Worst start imaginable

warmer

I made a custom map that is mostly wasteland and burnt forest.

Spawn in....

and I'm 30' up in a tree in the wasteland.
Only way to go is down...

s
e
c
o
n
d
later I have a broken leg and I'm staring at a land mine ahead of me.

This is hands down the worst 1st spawn/start I have ever had. lol

What's yours?

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

Spawned in Navezgane at the edge of the burnt forest. There is an intersection of two roads that is almost always guaranteed a spawn of a few dogs. I had four or five. Of course, I died. And instead of getting lucky and respawning somewhere else, I respawned right there five more times. 

I did eventually get the upper hand, and managed to beat down the dogs. Ran up the road to the abandoned house I usually use for the starter base in that area of the map, and was assaulted by a wandering horde that was all vultures just before I arrived.

That game pretty much continued in that fashion. Went to the old west town on the second day, and got stuck on a roof surrounded by a dog horde. I quit and started a new one before the second horde night because it was utterly relentless. That was when I learned that the wandering horde could end up being something like all dogs, cultures, or even bears.

On ps4, i was joining a friends game and had never played before.

- spawned in the snow, it began raining (i think, might have been heavy snow. ) and zeds were already near me. I died pretty quickly.

- respawned in the wasteland, wandered a bit, tried running and died to dogs and a cop.

eventually i was able to make it to their base, after a looooong walk, crouching in holes at night, etc.

Have been hooked ever since :)

Mine is only possible on MP servers, so you probably already know what it was.

Spawn in the wasteland but its also the middle of the night, cause I didn't check gametime when I looked at the server.  I zombie sees me within seconds.  I turn and run 3 steps, hit a landmine.

Edited by stample (see edit history)

16 hours ago, warmer said:

I made a custom map that is mostly wasteland and burnt forest.

Spawn in....

and I'm 30' up in a tree in the wasteland.
Only way to go is down...

s
e
c
o
n
d
later I have a broken leg and I'm staring at a land mine ahead of me.

This is hands down the worst 1st spawn/start I have ever had. lol

What's yours?

Pfffft...  That's nothing.  Spawned in on a public server and the second I had control of my character to start things ...  Pack of infected dogs - Dead.

In an earlier version of Random world generated worlds, my character spawn in a rocky hole, after awhile a zombie fell in and I allowed it to kill me.

I play dead is dead. no respawn. So for me it was knowing I had no other option than to jump and break my leg. I was looking for a real challenge hence the wasteland/burnt map. 

Knowing I had to somehow crawl out of there to get enough wood to make a basic structure was really frightening. Very little wood/fiber in the wasteland so that first hour is pretty tense with a broken leg lol

Oh I also forgot to mention Spawn is turned up 3x vanilla so its thick with undead. 

Joining in on hordenight on a public server near to a hordebase. Yeah i could have looked at the timer. I forgot.

Other than that, it was propably with KingGen maps where you had the option to get a spawnpoint on random roofs. There were some nasty roofs to spawn on.

In SP Vanilla i can´t recally any tbh.

A bit longer ago... A9 or 10 I think...
Back then custom spawns were... something else ...

Well... I spawned in the wasteland and right in front of me are 2 dogs.
No wood to build, no cars to climb on... just... instant death, no questions asked.
And i respawned like two or three times close to it... yeah... fun times :D

Ouch.  lol daaaamn that's a rough start.

I think my worst start was the first night of alpha 17 drop.   I had converted a remote cabin in forest biome and I was crafting in the wee hours of late night.

Without warning, my little space had been bum rushed by a large number of Big Mommas and they smashed open my front door within two seconds.  They streamed in growling and there was just an ocean of them.   I remember being in discord with a buddy of mine and the jumpscare was so powerful I scared my buddy too when i let out a loud string of expletives followed "OH DEAR GODS HELP ME IM IN THE ROTTING HELL OF SOILED BLOOMERS"

I... somehow, managed to jump to safety and cut a hole in the roof of my tin foil fortress and escaped but the shack was just wrecked.

Joined in a PvP server, a public one, no friends. Spawned near a road with someone else's small base 20 blocks away. Ran into the near forest when I saw this odd looking whole in the ground. A minibike was hidden in it from someone. Took it. This was the time when there was this bug where a minibike made its noise all over the map. Saw two guys in front of me 10 seconds after riding it, one with a bat, another with crossbow. Tried 180 degree turn but got stuck in this small shed's wall and pressed keys like a @%$# to get unstuck. These two guys were standing few seconds laughing their asses. Of course got killed and left. 

My worst start was my own fault. I started a RWG game and had the misfortune of spawning in the wasteland biome. No problem, I thought. I'll just be extra careful. So long story short: I wasn't. Died to something. Don't even recall what it was. To my surprise, I respawned in the same exact location as before. Just one minor problem, this time there was a dog behind me. I died nearly instantly. (At this point I need to mention that my first death happened while I didn't have a bedroll placed. I had it in my inventory at the time. I picked it up after completing that part of the starting quest. I planned to put it on top of a small wasteland structure.) I respawned again in the exact same spot. Apparently, that was the only spawn location on that map because despite being killed repeatedly, I always spawned in the same spot facing away from the dog.

When Nitrogen was still functional I used the Spawn on a random roof option when making a map. I was also using the CompoPack.

In the CP there is an edit of one of the vanilla fancy houses (a stucco McMansion) that has about a billion snakes in it. At the time I was using a mod that replaced all snakes with Radiated Soldiers.

I spawned on the roof of that house, and while wondering why the game had just turned into a stuttering slide show, I began to hear the sounds of blocks being obliterated as the glowing green @%$#s just exploded out of it. Good times.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:19 PM, warmer said:

I play dead is dead. no respawn. So for me it was knowing I had no other option than to jump and break my leg. I was looking for a real challenge hence the wasteland/burnt map. 

Knowing I had to somehow crawl out of there to get enough wood to make a basic structure was really frightening. Very little wood/fiber in the wasteland so that first hour is pretty tense with a broken leg lol

Oh I also forgot to mention Spawn is turned up 3x vanilla so its thick with undead. 

That should be how insane difficulty starts players out by default.  Broken leg care of the Duke, middle of the wasteland, no starting items. Maybe even half hunger/thirst.

A17, in one of my first ever playthroughs, I spawned in the wasteland with a hill right behind me.  Ran atop the hill to get a lay of the land and right below on the other side of the hill was a zombie bear.  Was far enough away I didn't aggro it, but also couldn't see anything but wasteland and maybe some burnt forest nearby.

Pretty sure I died to a landmine not long after.  😛

14 hours ago, DanLW said:

That should be how insane difficulty starts players out by default.  Broken leg care of the Duke, middle of the wasteland, no starting items. Maybe even half hunger/thirst.

YES!!! Definitely. Also, be under the effects of drunk/stunned when you spawn in for maximum disorientation lol

I had a game once that put me a long way above a tree at the center of the map.  Going straight down from entering the game broke my leg.  Jumping from the tree after that killed me, unless I wanted to wait a very long time to heal.  Yeah... let's just say I cheated a bit at the start of that one.