Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Don't want a tower defense game? Don't build a tower.

I don't, I build an underground hole. I never see zombies. I got bored and logged in again, replanted some mushrooms, made some more concrete blocks... decided to look up above ground, and why bother? The game needs to force challenge upon the player, not expect me to deliberately handicap myself in order to generate an artificial challenge. Sure, I could decide to only use a club and no armor or skill points and run around at night with no light... but why??

There is literally no in-game reason to leave my base whatsoever. I have water, I have food, and it's perfectly safe underground.

A true sandbox game allows you options, but continues to present challenge. This is not a sandbox game, because you can simply avoid any challenge. The developers have failed to make a game that is challenging on its own merits without the player deliberately handicapping themselves. Even worse, the introduction of tower defense dynamics (ie: hordes of 'special' zombies) will simply punish the player for exploring, and encourages you to simply sit underground and eat mushrooms. Even if you want to fight the special zombies (but why bother?), the best strategy is to mine ore and trade it to the trader for better weapons.

I don't, I build an underground hole. I never see zombies. I got bored and logged in again, replanted some mushrooms, made some more concrete blocks... decided to look up above ground, and why bother? The game needs to force challenge upon the player, not expect me to deliberately handicap myself in order to generate an artificial challenge. Sure, I could decide to only use a club and no armor or skill points and run around at night with no light... but why??

There is literally no in-game reason to leave my base whatsoever. I have water, I have food, and it's perfectly safe underground.

A true sandbox game allows you options, but continues to present challenge. This is not a sandbox game, because you can simply avoid any challenge. The developers have failed to make a game that is challenging on its own merits without the player deliberately handicapping themselves. Even worse, the introduction of tower defense dynamics (ie: hordes of 'special' zombies) will simply punish the player for exploring, and encourages you to simply sit underground and eat mushrooms. Even if you want to fight the special zombies (but why bother?), the best strategy is to mine ore and trade it to the trader for better weapons.

It's a reason TFP is going to bring stuff to challenge the underground bases at some point, just not A17E. They actually want you to be challenged and never 100% safe anywhere. But this then brings up arguments that have been posted ungodly amounts of times. One of the things faatal is doing is working on digging zombies. Bringing a partial challenge. Hasn't been stated in all ways TFP wants to bring challenges to the player, but they are wanting and going to make some. No where should be 100% safe to them.

look on the bright side we still have at least 3 months before next year so that means the release is possibly gonna be in the next 6 - 8 months minimum. not oct. not nov. just stop waiting there is no point when they even release the streamers to play we still have probably 1-3 months to wait after that.

we are all part of the longest wait ever for a single patch i wonder who is close to TFP?

i know there is a few game out there that been in longer but even they release regular patches per year not every year or 2.

you will be surprised my friend....the complaints and aggravation I have heard and seen. Too many choices out there

Do TFP care if those people come back? Those people already paid. They are looking for new people to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

every moment spent complaining about something you dont like is a moment you could have spent doing something you DO like.

stop punching your self in the sack.

but, I DO like complaining about something I don't like, almost as much as I like punching myself in the sack.

Do TFP care if those people come back? Those people already paid. They are looking for new people to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

Why on earth would someone buy a broken game that the Dev's don't have enough money to pay for staff to fix it and roll it out?

I undertand that some of you will jump on the flame wagon and shoot any nonconformist / nonbeliever that posts here but come on... 12 months for a new release?

Why on earth would someone buy a broken game that the Dev's don't have enough money to pay for staff to fix it and roll it out?

I undertand that some of you will jump on the flame wagon and shoot any nonconformist / nonbeliever that posts here but come on... 12 months for a new release?

What's broken that they haven't already acknowledged and will eventually fix (in an alpha product)?

I seriously don't understand what people think they're going to accomplish by coming in here, complaining about things they know next-to-absolutely-nothing about, disparaging the development team, making massive ad-hominem attacks on the character of the Pimps, spewing hyperbolic vitriol about how EHRMAGHERD, ALL DE OVVER GAYMES I PLEY GETS UPDETS ALL DE TYM, and basically acting like spoiled children who are owed something that they are equivocally NOT OWED.

ANYONE who follows this forum for any decent length of time and still refuses to see how hard the TFP team is working...well, they're either willfully ignorant or woefully stupid. I won't make the call as to which.

Grow up, people. Not happy with the length of the dev cycle? Fine, that's a perfectly legitimate frustration. It's NOT a license to behave like a whining, tantrum-throwing child. Put on your big boy/girl shorties and get OVER IT.

Also, if I forgot a dev/forum overseer I forgot to @, sorry! :D

@Roland, @Gazz, @fataal, @Prime, and @madmole -- Thanks for all you've done...and I, for one, am excited to continue the ride. I've gotten WAY more than $20 worth of fun out of this game, and I know I'll continue to do so.

Keyboard warriors man, they are clueless lol. They have no rhyme or reason for anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see this as an epic weapon in game...

-A

Everytime you land a hit it complains about the next alpha takin too long and demanding a release date

I love it when people say something inflammatory and entirely incorrect then paint themselves as the innocent martyr and anyone that disagrees with them is in the wrong.

I will use the same razor on you that I spoke of earlier Ninja Freak. Hitchens' Razor.

You state these things without evidence. so I will dismiss them without evidence.

Have you played any game before? World of warcraft has had multiple years between content... and they have probably 1000s of deva

Love the work so far TFP, can't wait till A17.

Some wishes for you to look into playing around with when you have spare time maybe you like and they could make it in or not.

1) Do away with bird nest and add the feather/eggs in trees with a search option. When I mod I do away with bird nest and make trees a loot container and add the feathers and eggs to the tree container cause it feels more realistic.

2) If there is a way to make the ground layers separate by height. So example every 5 blocks down there is a air layer which keeps getting thinner the deeper you go. Which would cause you to have to make ventilation shafts with powered fans to get air down below.

This would make it challenging where one couldn't just dig down and make a bunker and make them have to spend more time earning points to unlock perks to make equipment to be able to make under ground bunkers with out running out of air.

It's kind of like invisible water layers the longer you are in them the faster you loose air from breath gauge. Then example a fan could push air 5 to 6 blocks in a straight line then a different fan type could take that air flow and turn it in to a square block of air that goes x amount of blocks X,Y,Z

3) Scuba tank and mask for exploring under water for treasure also to help build water bases, this could have future implements for DLC stuff.

Joel still waiting on next video of info or just game play. Please don't hold off videos cause of a bunch of Aholes who whine on your youtube channel there are tons of us behind you and willing to wait for A17.

Archived