Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

6 hours ago, Gamida said:

I recall those games. Not them being that deep but deep enough I know to get to bottom I would use over half my breath so knew I would die on way up.  In order to get a crate that deep I would dive down and place blocks on top of each other swimming up so fast as I could. Then after dying I would go down and continue where I left off until I got to top of water.

Then I would make ladders, dive down and start placing ladders on those blocks the same way I placed the blocks.

When that was done then I had a fast way down as you could climb down ladders way faster than you could swim down.

I liked challenges such as air drops at the bottom of a deep lake.
I once tunneled under the lake to get to the crate from below.

1 hour ago, Code6 said:

I liked challenges such as air drops at the bottom of a deep lake.
I once tunneled under the lake to get to the crate from below.

I've done that but wouldn't say that I like it.  😁

Besides, A21 drops aren't ever all that good, so not worth it.

I  can't believe that not a single person has expressed absolute OUTRAGE over the New Challenge System!  Is nobody quitting over being forced into this new play style that they have never tried and know know nothing about?  

I'm kind of excited to see the new challenge system having some extra stuff is nice I hope that they do add like some simple stuff like in Darkness Falls like go kill a bear and come back or like the old Quest where he had to kill say chickens or deer or male zombies

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

I've done that but wouldn't say that I like it.  😁

Besides, A21 drops aren't ever all that good, so not worth it.

On super rare occasions they'll be good. But otherwise.. they just kinda suck most of the time.

I will say though, they are super useful early game.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:51 AM, HeLLKnight said:

Omg in a CPU bound game like 7D2D, frame generation would be really good news! I thought FSR3 would not be possible with the Unity old render pipeline?

Lets hope blur and ghosting issues get resolved with FSR 3.1 announced one month ago: https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/amd-fsr-3-1-announced-at-gdc-2024-fsr-3-available-and-upcoming/ba-p/674027

This FSR 3 port to Unity I used is 3.0 and it does not have frame generation ported. It basically works, but there is blurring on certain types of renderer objects like particles using cutout. I may not have much time left to make changes to it, so it may be off in all the presets, but manually enabled using the AA setting.

On 4/24/2024 at 1:22 PM, bdubyah said:

A major update compared to...what? The current console version, or the current PC version? Obviously it will be quite a bit different than the current console version. And I'm sure even the PC version may get a few new POIs for 1.0. But at the end of the day it's still basically the same heightmap. Though the biome layout may be different as I know that changed...at some point. Don't remember which alpha it was. Haha.

I would think consoles will at least also get some Pregen maps, same as PC.

Nav gets occasional updates by Will to fix things or add POIs, so it will be somewhat different in 1.0.

We should have pregen maps on console and they will be made using the improved RWG.

7 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Like what snowdog said with the hours I've gotten they deserve alittle extra. 

Well, I did buy the 7D2D soundtrack on Steam (also) as a means of additional support.

I usually don't buy game soundtracks, but this time I made an exception.

6 hours ago, faatal said:

This FSR 3 port to Unity I used is 3.0 and it does not have frame generation ported. It basically works, but there is blurring on certain types of renderer objects like particles using cutout. I may not have much time left to make changes to it, so it may be off in all the presets, but manually enabled using the AA setting.

Are there any plans to add XeSS?

So Version 1.0?

This means there will be an early access game that tells customers it´s a finished game while it´s technically still in early access as we miss 2 big key features for a truly finished game. Bandits and story. And other stuff like Workshop support and PvP balancing.

Did the cry babies finally win? Do they get a meaningless tag on the game? Well they will switch from crying about early access to crying about how key features are not in a released version and that it takes too long to implement them as it´s now a released game and not EA anymore.

And what about all the stuff that was promised to come as soon as version 1.0 arrives? It´s not in.

Nothing changes with that besides the fact that new players wil think that the game isn´t finished yet despite beeing tagged as finished...

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 4/24/2024 at 10:48 AM, spud42 said:

i miss some of the old flooded basement poi's from the early alphas. rivers and lakefront/beaches need a bit of love. Pier poi? like santa monica pier? pontoon jetty for river? i dont know whats in navazgane caust i havent played it since alpha11... waiting for gold to play it...think i will wait another year to see the road map finished and see wether the bandits are a good idea or not.  someone said an indoor mall... heck yeah  Blues Brothers style! lol

Man I forgot all about those flooded basement poi's!! Yes Pimps, bring this back. 

Hopefully they are still working on the water physics too!

54 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

So Version 1.0?

Did the cry babies finally win? Do they get a meaningless tag on the game? Well they will switch from crying about early access to crying about how key features are not in a released version and that it takes too long to implement them as it´s now a released game and not EA anymore.

That's a given.

I think this all has more to do with the console version update than caving to crybabies.

Whatever it is labeled, there is more to come.

12 minutes ago, Laran Mithras said:

I think this all has more to do with the console version update than caving to crybabies.

It already was in early access on console before. It´s on gamepass already. Those can´t be the reasons.

This is what they say on their homepage:

"Our team feels satisfied with our efforts, especially with the significant overall progress, art quality and optimizations that have gone into the current release slated for all PC and Consoles and are ready for launch"

Why would they simply lie? Or not tell that it has to do with consoles? I mean why would you ask for new trouble and not tell that they are basically forced to do it, and then do it in a way that looks like you deceided on your own and you very well know  that it won´t be satisfying for a lot of people when you can simply tell it´s due to 3rd parties that you must do it?

Do they need a reason to slow down development so they can free up work force for their next title? Are there investors in sight that maybe don´t wanna invest in a company with 3 not finished products?

Very random and unimportant question: But have there been any changes to the creative menu? Like adding a quality selector, for instance.

Edit: Another question I have is about block health values. I've noticed a lot of blocks with weirdly high or low HP values proportional to what they are. For instance, cloth mattresses with more hp than cupboards and cabinets. Are these things on the radar? Just curious. Not an issue or anything, just sort of interested in the thoughts on it. This also includes stuff like the leather chests with really high hp.

Edited by User (see edit history)

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It already was in early access on console before. It´s on gamepass already. Those can´t be the reasons.

??? The telltale version was labeled as a full release version if I recall correctly, with one after-release patch promised. That is one of the reasons why the console launch seems a likely "culprit".  

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Why would they simply lie? Or not tell that it has to do with consoles? I mean why would you ask for new trouble and not tell that they are basically forced to do it, and then do it in a way that looks like you deceided on your own and you very well know  that it won´t be satisfying for a lot of people when you can simply tell it´s due to 3rd parties that you must do it?

Because you don't officially trumpet internals from confidential meetings with Sony and Microsoft where they tell you that you better have a release version ready or there could be consequences, wink wink natch natch. Ever heard of NDA's? Ever heard **any** games company telling details from their dealings with one of the console companies ? Most knowledge about console rules seem to be coming from the grapevines.

And maybe they even mean it,  it may be a secondary reason and the only one they can publish.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, User said:

Very random and unimportant question: But have there been any changes to the creative menu? Like adding a quality selector, for instance.

Edit: Another question I have is about block health values. I've noticed a lot of blocks with weirdly high or low HP values proportional to what they are. For instance, cloth mattresses with more hp than cupboards and cabinets. Are these things on the radar? Just curious. Not an issue or anything, just sort of interested in the thoughts on it. This also includes stuff like the leather chests with really high hp.

In your example, the mattress is composed of cloth, a needed material, so it has normal HP. The open cupboards are simply in the way. No one using them as a wood source. I never remove cupboards unless I am replacing them, so I think their low HP is a convenience, much like the damaged blocks, provided for those of us who want to do some remodeling. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddy said:

In your example, the mattress is composed of cloth, a needed material, so it has normal HP. The open cupboards are simply in the way. No one using them as a wood source. I never remove cupboards unless I am replacing them, so I think their low HP is a convenience, much like the damaged blocks, provided for those of us who want to do some remodeling. 

That makes sense, I just meant that as an example since its the first that came to mind. There are quite a few blocks with odd amounts of hp, though. Boards with more/the same hp than walls are some of the first others that I can think of, but there are examples of ones that are more disproportionate. Just interested to know if its on the radar for changes in the future. It's not really of major importance.

Edited by User (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

??? The telltale version was labeled as a full release version if I recall correctly, with one after-release patch promised. That is one of the reasons why the console launch seems a likely "culprit".  

Because you don't officially trumpet internals from confidential meetings with Sony and Microsoft where they tell you that you better have a release version ready or there could be consequences, wink wink natch natch. Ever heard of NDA's? Ever heard **any** games company telling details from their dealings with one of the console companies ? Most knowledge about console rules seem to be coming from the grapevines.

And maybe they even mean it,  it may be a secondary reason and the only one they can publish.

But then you don´t tell stories about how you feel that the game is now ready for release and make it sound like it is your own very good idea when we all know very well that they don´t feel that way. It´s obvious that there is something forcing them. You don´t need to break any NDA`s but you also don´t need to make up a story that is so thin that you can see trough even when nearly blind...

Something like "Due to legal reasons and financial decisions that we are not allowed to talk about in public, we have to choose this way for the game now"  Would do the trick.

The obvious not telling the full truth here is, what does cause trust issues. Pair that with things like "We only removed the spawn rate slider temporarily, it will be back soon" and things like the mod team telling us reasons for changes and when the actual team talks about it those reasons are totally other ones.

For me it´s clear. Never ever touch a TFP early access again. And that´s not it because it took 10 years.

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

But then you don´t tell stories about how you feel that the game is now ready for release and make it sound like it is your own very good idea when we all know very well that they don´t feel that way. It´s obvious that there is something forcing them. You don´t need to break any NDA`s but you also don´t need to make up a story that is so thin that you can see trough even when nearly blind...

Something like "Due to legal reasons and financial decisions that we are not allowed to talk about in public, we have to choose this way for the game now"  Would do the trick.

The obvious not telling the full truth here is, what does cause trust issues. Pair that with things like "We only removed the spawn rate slider temporarily, it will be back soon" and things like the mod team telling us reasons for changes and when the actual team talks about it those reasons are totally other ones.

For me it´s clear. Never ever touch a TFP early access again. And that´s not it because it took 10 years.

But why do they even owe you an explanation? You're not a shareholder, at best you're a beta-tester.

While I agree there's probably more to this decision than what they're saying, just accept what the Fun Pimps are willing to divulge and move on.

56 minutes ago, Professor-Pip said:

But why do they even owe you an explanation? You're not a shareholder, at best you're a beta-tester.

While I agree there's probably more to this decision than what they're saying, just accept what the Fun Pimps are willing to divulge and move on.

Then why do they give one that is obviously not the truth? I didn´t ask for one. They deceided they need to come up with a reason, not me or anyone else.  And if you are ok with companies not telling the truth and with you seemingly many others, then someone help us, we are deep in a dystopian capitalism future scenario.

16 hours ago, Dreyseth said:

I  can't believe that not a single person has expressed absolute OUTRAGE over the New Challenge System!  Is nobody quitting over being forced into this new play style that they have never tried and know know nothing about?  

New challenge system?

9 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

So Version 1.0?

This means there will be an early access game that tells customers it´s a finished game while it´s technically still in early access as we miss 2 big key features for a truly finished game. Bandits and story. And other stuff like Workshop support and PvP balancing.

And what about all the stuff that was promised to come as soon as version 1.0 arrives? It´s not in.

Nothing changes with that besides the fact that new players wil think that the game isn´t finished yet despite beeing tagged as finished...

Except TFP had already stated those features wouldn't be required for full release like 10 years ago...

image.png

10 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Except TFP had already stated those features wouldn't be required for full release like 10 years ago...

image.png

And the fact that it was stated multiple times by TFP that those things are planned during alpha don´t count? And that they told us multiple times that Workshop support and PvP Balance are planned for right after release. And now what? Maybe it comes a year after release. Maybe.

I always said take your time, don´t rush the game. But this move is riddiculous now, after telling the people for years that they will take all the time they need and mentioning more than once that bandits are planned before release and now they tell us they are happy with the state the game is in right now? Really?