Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Trying to remain hyped for A17 be like...

To be honest; I'm getting more hyped about other games for the past half a year, as the hype for 7 days is fading. Maybe you could look into them, if you need inspiration?

Paradox is currently developing it's biggest (and probably last) DLC for Crusader Kings 2. Very nicely done, with weekly dev diaries, going into great detail.

They're also developing Imperator: Rome. Even though it's rather early in the development phase, great potential. Also nice weekly updates.

Even though it's been in development for ages, Mount & Blade: Bannerlord seems to have potential. Whether it will be out in this decade, and whether it therefore comes out before A17, remains to be seen.

<snipped for space>

I've always got plenty to do, that's why I'm not complaining about length of the release cycle.

I'm the kind of idiot who defaults to research if they have free time. I've got a couple of project ideas involving neural nets, artificial life, and genetic algorithms that I'd love to get started. I'm great fun at parties... honestly.

Today's fun involves trying to finish a single mechanic so I can finally declare a server into beta, and hoovering. My lass told me to hoover. So.. to the keyboard it is :-)

I've always got plenty to do, that's why I'm not complaining about length of the release cycle.

I'm the kind of idiot who defaults to research if they have free time. I've got a couple of project ideas involving neural nets, artificial life, and genetic algorithms that I'd love to get started. I'm great fun at parties... honestly.

Today's fun involves trying to finish a single mechanic so I can finally declare a server into beta, and hoovering. My lass told me to hoover. So.. to the keyboard it is :-)

Lol, nice!

Could you let me know in advance if you accidentally invent SkyNet, and it's about to break free? You know, that would be appreciated :)

I keep reading Posts about People leaving to other Games... and are not hyped anymore....

Seriously, can anybody name another survival Game like 7 Days to Die?

None of the other Games have a completley destroyable, Voxel based, random generated World, with a constant Threat of starving, or just being punched in the Face by a bunch of banjo pickin, cousin dating, barefoot embarasments that have forgotten to die, and keep coming over to your House every 7 Days with more and more Nerve wrecking, Devil rejected Realtives to be a real Pain in the Pooper, where all you can do is grab a Shotgun and scream "Suckamahaga"!!!

That was my personal 5 Minute Rant, how is your day? :)

P.S. I think "fin" stands for "Fix it Now" XD

I don't, I build an underground hole. I never see zombies. I got bored and logged in again, replanted some mushrooms, made some more concrete blocks... decided to look up above ground, and why bother? The game needs to force challenge upon the player, not expect me to deliberately handicap myself in order to generate an artificial challenge. Sure, I could decide to only use a club and no armor or skill points and run around at night with no light... but why??

There is literally no in-game reason to leave my base whatsoever. I have water, I have food, and it's perfectly safe underground.

A true sandbox game allows you options, but continues to present challenge. This is not a sandbox game, because you can simply avoid any challenge. The developers have failed to make a game that is challenging on its own merits without the player deliberately handicapping themselves. Even worse, the introduction of tower defense dynamics (ie: hordes of 'special' zombies) will simply punish the player for exploring, and encourages you to simply sit underground and eat mushrooms. Even if you want to fight the special zombies (but why bother?), the best strategy is to mine ore and trade it to the trader for better weapons.

I'm taking this as you saying that your play style bores you. :jaded: Then don't play like that! Lol

I have the same issue like Usimian .. i started playing with a friend .. fresh new game and yeah.. we talked and had quite fun .. but after about 2-3 hours we thought "we need to do that maybe in a few weeks again.." and that were the point we just stopped playing 7D2D ..it´s sad and i mostly start a new game an play it as long as is last ..or until the next needed wipe :)

I have the same issue like Usimian .. i started playing with a friend .. fresh new game and yeah.. we talked and had quite fun .. but after about 2-3 hours we thought "we need to do that maybe in a few weeks again.." and that were the point we just stopped playing 7D2D ..it´s sad and i mostly start a new game an play it as long as is last ..or until the next needed wipe :)

My wife and I faced the same problem; with the impending update bringing a server wipe, and not having any feasible means of determining when that might be, our urge to play has dwindled and spending time in other endeavors. In fact, the moment I saw the Day 1 video from MadMole in A17, I haven't played since.

Not sure what is, but playing A16 just feels like beating a dead horse.. or stripper, I guess. I am very much looking forward to renewing my interest when A17 lands, putting another 1100+ hours into it. Until then... just go down my neglected steam list in the meantime.

I keep reading Posts about People leaving to other Games... and are not hyped anymore....

None of the other Games have a completley destroyable, Voxel based, random generated World, with a constant Threat of starving, or just being punched in the Face by a bunch of banjo pickin, cousin dating, barefoot embarasments that have forgotten to die, and keep coming over to your House every 7 Days with more and more Nerve wrecking, Devil rejected Realtives to be a real Pain in the Pooper, where all you can do is grab a Shotgun and scream "Suckamahaga"!!!

There are none like 7 days to die which is why we are here waiting for the next update, But the hype being over meaning the hype started in june, and slowly going away since waiting for 17 to drop, I cant keep playing 16.4 over and over anymore, starting a new map every month to start fresh, trying to new builds each time can only last so long. Chasing zombies running around in circles not very fun at this point.

But I have to say there isnt another game like 7 days to die so I hope they keep going with this project and never get bored developing it.

I loved seeing the wide-open skies and terrain over there. Completely different from the densely packed county of Holland where I'm from. Where every square cm has been mapped, re-mapped twice and documented on tv..

We flew from NY to Salt Lake City, spend some time driving at the edge of the lake. Going northwards, passing Ogden, and going through Logan and the Logan Canyon scenic route. Going past Bear lake. 1st night we slept in Pocatello. On the way back from Yellowstone we slept in Ogden.

Very nice! I grew up about an hour South of Salt Lake City, beautiful country out there. Glad you were able to explore some of the vast openness out there. I have only been back to Utah twice since moving to Arizona 18 years ago. Now I live in Navezgane County. My spike building skills are superb.

That was my personal 5 Minute Rant, how is your day? :)

P.S. I think "fin" stands for "Fix it Now" XD

Welp.. i like sound ques from Hunt:Showdown. They are masterfully made. Would like to see that one day implented in 7days. My 2 cents

ROFL!!! My MidnightRook summons actually worked!!!!

From post 34033: (Just before your return... And i did not post edit it!)

Xandyr78: thanks and kudos for your posts. (At least until MidnightRook returns. Hey...)

btw - most people assume your avatar is batman underwear. You and I both know it's a guy with a big nose and a smiley face, cuz he's in a happy place! (I do mean quite a few connotations with that...)

Welcome back. Some of us missed you.

Very nice! I grew up about an hour South of Salt Lake City, beautiful country out there. Glad you were able to explore some of the vast openness out there. I have only been back to Utah twice since moving to Arizona 18 years ago. Now I live in Navezgane County. My spike building skills are superb.

Lol. How are the natives? Screaming if they see you?

Bah streamers who cares honestly. I personally don't like streamers cause they act like idiots in my own personal opinion which just turns my stomach. I'll wait for mature videos from Joel or one of the members of the team or the release my self before I personally ever watch a streamer.

Then you watch the wrong streamers. I watched a really bad TV show the other day. I didn't decide that every TV show ever made was awful because of it.

Seriously. The problem they've created is all the peeps (like me) who think "I'm not going to spend a bunch of time building a new base when I'm going to have to start over with A17".

If you play 7 Days based on that reasoning then just uninstall and come back after Gold. You may have to wipe after any update. A17.21 to A17.22 could cause a wipe. That's just the nature of game development. The bugs that are fixed determine when wipes occur and therefore could happen with ANY update.

If you play 7 Days based on that reasoning then just uninstall and come back after Gold. You may have to wipe after any update. A17.21 to A17.22 could cause a wipe. That's just the nature of game development. The bugs that are fixed determine when wipes occur and therefore could happen with ANY update.

Sadly yeah. Worst of all is when something just bugs the save and you have to wipe the save without there being any kind of update, lol.

I dont understand why some people think we want a fully polished game released in a few months .. that´s not the point!

We just like updates..in a set cycle ..

And Early Acces is meant to be buggy.. especially a game within alpha state!

For people who want stable Updates..there is the normal "Stable branch" and some other guys just want to test and maybe report things, they like progress during an EA .. because that is what i like! I want to be part of the progress during the EA phase.... but some don´t understand that ...

I dont understand why some people think we want a fully polished game released in a few months .. that´s not the point!

We just like updates..in a set cycle ..

And Early Acces is meant to be buggy.. especially a game within alpha state!

For people who want stable Updates..there is the normal "Stable branch" and some other guys just want to test and maybe report things, they like progress during an EA .. because that is what i like! I want to be part of the progress during the EA phase.... but some don´t understand that ...

You have any idea how much longer it would take to do the kind of update they are doing with A17 but constantly having to keep a runnable code base to release? They tore the game practically down to "bedrock" and built it back up. I like experimental branches also but those only work when the changes you are making are incremental. This was not that type of update.

Archived