Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

To tag onto that, I believe each time you switch versions it's a full wipe, AND will kill your data usage, if you have an ISP that meters that.

That needs to happen.

I mean people have already done things like building Starcraft bunkers and making Goldshire (from WoW), and so on. So why not something like Manhattan.

Starvation Mod has firemen! :D It would be so cool if TFPs absorbed all the mod makers.. :D

If anybody is watching the Steam Info Database page for 7 Days, there's an uptick in activity. They were releasing a new update every... oh few days to a week. Now they're releasing daily or faster updates. Usually in the morning, testing the next build iteration. So We're getting closer as they get closer to A17 release.

[Hype Intensifies!]

I've been watching for a month or two now, since I found it in this thread a while back. Didn't know there was such a thing. And the updates were fairly slow, but it kind of gave me a little bit of an idea. Now the updates come daily at the least. Last update was 15 hours ago.

Since they're not doing feature builds, they're now testing and bug fixing. Each new iteration is more polished than the last and has had more bugs patched. But gotta look for new ones that crop up. Last rounds of implementation are going in now. Much more rapid testing. I guess, they test first thing, find bugs, send for fixing, and then afternoon and evening are spent patching, and the code build compiles overnight and gets uploaded for them to test, and the cycle repeats.

That's my take-away from it. It's a good sign that the team is now churning hard for the Experimental now.

Any of the Devs or Mods wish to weigh in?

The Database entry for 7 Days

I've been watching for a month or two now, since I found it in this thread a while back. Didn't know there was such a thing. And the updates were fairly slow, but it kind of gave me a little bit of an idea. Now the updates come daily at the least. Last update was 15 hours ago.

Since they're not doing feature builds, they're now testing and bug fixing. Each new iteration is more polished than the last and has had more bugs patched. But gotta look for new ones that crop up. Last rounds of implementation are going in now. Much more rapid testing. I guess, they test first thing, find bugs, send for fixing, and then afternoon and evening are spent patching, and the code build compiles overnight and gets uploaded for them to test, and the cycle repeats.

That's my take-away from it. It's a good sign that the team is now churning hard for the Experimental now.

So you need to montor the steam database for a month to see that each day A17 is getting closer? Nice work, detective :)

This is typically how the pattern progresses before each release. Yes.

You both should contact (PM) Roland or one of the other Moderators. Last I knew, you only needed like 5-10 post or something like that.

So even if I have nothing relevant to say, I have to make some posts to see pictures?

I've always tried to live by the "Blessed are those who have nothing to say, and cannot be persuaded to say it" motto.

trains would be a complicated thing to build in a survival setting so that would throw in kind of immersion breaking.

I built a hundred meter tall reinforced concrete tower with a 50 meter deep trench around it. What's this 'immersion' you speak of?

So you need to montor the steam database for a month to see that each day A17 is getting closer? Nice work, detective :)

no need for that sir, it was my fault asking for an explanation :) I mean, it's obvious they are working on it - I just wanted to understand why more frequent builds in the end of the cycle.

here goes more :) :)

So you need to monitor the steam database for a month to see that each day A17 is getting closer? Nice work, detective :)

Less detective and more obsessive. Just posting my thoughts and conclusions based on this piece of information since it seemed to be in doubt.

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to help, and be useful, even if it's only in a minor fashion. Better than nothing.

Question for Dev, I am just wondering (and I am not very expert so I cannot check it myself), but do you use SQLite or something like that to store each tile information or are you using any other optimized way. I want to learn how we can manage that much data in best way possible.

This is typically how the pattern progresses before each release. Yes.

Looks like they are now working weekends! They have activated protocol: "Heroic Mode Overdrive".

In these final hours, they fight the dark powers of Boss computer bugs!

You can see the forum users in the train, hoping TFP's will save them!

Question for Dev, I am just wondering (and I am not very expert so I cannot check it myself), but do you use SQLite or something like that to store each tile information or are you using any other optimized way. I want to learn how we can manage that much data in best way possible.

Don't store data you don't need to store, only store the changes. If the world is procedurally generated there's no need to store everything at generation, it would quickly become unmanagable.

It's a bit early in the morning here for a discussion on various data storage and retrieval techniques, give me a couple of hours, if nobody else has replied by then PM me and I'll run you through some different ways to do it.

Here is an older analysis of the region and chunk dimensions.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?6922-Regions-Chunks-and-a-Map-Mod

The game stores the voxel data in the region files (7rg) in your save folder to save its state (updated when changes occur)

or sends changes in chunks over the network in a multiplayer setting.

Looks like all regions that are visible (relevant) for a client are loaded into memory, containing all the chunks (voxel data) -> from wich the local game data can be generated (3D meshes of blocks, collision data, etc).

So querying them is then done in memory.

If the player moves further than the regions represent the game-map, new regions are generated.

Too far regions (and their chunks) are probably unloaded from memory, as they are not needed currently.

very close but if you go all the way back to when a17 entered the steam DB, we have had several occasions where we sometimes had 3-4 builds in one day. that, way back then wouldnt have meant it was ready for release :) it was maybe something broke the build or a very particular issue was being addressed and involved several different methods to fix. (you know.. like... "crap" happens type of moment)

another bit of info ... the compiles are not an over night process, fastest i have seen is 1/2 hr to 1 hr and longest... lol well we wont go there. :)

testing begins on day one by testers and devs :) and still going on.

TFP team are humans... yep believe it or not and they do take weekends off for family or personal things they want to do.. like birthdays, weddings, funerals, picnics, hiking, swimming and so on. oh and some take vacations and some even get sick and have to take off.

so you are not far off on your guess-ti-mations, i thought i would share a little insight as well. and i didnt reveal anything secretive :)

however... this is the link i use to see the progress when i get up in the morning (i do not leave steam running all night).

https://steamdb.info/app/251570/history/

hope this helps

@UnholyJoe - Of course people have ot take those things into account. I wasn't sure how long it takes to compile given the size of the game, and of course beginning cycles are going to have faster updates. , but this isn't the beginning of the dev cycle for A17. It's toward the end of it. didn't think that needed to be stated. :)

I'm just excited and watching very closely, or as close as I can.

Archived