Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Here is a simple idea for stopping people from building underground bases at bedrock because people are making it entirely too complicated.

Have a floor limit that way you flat out can't place building blocks lower than a specified block level that way any structure you build isn't below the range that a zombie can sense you from, this completely stops the complaining about bunkers being cheaty.

Now wasn't that easy?

What about removing the ability to place woodframes right under you to climb up a hole? I have it as a personal rule to never do that and makes the game interesting trying to figure out scaffolding/ladders

I didn't follow half of what you said.

Paths work by using layered grids, which are square, that describe the blocks of an area. They are tiny compared to the size of the world and slow to generate. There are 256 max and they don't link together. They are placed in areas where AI may need to path, like around players or hordes.

Sorry about that some times i think of multiple things faster than

I can write. First part was just a poke the bear, repeat, that Gazz

posted prior regarding Devs and mods. JK Gazz

Second part was rewriting each of the things I had read

previously about pathing limitations.

Third part was how it is potentially circumvented, because of the

limitation. Players multi base, heat generators, to spoof the AI.

Gathered from what i've read here and on web/Unity tutorials.

I modify, for my self to try to first learn what can and can't work

together, and try to design AI response to compensate. Then I play,

selfish endeavour. I ask here because i get clear direction I can

follow.

The final part I was asking, because of the post showing the expansion

and flexibility of calls and controls. Would I be able to associate

the grid squares, with the P_storm emitters. I know that is not their

original purpose, but I was thinking that they may be able to double

as sensors, expanding the pathing plane, like the 2d coordinates

in Electronic Battleship, Or Chess.

The picture that I posted was one i snapped a year ago, after i made

the storm emmitters visible, to understand the layout. Your post

reminded me of it, same sort of layout, So me being me I wondered

if they could be tied together, to create flexible, interactive,

extension of the default pathing grid.

To me 7DTD is breaking boundaries, taking next steps, and with all the

creative flexibility that you all have given. It makes it possible for me

to think in a nonlinear rule bound sense. But since I don't know which code

is incompatible with which yet, I ask because I know I'll get a real answer.

I'm not a writer, not even a native english speaker, but that one sometimes grinds my gears too. Generally, people who misspell words, while the very same words were spelled correctly 10000 times before in plain sight, piss me off on some level. Not enough to start correcting everyone, but enough to chime in when someone else does. :D

While you're at it: Could you also give the users of this forum a lecture on the correct use of the apostrophe? Specifically how it's NOT used for plurals of the vast majority of nouns. That seems to have become a rather pointless trend over the last years or so and it's happening here too.

And if you still have energy, there's always "there"/"their", "your"/"you're" situations, but those just seem to be a lost cause.

And while you are at it English starts with a capital.

I don't think any of us devs want a happy safe place in the vanilla game. If you want to be safe, the main menu is a great place to be. If you want to play the game and be safe, then someone can made a mod of happy cloud city or indestructible blocks or zombie killer aura machine. Mod in your safety if you must, but apart from a super easy difficulty where you sneeze on zombies and they die, I would not expect safety from us.

Love this guy lol!

I don't think any of us devs want a happy safe place in the vanilla game. If you want to be safe, the main menu is a great place to be. If you want to play the game and be safe, then someone can made a mod of happy cloud city or indestructible blocks or zombie killer aura machine. Mod in your safety if you must, but apart from a super easy difficulty where you sneeze on zombies and they die, I would not expect safety from us.

Heh, this needs to be pasted on top, along with MM post about it. So ppl can quit "forgetting" what the Dev's are saying.

Heres what I think.........

STFU all you whingers about games dead, taking too long, whens the game released, blah....I payed $10 for it and have got my moneys worth, anything more is a bonus.

Pretty sick of all this jibba jabba in this thread of forums.....I thought this one was for Developer-Diary, I check in every second day or so for news on the game, I dont wanna read about other peoples thoughts on it, isnt there other threads for that or general chit chat???....

Pretty tiresome scrolling through pages and pages of dribble.

sorry if this comes across as negative but geeezzz the scrolling through pages of rubbish is more frustrating then the wait for the next release.

Anyway Keep up the good work Pimps dont let the haters impact you negatively. great game, good work.

I think that nobody wants to be told their method of play is wrong, or that it should be expressly and intentionally denied. If the devs do it, for story, technical, or to meet their vision, the anguished cries might be no less, but it's their creation. I just think nobody wants someone else criticising the emergent gameplay and scenarios they enjoy.

Well said.

Whatever vanilla will look like there probably will be a lot more options in the final game to select from. And there also exists at least one mod-management program that everyone can install as easy as the game itself and which makes using mods so easy even a "noob" needs no help with it at all.

So eventually each large group of players will have an easy way to play the game how they want to (to a certain extent, card game players probably wont ever be happy with it). What we are arguing about all the time is just the vanilla game with default options, nobody is confined to only playing that.

I remember making a mod in like a14/15 for followers had a nurse to but was code from another modder. Not that hard to move code to animals. ;-)

Cool! I'm sure there will be a lot of code like this out there if this really does become "a modder's wet dream", and if so then all this will hopefully be easily doable! ^n.n^

But many players love mining and building huge underground bases, so that would ruin the game for them.

there are mountains for that

this is a zombie survival game, not a mining simulation, the z's should be able to reach the players everywhere, no place should be completely safe

my post wanted to be a little provocative, not taken very seriously

If you want to be safe, the main menu is a great place to be.

this should be on the steam page in the description of the game :)

I find it interesting that somenone askes the devs to take out things like nerd poling because they like the challenge of having to figure out how to do it without that. So everyone has to lose a possible method of play to satisfy a small segment. If you don't like the method/exploit, then just don't do it. SOLVED. That way those of us do use the method/exploit in the way we like to play still have that option. Myself, nerd poling for example is a means to an end to achieve something. Not everything in the game has to be a grind, it can be if you play it that way, but part of the success of this game is the numerous options, not the harsh restrictions. Let the modders create the more tailored versions and keep vanilla more open.

I find it interesting that somenone askes the devs to take out things like nerd poling because they like the challenge of having to figure out how to do it without that. So everyone has to lose a possible method of play to satisfy a small segment. If you don't like the method/exploit, then just don't do it. SOLVED. That way those of us do use the method/exploit in the way we like to play still have that option. Myself, nerd poling for example is a means to an end to achieve something. Not everything in the game has to be a grind, it can be if you play it that way, but part of the success of this game is the numerous options, not the harsh restrictions. Let the modders create the more tailored versions and keep vanilla more open.

you gotta admit, that nerd poling is an actual exploit.

between nerd poling & building underground, i'd probably say nerd poling is a proper exploit.

makes sense why zombies dont live inside the rock and/or cant really sense you when you're -50 below the surface.. adding some gas or digging zombie threat (i'm 1000% on board for a gas threat)

but nerd poling.. thats just broken

Where is A17... are we looking at days, weeks?

I am dying to play 7D2D again, it has been a while, but I really want to wait to start a game. When we play, we usually invest weeks of playtime into a game - I don't want to have to restart if the patch drops next week. But, if it is going to be another month - I might do it.

Where is A17... are we looking at days, weeks?

I am dying to play 7D2D again, it has been a while, but I really want to wait to start a game. When we play, we usually invest weeks of playtime into a game - I don't want to have to restart if the patch drops next week. But, if it is going to be another month - I might do it.

Maybe a week, maybe a year, and maybe never ...

Over the past year, developers have not done anything.

Why do you think they will do something in the near future?

Archived