Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I've been searching through this forum a bit, and I've seen plenty of comments about various dynamics people like or performance issues people are having, but I haven't seen a whole lot about the skill/level progression change. In A16 (and earlier) many skills improved through their use (i.e. digging makes you a better digger), but A17 seems to promote a system where you can acquire skill in things you may never have even done before (i.e. Leveling up to put points in cooking, even though you've never cooked a thing in the game). For me, this has seriously taken away from the sense of accomplishment you build up over time. Would anyone care to comment? I would love to hear from the dev team about why this change was made.

I can toally see where your coming from! I like pieces from both systems so far. But I haven't played much.

What are you recommending to play in a17? RWG or Navezgane? Will I loose something if I won't play Navezgane? I officially like RWG map much more.

Play RWG for now. Once the game has finalized the story (in 1.0 or even later), you can experience that in Navezgane.

what do i have to change "asdf" to for WorldGenSeed?

Anything you like, the name of the world seems not to be used as the seed anymore, now WorldGenSeed combined with another value (the storage location I think) is the seed for the RWG generation

I purposely avoided all streams, and was looking forward to the game feeling all "new" and unspoiled again. But what are those graphics? Everything turns into blurry blobs just a few metres from me, and I already cranked up the LOD setting. This and the washed out look really doesn't feel like a positive change at ALL.

I had to go Ultra settings & Texture Quality has to be FULL to get rid of the Play-Dough look & you will have the pointy grass back.

Play RWG for now. Once the game has finalized the story (in 1.0 or even later), you can experience that in Navezgane.

Anything you like, the name of the world seems not to be used as the seed anymore, now WorldGenSeed combined with another value (the storage location I think) is the seed for the RWG generation

I had to use 1-8 for the World Sizes or my Server would not Load. I chose 8 for the Seed & the World Size is 8,192, it gives you a Random County or Territory. I chose 8,192 & left it at the Default of 1 & my Server would not Load. I changed it to 8 & my Server worked & I tried it with other seeds too like 2, 3.

well that was tense.... died 3 times on day 1

what level intellect do you need to be to get the forge? im on 3 and it keeps telling me to increase intellect. proves im dumb i supoose...

tried it with nerdy glasses too - no luck.

If you die you get a debuff on attributes, maybe that keeps you from learning forge perk.

Have you tried hovering with the mouse over the perk. Can't test atm but it was posted here that hovering gives more information now.

Just a quick first impression on A17.

Great update so far. It's taken the game back to earlier Alphas in terms of how much more difficult it is at the beginning. I've died twice so far on day 1. I haven't died on day 1 since A6! So far I've not come across any bugs, I get the occassional lag, but some adjustments of the graphics settings seem to have cured that. All in all, and admittedly after only a couple of hours play, I'm so happy with this build. I haven't jumped out of my skin like I am since the early days. Welcome back 7DaystoDie - this is how it should be in my opinion. Loving the new perks system. Just scratching a day of survival without dying is, for me at least, a challenge again. Right, off to see how long this game lasts.

Thanks TFP. Worth the wait? I think so.

I had to use 1-8 for the World Sizes or my Server would not Load. I chose 8 for the Seed & the World Size is 8,192, it gives you a Random County or Territory. I chose 8,192 & left it at the Default of 1 & my Server would not Load. I changed it to 8 & my Server worked & I tried it with other seeds too like 2, 3.

Might be a RWG bug. WorldGenSeed is what GameName was in A16, you can use arbitrary strings

well the new build looks great but i cant say im really sold on then new skill tree and the health / stam systems ive died a few times on the first day which was to be expected but farming and building now feels like a real chore took me best part of a day (2 hrs ish) to build my first base. im going to have to say jury is out at the moment until i reach the first blood moon. as a single player part of the fun of this game was restarting and trying new things but first impressions tell me this is going to be a struggle when your faced with having to pick certain skills and having to wait for stamina to replenish constantly.

All things all, I still absolutely dislike wellness and looting bodies change. And probably will never agree with it.

The Marksman Rifle, ammo, Night Vision Goggles and some food I got off one zombie helped me get over that really quickly. The +2 Perception sunglasses off another one sealed the deal. :)

I've been searching through this forum a bit, and I've seen plenty of comments about various dynamics people like or performance issues people are having, but I haven't seen a whole lot about the skill/level progression change. In A16 (and earlier) many skills improved through their use (i.e. digging makes you a better digger), but A17 seems to promote a system where you can acquire skill in things you may never have even done before (i.e. Leveling up to put points in cooking, even though you've never cooked a thing in the game). For me, this has seriously taken away from the sense of accomplishment you build up over time. Would anyone care to comment? I would love to hear from the dev team about why this change was made.

I think I might like that change. But to really **know** if I like it or not I will have to play A17 through at least once or twice.

This was discussed already a few times in forum threads and I don't think you will find many who want to start that discussion again at the moment when everyone is either playing (the players) or bug fixing (the devs)

My suggestion: Play A17 for at least a month, then post your opinion about the perk system. And then install a suitable mod if your opinion about it didn't change.

These things should be easy?

there is nothing difficult about farming the mats to build a basic base it just feels like a real chore now having to wait for stamina and unable to improve basic tools. as i said before these are first impressions

The Marksman Rifle, ammo, Night Vision Goggles and some food I got off one zombie helped me get over that really quickly. The +2 Perception sunglasses off another one sealed the deal. :)

Lucky bastard, I just found 2 can of ham in my first bag. I nearly shook my fist gen heaven and shouted: "You mocking me?" :smile-new:

may of already been mentioned but both me and my brother both have zeds both spawning like right in front or behind us as well as clear out sleepers turn around turn back and one pops up where there was none, one popped up next to me after I turned 90 degrees to loot a fridge. Also seems odd to see over 15 wolfs day 1.

there is nothing difficult about farming the mats to build a basic base it just feels like a real chore now having to wait for stamina and unable to improve basic tools. as i said before these are first impressions

I was more focused on the base-building part of your comment anyway because it was the one you elaborated. It took me until night of my first day to get just a simple base up where I actually could hide from prying eyes. It was a struggle, and even then I was worried about being detected inside while I tinkered around. I see nothing wrong with this.

So, I just want to list some things off.

Bugs/ Possible Bugs:

On night 1 - day 2 in Navezgane, my party encountered a horde with a radioactive military zombie, which with three people, on a roof, using bows and what little ammunition we had finally killed. (Upwards of 150 arrows, 20 7.62, 60 9mm, and 30 shotgun shells with melee mixed in) Not one drop or xp, and his body was impervious to damage from level 2 axes and clubs until it despawned. It destroyed everything in its path, luckily it destroyed the ladder to reach us, but it near leveled a brick building over 15 minutes. This seems a little excessive for Night 1 - Day 2.

If you craft something you are already wearing, it seems to generate into the nether and be gone forever. (So you cannot craft for teammates)

Crafted clothing does not seem to be affected by higher level crafting.

The stamina system tied to food seems ridiculously buggy or maybe its just me. But having to eat like an Olympic swimmer to keep stamina up. Or walking into a cold biome my body starts burning fuel like an old muscle car idling.

The near death de-buff, (Which I despise) Locks your talents. If you have 3 points in intellect and the de-buff knocks it down to 1. You are unable to buy a perk that requires 3 intellect. I cannot wrap my head around that.

Why is the bicycle behind a level 30 gate? Its a bicycle.

Zombies either got alot stealthier or, they are spawning behind us. That is a problem. If I clear a room, I do not want to turn around to have a zombie spawn in magically and attack me.

I do want to add, I appreciate the work into the system that has been done here. The game looks pretty, something I never thought I could say. There is still frame rate issues etc, but there are some great things. I hope this is the right place to put this, as I just registered because the things listed above I needed to get off my chest.

Try to play using 32bit launcher. Then maybe you can try to increase graphics.

- - - Updated - - -

For those who can't play! Use 32 bit launcher!

well it got a bit better but not by mutch .. :)

Tested out some stuff in DM mode and ... well and I must say ima lil bit dissapointed about this update ..

seems this game now is going to more survival, building big coud be a problem now .. :)

New zombie pathfindig is great (no more running around in circles hurray^^)

New combat is nice (hitboxes feels a bit off ..)

But kind of getting wreid when ur standing right upon their heads and they ignoring it and just going for the nearest pillar and trying to destroy it so all my base collapses ... intelligent zeds?? :/ makes no sense, but well maybe thats what happens when u eat too much brains .. xD

Overall very nice update but I must say my excitiment went quite down after testing out some stuff :)

I like a lot of the changes you guys have made, well done! I'm even coming around to the zombies not having loot (thankfully, whew). Zombies aren't nearly as difficult as I thought they would be.

That being said, I'm finding it stifling to be required to get to lvl 20 before you start getting iron tools. Only lvl 13 right now but I will probably have the same problem for abilities further down the road.

Pacing is important but if it's possible I may just have to see what the game feels like without the level requirement for skills. Seems like I may have more fun.

Once you get the hang of it and get a few perks and find say an iron axe you can really start to slaughter then and gain a ton of XP. I'm almost level 40 on day 13. I like that you actually have time to use each armor tier now, before you'd go straight to the best stuff.

Archived