Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

THE MOST AMAZING IDEA I HAVE THOUGHT UP! (in the last 5 minutes)

To allow for extended play, keep the game a challenge and to adjust to a different character build, hows this for an A17.4 change:

Once the player is level 200, they can swap out undesired perks using the surplus experience they have! Each subsequent perk swap-out requires 10% more experience.

This way your character is never at a dead end, but you still must make tough choices.

I had a similar idea to solve the same problem. The idea is that at the higher levels, on a levelup, a random perk will be sold for perk points.

Is it worth it to start a new game in Starvation Mod? Or should I just wait until A17-E releases?

cheers

Of course it does worth it. It is experience, the more the betteer. Get used to be killed ot get better, practicing. :)

And welcome to the forums !

I've literally checked this page every day since the beginning of July. I've never been this excited for a game update in my life lol. I want them to take as long as they need to & make this update just mind blowingly amazing.

Same to me!!! I lost some weight too in these weeks XDD

Question about AI coming in A17. If this is my base set up will a 7th day horde path to the corridors if they are coming from a Northwest or Southeast direction or will they try to go through the angled walls? (assuming all blocks are made of the same material and I'm standing at the X position).

Same question for wandering hordes. Will they bump into the walls and just try to bash their way through as they currently do in A16.4?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24914[/ATTACH]

Depends. Zombies near a player (on a player's path grid) will always go through empty blocks if the path is not too long. It is the total cost (health + downgrade's health) of the blocks plus the distance. Basic math. Air blocks have 0 heath, but they do have a distance cost.

Zombies far from players will go in straight lines, but usually they despawn. Hordes could have problems, but that is a different can of worms.

Quest Requirements

If there are (or someday) skill requirements for certain quests and specialization is the goal, won't there be conflicts? It would be cool in multi-player mode because you would have to group up with people with different t skill sets for the phat loot. It may be a problem in single player though. A17 is going to be real sweet.

Is it worth it to start a new game in Starvation Mod? Or should I just wait until A17-E releases?

cheers

Well A17-E is experimental... Not really for long term big base builds. Expect a lot of either forced or highly suggested wipes/restarts. I would personally just start up the mod, get a feel for it and understanding of it.. when A17-E does drop, do what you do on it but i'd highly recommend not to dedicate too much time in a build on experimental

Did that with Ravenholdt & WoTW. with BFA dropping and the new league for Path of Exiles *AND* A17 coming out, i haven't dedicated a huge build to any mod just getting a feel for the ones i enjoy the most.

There's so many amazing mods out there, so hard to choose! Also why I can wait for A17

Depends. Zombies near a player (on a player's path grid) will always go through empty blocks if the path is not too long. It is the total cost (health + downgrade's health) of the blocks plus the distance. Basic math. Air blocks have 0 heath, but they do have a distance cost.

Zombies far from players will go in straight lines, but usually they despawn. Hordes could have problems, but that is a different can of worms.

...and this is why, kids, the floors are made of spikes. The hallway's empty, come on through...

That is of course a matter of taste but if you watch the original Benny Hill chases you can see that he tended to use a lot of static backgrounds to give the impression that the rest of the world was proceeding normally while only the people were behaving oddly.

Okay, yeah, I didn't realize Benny Hill had a particular animation style. I had only listened to the music and independently came up with the idea that it would go well with something sped up. I wasn't trying to emulate the animation style

To view the vision I had before of Benny Hill set to the Apocalypse:

1. go to this link

2. go to exactly 14:01 on the video
  3. change the speed to 2 under the settings tab
  4. mute the video
  5. go to this link in a separate tab

6. press play on both videos as simultaneously as possible
  7. enjoy

Repair spikes or repair walls, it's all the same - as in rather tedious. I'd like to design something that directs the AI to traps and funnels them to where I'm at to shoot them. I'm hoping the new AI allows wandering hordes to just go around things if you are not sensed and allows 7th day hordes to path logically to you instead of trying to destroy random objects.

Placed steel logs around my base somewhere at 15 day. First big repair was at day 56. 10k durability is not a joke. Also because of reasons hordes are barely attacking my walls at all, usually they slide to one side on top of logs until they dying.

I used to use a fairly complicated 2 level maze for horde nights where we'd spawn in the middle, and the pathing was pretty damn good... can't wait to see how that works out in a17. =)

I used to use a fairly complicated 2 level maze for horde nights where we'd spawn in the middle, and the pathing was pretty damn good... can't wait to see how that works out in a17. =)

They are wizards at mazes. The pathing gives them the optimal path so they don't go down a fork that leads to a dead end unless going that way and breaking the blocks at the end of it result in a lower cost than going around the long way. But they don't get lost if they are feral. If they aren't feral they will return to wandering mode and get lost but as long as they know where you are they will find a path to you.

Roland can we have the progress health bar back please

No. I altered the message above to be the same as the one of the first page. Hopefully that will calm those who see the catch phrase as being unprofessional or insulting. Now it plainly says the exact truth. Thanks to Crater Creator for the suggestion.

No. I altered the message above to be the same as the one of the first page. Hopefully that will calm those who see the catch phrase as being unprofessional or insulting. Now it plainly says the exact truth. Thanks to Crater Creator for the suggestion.

Well, it's not nearly as catchy...

Any news on how many bugs are left? Been really quite around here

Judging from the last time I heard the phrase showstopping bugs, I'd say at least another solid month.

But to be honest, who knows.

They fix one issue, but that might cause something else to not function as planed.

That being said, I can totally recommend the Ravenhearst mod for 7D2D :)

A17-E will be released as soon as the issues are solved and the showstopping bugs fixed.

So is it true that Unity3D 2018.2 has a ton of bugs that they're still working on fixing? That even though there are a lot of major improvements, the upgrade created lots of bugs in the process spanning several different areas of the engine? Is the main holdup at this point waiting on the Unity3D devs to fix those bugs?

I've been hearing reports of bugs from other gave devs who upgraded to 2018.2.

So is it true that Unity3D 2018.2 has a ton of bugs that they're still working on fixing? That even though there are a lot of major improvements, the upgrade created lots of bugs in the process spanning several different areas of the engine? Is the main holdup at this point waiting on the Unity3D devs to fix those bugs?

I've been hearing reports of bugs from other gave devs who upgraded to 2018.2.

I'm sure that a lot of the bugs that are being reported aren't necessarily unity bugs. They've made huge changes to core components, such as the rendering engine, and this has caused major bugs in peoples projects. I'm certain there are a lot of shader writers who are cursing the new shadergraph visual scripting.

I haven't noticed any bugs creeping into the old components but I haven't messed with much but the job system and probuilder since the update. I had to rewrite all of my shaders and rebuild the materials but anything that was working before the update still seem to be working fine.

There may also be issues with the new "package manager" system, if people aren't running the same packages across the board I'm pretty sure it'll cause issues.

I've literally checked this page every day since the beginning of July. I've never been this excited for a game update in my life lol..

Same! I check Joel's Twitter and this topic every single day, it even turned as a kind of ritual lol

I want them to take as long as they need to .

Completely agree! "It's done when it's done" is a completely acceptable mantra. No need to hurry, afterall it is just a game (even tho it is an AMAZING one).

I'm sure that a lot of the bugs that are being reported aren't necessarily unity bugs. They've made huge changes to core components, such as the rendering engine, and this has caused major bugs in peoples projects. I'm certain there are a lot of shader writers who are cursing the new shadergraph visual scripting.

I haven't noticed any bugs creeping into the old components but I haven't messed with much but the job system and probuilder since the update. I had to rewrite all of my shaders and rebuild the materials but anything that was working before the update still seem to be working fine.

There may also be issues with the new "package manager" system, if people aren't running the same packages across the board I'm pretty sure it'll cause issues.

Interesting, thanks, yeah I'm curious as to if the delay at this point is on the Unity3D dev support side, or if it's on the Fun Pimp's side with re-writing some code to be compatible with the new version (I know them and you have already mentioned needing to do the shader rewrite), or both. 2018.2 has been out for a while now (since Feb I assume, lol) so if the holdup was bugs on the Unity3D dev support side, that's pretty crazy! Half a year to make 2018.2 stable, come on Unity3D devs, HURRY, lol! After some reports from a few places made it sound like Unity3D 2018.2 still has loads of bugs they haven't fixed yet, I became curious if that was actually true or not.

<snipped for space>

I just had a hunt through the unity bug tracker. As I suspected most of the bugs are related to the rendering overhaul.

There also seem to be a few bugs with instantiated colliders which could be game-breaking for a lot of people, possibly due to unity moving their own internal stuff over to the c# job system.

Archived