a rabbit hole that will kill it. This is your game, I’m just playing it so if you’re happy with it so be it.

Settings that we play at

Insane

10% loot

Always run

Delete on death

No loot respawn or air drops

Now to be far I played a17 to level 50 before I opened my mouth, but after level 20 I was mentally done with it. There are a few things that I have been growing to dislike more each day, and some things that I feel are flat out killing the game.

The game I loved was an open voxel world that you could play however you wanted. Now it just feels like a zed killing game with a little bit of crafting. When I played I felt like I was locked in a play style box. Now I know people would sometimes take advantage of the open play style but guess what people suck, and it was there loss. The world will always have someone taking the easy road. For me A17 is a play it once and move on to the next game.

I know we have always pushed what you could craft from a few parts in this game but wheels, hog frame, hog front end, 4x4 chassis, gyro chopper blades, and guns. I feel we have gone too far with them, I would like to see them as rare loot finds or rewards from trader missions.

I would love to see the need to recharge our powered tools and toys. Mining helmet, night vision, flash lights, and nail gun.

So you ended meals on wheels. I have no problem with that, but I now have more food then I could ever need. The large farel hogs are every ware and I now have 3k meat and more leather then I could ever use.

I no longer have a need to go out and raid, and base building is dead. I have built some grand bases in my time but the resource gathering makes it ridicules and pointless. This deeply saddens me as I was looking forward to the new AI pathing to make it more difficult.

Before If I would start my forge and leave my base I would come back to a ton of zeds but now it don’t seem to matter

The zed trains of old would run past and then stop a long way off and wander around for a bit , but now they stop and slowly walk to you even if you move.

The new rad zone needs to kill you slower at first. I was out on the bike looking around and found myself in it, before I could find my way out I died. I wish I would have been able to know where was safe and not safe.

Farming before lvl 20

Stamina is so important and the food is not that abundant. If you don't find hoe you can't farm either.

I think there should be a way to till the soil from the start since farming is gated behind a perk anyway. It is possible to do this by hand IRL.

Scrap iron for making hoe? Right click with a wooden shovel?...

I used forge house for day 7 horde and They only made one opening. Usually don't build a base till after day 7. To busy killing and looting before that. I had stilt base for 14 day horde made with concrete and iron bars using trader forge/mixer. They tore out some supports, but I made it so some could be taken out and didn't have issue. 21 day I had enough steel to upgrade bottom two blocks and none even got beaten down to concrete. So no issue with usual base.

I was curious on how zombies would spawn on day 21 horde, so I was bit away from my base at 22:00. Zombies spawned above my base. Didn't want them tearing up my garden I just finished on roof so took them on in open for first two hours, with mod'ed Ak and SMG. Didn't have issue till started getting null reference that would not let me move but game get going. Could see zombies still moving and hitting me, and had to alt-f4 out.

Looks like still works like it did in A16, just log out an back in and horde continues. Had zombies till 3am when null reference quit popping up.

@MM I am enjoying game so far solo. I did switch to 3 skill points per lvl after lvl7. Think next replay I will change it to 2, as 3 was to many.

Playing since 2013 and this is your first post ? WOW...

Sounds osom.

Fun Pimps

First and for most I have gotten far more then my money’s worth out of this game (2100+hr), but I feel it is running down a rabbit hole that will kill it. This is your game, I’m just playing it so if you’re happy with it so be it.

Settings that we play at

Insane

10% loot

Always run

Delete on death

No loot respawn or air drops

Now to be far I played a17 to level 50 before I opened my mouth, but after level 20 I was mentally done with it. There are a few things that I have been growing to dislike more each day, and some things that I feel are flat out killing the game.

The game I loved was an open voxel world that you could play however you wanted. Now it just feels like a zed killing game with a little bit of crafting. When I played I felt like I was locked in a play style box. Now I know people would sometimes take advantage of the open play style but guess what people suck, and it was there loss. The world will always have someone taking the easy road. For me A17 is a play it once and move on to the next game.

I know we have always pushed what you could craft from a few parts in this game but wheels, hog frame, hog front end, 4x4 chassis, gyro chopper blades, and guns. I feel we have gone too far with them, I would like to see them as rare loot finds or rewards from trader missions.

I would love to see the need to recharge our powered tools and toys. Mining helmet, night vision, flash lights, and nail gun.

So you ended meals on wheels. I have no problem with that, but I now have more food then I could ever need. The large farel hogs are every ware and I now have 3k meat and more leather then I could ever use.

I no longer have a need to go out and raid, and base building is dead. I have built some grand bases in my time but the resource gathering makes it ridicules and pointless. This deeply saddens me as I was looking forward to the new AI pathing to make it more difficult.

Before If I would start my forge and leave my base I would come back to a ton of zeds but now it don’t seem to matter

The zed trains of old would run past and then stop a long way off and wander around for a bit , but now they stop and slowly walk to you even if you move.

The new rad zone needs to kill you slower at first. I was out on the bike looking around and found myself in it, before I could find my way out I died. I wish I would have been able to know where was safe and not safe.

Fun Pimps listen to this... Spot on. A17 feels less "open" and "creative", and more like a Zed slaying experience. The beauty of the game over the years has been a sense of doom whilst building, knowing that there's a threat yonder, but the mining, digging, building is where this shines. Think about it, the popularity of Minecraft is based on the fact you can manipulate the world and allow your creative juices to run wild. A17, 7DTD feels like it is taking a slight step away from the creative to a model involving more killing and Zed hunting for XP. Be very careful here, because it is the underground bases and construction that, for many players, keeps them coming back. I'm not saying that you can't be creative in A17, only that for some reason and it is hard to put a finger on it, it feels like it's drifting away from what it once was. I'm loving don't get me wrong, but the sooner we can destroy, mine, build, dig, manipulate, and run havoc with the Voxel model after starting a new world, the better. Anyway about to jump back online!! My hats off to the Devs for their persistence and passion.

Click on the armor and open up it's menu. You should see some slots for mods, unless it's really crappy armor.

Drop it into the mod slot and your good. :)

Thanks for replying, I must have crap armour then (though seems good enough) as I just can not insert this mod into anything (clicked everywhere to) even though it's classed as armour and this pocket mod simply gives you more inventory space it just willl not accept it.

Playing since 2013 and this is your first post ? WOW...

Sounds osom.

We get it dude you're the hardest of hardcore gamerz lol.

And somehow incase you missed it (which according to your post you did) this IS a zombie killing game...

No dying light is a zombie killing game. Call of duty Zombies is a zombie killing game. Dead island is a zombie killing game. Left 4 dead is a zombie killing game. Dead rising is a zombie killing game. OP was pointing out that 7DTD is so much more than that. The beauty of it isn't just killing Zeds, as is the case with others. It should be first and foremost a zombie SURVIVAL game, with crafting and building. It's unique and amazing. Some of us just want to make sure it's uniqueness isn't lost.

Archived