Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Can someone comment on this? will the next alpha allow for bigger procedual worlds?

I want to host a massive world with no limits, or as big as the engine would allow (in the case of Minecraft it's 30 million blocks)

So the server would get upgraded as needed, as players travel further from spawn and the world grows in size, I would try to get donations going to keep it hosted and invest my own money as well.

I just want a massive world, the current limit is tiny.

Alpha 17 has been reported (by developers) to allow for larger RWG worlds, but at the same time the default RWG world will be smaller than in Alpha 16. It will also completely be pre-generated before the world allows players in, so traveling around won't be causing any world generation lag any more.

Can someone comment on this? will the next alpha allow for bigger procedual worlds?

I want to host a massive world with no limits, or as big as the engine would allow (in the case of Minecraft it's 30 million blocks)

So the server would get upgraded as needed, as players travel further from spawn and the world grows in size, I would try to get donations going to keep it hosted and invest my own money as well.

I just want a massive world, the current limit is tiny.

I'm not sure how big "massive" is for you specifically. But as far as I have understood it from Kin, you will be able to extend the RWG map size in A17 through xml easily. The 8k is just default, and set as a baseline by him to test the stability...

But I really dont think you will be able to do 30mill blocks. At least not yet.

The old 10k map was way bigger than I ever needed. I've never explored the entire map. Not even half.

So 8k is gonna be more than enough I think.

Ofcause, if you want to do one of those "run for ever" servers, where people just build and build. Theres also the issue of performance, when you go over 8 consecutive players.

I think this kind of server, will have to wait until gold. But I hope I'm wrong ofcause :)

Texan*

I miss my home state.

And yes, there are some parts that still look like that, or would look like that to someone from a more urban, metropolitan area.

Oh crap! Sorry bout that... Not native in English (stupid google not correcting me properly).

Really?!? I was just kidding man... But hey! There are all different areas everywhere... Doesn't reflect on that stat as a whole.

(I got out of that one ok? Yeah... yeah... should do) ;)

I'm not sure how big "massive" is for you specifically. But as far as I have understood it from Kin, you will be able to extend the RWG map size in A17 through xml easily. The 8k is just default, and set as a baseline by him to test the stability...

But I really dont think you will be able to do 30mill blocks. At least not yet.

The old 10k map was way bigger than I ever needed. I've never explored the entire map. Not even half.

So 8k is gonna be more than enough I think.

Ofcause, if you want to do one of those "run for ever" servers, where people just build and build. Theres also the issue of performance, when you go over 8 consecutive players.

I think this kind of server, will have to wait until gold. But I hope I'm wrong ofcause :)

I've played on a 32 slot server which used to be pretty full and at some poing 10k was starting to become small and too crowded. I dont remember any lag.

- - - Updated - - -

Alpha 17 has been reported (by developers) to allow for larger RWG worlds, but at the same time the default RWG world will be smaller than in Alpha 16. It will also completely be pre-generated before the world allows players in, so traveling around won't be causing any world generation lag any more.

Really? that doesnt sound good. Think about it: How are we going to have bigger worlds if it has to be loaded at once? it would take ages everytime you open the game, correct me if im wrong.

I don't think it's the way to go. Generate-as-you-travel makes more sense if we want to achieve massive worlds eventually. Also if newer versions have new biomes you would miss these generating on unexplored areas.

I figure with all the nonsense random talk I could add some nonsense random music to the conversation lol. Seriously fun pimps,Let us add music we create to our servers please!I can do it in Arma 3 but not sure about 7dtd.

Its not slipknot, but hey.. I'm down. This is right up there on my list. I'm sure radios or music players will be added at some point. My gamer friends have all asked about this as well.

Its not slipknot, but hey.. I'm down. This is right up there on my list. I'm sure radios or music players will be added at some point. My gamer friends have all asked about this as well.

I love slipknot but I just do what i do. I want 7dtd to let us have the freedom with audio on servers. It would be awesome!

Oh crap! Sorry bout that... Not native in English (stupid google not correcting me properly).

Really?!? I was just kidding man... But hey! There are all different areas everywhere... Doesn't reflect on that stat as a whole.

(I got out of that one ok? Yeah... yeah... should do) ;)

It's all good, brutha! ^_^

I've played on a 32 slot server which used to be pretty full and at some poing 10k was starting to become small and too crowded. I dont remember any lag.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? that doesnt sound good. Think about it: How are we going to have bigger worlds if it has to be loaded at once? it would take ages everytime you open the game, correct me if im wrong.

I don't think it's the way to go. Generate-as-you-travel makes more sense if we want to achieve massive worlds eventually. Also if newer versions have new biomes you would miss these generating on unexplored areas.

It is pre-GENERATED not pre-loaded.

this is a mutant , this game is a zombie game get out of here.

There is also a radiation ring around the story map, thus proving mutants could be a thing. It'd add more variation to the game at least insted of the same 8 carbon cloned zombies or so coming after you.

I'm very very beginner level when it comes to modding so your questions are a bit beyond my knowledge. A quest will hijack a POI and populate it with a boss and whatever zombies are pertinent to that quest. I believe that this is something that will be able to be modified via xmls but I'm not completely sure.

Auto doors most likely won't be in A17 but will hopefully be in A18. Prime said he MIGHT be able to get enough of the hooks for it added in that modders would be able to do it during A17 but he wouldn't make promises. His main priority for A17 is quests.

AOE properties is something I'm not familiar enough with to be able to comment. Sorry. AOE is just an acronym to me. Can I even say "AOE properties"? Sounded good but I have no idea...

No sword or katana or spear weapons that I could find in A17. Sorry. Those are not secret features. They just don't exist. I suppose it is going to be machete and Sillls shovel-tech for the foreseeable future....

I hope the shovel has mods to make it a more effective weapon. Maybe in exchage for upping entity damage it sacrifices block damage depending on mods you put in. for example adding nails or spikes to the shovelhead, would help killing zombies, but really would damper digging with it.

A17 noise was changed quite a bit:

Changed: Player noise adds sorted/weighted volume levels instead of range/clamp

Changed: Increased gun firing volume levels. Decreased overall levels

Fixed: Player stealth Tick was running at the frame rate (times decreased too fast)

Changed: Made AI SetNearestEntityAsTarget target/cancel if loud sound nearer that what is seen

and probably a few other changes.

Please tell me they stoped zombies in poi's screeching like mad once you wake them up, its one of the things I dislike the most. Itd be best if they only screech and such when they actually SEE you, insted of when they hear you from 2 floors away. This is also a bigger issue as the zombies are supposed to stop looking for you after a while and quiet back down, but in A16 this seems broke, as they seem to get locked into banging on a block or even the air in front of them till they see you or you kill them. I could be wrong though, I just remember in A15 they'd lose interest and quiet back down after a short time.

Directional audio would also be a blessing, Can often never tell what direction they are coming from as the game seems to lack positional audio.

I know I am probably asking for too much but will trains or at least rail carts ever make it into the game or atleast dlc? :jaded:

I'm curious. Why do you want this?

Pure atmosphere? Or to drive?

Kinda restrictive compared to the jeep! It should go everywhere. :)

I'm curious. Why do you want this?

Pure atmosphere? Or to drive?

Kinda restrictive compared to the jeep! It should go everywhere. :)

I think Metro Exodus has the player on a train with some NPC's, basically a mobile fort for at least part of the game. Not a free flowing game like 7D2D but it works for the linear type quest/FPS games.

Archived