Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I can no longer seem to be able to pick up the LandClaim block with holding "E".

It has ton of HP so breaking it is a real hassle.

It now cost only 5 rocks so cant ppl exploit it and build a house out of it?

I only play SP and just recently started using it in my base for the large zombie spawn area prevention and to pick up my work stations.

but this block`s behavior/design seems weird to me.

Am im missing something or is this a WIP?

I can no longer seem to be able to pick up the LandClaim block with holding "E".

It has ton of HP so breaking it is a real hassle.

It now cost only 5 rocks so cant ppl exploit it and build a house out of it?

I only play SP and just recently started using it in my base for the large zombie spawn area prevention and to pick up my work stations.

but this block`s behavior/design seems weird to me.

Am im missing something or is this a WIP?

I don't think you were ever able to pick them up. You can collect em after destroying them, and I think there's a limit to building more than 1 in an area.

Ah, good idea, I can probably dig around in the XMLs and find it, I was just showing my son how to find those, he's getting into such things, and of course he already knew. I've worked in advanced robotics for 20 years and never touched a line of code, I'm all design and anatomy, engineering/prototyping, physical stuff. I know a few colleagues who would be shocked to hear I touched some code. I'd just tell them "But I need my tablesaw to help me survive the zombie apocalypse!", make the duh face, and walk away.

Thanks again wolffblood.

Programmers would tell you xml is not code. You could shove code into xml file and parse it if you wanted, but our xml is data and simple rules. Sorry, but you can't change xml and say you did programming. Sure you could, but don't show up at a programmer job interview and expect to not get laughed at. ;)

I don't think you were ever able to pick them up. You can collect em after destroying them, and I think there's a limit to building more than 1 in an area.

it has 7000+ HP , destroying it on the first week of game-play will take a full day of holding left click. that`s a no go early. u can place as much as u want now, so u can just place a new one in your new base, every new one cancel the effect of the prev placed blocks. but they are still super hard to brk so seems exploitable for building stuff.

IMHO it should have been made to be a unique item that can only have 1 instance in the world, and that u can just pick up easily.

don't see the downside to that proposition, and fail to understand the design choice here, it might be MP related though, which i know very little about.

would love to get some advice of best practices avoiding these issues of using it from other SP players that has more experience with using it. thanks

this does not work that setting actually affects the volume that the zeds hear when waking up

says so in the sounds xml

it does not effect what comes out of your speakers at all

if any one knows how to edit the sound files please tell me I really need to lower the volume on the chainsaw and auger when Im streamin without changing the overall volume of the game

Yeah I just seen your response seems this is a really poorly written XML. It is more for what it does than actual volume adjustment.

There should be a local volume setting (there is for crouching?)

Do not add local to the chainsaw it does not work... seems they have grouped a bunch of the sounds together.

I will have to mess around with it. I assume doing the same to Augur as well.

huh, won't let me edit my post, just a wall of red. Even refreshed, closed/open browser, nada. Anyways, was going to add that the description of the bicycle and mini bike are both 10m/s, I've yet to actually get on the mini bike yet, so not sure if the actual speeds are the same.

Those just have some guesstimate numbers in them. Polish for later.

it has 7000+ HP , destroying it on the first week of game-play will take a full day of holding left click. that`s a no go early.

u can place as much as u want now, so u can just place a new one in your new base, every new one cancel the effect of the prev placed blocks. but they are still super hard to brk so y not exploit it to build a whole base out of them?

IMHO it should have been made to be a unique item that can only have 1 instance in the world, and that u can just pick up easily.

dont see the downside to that proposition, and fail to understand the design choice here, it might be MP related though, which i know very little about.

Well if that's the case, then yeah that's a bug. I believe I heard or thought or whatever if you placed one lcb, then another couldn't be placed in the range of it. That should change for sure. And on destroying it, don't forget that you can make it fall ;) Knock out he stuff supporting it and it'll fall and break. I've done that a few times.

Programmers would tell you xml is not code. You could shove code into xml file and parse it if you wanted, but our xml is data and simple rules. Sorry, but you can't change xml and say you did programming. Sure you could, but don't show up at a programmer job interview and expect to not get laughed at. ;)

As a programming learner/student, I chuckled verily at this. xD

Well if that's the case, then yeah that's a bug. I believe I heard or thought or whatever if you placed one lcb, then another couldn't be placed in the range of it. That should change for sure. And on destroying it, don't forget that you can make it fall ;) Knock out he stuff supporting it and it'll fall and break. I've done that a few times.

yah, I read about it and in XML, another player cant place LCB in a big area around your LCB, but u can do whatever u want with them, LCB fort seems possible now i guess, at least in SP... xD

I only messed around with 2-3 blocks but by the way i see it working it looks like nothing stops me from abusing it this way. I wont cuz it will ruin the fun, but just though i mention it here to see what other ppl think about it

yah, I read about it and in XML, another player cant place LCB in a big area around your LCB, but u can do whatever u want with them, LCB fort seems possible now i guess, at least in SP... xD

I only messed around with 2-3 blocks but by the way i see it working it looks like nothing stops me from abusing it this way. I wont cuz it will ruin the fun, but just though i mention it here to see what other ppl think about it

Oh for sure. 7000hp blocks for a couple of stone is definitely something that should change. Should be a 1 LCB per range only.

The reflection maps still appear to be showing even with reflections disabled as well - if that assumption is true - then that could also be why people with mid-range and lower machines are getting lower FPS.

Look at the garbage can in the game for example - and move around it - there's reflections. The duct work in the game if you set a chest on it - the chest will reflect on the duct-work - even with reflections disabled. FPS penalty for reflections is pretty severe - especially in a dense POI.

Most block shaders are using PBR now. Some of the features may always be on. I was mentioning shader complexity a few hours ago to the team. Pixel processing rate and quantity is one of our bigger performance hits right now, hence the big FPS increase when lowering resolution. It will take a while to find and test all our choke points and try to find improvements.

Most block shaders are using PBR now. Some of the features may always be on. I was mentioning shader complexity a few hours ago to the team. Pixel processing rate and quantity is one of our bigger performance hits right now, hence the big FPS increase when lowering resolution. It will take a while to find and test all our choke points and try to find improvements.

A while as in A18.. or a while as in 5 weeks of experimental?

***Using Schematics***

Has anyone figured out how to make mods with the workbench yet? I've seen others having issues, but don't remember seeing any answers.

Here's what I got:

Scope x2 schematic (lvl 1 Yeah, Science which I have)

I have all required parts for the recipe, but it says I "do not know the required recipe".

*I've already tried to drop and pick up the schematic as I saw someone say that was a possible solution. Didn't work.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but these posts are hard to keep up with. Thank you to whoever can give me some guidance.

Oh for sure. 7000hp blocks for a couple of stone is definitely something that should change. Should be a 1 LCB per range only.

oh my bad , nm!

did some testing in creative mode and as soon as u place a new LCB the inactive block instantly turn into 1/8000 HP block that can be punched once to pick up. guess what i saw in my game was a bug, but i have no idea how to reproduce it xD

no design issue here. just some weird rare (?) bug i can no longer easily reproduce.

ty for the replies

oh my bad , nm!

did some testing in creative mode and as soon as u place a new LCB the inactive block instantly turn into 1/8000 HP block that can be punched once to pick up. guess what i saw in my game was a bug, but i have no idea how to reproduce it xD

no design issue here. just some weird rare (?) bug i can no longer easily reproduce.

ty for the replies

Sweet! Glad to hear that, it would be game breaking for sure lol.

On night 1 - day 2 in Navezgane, my party encountered a horde with a radioactive military zombie, which with three people, on a roof, using bows and what little ammunition we had finally killed. (Upwards of 150 arrows, 20 7.62, 60 9mm, and 30 shotgun shells with melee mixed in) Not one drop or xp, and his body was impervious to damage from level 2 axes and clubs until it despawned. It destroyed everything in its path, luckily it destroyed the ladder to reach us, but it near leveled a brick building over 15 minutes. This seems a little excessive for Night 1 - Day 2.

The regeneration of these monsters should definitely be nerved. I see that some elite players on here welcome the challenge, but I assume that for 95% of the general playerbase these glowing corpses are rather gamebreaking than challenging on the long run, especially when you get glowing hordes with a certain progression.

That's just my personal opinion, though.

***Using Schematics***

Has anyone figured out how to make mods with the workbench yet? I've seen others having issues, but don't remember seeing any answers.

Here's what I got:

Scope x2 schematic (lvl 1 Yeah, Science which I have)

I have all required parts for the recipe, but it says I "do not know the required recipe".

*I've already tried to drop and pick up the schematic as I saw someone say that was a possible solution. Didn't work.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but these posts are hard to keep up with. Thank you to whoever can give me some guidance.

Can confirm, tried various methods in creative, the schematics don't work. Even maxed out every skill and no-go.

They always walked for me in A16.4 when I did never run. Only ones that did run were the ferals.

I could have sworn they ran on horde night regardless.

Oh, I thought they ran on BM too, even with running off. I usually keep running on, HOWEVER I caved and turned it off because the AI is so damn good now that if I so much as make a jar of water at night the next thing I know I have Z bee-lining up into my attic base one after the other, made every night feel like Blood Moon, it was too much, I couldn't get anything done and was constantly dealing with that crazy long death debuff.

But I think it's fine, preferable even, on Blood Moons, even if for the challenge alone. I'm about to face my 14 day, running was still active on my first one. If it is too lame I might at least reset it to run for BMs, then back to nope in between. I rly don't know how they freaking find me so easily, and precisely, with the slightest noise, I'm up pretty high with no line of sight, and there's a decent maze of house to get up to me, but still they run up and freak me the F out, use up all my ammo, which just attracts more. I was dying, a lot. Every. Dang. Night.

I base running vs not on what I'm playing. If it's SP, I set them to never run so I can keep playing through the night. When I private play with my group, I keep running on at night otherwise it gets to be a bit too easy. But I was expecting them to run on horde night because that's not a go out and explore time, anyway.

I've noticed that I've been getting almost nightly, targeted roaming hordes, too. One game day, I had at least 3 of them before noon. I wish there were a setting for the frequency and size of roaming hordes--I think in A16 it was once per day at a random time, and I liked that. Though I also like that the new hordes are sometimes really large.

I usually start with a basic hut while building a defensible platform in prep for the first blood moon: on day 3, the roaming horde started smashing blocks on my hut while I was crouched and quiet inside. I wish the roaming horde were more general and less precisely targeted for the same reasons as you. I'm also extremely conservative with ammo: guns only on blood moon nights, and I try to reserve arrows for the big hard hitters. Everything else I use blunt weapons on. It took a while to figure out the new timing--and it's just random enough for them to occasionally get nasty hits in--but it's a lot more resource-friendly.

Oh I would never apply for a programming job, but being in robotics I have worked alongside many, for obvious reasons. Even directed a few to bring a prototype to life for a patent I was lead on a few years ago. Was different for both me and them because on that project the guys had more your background, working with game engines, and I had to adapt them to developing for an embedded environment in a physical device. Reading sensors, using PWM to control brushless motors, controlling the system through a touchscreen(for the demo anyway), stuff like that. Ultimately it was a force feedback device a user wore as a game controller, but received real-time feedback from the game world. For example, if you fired a gun you would feel the kickback, held a sword you could feel it's weight, when it struck something, and so on. Anyway, they were nervous at first, but all I really had to do was tell them it was a lot like what they were used to already, just that instead of only affecting polygons and textures the code, actual code, would also be outputting to a physical device the user wore. Next level haptic stuff. I had them spend a few afternoons with the fella making the circuit-boards and by the next week they were all up in it, having a blast. They loved it once they got over the smaller-than-expected learning curve. They weren't used to seeing their "code" make things move irl. I however only have a general big picture understanding of things, never learned a specific language in detail, so I could not have done what they did. In other words I've hired programmers, and been hired by/with them, but could not and would not ever try to be one. What you do is special in my eyes.

But yeah, I kinda knew "code" was not the right word, I just used it generically in reference to "having to type something and then have that do something.". Not familiar with XML, just some C, C++, C#, Python, some other OOPs, some ROS stuff, robots almost always use some flavor of Linux. But I'm mostly into Assembly level constructs and lower, logic gates, RISC, ZISC, FPGAs, and I really love alternative chip architectures, parallel perceptrons and other chip level neural net stuff is my jam. Do things differently down there and it ripples like a mofo once you get to higher levels. Anyway, I would def get laughed at trying to get a programming job, no doubt, I'd be laughing loudest. My 12 yr old son has done more programming than I have. I design and build the things(typically robots) physically, other peeps, of different talent, bring them to life.

Archived