Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Guys for first lvls which perks do you suggest to improve?

Strength, pack mule, cardio, skull crusher, agility, fortitude, healing factor, then grab living off the land so you can farm or the harvest one for animals. Get miner perks after day 7 and use a really small POI for your first horde night, or build with flagstone.

Yep, this will slow initial progression down quite a bit. Can’t get a forge/workbench until level 20 either. This is a good thing- I’m best buds with my local trader now!

Never used traders in a16..but t seems now that they are a must for quests....not a fan of the buying selling thing....call it immersion or whatever..just trying to survive.

Seeing how quickly stamina and health drop in the beginning I would suggest investing in the perks that increase stamina and passive health regeneration immediately (can't remember exact names of the perks.) and of course increasing their max values is great too.

Being a good hunter gatherer remedies all of that. Bottom line if you have enough food your healthy and full of energy.

Strength, pack mule, cardio, skull crusher, agility, fortitude, healing factor, then grab living off the land so you can farm or the harvest one for animals. Get miner perks after day 7 and use a really small POI for your first horde night, or build with flagstone.

My first 5 after starter quests are....1 point in STR, AG, Rule #1 Cardio, Fully Hydrated, Slow Metabolism....makes the most sense with limited stamina and food. I am a big bow user, but my 6th point goes into Pack mule.

My god, a wandering horde appeared shortly after 22:00 and tore through my POI like it was butter, they fed well.

How did they know I was there?

Noise is the way they find you, when you can't be seen. Some player actions are loud, like shooting guns.

Noise is the way they find you, when you can't be seen. Some player actions are loud, like shooting guns.

Faatal...i know you did an awesome job on AI and Pathing...but is there away to spread out a horde, especially a wandering one...The Zs come at you in a conga line of death...you just have to pick them off and misses usually hit the one behind?? Just wondering.

Ouch

I'm talking about making power attack press and hold lmb and rmb becomes block and double right click = knockback for a18. Sledge has some crowd control AOE knockdown perks though.

Press and hold LMB for power attack woud be much better, even without the additonal blocks and etc.

Edit, a block would be awesome tho, especially if u can use tras can lids and other things

Could anyone clarify the sneek Eye meter for me?

I get that when crouched a lower number is better. But it's not behaving as I expected.

If I take a sneek shot, get the double damage, and z heads towards me, the Eye meter isn't hitting 100. Even after another shot or two.

Was expecting it to max at 100 as soon as a z locked on...?

I'm sure you know literally 100's of people who don't know how to cook anything. I think its a mistake to assume any character knows how to do anything beyond the minimum of survival needs. You can survive scrounging food and buying food at a trader or any vending machine, and eat raw vegetables. If your character is role played to be a cook then put some points into it. Its not a must have.

No I actually dont know anyone who doesn't know how to cook, at least an egg or corn

Except kids. But I might be cultural. Where I'm from every one learns how too cook in school. Its Basic knowledge here! :)

My god, a wandering horde appeared shortly after 22:00 and tore through my POI like it was butter, they fed well.

How did they know I was there?

Things like noise, torches, cooking attract hoards. If you need to cook or use a forge at night and don't want hoards. You might want to do that away from your base.

I apologize in advance if this question was already asked somewhere in this 2048+ page discussion...

MAP GENERATION

Could someone please explain:

1. the new map generation process

2. the folder structure on the server

3. how player progression data is moved from one save to another

I put up a server yesterday with WorldGenSeed and GameName as the same value and it generated what looks like a pre-defined world that is named. When you view it in the server listing it has some strange name.

I concluded that I had assumed the configuration incorrectly so I just put up another server with the WorldGenSeed value empty "" and GameName with my desired seed. The same folder structure was produced with yet another name.

Lost. And I can't find documentation anywhere. Please help.

there is nothing difficult about farming the mats to build a basic base it just feels like a real chore now having to wait for stamina and unable to improve basic tools. as i said before these are first impressions

Nearly every nerf we added early game can be removed and become a buff later game. We couldn't star with 50% and go to 100%. Most stuff you can do better than ever perked up, but start worse than before. More progression = good.

No I actually dont know anyone who doesn't know how to cook, at least an egg or corn

Except kids. But I might be cultural. Where I'm from every one learns how too cook in school. Its Basic knowledge here!

My only problem with the argument that "some people really don't know how to cook" is BS when it comes to boiling corn and eggs. Its makes no difference how you apply the heat. Kettle of water, straight on the fire, hell even laying really close to the fire would work. You get the corn or egg hot for a few minutes and it is cooked. Yeah it might taste like crap but it will still fill you up. But, it is a game so I just let it slide.

The whole Living off the Land perk bothers me more anyway. Lol It should be Intellect and then put one where it currently is called Iron Stomach that lets you lower your chances of getting sick from eating raw food/rotten flesh. Makes way more sense. That may be my first attempt at a Mod for this Alpha.

Being Encumbered was a much needed feature, being able to run circles around Z's was a Big Exploit. If you get tired & run out of breath you should have to stand & fight for your life. Got to live the Romero Lifestyle if you want to play 7DTD in my opinion.

Where is the like button at?

Things like noise, torches, cooking attract hoards. If you need to cook or use a forge at night and don't want hoards. You might want to do that away from your base.

I burped while upgrading a block of my shed and it was so sinchronized with the hit and sound of upgrade with stone axe, that a lumberjack came angry and destroyed me , I though he heard me via the mic. Fantastic .

I think there is one notable exception to this. Goldenrod tea. You need the perk to make it and you need the tea to address the food poisoning you will get from eating raw vegetables and canned food. Yes, there are other options for food poisoning but goldenrod is the only reliable cure for this.

You get 5 perk points for completing the starter quest. Use them wisely.

I'm not a fan of the hour-long death debuff. Nothing in the game should hinder to for a full hour, as that just makes me want to leave the game running and go play something else for that hour. There's no incentive to go out looting, as you're now more likely to die than you were before you... died.

Sure it feels good getting your stuff back, but you can just wait an hour and get it back when you've recovered. I do like the debuff, but I just think the cap on it needs lowered. Granted, we're playing a server with the hardest settings, so death is much more recurring. Zombies kill you in 2 hits and a full 2 mags of AK rounds (rank 2 AK woot) didn't take down a running military zombie lol. So we're getting used to dying, but no real progression can be made bc of that debuff. It incentivises afk players while further penalizing those that try to go out looting.

Just my ten cents on the debuff. I'm sure many will disagree, and that's ok. Just starting a conversation that may have already been covered. With 2725 pages in this thread... I'm not delving that deep to find any mention of the debuff lol.

Its like in real life if you get hurt or sick you can't do the things you were planning to do. I still do them though, but have to go a little slower or sometimes change your plans like work on your base that day. THe debuff isn't any worse than day 1 when you spawned and you were out doing stuff then, so I don't see why you feel so debilitated. Your always stronger than a newly spawned character because your tier 1 perks never go away. So with this mentality do you go afk when you are level 1 and use cheats to level up? Its not worse than being level 1, so I don't understand comments like these. Ok you lost some of your SUPER POWERS but not all of them.

MM..question on perks....I am level 14 and have 3 points in each of the 5 attributes. For example....why can i only put 1 point into Pack mule under STR......i want to open more slots...Do I have to wait until level 20 or something to open 4 more slots under pack mule.. I dont want any of the other subperks under STR....VERY CONFUSING>>>

Can you post an explanation on how these work..Do levels affect opening perks ..ontop of the Attributes...Confused???

Ouch

Perks have attribute requirements and attributes have level requirements. You can see the requirements by clicking on the LOCK icon in your backpack. We're working on improving the messaging there so its clear when you click the buy button why you can't buy it.

Archived