Vending machines make dew collector useless?

So far water doesn't seem to be an issue and after watching 4 different streamers for about a total of like 5 or so hours I don't see what was the point in this whole rework around it.

With vending machines and the trader what exactly makes the dew collector worth crafting? Aside from a possible multi-player use I guess and even then that really limits its use.  Just seems the addition of vending machines really killed the survival aspect of this game and maybe it's time the pimps removed them.

4 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

maybe it's time the pimps removed them.

You haven't even played A21 yet and it isn't released as stable yet and you are already saying they should remove a new feature?  Sorry to say, but that isn't going to happen.

Ever since they mentioned the water change, I've been saying that I didn't expect it to make any real difference.  And it doesn't.  It just changes where you get water.  Not exactly a big deal.  But this is how they want to do it, so it is what we have.  If you want to pay for water, go for it.  But if you want free water, you'll need a dew collector or multiple of them.

The prices are such that the filter is costs the same as a 10-stack of water. Couple days worth of water. Producing 3 a day, in 4 days it has paid itself back, and then it's producing 450 dukes a day for you. Sure, the economy is usually broken enough not to worry about such measly amounts, but, then, why worry about such measly amounts?

The dew collector can also find some heavy use in challenge play-thru's. Some players will disable traders completely and create an RWG map with no rivers, lakes, ponds, or wells. Water has been cut off for years, there is no electricity but what you research and build. The POI's have no vending machines or refrigerators. A dry, dusty hell, so to speak.

Something I've been hoping to see more of in 7Days is the ability to replicate some of the hardcore challenges in Project Zomboid. Scenarios like a map that is basically the middle of the Atacama Desert. It's not realistic, but for a few demented people, it's fun as heck. I like PZ just fine, but I love the first-person perspective of 7DTD much more.

Maybe it's time to also modify the vending machine prices. I'm so excited to play alpha 21 and see how I want to update my 7 deadly sins mod. The dew collector seems odd for sure, I liked glass jars, but I'm looking forward to trying it. Everything, just about, in this game can modified, which is it's best selling point. If only they would remove the hard code preventing modifying the building integrity code. My super blocks on my server still have limitations on distance they can go. So I'd just prefer if they keep opening up more of the code to us so we can make the game perfect. 

16 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

With vending machines and the trader what exactly makes the dew collector worth crafting?

I can give you 4 reasons why a dew collector is still something you want to have.

1. Once the dew collector is built, it provides water for free. You always have to pay for the water in the vending machine.
  2. You can build as many dew collectors as you need. If you need large amounts of water for your game, you can build more dew collectors but you can not build more vending machines.
  3. The dew collector is a reliable source of water. The amount of water in the vending machines varies.
  4. You can have your water source where you want it and do not depend on having your base near a working vending machine. If you want, you can even build the dew collector underground, as long as there is a connection to the top.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

So far water doesn't seem to be an issue and after watching 4 different streamers for about a total of like 5 or so hours I don't see what was the point in this whole rework around it.

With vending machines and the trader what exactly makes the dew collector worth crafting? Aside from a possible multi-player use I guess and even then that really limits its use.  Just seems the addition of vending machines really killed the survival aspect of this game and maybe it's time the pimps removed them.

See when I play a game if had something I don't want/like I just don't use said item, instead of thinking I am special and everyone else should conform to my way of playing game that I want devs to remove the item because I don't want anyone else using it. I also if really want to change it will mod the xml files to remove that item instead of thinking I am so privileged in my idea of how game should be played I want to remove a item so noone else can use it.

12 hours ago, mprojekt said:

The dew collector can also find some heavy use in challenge play-thru's. Some players will disable traders completely and create an RWG map with no rivers, lakes, ponds, or wells. Water has been cut off for years, there is no electricity but what you research and build. The POI's have no vending machines or refrigerators. A dry, dusty hell, so to speak.

Something I've been hoping to see more of in 7Days is the ability to replicate some of the hardcore challenges in Project Zomboid. Scenarios like a map that is basically the middle of the Atacama Desert. It's not realistic, but for a few demented people, it's fun as heck. I like PZ just fine, but I love the first-person perspective of 7DTD much more.

If they disable traders they will have to mod in filters to be lootable as right now I think trader is only place to get the filter.

59 minutes ago, Gamida said:

If they disable traders they will have to mod in filters to be lootable as right now I think trader is only place to get the filter.

I've played most of my A20 time with no traders.  For me they make the game far less enjoyable.  So I'd be modding in a recipe for them and/or adding them to the loot tables (and for everything else that is trader-only).

If you are like me and want to make water less prevalent, one thing you can do is increase the trader / vending machines restock time.  I usually set mine to every 7 days so the restock typically happens after bloodmoon horde night.  Don't change the quantities stocked and those inventories become less impactful.

2 hours ago, Gamida said:

Yeah. At least from what I can see in this A21 streamer weekend, nobody I have watched seems to have found a water filter in loot.

As you (and Maharin, below) mention, a mod would be needed unless TFP adds filters to the vanilla loot tables.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

I've played most of my A20 time with no traders.  For me they make the game far less enjoyable.  So I'd be modding in a recipe for them and/or adding them to the loot tables (and for everything else that is trader-only).

5 hours ago, Gamida said:

You can also find the filter in broken dew collectors but it is a very rare find. So the trader is the best place to get one.

5 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

If you are like me and want to make water less prevalent, one thing you can do is increase the trader / vending machines restock time.  I usually set mine to every 7 days so the restock typically happens after bloodmoon horde night.  Don't change the quantities stocked and those inventories become less impactful.

I did that in A20 and set the restock to 1000 days. I didn't mind finding things in vending machines, but I wanted a world where there was no source of restock.

Do people not loot?  I Swear doing quests only has made people forget how to play this game. Haven't seen an issue as far as gathering murky water to then craft into water. The water filter mod for the helmet also makes dew collectors pointless in which you can drink from any water source.  People defending this are the same ones who would argue pack mule is a needed perk. 

This new feature isn't a good one and it seems to have had little thought put into it. Aside from the multi-player aspect in which it will help out I can't see this as needed in a single player world. 

This isn't about play style or some other silly reason like some folks here came up with, this is about a feature that for the most part is pointless. Hopefully it will be reverted back to how it was or the least remove the vending machines to actually make it a valuable asset.

When you first start, you don't have enough vending machines to give you the water you need. Some will not have water. They usually have something you can drink such as red tea but you can't use that to make glue or cook with.

I have three vending machines located, a dew collector, and usually loot two or three murky water bottles so I might be over the hump. 

Make sure you mark working vending machines on your map when you find them.

7 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

Do people not loot?

Yes I do when I do quests.

7 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

I Swear doing quests only has made people forget how to play this game.

With "How to play the game" you mean spending time in the mine, building big bases, and just being happy? Anyway, that was how I played the game before there were quests.

Looting is not my favorite thing to do. And the quests allow me to fulfill my looting quota with set tasks. Otherwise I turn to my favorite activity and that is building.

I've got a single dew collector and the wherewithal to build more, which I'm going to have to do.  I originally made 22 Red Tea, and I'm down to 6.  Unfortunately all the trader has been offering are buried supply quests, which don't offer the opportunity to loot (and don't offer magazine bundles as a reward. :( )

Sure, I could go loot just randomly, but I'd like to make my way through the quest tiers.