Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So let's do the math!

I know that MM is busy polishing up the skill system and taking time off to do a video doesn't get the game playable faster.

Let's say MadMole takes 4 hours to plan, record, edit and publish a video. This is just a rough estimate, IMO it could be done in less time.

Now, I am not sure about this estimate, but unless somebody objects, let's consider it fairly accurate. Let's say TFP have 20 people working full time on the game. Which means each of them works 40 hours per week, which amounts to 40 x 20 = 800 man hours per week.

Now let's say MadMole decides to shoot a video each week until the new alpha is released. So he subtracts the 4 hours from the total amount of hours worked by TFP in a week. That brings the total to 796 hours. Which is 99.5% of the time they would have worked without shooting the video.

"shooting a video slows down development" is just an excuse, because it is slowed down by 0.5%. For those wondering what 0.5% over a year is: it is less than 2 days! You could have a video per week for a year, just by waiting a couple of extra days at the end.

To sum up:

MadMole recording a video per week would only slow down development by 2 days over a year

Obviously time is not the only concern for TFP when planning a video.

PS @Gazz, you are so busted! ;)

It means we finally get the Finland biome with Finnish hangover vodka zombies.

I'd say it was about due time, too.

Hey devs, me being from Finland, I'd like to volunteer for a vodka zombie prototype. Just give me any booze and I'll show you the beautiful nature of a Finnish hangover. On second thought, we're having that LAN-party this weekend starting today. Bring a box of booze and you'll get good material for a 11 dude vodkahorde! You can add a beer-feature to the Fin-zombie. If a survivor is carrying beer, the z's will run extra fast.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is a fascinating glimpse of what happens when a bunch of people sit around trying to discuss a topic for an entire year. Eventually they just run out of things to say with their mouths and resort to talking out of their asses.

Well...

S9MePWQ.jpg

Ha, nice. Just curious, what part of Utah? Moab, UT was my second home growing up because my grandparents live there. Love that place.

I loved seeing the wide-open skies and terrain over there. Completely different from the densely packed county of Holland where I'm from. Where every square cm has been mapped, re-mapped twice and documented on tv..

We flew from NY to Salt Lake City, spend some time driving at the edge of the lake. Going northwards, passing Ogden, and going through Logan and the Logan Canyon scenic route. Going past Bear lake. 1st night we slept in Pocatello. On the way back from Yellowstone we slept in Ogden.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely NOT happening in the month of September and most likely NOT the first weekend of October and probably NOT the second weekend of October and maybe NOT the third weekend of October. And beyond that-- who knows?

It's NOT done when it's NOT done...?

I've ran out of sarcastic remarks regarding the time schedule of A17/TFP..

Must be getting tougher and tougher for you to represent TFP.

WTF Vega, you were this close to seeing Mt. Rushmore, and you didn't visit my state?? :miserable:

-A

*Googles where Mt. Rushmore is*

*Tries hard to come up with a believable excuse*

Uhh.. Let me see.. *opens Google Maps*

Hmm.. This might work! I see a place called Eagle But(te). How do you expect me to visit a state with a placename clearly disrespecting the greatest of the birds the American continent has to offer? huh?!

:)

It'd be awesome if rarely, or less often, that a Zombie would slowly dig it's way up from out of the sand, as a 'spawn' in the Desert Biome. ;x

Not literally dig up through blocks, but have an animation of it emerging from a spawned pile of sand.

Better than just laying on the floor and getting up from thin air like you see when Screamers find you.

Let's say MadMole takes 4 hours to plan, record, edit and publish a video. This is just a rough estimate, IMO it could be done in less time.

Now, I am not sure about this estimate, but unless somebody objects, let's consider it fairly accurate. Let's say TFP have 20 people working full time on the game. Which means each of them works 40 hours per week, which amounts to 40 x 20 = 800 man hours per week.

Now let's say MadMole decides to shoot a video each week until the new alpha is released. So he subtracts the 4 hours from the total amount of hours worked by TFP in a week. That brings the total to 796 hours. Which is 99.5% of the time they would have worked without shooting the video.

"shooting a video slows down development" is just an excuse, because it is slowed down by 0.5%. For those wondering what 0.5% over a year is: it is less than 2 days! You could have a video per week for a year, just by waiting a couple of extra days at the end.

To sum up:

MadMole recording a video per week would only slow down development by 2 days over a year

Obviously time is not the only concern for TFP when planning a video.

PS @Gazz, you are so busted! ;)

I don't recall anyone seriously saying it did slow down development. Pretty sure the one a few posts ago was just a snark because of the last few pages about talking to lawyers and stuff. I could be wrong but that is how I read it.

I don't recall anyone seriously saying it did slow down development. Pretty sure the one a few posts ago was just a snark because of the last few pages about talking to lawyers and stuff. I could be wrong but that is how I read it.

I agree with you. I don't think that time is their main concern when deciding to do a video :)

Definitely NOT happening in the month of September and most likely NOT the first weekend of October and probably NOT the second weekend of October and maybe NOT the third weekend of October. And beyond that-- who knows?

It's NOT done when it's NOT done...?

I give up, will check back on 7DtD next year...

I agree with you. I don't think that time is their main concern when deciding to do a video :)

I never thought the Madmole gameplay video is one video event. I always think it as a weekly event where madmole continue to play game while fixes been applied. and it is more of 30 minute Streaming event, so not 4hrs planning as you said, he just play 20-30 minute and upload it on youtube. So he can show different stage of game, while playing it. I mean really first day video where he try to remember how to play game, never show case for example how a 4x4 will be found or even how a spike club is crafted which most player will get in 3-4 days.

But They have their way of doing things, so just waiting for when I can play it :).

Bah streamers who cares honestly. I personally don't like streamers cause they act like idiots in my own personal opinion which just turns my stomach. I'll wait for mature videos from Joel or one of the members of the team or the release my self before I personally ever watch a streamer.

the hype train is over since a17e got moved from one month to another :miserable: i just hope they maybe cancel the stream event and just release it for all EA buyer .. because of the long wait for this update :) i would be grateful if they do so ..

*cough* release the kraken? *cough* :p

Archived