Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

I haven’t noticed any difficulty seeing different colors of clothing and hair on the zombies. Not sure what the issue is. 

my issue is the lack of contrast in lighting between light and dark. I put my brightness down to 10% and can still see perfectly fine at night and in “dark” houses. Was one of the programmers scarred by the rainstorm darkness of A21 and so pushed things to the opposite extreme? 😂

2 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Wait, so did Wandering Sleepers sneakily make it in?

Well, there is this bit in the release notes:

• A new zombie spawning throttling triggering system has been added to the level editor and the level designers have made use of it to keep the higher count POIS challenging but running better.

Not sure if this would cause "wandering sleepers"...

12 minutes ago, Professor-Pip said:

Well, there is this bit in the release notes:

Not sure if this would cause "wandering sleepers"...

Nah, I just saw an instance of a quest zombie wandering about the POI before the player entered. Could see the dot moving on the compass two so it wasn't a wild spawn that wandered in. Once the player shot it, it trigger the first room of zombies to agro

Here's the clip

https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianJollyFiddleheadsMikeHogu-rB9thickc_fY5x4_

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

@Roland

I have two questions.

First, will you set your gamma to 0 and take a snap of outside and inside?

Second, Why have you never made a game play vid?

I like the thought of the dark requiring a light to even partially see, it also stop the gamma from

whitewashing the true colors. I just played 14 again, and at dusk near a farm, I got ganked by a dog

and all I could see was my blood on the screen.  Goodtimes.

Something I'm noticing from Streamer Weekend:

While loot progression and trader progression is slowed down (yay!), level and gamestage progression is NOT slowed down to match. One base settings, one streamer was getting feral bikers while still fighting with stone and primitive weapons. It's too easy to progress too quickly stagewise while not being equipped decently enough deal with your first horde, unless you customize your settings to adjust things.

A reduction in experience gained from looting and crafting might be in order at default?

35 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

While loot progression and trader progression is slowed down (yay!), level and gamestage progression is NOT slowed down to match. One base settings, one streamer was getting feral bikers while still fighting with stone and primitive weapons. It's too easy to progress too quickly stagewise while not being equipped decently enough deal with your first horde, unless you customize your settings to adjust things.

A reduction in experience gained from looting and crafting might be in order at default?

Nowadays, I've started planning out my builds in particle board and then replacing those pieces with cobble or concrete blocks once I'm 110% committed. I also choose not to wear nerdy glasses. The XP reduction is small, but noticeable. :)

Many zombies, ferals especially, have received a pretty crazy buff in health in 1.0. My honest advice would be to play one difficulty lower than you're used to. Don't go outside at night unless you're really daring. If you get cornered by a feral, especially a biker, you're most certainly dead.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

I haven’t noticed any difficulty seeing different colors of clothing and hair on the zombies. Not sure what the issue is. 

my issue is the lack of contrast in lighting between light and dark. I put my brightness down to 10% and can still see perfectly fine at night and in “dark” houses. Was one of the programmers scarred by the rainstorm darkness of A21 and so pushed things to the opposite extreme? 😂

Fingers crossed the Dark Nights mod is updated ASAP. :D

16 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nowadays, I've started planning out my builds in particle board and then replacing those pieces with cobble or concrete blocks once I'm 110% committed. I also choose not to wear nerdy glasses. The XP reduction is small, but noticeable. :)

Many zombies, ferals especially, have received a pretty crazy buff in health in 1.0. My honest advice would be to play one difficulty lower than you're used to. Don't go outside at night unless you're really daring. If you get cornered by a feral, especially a biker, you're most certainly dead.

See that's the thing - the one I was watching wasn't using the xp boosting mod. They were just playing as normal.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Most streamers I have seen set xp to 200%, so they are making their leveling much faster

7 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Nah, I just saw an instance of a quest zombie wandering about the POI before the player entered. Could see the dot moving on the compass two so it wasn't a wild spawn that wandered in. Once the player shot it, it trigger the first room of zombies to agro

Here's the clip....

Let's just say, this is just the beginning. 😆.  I don't want to steal Faatal's thunder. 😎

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

I'm late checking in since the announcement of 1.0!  I guess I've missed any conversation about how far down the road certain enhancements are.  I admit I wasn't expecting to need to wait until the end of 2025 before story mode happens, lol.  I'm not sure I can wait that long to play, but I also don't want to burn out on it before then.  Tricky.

2 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Was it at night, outside the forest biome, or on a T3+ building?

In any of these three cases then it's just the streamer taking their chances. Or, for that matter, horde night.

3 hours ago, Old Crow said:

I blame this on the "challenges" instead of a little food or ammo or mats, they just gave a lot of xp out. this raises levels faster without benefits. so GS goes up, but no gameplay parts like loot or money to back that boost with. needs a rethink

Hello! Quick question, have the guys found any big bug or tomorrow's release of a public experimental is still on the cards? :)

ps. On the topic of seeing in dark enviroments, I have been wanting to talk about eye adaption, or whatever is called in english, for years. Had its effect inverted for many alphas, I haven't seen the 1.0 version yet tho.

Edited by danielspoa (see edit history)

Major bug, not that I've heard. I see that Prime is playing B307, but he also found a couple things to fix, so there will be at least a B308. Generally, from past releases it won't be until sometime around/after 2pm Central Time, but the only "guarantee" is before 11:59pm barring the discovery of something too important to not fix.

8 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Saw someone get offered a single can of Miso Soup for a T3 quest reward

That is funny. They could just get rid of the quest reward since they give out Dukes.

The perspective had been in the past that you get nice question rewards and decent Dukes. I can see where that's going to take some adjustment to the new "modest dukes plus door prize."

Or maybe I should say "modest dukes plus hors d'oeuvres."

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

2 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Was it at night, outside the forest biome, or on a T3+ building?

In any of these three cases then it's just the streamer taking their chances. Or, for that matter, horde night.

Forest biome, T1 POIs, sometimes at night, sometimes during the day. Building their base and horde night base too.

20 hours ago, meganoth said:

You should be more specific why you think it is useless. Me, I use farming in every game, with only ever putting 1 point in LotL (except if I go Fortitude, then more). Sure, you need a bigger field, but it is a steady supply of food even with that bit of randomness.

To me it seems the farming gain is so small that it is not worth the trouble of putting all that time into it. 1 point in LotL is not worth in my opinion. That time is much better spent on exploring and looting that will yield some food but also gets you all kinds of other loot.

I don't like Fortitude's weapon of choice, so it won't be my first tree to level up. By the time I feel like I have the points to spare for LotL, I always have enough food to skip farming alltogether.

In principle I think it is not a good design to tie sustainable farming to a specific tree in a survival game. I wouldn't mind if one tree had benefits in farming but to have farming yield negative results as a starting point is weird.

12 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

You don’t have to go down the fortitude tree for farming.  One point in LoTL at Fortitude level 1 doubles your harvest amounts (2 for wild plants, 4 for player planted crops).  Seeds are plentiful in loot and traders so you don’t have to scrap crops into seeds, just replace any harvests you fail to get a seed back from purchases / looting.

Ok that actually makes sense - using only the seeds I find and skip the seed crafting...