Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

NOTE: No release date will be estimated. There have been some unforeseen delays. It will be done when the issues are solved and the known bugs have been fixed.

Bro, I understand the trolls are frustrating.

The community needs you to understand you are feeding the trolls by being so cold-hearted about date estimations for release.

You are gona get these questions, regardless of what you say and more to the point, they gona do it more if you get upset about it.

If you dont want to do estimations for release dates thats FINE.

Prolly not the best idea to rant about it on the forums tho....

But certainly dont get grumpy on the forums for all the trolls to see cuz I bet you 100% they gona SpAm the hell out of you now that they know it gets a rise out of you.

Let the staff do it if they want.

Dont do it if you dont want.

Trolls gona troll.

I greatly apreciate all of everyones efforts in this game and cant wait to hear more news!

(Even if its bug fixes!!!)

Based on the fact that RWG now runs like Navezgane, completely pre-generated and then made 'stock' and you can easily edit in the editor... I think this might be fairly easy to do. Or it might be a nightmare. However, if it can work this way... omg the potential!

Also, how's Silvara doing? Is Porthos still a prick?

If I had a smartphone I'd totally do that. Would probably have to start off walking though.

Also, I haven't played Path of Exile in a while. I should get my storm witch out of mothballs.

I used to use the Zombies, Run! app all the time... Then my chiropractor cut me off from running because of my lower back issues. The app can still be used for walking. Just walk faster than your normal pace when the zombies are behind you lol. Would be soooo awesome if TFP and Zombies, Run! joined forces to encourage people to stay active and play a bad ass game.

The community needs you to understand you are feeding the trolls by being so cold-hearted about date estimations for release.

You are gona get these questions, regardless of what you say and more to the point, they gona do it more if you get upset about it.

But certainly dont get grumpy on the forums for all the trolls to see cuz I bet you 100% they gona SpAm the hell out of you now that they know it gets a rise out of you.

Trolls gona troll.

I greatly apreciate all of everyones efforts in this game and cant wait to hear more news!

I have bolded all of the troll-like comments you made in your "advice" about avoiding trolls. Cold-harted, upset, grumpy? I did not see any of that in what he said. I highly doubt madmole was upset or grumpy and I didn't feel what he said was cold-harted at all. A little matter-of-fact which is completely acceptable.

This was a troll post all the way while trying to sound anti-troll.... and I took the bait. Guess I'm just that bored right now.

Thank you Trolland but this:
is better. lol

Overused, you mean...

Life was so much better when the url contained the name of what is on the linked page. Now I have to click it even though I'm certain what it will be. Roland, heft that ban hammer a little more, why don't ya.

Maharin's link is gold.

Hey Skippy,

No disrespect meant. I know not everyone reads every single post as they try to catch up on all the posts so I will break it down for you and everyone else who are wondering what happened.

In June Madmole said in a video that he was hopeful that they would be done with A17 by the end of July. He admitted that it was a guess but that it was his estimate on what he felt would be possible.

In early July the team made the choice to upgrade to Unity 2018.2 because at first glance it appeared that it would have some solid performance benefits and no major inconsistencies from the previous version. It was a risk but one they felt was worth it for the benefits. They were right about the benefits but they were wrong about inconsistencies. It turned out their shaders became incompatible and needed to be redone. This caused a delay much longer than they anticipated.

Towards the end of July, as people were submitting bug fixes and uploading new art assets from their local builds to the shared build the magnitude of new art assets overwhelmed the atlases that they use. This has caused another unforeseen delay as they have had to find an alternative solution to be able to include all the new art in the game. They have found a solution and are doing that conversion. The bad news is the delay it caused but the good news is that all the new content that will be included in A17 is awesome and will be able to be supported.

At the end of July when I knew that Madmole's guess was going to be wrong I changed the date to August which caused an eruption from a segment of the community who thought that "hope" and "guess" and "estimate" really meant "promise" and "vow" and "set in stone". Then when August 1st came and all the "It's August where is it?" posts started appearing I changed it to "August or....." so that people would know that even August was just an estimate. But people went ballistic and the dev diary went off the rails. I had to move over 150 posts out of this thread all because some people couldn't understand the difference between "Maybe" and "Definitely".

That is how "It's done when its done" came about. I realized that the immature segment would never understand the concept of "estimate" and if they were going to be mad no matter what then I didn't want to have to deal with constantly updating the date. I added the smilie because someone thought the phrase sounded petulant and passive aggressive and smilies always make forum posts better. Right?

But now....lol....we have people trying to assign special meaning to the smilie...

It will be done just as soon as the unforeseen issues are handled and the known bugs that are considered show-stoppers are squished. There aren't going to be any more Unity updates before A17 and they know the full extent of the massive amount of new content and have a framework that can support it all. They are not holding out on us and stringing us along. They will get it into our hands at the soonest possible moment they can.

Clearly they need the power of Flex Tape.

Roland can correct me if I am wrong but I think he's the one that edited the post and wrote that.

Yep. That was me. And if you thought that was angry and cold you shoulda read the first 15 drafts I re-edited to make it kosher for the minds before I hit submit...lol

Crater thought it sounded so good he asked me to change the one up above to match.

Wait.....did I not use smilies on the OP? No wonder it sounds so mean....

Hey Skippy,

In June Madmole said in a video that he was hopeful that they would be done with A17 by the end of July. He admitted that it was a guess but that it was his estimate on what he felt would be possible.

At the end of July when I knew that Madmole's guess was going to be wrong I changed the date to August which caused an eruption from a segment of the community who thought that "hope" and "guess" and "estimate" really meant "promise" and "vow" and "set in stone". Then when August 1st came and all the "It's August where is it?" posts started appearing I changed it to "August or....." so that people would know that even August was just an estimate. But people went ballistic and the dev diary went off the rails. I had to move over 150 posts out of this thread all because some people couldn't understand the difference between "Maybe" and "Definitely".

But now....lol....we have people trying to assign special meaning to the smilie...

It will be done just as soon as the unforeseen issues are handled and the known bugs that are considered show-stoppers are squished. There aren't going to be any more Unity updates before A17 and they know the full extent of the massive amount of new content and have a framework that can support it all. They are not holding out on us and stringing us along. They will get it into our hands at the soonest possible moment they can.

Been getting a bit impatient for A17. Logged into the forum to see what info I could find out.

This post was exactly what I was looking for. I just wish more people gave Devs the break they deserve on timelines.

It isn't like you guys said "our goal is July", then we never heard anything from you for all of June/July, and no release. That's shady. But with constant blog posts and other updates, getting mad over changing dates is nothing short of childish petulence. My only guess is that some people's parents did a pretty poor job on the raising end of things - and didn't teach them patience & respect.

I've got my fingers crossed for August. If it doesn't make it by then, well, oh well. I'll be more impatient, but you won't hear me complain either. Gotten MORE than enough value outta this game already.

hey Roland, I've got an idea for NPCs in A18. What if a player had some kind of reputation? They would be able to raise it by killing bandits, trading with White River and completing their quests. If player kill survivors, reputation would drop. when it decreases to some level (for example -20), bandits become passive to player and he/she can trade with them and complete their quests (drops reputation even more), whereas White River becomes aggressive to player. I thought it would be cool if you could chose which fraction you want to help.

Yeesh! Hot button issues. I am HAPPY to wait for a game that is not being cranked out and monetized via micro-transactions and paywalls by an investment company.

I can tell you what I have LOST patience for though is my beloved computer game industry getting sick and bloated from these investment firms trying to drill down the perfect formula that they can take and throw at impatient children with trust funds and "casual" gamers alike. TFP are not an investment company working on timelines for profits. Though they and some of you will laugh, but this is an art. Everything thus and so. If you only go into this world to make MONEY and damn the quality of the product with your name on it. You will only find yourself in a world where you have even MORE money with which to buy OTHER people's shoddy products. This, is not what I want.

I wholeheartedly defend TFP for ANY time that they feel they need. I will say this...entitlement is a disease. Paying for the EA experience is fine and on games like this, I second what COUNTLESS others have expressed here. I represent the crazy rational crew here on the forums. What it comes down to for me is this: I have a life. I don't pine away at night, lose sleep, fail to eat, and rock myself back and forth to sleep waiting for the next Alpha. (Well, sometimes, when I hear that Roland developing a headache, but that is my prerogative after all ;) ) So as I was saying, I have a life...real world ♥♥♥♥ I have to do, problems I have to deal with. REAL WORLD problems that turn the volume down on not having the newest Alpha in my hands. To those that feel an entitlement of "now"...I feel sorry for your generation and its entire egocentric culture. I am saying this with the most sincere tone I can muster...GET A LIFE and/or GROW UP. FULL STOP. If the things that truly piss you off is something like a release date, then you have already joined the walking dead. It is so painful to listen to these people badmouth a team that is working hard to give you entertainment. You don't even have to go get a job, or take responsibility for anything at all, because I would wager that actually doing the work (like making your own game) is not up your alley...you can play another game. Any other game you like...pass a few days, weeks months or whatever playing the ASS-TON of available games you likely have at your fingertips.

I shouldn't have to get pissed off about this ♥♥♥♥ because it makes me a hypocrite that something as stupid as crying about not having the Alpha is not something you should be devoting time to. But I DO find value in defending the devs whom I respect. So thats on me this time. Take your 1rst world problems and take a long look in the mirror and ask why you can possibly be upset when people are starving, dying from disease and on and on the list goes. I know that is an extreme comparison but I say that to make a point.

Its a game, it will be completed, its not life and death...what you are "owed" as it pertains to timelines on this Alpha, as a real world problem, ranks just below "Are we eating too much ranch dressing, as a people?". Getting mad about you crying is also way down there, but getting mad that some of you are disparaging those who are here to serve you, yeah that ranks a little higher to me on principal...check your morals people...check your priorities. If you want to complain about the release date and what you are "owed" Please...just...DON'T.

Don't attack those that are working for your pleasure, it is petty, and childish and getting REALLY long in the tooth IMO.

To TFP...keep trucking guys, I appreciate EVERYTHING you are doing for US.

beta

Been getting a bit impatient for A17. Logged into the forum to see what info I could find out.

This post was exactly what I was looking for. I just wish more people gave Devs the break they deserve on timelines.

It isn't like you guys said "our goal is July", then we never heard anything from you for all of June/July, and no release. That's shady. But with constant blog posts and other updates, getting mad over changing dates is nothing short of childish petulence. My only guess is that some people's parents did a pretty poor job on the raising end of things - and didn't teach them patience & respect.

I've got my fingers crossed for August. If it doesn't make it by then, well, oh well. I'll be more impatient, but you won't hear me complain either. Gotten MORE than enough value outta this game already.

I thought the point of Beta was to let me play and report bugs. not watch the so called progress of what I am supposed to be beta testing. question have they fixed the water problem of even considered it. this seems like the issues they should be working on and let me play and report issues. just think of how much more would get done if they listened to the players. to tell you the truth i haven't played in months. ready to move on and accept that i just gave my money away. thanks for nothing new and nothing new in the future. beta my ass they will fix what they want and release what they want.

I thought the point of Beta was to let me play and report bugs. not watch the so called progress of what I am supposed to be beta testing. question have they fixed the water problem of even considered it. this seems like the issues they should be working on and let me play and report issues. just think of how much more would get done if they listened to the players. to tell you the truth i haven't played in months. ready to move on and accept that i just gave my money away. thanks for nothing new and nothing new in the future. beta my ass they will fix what they want and release what they want.

*cough* Alpha...A17....we are NOT Beta testers...different function actually. In fact, you purchased in EA which is signing up for the "So called progress" That you are actually NOT supposed to be BETA testing...just in case you missed that point right there.

Trolls gona troll.

Rant? Hmm, I guess the message comes across differently for different nationalities...

MM just answered peoples angry stupidity... No rant in that at all! Just simple explanation...

Archived