Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Let me see if I understand this. It is okay to run from zombies, as it is a survival game and the goal should be to live, not go and hunt zombies to kill them for their loot.[/Quote]

Yes. That is correct for people who feel that way. Not everyone feels that way.

Isn't that what those who have underground bases do? They have a place to go and be safe, to not place themselves in danger and be killed as they go out to fight on horde night, or any nighttime when the zombies are running?

That’s what people with topside bases and fortified POI’s do too. Running to your base wherever it is is always a viable option to standing and fighting zombies out in the open.

You can go out in the daytime and look for loot, food, water and other items needed and if you run into zombies fight and defend yourself, but to place your life in danger just to fight, kill and get loot isn't what you should do if you want to survive.

That is part of the rationale behind the change but it’s also for performance reasons and for solving the duping.

I have watched only half of the video, the motion of his movement has me feeling as if I was having another vertigo attack and I can't stand those. I felt like I was getting sick from all that twisting around. So, I have been watching for 15 minutes, quit, watch for a bit and then stop and will be heading back in a minute.

Me too. I’m surprised MM hasn’t asked for a button for instant 180’s....lol

Wow. People like to jump to conclusions.

1. Zombie loot isn't going away. Using their dead body as a loot container is. Also if they aren't going to drop loot, they don't drop a backpack. That's the change, not what you guys keep talking about.

So is the amount of loot you can get from zeds comparable to before the backpack? I really like the new system as it gets rid of heaps of duplication glitches, but it just looks like there is no loot now.

Any chance for boats in A18 or any future update.

Maybe have blocks that can be crafted which have a floating property

A18 should allow for floating vehicles once I finish the buoyancy code. A raft model was already made, so that should be the first boat.

@Faatal.....thank you for the zombie water interaction. At some point, when you have time, can you look at animals and water? Specifically dogs, wolves and bears. When they enter water, they sink to the bottom in full run animation but go nowhere and cannot get out. You can swim down to them & either shoot them from close up or beat them with a club. So if you are chased by these guys, go in the water and you’re perfectly safe plus get free & easy meat. Thanks in advance.

They should move like the zombies currently (walk on bottom). I will test.

Thanks faatal.

Any chance airdrop boxes might float in future alphas? Maybe a new water critter like a gator before the game goes gold? Water along the edge of the land might have a zombie but farther out there is nothing to have you checking your six.

Boxes - maybe.

Having animals float and maybe certain zombies would take care of having a surface threat.

He's right you know. TFP hasn't meaningfully listened to the playerbase about major issues in a long damn time. We're never consulted about major changes. Makes it hard to believe the folks making the design decisions play the game like the rest of us. Take a poll of the top 10 concerns or feature requests. Take the top 50. I guarantee you that "make zombies not drop loot" wouldn't even be in the top 100.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel highly confident that the answer to that question is "nobody". Though if the question were phrased properly, there's no dearth of "Yes men" ready to affirm any decision.

Its unfortunately true. I get the feeling that most people play strictly PVE, with no aspect of survival from competeing players, so the yes men will definitely follow. I will however miss the fat and bones, that was pretty much the only reason to carry a knife/machete for most of the pvpers, I mean aside from the fact to cover your trail of bodies for stealth purposes.

This is a case of "scales", I'll reserve my final judgment after I get some playtime on it, but currently, I'm abit miffed at the loot thing. And to the guy who said he won't miss the blueberry seed; boy I can't count the times my farms have been raided and I was thankful for that random corn seed or blueberry seed. -shrug- Different playstyles, and I tend to respect that, but harming one playstyle with no viable alternative for no reason is just senseless masochistic behaviour.

Seriously though, all things negative aside; I would quite like to see 7DTD be the end all to the current zed games. Definitely has the potential.

Stop freaking out people! Go work on something in your garage or play ♥♥♥♥ing golf. I have a few concerns but i'll hold by criticism until after i've actually played the new release. Just a complete waste of time to cry on forums after watching a video. I feel like i wasted mine just typing this short message.

On the niche side of things; how about the bones/fat deal. Saying animals just doesnt cut it on populated servers. You can play for 8hours and run across a handful of wildlife the entire time. Zeds are the most common way for that. And I mean; Duct tape; Need I say more? However, I will note that corn could realistically take the place of both those recipes if corpses can't be skinned anymore.

Stop freaking out people! Go work on something in your garage or play ♥♥♥♥ing golf. I have a few concerns but i'll hold by criticism until after i've actually played the new release. Just a complete waste of time to cry on forums after watching a video. I feel like i wasted mine just typing this short message.

its not a waste. letting the developers hear the clear worry there is for such things is important to the health of the game. belive me, its not just the developers who want this game to continue being successfull. its the people who have stood behind it for so long.

- - - Updated - - -

So it seems most of the objections to the changes seem to be a perception that they won’t work with PVP or 50 player servers.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

dont go making them observations, many is from the casual player. much like myself.

I don't handle loot balance so I cannot say what vanilla will have on release. Point was that the mechanic wasn't being removed, just the grind of searching 20 corpses when only 2 have loot.

Being able to just loot the few backpacks rather than having to look through them all will definitely be a lot better. If there was a looting system similar to animals to get bones and rotten flesh from the corpses it might help with getting those things.

1. Zombie loot isn't going away. Using their dead body as a loot container is. Also if they aren't going to drop loot, they don't drop a backpack. That's the change, not what you guys keep talking about.

2. Water doesn't control max health. Medical items and/or time are what will refill your max health. Water only controls the regen speed of stamina and health up to it's max.

3. Bow glitch, yeah, the whole thing was changed out and redone. Something was changed recently that caused it to come back and I have a ticket for it currently.

4. Food is easily tracked on the current UI. It is your max stamina.

Now chill out a bit everyone.

Hey Kinyajuu,

Thanks for the info. Question on the zombie loot. Is the drop rate going to be the same as it was before and only 2-3 out of 10 not dropping loot? Since we didn’t see any bags in MM video I am assuming that bag feature it not working at the moment. And that is leading to the confusion along with MM’s comments about loot from them.

after watching latest video i have a couple things to say... first of all, reusable arrows!!! thats awesome and im very excited for that one! Now i have kept my mouth shut on afew issues regarding a17 to wait for more info and now i feel like i have seen enough to be a critic. First of all, STOP removing features! One of my favourite parts of surviving horde night was looting bodies, and chopping up the gore blocks for bone, now we cant do either (how will be get all our bone now?) also on the whole wellness and hunger thirst system im still not sold on, to me guns and tools not having a quality is more simplifying the game to make it more mainstream.

i have zero issues with change (i welcome it as it gives me something new and cool to learn) but i still see no reason to remove the listed features and feel its a step back for the game, to me, a17 seems like 2 steps forward, and one step back, you guys are doing cool things in some areas, and odd and totally unnecessary in other areas, obviously this is my opinion and some people wont agree with me, but just how i feel so far. and thank god for mods to add all this back in for me :D

edit: read post above, i take back about corpse loot, rest still stands

"To be honest"

People use this all the time, but why? Does that mean that they're not usually honest so they have to write it on that rare occasion that they are? I just don't get it, and to be honest... See there, I did it too!!!

I hate that expression and don't use it. When someone says it, I tend to think they lie.

Thanks for watching the video! There was just so much to talk about and not enough time to explain properly everything. Its like we switched to unity 2018 and kind of had some broken ass graphics so there was video blackout for a while. Things are starting to look presentable again so and a lot of systems have been coming online during the video blackout so now there is just like so much new stuff to cover, I crammed 2 months of videos into one, but things will be explained as time goes on.

Thanks for the video! I was having withdrawals.

I love that the gore block glitch is gone, i always smacked them with an axe anyway before looting to save time from looting empties, but the lack if rotted meat and bones will be missed: glue, fertilizer.

No gore block also means my turrets will be more effective and waste less ammo when they start piling up.

Why such a fast respawn though, is it triggered when entering a poi? If so i see a massive xp grind exploit.

@faatal, a graphics issue on 2018 screams lwrp, if so, is the shader graph being used? The create normal node works good.

I would suggest a dissolve shader on zombies instead of just vanishing, just me tho.

i have zero issues with change (i welcome it as it gives me something new and cool to learn) but i still see no reason to remove the listed features and feel its a step back for the game, to me, a17 seems like 2 steps forward, and one step back, you guys are doing cool things in some areas, and odd and totally unnecessary in other areas, obviously this is my opinion and some people wont agree with me, but just how i feel so far. and thank god for mods to add all this back in for me :D

*looks at bolded words*

*looks at rest of post*

Riiiiiiiiight...

-----

To the rest complaining about not being consulted or MM and TFP being out of touch: You do realize that they are making the game that they want to make? That's what most successful creative people do. If you don't like their product, then I guess you get to look elsewhere for the product that you want. (Or as Roland says, Mod it.)

*basks in the fire of your return flames*

2. Water doesn't control max health. Medical items (note: not painkillers) and/or time are what will refill your max health. Water only controls the regen speed of stamina and health up to it's max. painkillers and non medical bandages refill your current health up to the current max.

3. Bow glitch, yeah, the whole thing was changed out and redone. Something was changed recently that caused it to come back and I have a ticket for it currently.

Now chill out a bit everyone.

ok, my take away, please correct where I am wrong

1. even tho they didnt always drop loot, it was used to make scavenging skill increase. Since I heard earlier that skills will now only increase through use, how big of an impact will this make on the skill?

2. then it is first aid bandage and health kits that will make it regen back to max not just current max? basically clearing the black.

3. good to hear. that for me was game breaking.

Why such a fast respawn though, is it triggered when entering a poi? If so i see a massive xp grind exploit.

Like I've said before, this stuff is not done. Experimental is experimental and has many bugs.

@faatal, a graphics issue on 2018 screams lwrp, if so, is the shader graph being used? The create normal node works good.

I would suggest a dissolve shader on zombies instead of just vanishing, just me tho.

Which graphic issue?

I'm happy gore blocks are gone. Cleaning up corpses is such a pain in the ass. I'm pretty sure they'd have us get bones and rotten meat. He did use a club to destroy the corpses. That's prolly the reason why he didn't get any. Try destroying corpses with clubs, fire axes or sledge hammers. I doubt you'll get anything.

Are we gonna get more bones and fat from animals to replace the gore blocks? What about scavenging xp. I like the new stuff but there seem to have been some oversights in the process of performance improvements.

I was wondering about this as well.

Archived