Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Why are so many people complaining about how bad the game runs now? What part of experimental test branch do you not understand? If you don't like how the game runs opt out and go back to alpha 16.4

why are we complaining ? i dunno cuz we paid to support development and wanted to enjoy the update that took 1 and a half year to make nothing minor i guess we are spoiled and entitled to actually play the game we paid for

Anyone have melee tips? I can’t seem to find a fluid strategy of attack that doesn’t get me pummeled.

Get used to the reach of the different melee weapons and also the delay to hit with regular and power attacks. You will need to master these things because the position of your crosshair at the peak of your swing is the only thing that matters to hit. Close doesn't seem to cut it so make sure your swings are precise. It becomes more natural over time so just keep at it and kill any zombie you can.

It seems that landing a headshot doesn't do more damage unless you put points into the perk for melee headshot damage. I'd advise getting those first two headshot perks once you feel comfortable with your swings.

I purposely avoided all streams, and was looking forward to the game feeling all "new" and unspoiled again. But what are those graphics? Everything turns into blurry blobs just a few metres from me, and I already cranked up the LOD setting. This and the washed out look really doesn't feel like a positive change at ALL.

Is your gamma 32? try setting graphics to high, to reset everything to a default, then turn things down as needed for performance and preference.

hope you guys prioritize that your game on steam is getting review bombed due to how many people cant play the new build at all because of having less than 20 fps all the time

If people are review bombing an EXPERIMENTAL build they should be banned from posting reviews. They are too stupid to be allowed to participate in civilized discourse.

I’m playing with identical settings to my a16 and I think the performance is arguably better. Keep in mind recording software puts a considerable load on the machine as well so a streamer won’t get the same FPS as they would if they weren’t recording.

I genuinely feel for those who are getting really low FPS but my point before is my machine isn’t top of the line and it is over two years old so I don’t think this is all about poor optimisation on TFPs part.

i lost about 30% of my fps since 16.4 but some of my friends lost way more dropping from stable 50-70 to allways bellow 15 wich is even weirder since it it looks like it affect players at random even with the same gpus

Why are so many people complaining about how bad the game runs now? What part of experimental test branch do you not understand? If you don't like how the game runs opt out and go back to alpha 16.4

Well.. To be fair; my FPS dropped by 40%. Two friends of mine just tested A17e, and found they had average FPS values of 11 and 15. So.. It's a valid complaint imho.

I doubt there will be some magic switch in the code which brings back that 40% after reaching stable.. ;-)

So in order to get lvl 2 pack mule you need 4 points in STR .. which you can only get at lvl 20...correct??

Nope, to get level 2 in pack mule you only need 3 in strength which has no level requirements on it. I know because I have purchased it in two different games.

So in order to get lvl 2 pack mule you need 4 points in STR .. which you can only get at lvl 20...correct??

Unless you find an item that gives strength. I found sunglasses that gives perception and i can buy perks than need 3 Perception without spending any points in it. :)

If people are review bombing an EXPERIMENTAL build they should be banned from posting reviews. They are too stupid to be allowed to participate in civilized discourse.

i am of the opinion that reviews should be valid for only a limited time like 6 months or something since lots of games have constant updates nowadays and many times they dont reflect the actual product, but banning people from posting reviews is censoring free speech so i usually read the reviews instead of just looking at a blue/red bar

i am of the opinion that reviews should be valid for only a limited time like 6 months or something since lots of games have constant updates nowadays and many times they dont reflect the actual product, but banning people from posting reviews is censoring free speech so i usually read the reviews instead of just looking at a blue/red bar

Reviews attached to a beta build/alpha version would fix the issue.

I purposely avoided all streams, and was looking forward to the game feeling all "new" and unspoiled again. But what are those graphics? Everything turns into blurry blobs just a few metres from me, and I already cranked up the LOD setting. This and the washed out look really doesn't feel like a positive change at ALL.

Is your gamma 32? try setting graphics to high, to reset everything to a default, then turn things down as needed for performance and preference.

Check your DOF (Depth Of Field) and Motion Blur settings, turning them off could help a lot if that is what is causing your problems. I hate them and turn them off always first thing.

I've been searching through this forum a bit, and I've seen plenty of comments about various dynamics people like or performance issues people are having, but I haven't seen a whole lot about the skill/level progression change. In A16 (and earlier) many skills improved through their use (i.e. digging makes you a better digger), but A17 seems to promote a system where you can acquire skill in things you may never have even done before (i.e. Leveling up to put points in cooking, even though you've never cooked a thing in the game). For me, this has seriously taken away from the sense of accomplishment you build up over time. Would anyone care to comment? I would love to hear from the dev team about why this change was made.

We added attributes that govern your perk choices. If your attribute gets damaged you lose the perks if you no longer meet the requirements. This allowed for us to make more interesting debuffs and death penalties than only having health and stamina to deal with.

Long story short, we had skills sandwiched between attributes and perks and all it did was confuse everyone and add clutter to the UI. So Attributes governed skills which governed perks? It was so confusing Everyone hated it.

I had considered making attributes gain through actions but at the end of the day its not that much fun to grind skills in order to buy perks. When it reaches 100 you cannot gain any skill doing what you love, like in Skyrim it suffered that problem. Once your skill is maxed you are leveling skills you hate just to raise your level. They later added the ledgendary reset thing, but I'm not a fan of it so much. You lose all your perks and started over at 15 skill. So suddenly you were a horrible swordsman after being the best of the best.

With this system you can play how you want to play and buy what you want. No spam crafting junk you don't need, no jumping off of bridges to raise your athletics (Oblivion), no sneaking in the corner of a bar to level your sneak (Oblivion/skyrim)... that stuff is bs. I can argue that skill grinding is even more unrealistic than what we have now because nobody learns how to chop off heads by punching grass. Think of it as reading a book and learning a new skill to go try out.

In real life you fundamentally walk through a new action in your brain before your body does it. Think of the perk as deciding to walk down a path and then doing it.

At the end of the day I'm playing the game how I want to play it. Crafting exactly what I need, specializing in the perks I want. Why have to jump 13,588 times to reach agility level 5? Is it fun bunny hopping? Nope. Sorry but this is the best system IMO.

Gazz In last update There was a coretemp change rate % that I could mess with as too give it a faster or more gradual difference in temp.

I can not seem to find this Now.

Seems like temperature is all hard numbers now.

Is that correct or is there a number I can change or do I have to Mod this back in myself?

NVM I found it weathersurvival Seems it is all set to 0 and missing many things from previous version.

Going to try and copy paste old into here and see what happens provably crash the game.

So I am correct it is all hard numbers now.

This is a bad idea at this stage of game unless it is meant for future use as to have seasons added over entire map.<<(Only reason I can see for it)

As it is now you can go from overheating on 1 single block to Instantaneously freezing on the block right next to it.

As it is now only way to prevent this is to carry around 2 different sets of clothing at all times.

How Is anyone to loot anything with an entire set of clothing taking up space in there inventory???

Clothing doesn't have any negative values. In other words shorts keep you some warm, but keep you a lot cool. So in most cases you don't need to change clothing once you get enough good stuff.

We added attributes that govern your perk choices. If your attribute gets damaged you lose the perks if you no longer meet the requirements. This allowed for us to make more interesting debuffs and death penalties than only having health and stamina to deal with.

Long story short, we had skills sandwiched between attributes and perks and all it did was confuse everyone and add clutter to the UI. So Attributes governed skills which governed perks? It was so confusing Everyone hated it.

I had considered making attributes gain through actions but at the end of the day its not that much fun to grind skills in order to buy perks. When it reaches 100 you cannot gain any skill doing what you love, like in Skyrim it suffered that problem. Once your skill is maxed you are leveling skills you hate just to raise your level. They later added the ledgendary reset thing, but I'm not a fan of it so much. You lose all your perks and started over at 15 skill. So suddenly you were a horrible swordsman after being the best of the best.

With this system you can play how you want to play and buy what you want. No spam crafting junk you don't need, no jumping off of bridges to raise your athletics (Oblivion), no sneaking in the corner of a bar to level your sneak (Oblivion/skyrim)... that stuff is bs. I can argue that skill grinding is even more unrealistic than what we have now because nobody learns how to chop off heads by punching grass. Think of it as reading a book and learning a new skill to go try out.

In real life you fundamentally walk through a new action in your brain before your body does it. Think of the perk as deciding to walk down a path and then doing it.

At the end of the day I'm playing the game how I want to play it. Crafting exactly what I need, specializing in the perks I want. Why have to jump 13,588 times to reach agility level 5? Is it fun bunny hopping? Nope. Sorry but this is the best system IMO.

Totally agree. And the new perk trees are awesome!

now we talking about balance is there any plans for more attachments for tools and bows? , we have 5 slots available and allmost nothing to put in them also i think the pickaxe deals allmost no damage to blocks with a maxed character compared to previous alphas wich is ok since u can harvest more with perks but breaking blocks is so slow i hope we get breaking and entering perk back so i can smash down walls really quick wich my sledgehammer

Dead on day 3, taking on too many zombies for my level & skill. Happy me, that would've been easy in A16. Could do with a "wipe all stats on death" setting for us dead-is-deaders maybe, considering how long the maps take to load/generate.

Delete your character profile and rejoin.

Know what would be cool? A shove feature. You walk into a room, there's 4 sleepers that get up. You try to exit and a zombie comes from behind and pins you in: insta-death basically. If you could shove that zed out of the way....

I'm talking about making power attack press and hold lmb and rmb becomes block and double right click = knockback for a18. Sledge has some crowd control AOE knockdown perks though.

Pimps put an ear on what Games4Kickz says at 20 minutes or so of his A17 Part 7 video.

The death penalty debuff can be too much punishing for new players and even for low/middle skilled veteran players.

Maybe a solution is to apply this kind of debuff only from warrior and up difficulty.

The debuff doesn't affect level 1 characters, and we added a padding so new players don't respawn starving and stuff.

Archived