Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Who said anything about zombies not able to dig through such a block? All such a block does is stop SI, as long as that block is still there.

Makes it possible for the world generator to place many many dungeons all over the map without thinking about whats above.

Sorry, I misunderstood. When you mention a block with SI like bedrock, I was also thinking durability like bedrock.

I would have said just about any type of pole fort was the biggest exploit. You're hard pressed to even pretent you're challanged.

Pile everything you got in one chessy fort and put a garden at the top for added insult.

Just have to sweat out that one 3000 jar of murky water run and your done till day 1000.

you could even skip the water run by just placing a pool on said roof ;)

Anyway, neither nerdpoling not digging should turn a survival game into a chillout contest.

Why do we have to wait till after the live stream event ()which I have no interest in watching) to test A17e?

I mean it is ready at that point so why not let those that want to play A15e have access?

A form of marketing. And the dev's will watch for and fix bugs discovered in the stream event. Three days later we should have a playable edition. It's a good thing.

A form of marketing. And the dev's will watch for and fix bugs discovered in the stream event. Three days later we should have a playable edition. It's a good thing.

It gives me a weekend to get my affairs in order because after release I won't be getting much done for a while.

Because I am a writer, and this has been driving me nuts...

HOARD: (noun) a stock or store of money or valued objects, typically one that is secret or carefully guarded; or

(verb) to amass a store of money or valued objects, typically in secret.

HORDE: (noun) A large group of people. In this case, zombies who USED to be people.

If you are ever actually facing a zombie "hoard"...well...the zombies are smarter than you're giving them credit for being, and you are screwed.

So...we're facing zombie HORDES, not hoards. Unless you count the soon-to-be-diminished amount of zombie loot AFTER the bloodmoon, which could, I guess, be considered a "hoard" of sorts.

HOARD: (noun) a stock or store of money or valued objects, typically one that is secret or carefully guarded; or

HORDE: (noun) A large group of people. In this case, zombies who USED to be people.

If you are ever actually facing a zombie "hoard"...well...the zombies are smarter than you're giving them credit for being, and you are screwed.

What about WHORED?

Not to mention the 3 days of artificial scarcity makes the streamers and their followers want it all the more, which creates buzz that a game in the middle of the EA process has more trouble getting/maintaining than one at the start or end of the EA lifecycle enjoys.

The alpha 1_.0e versions have historically had awful bugs that take a few days to a few weeks to squash. Totally unsuitable for actually playing. I'm content to let the streamers take the first wave of those. I may muck around with the .0e version that first week but it won't be with the intent of making a base or anything long-term like that. Maybe a week of total nomadic looting and such...

The alpha 1_.0e versions have historically had awful bugs that take a few days to a few weeks to squash. Totally unsuitable for actually playing. I'm content to let the streamers take the first wave of those. I may muck around with the .0e version that first week but it won't be with the intent of making a base or anything long-term like that. Maybe a week of total nomadic looting and such...

When A17-E drops, I plan to play an SP game to learn the effects of the changes and map out what I think I want to do with the new perk/skill system. When stable comes, I'll be ready for a proper PvE run with my friends.

My point is that I don't view them as deficiencies. People should be able to find ways, with the appropriate amount of effort, to create secure bases. Call it phase 1 of survival game play (or phase 2, if phase 1 is "don't die"). I think that creating reasons for players to leave their base would add the most value to the game because it also affects end-game play.

Dig down 3 blocks is an "appropriate amount of effort"?

So...we're facing zombie HORDES, not hoards. Unless you count the soon-to-be-diminished amount of zombie loot AFTER the bloodmoon, which could, I guess, be considered a "hoard" of sorts.

People have been using the term "Zombie Hoard"? I figured I would have noticed that because it drives me crazy too.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaaaaaaaah! Enough is enough! Stop arguing about "building underground is cheating", "building too high is cheating", "having too many defenses is cheating", "building a big secure base is cheating".... Pages and pages of posts telling other people how they should play.

I just don't get it, play how you want and let others plays theirs. Why push your way as "the" way, when you can play ALL ways?

OK, so am I supposed to just stand in the middle of a field in my birthday suit and fight them with my bare hands? Will you be happy then?

The whole point is that you can play however YOU want. Stop trying to push YOUR ideas of how YOU think other people should play. You see, that's the beauty of this game, you can play it how you want. So you can go and do that, whatever it is that you deem to be the "right" way to play and I'll go and have a blast building my big "cheat" compound base. :smile-new:

OK. I "WANT" to play a game with no safe areas.

I plan on playing A17E, and if it's not as polished as A17 release version and I find ONE SINGLE BUG, MY LIFE IS OVERRRRRRRRRRRR j/k I will report it if needed! :D

Amen to that. This will probably be my first game to report bugs during A17E because I love the game so much. And as for starting over or whatever because of a bug, eh, oh well. Not like it's the first time I've had to start over a game.

As for the whole underground/surface/etc of where bases go for challenges, whatever. It's TFP's game, let them make it to their dream, it is their baby after all. If you want other kinds of changes, I'm 100% sure you will find a mod to change it to whatever playstyle you guys want. Especially once A17 comes out with this overhaul and of course once it goes gold in the future.

As for the whole underground/surface/etc of where bases go for challenges, whatever. It's TFP's game, let them make it to their dream, it is their baby after all. If you want other kinds of changes, I'm 100% sure you will find a mod to change it to whatever playstyle you guys want. Especially once A17 comes out with this overhaul and of course once it goes gold in the future.

This. The sad thing about this is I have seen the same rationalization over and over and over again, just slightly different words being used yet ANOTHER argument arises that provokes someone to give this same speach again.

There is hope... another small dose of A17 will brighten things up again. Screenshots, Roland? Video, MadMole? New insight, faatal? I think people need another hit of A17 to take the edge off!

Too whome it kood konsurn, arr yoo shur? Aint it Zomby Hoard?

Amen to that. This will probably be my first game to report bugs during A17E because I love the game so much. And as for starting over or whatever because of a bug, eh, oh well. Not like it's the first time I've had to start over a game.

The game is very moddable, in fact I'm going to release my mod for making all non-zombie animals into friends, especially my wolf brothers and sisters, so you can all fight against the zombie hordes together. I've done this with A16 already and could release it now but would rather just wait for A17.

I know I just made a joke about it, but in all seriousness, expect bugs in A17E, is of course what you have to do. If you expect to be able to play the game, or accidentally end up expecting that so you get frustrated, then you're not playing A17E correctly. "Let's see how far I can get, and see which things are working currently and which things are broken and need reporting," is how you should approach it.

The game is very moddable, in fact I'm going to release my mod for making all non-zombie animals into friends, especially my wolf brothers and sisters, so you can all fight against the zombie hordes together. I've done this with A16 already and could release it now but would rather just wait for A17.

I know I just made a joke about it, but in all seriousness, expect bugs in A17E, is of course what you have to do. If you expect to be able to play the game, or accidentally end up expecting that so you get frustrated, then you're not playing A17E correctly. "Let's see how far I can get, and see which things are working currently and which things are broken and need reporting," is how you should approach it.

Wait wait, what? wolf friends? please oh please tell me how you did that, lol. Have it down to where you can have 1 follow you and help and all? maybe even heal him up by giving him food? I will definitely be looking for that mod A17, you can bet on it. Basically sounds like TFP's whole wolf pet talked about in early for A17.

Archived