Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I only checked the patch notes from b199. We are going to start a new save after 21 horde night on our server. Nice to hear that they get rid of the massive spider pig.

It really is nothing they got rid off - it is something only spawning when you mix both builds. Items, blocks, entities have no clear ID anymore thus mixing two builds leads to weird recipes (e.g. cans of acid for a bedroll), weird items in the inventory (i tested importing a B197 player profile to B199 and he ended up with 14000 headlights) and disallocation of zombies spawning. The pig in your mix-up savegame replaces the vulture in its spawnpoints. So it's really nothing they did right or wrong - its something you interfered with through keeping the savegame.

Until you start a fresh game (verify your game files before doing so and make sure to get rid of the old one) - enjoy your crazy amount of meat you get from those pigs! ;)

It really is nothing they got rid off - it is something only spawning when you mix both builds. Items, blocks, entities have no clear ID anymore thus mixing two builds leads to weird recipes (e.g. cans of acid for a bedroll), weird items in the inventory (i tested importing a B197 player profile to B199 and he ended up with 14000 headlights) and disallocation of zombies spawning. The pig in your mix-up savegame replaces the vulture in its spawnpoints. So it's really nothing they did right or wrong - its something you interfered with through keeping the savegame.

Until you start a fresh game (verify your game files before doing so and make sure to get rid of the old one) - enjoy your crazy amount of meat you get from those pigs! ;)

We had that weird recipes a few times but restarting the server helps. If we start a new Safe I’m going to make a fresh installation server side.

Just a question... all of a sudden on the server i'm playing on, i can't access ANY storage or workstation, i can still open doors, and my vehicule... i can also hold the use key to change password/unlock and even go on search for said storage, but it still won't access it.... anyone?

Just a question... all of a sudden on the server i'm playing on, i can't access ANY storage or workstation, i can still open doors, and my vehicule... i can also hold the use key to change password/unlock and even go on search for said storage, but it still won't access it.... anyone?

So far the only thing that helped was a restart of the server if we experienced that. Restarting the game on a client base didn't help either.

Interestingly enough, I was able to force that behavior by placing a modded working station i wanted to test which i forgot to assign the windows in the XUI. Thus it might be that once you try to access something that currently doesn't work in the game for a code-side bug you are unable to open anything else. (once i removed the bugged working station I was able to open other things again).

Did you experience trying to open anything before that happened? Maybe that brings us closer to the cause of the issue.

Not getting any kind of consistent stutter like you describe. I do of course get the occasional stutter on events like loading a chunk with lots of things in it or zombie group spawns. If I remain in a relatively empty chunk and just run around - it's as smooth as glass, actually. Inside POIs though the game feels laggy even when FPS is still relatively high. The memory controller on my GPU is absolutely maxed out in those areas. It's like the pixel shaders are eating up every bit of bandwidth in the memory bus. The reason I think it's something to do with shaders is the only time I've ever seen anything eat that much power is when I play with extensive shader mods for games and emulators and go crazy with them. There's something going on with the textures that's just costing WAY too much performance.

Good to know. I still get a slowdown when the chunks load too but I think we're use to that now. Its always done that on the previous alphas. With both mine and the wives systems we both have the i7 2600. I have a 1060 and she has a 960. Our systems are very similar so I wonder if it has something to do with the processor architecture or something with how regular the stutter is. I'm sure the game will be optimized down the road but its an annoying little glitch.

We get pretty big lag going inside structures too.

yes, those new dungeon style buildings are scary good :)

game itself is not too hard even for beginners. i lowered my difficulty to adventurer and up to day 8 i only died by my own spikes, i was careless and got punished. vultures are sweet pain in azz, i love and hate them same time. finding food is hardest part of game. but it is manageable.

good job TFP

edit: i love the new way z's stand up after knocked down, it makes melee fight much better. my only concern is loot quality from z dropped bags. so far i have got mostly beer and few 9 mil rounds. nothing too good or too many in quantities. anyway, i would not make it back to a16 style.

Whoever designed these new dungeon prefabs, you have my deepest respect! Currently investigating a victorian house at 1580N, 770E (Navezgane) and I'm in awe. No spoilers!

He is a great artist and the better or harder the poi’s the more fun is our experience. Love them!

Altogether, the poi’s, the pathing, the skills, the Hd textures, all the stuff I enjoy...that’s why I bought a steam key yesterday and gave it to an unknown guy from Australia...

Whoever designed these new dungeon prefabs, you have my deepest respect! Currently investigating a victorian house at 1580N, 770E (Navezgane) and I'm in awe. No spoilers!

I know! Omg so fantastic. So creative!! I found a pig farm/butchery thing, was simply amazing with the detail and the low-key jumping puzzle made with hatches on the pig pens (so cute, btw lol).

OMG, we never noticed that lock tooltip, and no one had mentioned it at all! Maybe the popup field size can be expanded to the entire perk text, not just the lock icon?

You're not the only one that missed this. I thought I had actually hovered over this already, and/or clicked it, but I probably was wrong and just did that for the text.

Expanding it to the entire perk text is OK for a mouseover but probably would cause problems with left-click (which also works on the lock icon).

I think, at the very least, the lock icon should look like an interactive "action button" and not just an informational icon. That small change alone probably would have clued us in.

(All IMHO.)

New POI loot setup is kinda easy to take advantage of. Like the old big buildings everyone knows the loot is on the top floor, so they just build ladders on the outside and go in thru roof. I would randomize the good loot containers and the Zs protecting them.

Edit:

New zombie Ai is kinda broken, say you have an underground base but extend out thru the ground. If you surround that base with concrete and the player is deep enough they will pound ground at the edge of concrete blocks nowhere near the player.

So I just started farming because animal spawns are unreliable and infrequent and apparently it costs five of any crop to make one seed. and harvesting a crop only gives one crop.

How is that even remotely sustainable? Am I missing something or is farming not even worth your time anymore?

There is a perk (I think it's called "living off the land") that allows you to get more crops per harvest. That, and the fact that you don't need to re-plant any more, and I think farming is still viable/necessary.

Left click is pretty much useless now as the power attack is by far the best way to attack and gather. Here are some ideas for improvement:

1. Combo system that gives a damage or Crowd control bonus for left and right click combos; 2 jabs followed by a right hook to stun a zombie or combo a tree or stone for a slight chance at a rare resource. Could also combo body parts; jab to head, jab to body, then sweep the leg for a bonus; explode limb, ragdoll, damage etc.

2. Crowd control for attack; stun, winded, blind, etc chance and able to hit multiple enemies at once while power attack is single enemy finisher. And Stealth harvest for resources for sneaking and entering.

3. Chance to parry, reflect, block incoming attack when used at the right time. Still able to harvest when tool is broken (left click only).

What is with Crack-A-Book?

I went in and most of the shelves were replaced with empty ones.

Then this zombie went out of his way to take out the few shelves that had books.

Finally, when I saw that most of said skill books were replaced with these temporary boosters, that boost a skill for half an hour. This last one made the least sense.

I also may have found a bug, seems that I found several skill books of the same type but accidently used two. It shouldn't have used up the skill once I learned it.

Devs i have a few questions re Graphic changes:

Devs i have a few questions re Graphic changes:

Can or will the ability to use FalloffRange be returned for light.

This was used for light intensity attenuation. Realistic depth lighting

vs projection like minbike or spotlight.

"It has been changed to DamageFallOffChange"

Can or will the ability to use "Ambient" 2d texture be returned, The gradient

files no longer control the effect in the biomes, a single math value has

replaced it. I read the dev readme notes. The level has been set to greater

than the upper limit stated in the readme.

Faatal can you please point to the parameters and or file to use and assign

the lightflicker class.

So has anyone tried a base at bedrock.

I would be interested in a report.

How did it do vs

Regular zeds

Wandering horde

Blood moon horde

Pics of the aftermath would be nice.

In a creative game I tested the digging abilities of a day 7 horde in the forest biome. They dug a tunnel about 20 blocks deep. If you are going to create an underground base your access shaft needs to be a fair distance away or they will just dig into your shaft.

Well we had our day 14 horde tonight. I made the suggestion that we move the fight to another location away from our forges and workbenches. We found one of those little houses with the well/bunker, cleared it covered the area with iron spike and spent the night in the bunker.

They never got in. We killed a few when it was over and went about our day. Now keep in mind that the day seven horde almost over ran us and the ended up on the roof of our base with us. This is the first time I have tried staying underground for horde night but it is still the safest place to be early game.

Why the new game feels like it is rigged to kill you !!!

I went into a house. Accidentally a zombie trigger a fall trap and fall down. So, i take extra precaution and save myself and then I found the way down to fall trap area. This far all good, when I check and stair from top looks like they are going all the way down, but they are not they were 3 block short. So (I guess in dungeon, you don't have to make your way it is already there. so why these ladder not way down? one has to create way out. Second then I go down 2-3 steps and I can see those two zombie that fall of, Now, I am inside the 8-10 block cave but still on ladder that this POI has.

Once i step further down, I didn't realise those missing ladder and fall, and as soon as I land, suddenly 5 zombie spawn around me, and within 2 second they hit me. I try to run but there is no room for 7 zombie and me in that small area. So when I was on ladder why spawn doesn't happen? it seem like system is rigged to caught you in break.

This is just one of few instance that happen to me. In nutshell, zombie are spawning in front of me. Like just 2 m away or sometime to next block. Why is it not that when you enter a building all zombie get spawn even if you are not in that room ?

- - - Updated - - -

Question: how to get best get Can of Acid. I go to working stiff, crack a book, houses, Pawn shop didn't find any there.

Archived