Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I confess I haven't been able to read much of the Dev Diary this week, but I doubt this has been asked...

Is the solution for overflowing texture atlases more of a 'band aid' fix, where the game will use just enough space to fit A17's content? Or is it a more robust, outside the box solution that actually makes the atlases a non-issue?

The plains and maple forest biomes were cut to save texture space, as I understand it. So I'm curious if the solution was even more cuts, or something that might actually allow those biomes to come back (at some point: not necessarily for A17.0).

From what I could tell from chatter it is a real solution that should give them space to grow. They temporarily imposed a halt on any new art being added while they sorted things out but they didn't make any cuts. Somebody with more technical knowledge than I would have to answer as to what it means for the future.

Unless....he happened to enter a water biome right at noon. Lots of chirping and bug noises near water 24/7

No. Usual gameplay, anywhere at map, exactly at 12:00 some night sounds are happening. Was detected multiple times by me.

Also, is there anything to be done with low-res versions of terrain being displayed even after terrain was changed? Have my base on place of cabin and part of near hills, and that cabin is always seen from further away despite it being totally grounded. Plus parts of hills still visible sometimes and they are NOT dissapearing when getting close, only when some block connected to them being shifted (hit, destroyed or placed).

A question! in the current alpha 16 build, when playing for so long and you are the host, i think its... 2 hours on the dot, the world becomes blanketed in a thick fog. you need to restart in order to dispell it. has this bug been fixed in alpha 17?

along with that, there is also a bug where, again, if your the host, the land will clip through the world (lets say you made a underground bunker. there would be thick green walls in it, not solid.) and only be refreshed when you hit a block in that specific chunk. (update the land so to speak) has this issue also been adressed?

Hi guys, It occurred to me when I was playing Skyrim re-mastered to take my mind off Alpha 17 hype, whatever happen to the Lock Picking feature mentioned some time ago? Cant wait for experimental , keep up the good work guys, much appreciated.

Oh, here I thought that was just a typo-type-thing. I've not noticed myself, except like Roland said if it decides you're in a water area(which sometimes works a little funny itself). But there's a reasonably obvious difference, so it must be a bug of some sort.

People have asked about updating the distant POI rendering but last I recall I think we're not expecting anything to change soon since it comes from the original layout of the map which never gets recalculated. It does the same thing if you were to remove a whole mountain too, doesn't it?

I don't know if there's been any news at all about the other "false terrain" bug.

A question! in the current alpha 16 build, when playing for so long and you are the host, i think its... 2 hours on the dot, the world becomes blanketed in a thick fog. you need to restart in order to dispell it.

Type "weather clouds 0" without the "" on the console (F1), no need to restart.

95% of the this forum:

Hey guys, bla,blabla.lol bla,blabla….

snip...

You found something intelligent to say???

Please take the rest of the day off. ;)

or

It could have been worse.

He might have said he was tired of waiting for A17 to drop and was quitting the game and the forum...

Sillllllllllls. Trix are for kids.

That's not really an issue with some good programming, all game engines have a limit it's just more obvious with some than others.

TFP have apparently put a system into A17 that solves that problem although I have no idea how far it can be pushed.

I've also solved that problem to create 1,000,000 km of wrappable terrain so I know from personal experience it's not insurmountable.

Can someone comment on this? will the next alpha allow for bigger procedual worlds?

I want to host a massive world with no limits, or as big as the engine would allow (in the case of Minecraft it's 30 million blocks)

So the server would get upgraded as needed, as players travel further from spawn and the world grows in size, I would try to get donations going to keep it hosted and invest my own money as well.

I just want a massive world, the current limit is tiny.

Archived