Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Regarding zombie loot:

Change is hard. Adaptation is fun.

I thought the same thing y’all did when I first heard the news. But having tried it out it has its plusses as well. Net is positive for me.

Good for you but some of us aren’t going to like that so well or adjust to it. I have played games that mobs gave no loot. It made me not want to fight stuff. I know for a fact that it will take out a huge part that is fun in the game for me.

Regarding zombie loot:

I thought the same thing y’all did when I first heard the news. But having tried it out it has its plusses as well. Net is positive for me.

I have no problem with the new loot system, I'm just worried about not getting bones.

bad...

So in no particular order:

Ugly

1. Dumbing down guns to a few fixed quality levels is awful, now once you have a top tier weapon you never need to strive for anything better whereas before you could hope to upgrade a 510 sniper to a 600 sniper over time, bad and simplistic change

2. Tying HP/health to hydration, simply a poorly thought out and bad design change that was totally unneeded

3. No (we saw no loot drop from maybe 25 kills) loot from zeds is an example of how little people like MM have a clue about their own game and how its played. Almost all of the stuff they drop has a use in the game and this will severely restrict the supply of certain items which will increase the grind and I am gonna make a prediction here, A17 is going to hugely increase the grind in the same way the last few Alphas have, at the expense of fun and gameplay.

4. Melee combat looked clunky as hell

5. You remapped use button so as to add in power attacks, ok I get it, but why the hell not keep the existing use button and just add the power attack to the OTHER button ? pointless and I hope to hell that stuff can be remapped

6. 2 Hours to clear a house he said, ok now its MM and he cant play for crap but even so lets say it takes 30 minutes, during which time you get zero loot from zombies which seem to spawn in very large numbers, all to get to, maybe, some loot crates at the end. Prediction, players are going to ignore these low reward high risk 'dungeons' and focus on the high loot stores so guess you just wasted a ton of dev time on a poorly thought out design decision..

7. Why in gods name cant we have a visual indicator that the zombie is dead? would that really be asking so much? I am pretty sure i can tell if something is dead or not

8. At this point, after over a year, you are worried about adding in a new graphic for a sideboard? like seriously no-one cares

9. Removal of visual numeric indicator for stamina and health is T E R R I B L E, what the hell are you thinking? this is the first thing people will mod back in because its beyond stupid

Good

1. Retrieving arrows, nicely done and arrow impacts and graphics look great

2. Damage indicators on the zombies when hit, eg, flesh being flayed off the side of the head, looks very good

3. New textures on the house, very nice, they look much better

4. Visual clue to state of loot container is nicely though out and shown

Time will tell

1. Backpack change, IF, and its a BIG IF, you dont need to be level 150/spend 2 weeks getting enough perks, to surpass the old capacity then this is an excellent change. IF however you are now going to spend MOST of the game gimped on capacity due to this change then yet again its just another nerf to add grind to the game, will have to see final implementation to judge

2. Did you change the runspeed? it looked like you did, if you slowed it down then I wish bad things for you

I know there is a lot more to show so will keep my powder dry but seriously, after over a year there needs to be a LOT more improvements than shown here and it best not be about adding more grind, games are supposed to be fun, remember?

@Roland I noticed the bug in MM video that I you don't completely clear a house of ALL Zeds, they completely respawn. while I look forward to the A17, I must admit this bug infuriates me. cuz at later stages you:

1. clear a house of almost all zombies, a cop comes at you, you both don't want to fight it close quarters, and when it blows it destroys poi

2. you leave and have it follow fight it and kill and/or blow it up

3. you return to the house 10 blocks away only to be restocked with zeds, and oh look, another cop zombie...

I shared a vid of this bug in A16 quite a while back and I would much rather have a chrome shotgun than this bug. Otherwise I'm as hype as I've ever been

Yea my biggest reason for killing zeds is getting loot. Not a fan of removing so much loot. Especially since half the cabinets seem to be the already looted version.

That's easily enough balanced by having more loot in the closed cupboards.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding zombie loot:

How is the lack of respawning brass handled? More brass in cupboards? I can see that getting tough on long term servers if there's no replacement.

Meh.... i was hyped for a17, but after the video - i think i will stay with a16 + starvation mod.

No loot from zombies, dumbed down qualities on the items, less clutter loot. meh. Not even an indicator if the zombie is really dead... if i wanted THAT kind of game, i would play a shooter, not a crafting game...

So in no particular order:

Ugly

1. Dumbing down guns to a few fixed quality levels is awful, now once you have a top tier weapon you never need to strive for anything better whereas before you could hope to upgrade a 510 sniper to a 600 sniper over time, bad and simplistic change

You bring up a very good point about the reduced levels of quality.

Regarding zombie loot:

i dont buy a cheese and ham sandwich, only for later you guys to remove the cheese and ham from your later sandwiches, expecting me to eat two slices of bread.

your right, change is hard. adaptation, IS indeed, fun. but this kind of change could likely drive away customers who come to your game for that looting itch. this has been in the game from alpha 1. the zombies have ALWAYS droped some kind of loot. your takeing away some of the meat of your game. perhaps its just the cheese. perhaps its the ham. but its still a part i, and obviously, many other who are concerned over, enjoyed.

BUT i will admit, we have only seen the gameplay of it. perhaps you are indeed right... but dont pass of criticism of the game when its perfectly valid.

It doesn’t for me as a huge reward for killing them is to get something useful. Otherwise might as well just run away.

I'm sure you'll just fire off another "good for you" in reply to this but I have always felt that in a survival game it really is dumb to give incentives to hunt and kill zombies. If running away is just as viable as attacking then the game is getting closer to the way it should be, imo.

Loot tables can be altered to provide more brass. There can be corpse loot boxes added if necessary that give bones and flesh. Changing it as they have has some real benefits that make up for the downsides which as I noted can be firmed up in other ways either by the devs or through modding.

Good for you but some of us aren’t going to like that so well or adjust to it. I have played games that mobs gave no loot. It made me not want to fight stuff. I know for a fact that it will take out a huge part that is fun in the game for me.

I love the "I haven't tried it but I know I won't like it" responses. The best.

i dont buy a cheese and ham sandwich, only for later you guys to remove the cheese and ham from your later sandwiches, expecting me to eat two slices of bread.

your right, change is hard. adaptation, IS indeed, fun. but this kind of change could likely drive away customers who come to your game for that looting itch. this has been in the game from alpha 1. the zombies have ALWAYS droped some kind of loot. your takeing away some of the meat of your game. perhaps its just the cheese. perhaps its the ham. but its still a part i, and obviously, many other who are concerned over, enjoyed.

BUT i will admit, we have only seen the gameplay of it. perhaps you are indeed right... but dont pass of criticism of the game when its perfectly valid.

I didn't pass it off. I gave my own experience based off of playing it. Passing off criticism would have been me deleting it so it was never seen. It is still all there for others to read and side with if they wish. You said yourself that you admit what you're going off of is gameplay you watched so maybe I might be right. But then you say I shouldn't have stated that in my experience it was a net positive change after playing it?

Seriously...I said that I felt the same way you guys have been expressing when I first heard about the change but then I played it and it turned out to be a net positive. Do you know what that means? It means that I acknowledge that there are negative aspects to it but on the whole I ended up liking it because the benefits were more appealing.

Finally, no ham or cheese has been taken away. Zombie still drop loot. Rarely. You will know exactly when it happens because there will be a loot bag left behind. You won't ever have to check a zombie body again only to see that it was empty.

I'm sure you'll just fire off another "good for you" in reply to this but I have always felt that in a survival game it really is dumb to give incentives to hunt and kill zombies. If running away is just as viable as attacking then the game is getting closer to the way it should be, imo.

Loot tables can be altered to provide more brass. There can be corpse loot boxes added if necessary that give bones and flesh. Changing it as they have has some real benefits that make up for the downsides which as I noted can be firmed up in other ways either by the devs or through modding.

When I think of a "real zombie apocalypse," I think about how I would avoid zombies if I could. I like that this is a viable thing for this game. [insert something about immersion]

I just can't believe you already went to "mod it." That's cold, man. That's cold. :p

- - - Updated - - -

What part of I have played games that do this says I haven’t tried it?

All games do it the same way? (Also, I used your quote because it was the easiest, but I tried to generalize it because plenty of others have had the same response without the qualifier.)

Sorry I didn’t realize this was a run from and ignore the zombies because they are not worth the effort kind of game.

Thanks for watching the video! There was just so much to talk about and not enough time to explain properly everything. Its like we switched to unity 2018 and kind of had some broken ass graphics so there was video blackout for a while. Things are starting to look presentable again so and a lot of systems have been coming online during the video blackout so now there is just like so much new stuff to cover, I crammed 2 months of videos into one, but things will be explained as time goes on.

Looks fun ! Keep on truckin' brother.

I didn't pass it off. I gave my own experience based off of playing it. Passing off criticism would have been me deleting it so it was never seen. It is still all there for others to read and side with if they wish. You said yourself that you admit what you're going off of is gameplay you watched so maybe I might be right. But then you say I shouldn't have stated that in my experience it was a net positive change after playing it?

Seriously...I said that I felt the same way you guys have been expressing when I first heard about the change but then I played it and it turned out to be a net positive. Do you know what that means? It means that I acknowledge that there are negative aspects to it but on the whole I ended up liking it because the benefits were more appealing.

Finally, no ham or cheese has been taken away. Zombie still drop loot. Rarely. You will know exactly when it happens because there will be a loot bag left behind. You won't ever have to check a zombie body again only to see that it was empty.

forgive my response if it came accross heavy handed. its just.... again, Alpha 1 bud. Alpha god dam one, they have always been dropping loot. get rid of gore blocks? fine. the mechanic was such a awsome idea but if it couldent be done, it cant be done. but getting rid of.... them just dropping random loot? it feels like such a massive part of the game.

ugh.... il keep schtum on this till it releases. get a feel for it and see if my worries are right. but right now, im putting money on the table. a fiver to say the player base drops a significant number with just this change alone. i wont mention review bombs because they did that last alpha and honestly, i thought 16 was great. :p

Archived