3 things that appeal to you in the game and are the most important to you?

Rotor

This random thought popped in while explaining how I play.   So out of curiosity figure I ask.  Here are mine.

1.  The world (Open, destructable, buildable).

2.  Survival (sorta).

3.  Not sure, as the more I thought about it, with number one and number two I would play most genres.  I guess possibly co-op since originally I acquired it to play with fam, but RL has had a way to derail that and play exclusively solo.

1. a great random sandbox experience

2. the freedom to reshape the world 

3. the freedom to define your own path/play style

I keep coming back to games with the above elements for hundreds of hours. Most have 2 of the 3 figured out. 7 days to die is the only game that fully have 1, 2, and 3 fleshed out in my opinion. If there was a deep random quest system for lengthy evolving main story, 7d2d would be a master piece of replayability.

Things that would ruin 7d2d for me;

being forced to pick a "class" with predefined skill tree

loosing the ability to take over POI and build anywhere

it that happens I'll just play Dying Light 2. For me, aside from gorgeous graphics the only thing it has going for it over 7d2d is the combat. The lack of freedom in creating a base is a bummer.

10 hours ago, warmer said:

it that happens I'll just play Dying Light 2. For me, aside from gorgeous graphics the only thing it has going for it over 7d2d is the combat.

I can't comment on Dying Light. Don't have it. I've tried to get others to join me in 7d2d, they say 'graphics aren't good enough'. Hells bells. What about the rest of the game features? Silence. Ok then.

My things:

1)  No two play throughs are the same, thanks (or curses) to the RNG

2)  I can steer my game strengths to how I wish to play in my most effective way

3)   I can build whatever the heck I want, breaking anything I want

and 4) If I don't like what vanilla offers, I can easily plug in some mods.

Oh, the combat? If I am fighting with at least 1% health remaining after it all, then I consider myself good and lucky. And then it's time to change armor/weapons and/or tactics. Enhanced graphis are nice, but death is still essentially a black screen. I do not even consider graphics quality when my butt is on the line when facing some late-game adversary. 

And maybe this fifth point: It's hella fun for me.

1. The building/voxel/world. Its fun knowing there are no "safe spots" and you can build anything.

2. The "poi variety". I like having some big ones i cannot go into early game. Its something to work towards, like a forbidden place. Not entirely forbidden as you can just take over a small pArt if it thoigh if you want, like its not locked/gated until you have keys/etc.

3. The look/feel of the world, especially now with the city tiles making spaces in between buildings narrow, like real life.

theres a lot i personally think could be made "more cooler" but yeah, modding can scratch that itch. I really really wish that more options were available in mods so the mod authors (or the game) can more easily detect mod collisions or "this mod is compatible with x,y, z mods"

10 hours ago, Melange said:

I can't comment on Dying Light. Don't have it. I've tried to get others to join me in 7d2d, they say 'graphics aren't good enough'. Hells bells. What about the rest of the game features? Silence. Ok then.

My things:

1)  No two play throughs are the same, thanks (or curses) to the RNG

2)  I can steer my game strengths to how I wish to play in my most effective way

3)   I can build whatever the heck I want, breaking anything I want

and 4) If I don't like what vanilla offers, I can easily plug in some mods.

Oh, the combat? If I am fighting with at least 1% health remaining after it all, then I consider myself good and lucky. And then it's time to change armor/weapons and/or tactics. Enhanced graphis are nice, but death is still essentially a black screen. I do not even consider graphics quality when my butt is on the line when facing some late-game adversary. 

And maybe this fifth point: It's hella fun for me.

This sums it up for me perfectly.

1) Voxels with building/destruction of everything.

2) Difficulty. With the settings cranked up, even when being prepared, sensible and careful, I can die.

3) Developer dedication. While I'd love development to be faster, the devs have never swayed in their commitment to the game.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

- The survival aspect, and I put the bar quite high. I always play Delete Items on death and delete the save file upon dying. And it doesn't matter how many hours you have in the game. More is better of course, but i can still get @%$#ed up in an unexpected way after 3300 hours so far. You can never be safe enough and the permadeath twist I add is a quite awesome thrill, turning into pure hell if I play on a Wasteland-only map.

- The possibility to destroy and reshape everything at your complete will. In almost all of my playthroughs, I scout around to spot a POI I can turn into my hideout and another for fighting hordes. I freaking love doing this and I try to proceed following the recommendations of the Zombie Survival Guide (set yourself on higher floors, destroy stairs, have another way out, etc.)

- The urban environment. Which is mainly a thing from A20. A lot of zombie survival games take place in the back-country of a certain area. State of Decay, Days Gone, Day Z, MIST: Survival, the oncoming Dead Matter, and 7DTD of course. I'm kinda tired of this. The only one that seems to be the exception is The Day After, also soon to be released. I always wished for zombie survival game set in the fashion of The Division games; complete urban and city settings. But A20 now has those areas and I absolutely love it. I'm waiting for Teragon or any other map generator that will allow me to create enormous cities with very few patches of wilderness, like what NitroGen and KingGen made possible.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

Building / destroying

Combat mechanics like dismemberment and ragdolling set up a lot of comical moments

I dont have to be good (or particularly sober) to play and enjoy it. Early game especially is great.

Purely and simply, its fun.

Pity the game wont allow a loop de loop for the motorbike though...

On 11/21/2022 at 1:59 AM, warmer said:

1. a great random sandbox experience

2. the freedom to reshape the world 

3. the freedom to define your own path/play style

This sums it up for me, too.  I can play as-is or change it into whatever I want.  The more I put into the game the more I get out of it.  VERY few games in my experience give me that level of satisfaction.

16 hours ago, mike collett said:

Pity the game wont allow a loop de loop for the motorbike though...

This reminded me…..the alpha where the minibike was released, one of the first things that I tried was to build a loop de loop using frames and using a quality 6 engine (at the time, the speed of the minibike was fastest with a number 6 engine). I was so excited once I had the loop constructed but the attempt was utterly deflating. The minibike hit the loop and just went nowhere. Not the minibike falling halfway around the loop or experiencing a successful loop……it just did nothing lol. My bubble was burst.

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

This reminded me…..the alpha where the minibike was released, one of the first things that I tried was to build a loop de loop using frames and using a quality 6 engine (at the time, the speed of the minibike was fastest with a number 6 engine). I was so excited once I had the loop constructed but the attempt was utterly deflating. The minibike hit the loop and just went nowhere. Not the minibike falling halfway around the loop or experiencing a successful loop……it just did nothing lol. My bubble was burst.

Evel Knieval wasn't consulted on minibikes, and we all paid for that oversight.

As a totally off topic aside, my brother appears twice in Evel's movie starring George Hamilton (1971).  🙂

Edited by Melange
typos, typ's and oh's. lol (see edit history)

The scope and variety of the world.

There are many games, like Empyrion for instance, that have fully destructible environments and virtually no constraints on how or where you can build.  In many ways, Empyrion and SE do that FAR better.  The thing is that environment needs to be in a place that is worth exploring and no other game of this nature does it nearly as well as 7 days.  From the variety of the POI's and world itself to the horde giving you an end goal to reach each week, the world remains interesting enough to give me a reason to do what I really want to do, build a big ass base.  Other games in this genre simply do not manage that and, as the worlds feel immense but empty and devoid of a point, those games simply cannot hold a candle to 7 days IMHO.

1. Digging underground is allowed

2. All poi are destructible / buildable

3. (Slightly) random item stats keep me looking for that "best" item.

Now I really like the ship building/tinkering part of Empyrion but their POI (which are few and far in between) will never look as "human real" as the 7D environments because they are tied to a 3m grid.
Yes, they had to balance detail and view distance of bases/ships against performance and something had to give.

It's just harder to feel personally attached to something on the scale of a warehouse and you can never make things look as grunge and lived-in as in 7D.

While Empyrion has "base attacks" it really only means your base gets carpet bombed and you'd better have had enough turrets to win the damage race. There's no planning or strategising involved. Build as many turrets as you can and you either win or you don't.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

1. Digging underground is allowed

2. All poi are destructible / buildable

3. (Slightly) random item stats keep me looking for that "best" item.

Now I really like the ship building/tinkering part of Empyrion but their POI (which are few and far in between) will never look as "human real" as the 7D environments because they are tied to a 3m grid.
Yes, they had to balance detail and view distance of bases/ships against performance and something had to give.

It's just harder to feel personally attached to something on the scale of a warehouse and you can never make things look as grunge and lived-in as in 7D.

While Empyrion has "base attacks" it really only means your base gets carpet bombed and you'd better have had enough turrets to win the damage race. There's no planning or strategising involved. Build as many turrets as you can and you either win or you don't.

Not to mention they have a tiny fraction of the POI's that 7 days has.  If they had the numbers and blowing a hole in them with your ship to get loot that is immaterial to the game in its entirety was not the case then you might have a game but sadly that is not the case.  

Which saddens me because I love the building aspects there.  And really, as many turrets?  I have never needed more than 1 to be truly honest though I usually went with 4.  The base attacks in that game are truly bad.

I await for a combination of the best aspects of this game, Empyrion and SE to appear in a single title.

Edited by FA_Q2 (see edit history)

1) Literally rebuild the world the way you want.

The voxel building aspect is hands down what has differientated this game among other similar games for me.  Being able to use your imagination and recreate and relive any memorable zombie movie / show is a huge plus.

2) Random generated worlds

Hand crafted maps are great but take time to make.  The new tile system and number of POIs now currently in game has reached a point where every map will feel never feel the same and provide a different experience.

3) Gameplay Loop

The urgency of the bloodmoon horde and the ability to get to you is the money maker.  Sure it's not perfect, but most games lack this escalating sense of urgency to make you get off your ass and manage your time.

4) Coop

Being able to experience 1 through 3 above with friends is the ultimate experience that creates memorable moments that has me return back to do it all over again.

1) The ease to modify the game and tweak it to your desires.  You can simply do a value change using xpath coding to make significant changes to the game

2) Random World Generation

3) The game does not pigeonhole me.  I can convert a POI for a horde base or build one from scratch.  I can craft what I need or just try to find it by searching the world.

1. Co-op, Co-op, Co-op. I enjoy playing S/P, but rolling new characters with my Friends and Family is by far my favorite item. (This was one of the original ways I discovered this game was searching for co-op games.)

2. Fully destructible world. Being able to build and destroy literally everything was a huge plus for me. 

3. Map randomization. Having that unknown factor as to where you get to explore, trade, build was also a huge deal for me. (Lots of similarities to Minecraft, which was also a fan favorite of our group.)

4. I am going to copy @Laz Man choice too. The slowly building urgency that you have to be planning for the inevitable Horde in a few days. Just makes it that much more enjoyable. 

Destructible environment is the only thing that is left from the game i loved years ago not even base building, as every activity happens @ the traders and quests. And even if you want to ignore them and prepare for horde, you have to build some strange constructions (check YouTube), since after all these overhauls the zombies are so fkd up, that its either you cheesey them, or they will. Not even rust has that exploitey base building. Also good job on making underground useless.

Survival? What survival?

Map randomization.. really? If you seen two cities and a village, you can safely say you seen everything. Unless you enjoy these vast open space full of absolute nothingness but trees/bushes/cacti/trash piles. Daggerfall vibes much.

Nah, cba continuing.

1) Being able to build just about anything (within limits, of course) is great.  I'm not sure I'd keep playing if that wasn't part of the game.  Destroying everything goes hand in hand with that.

2) Random World Generator.  It could use some improvements still, such as being able to generate just biomes and terrain to find something you like before generating the entire map or being able to avoid maps with oceans (edge of map water).  But all in all, it creates a great variety of maps to enjoy.

3) Mostly good POI that aren't boring to go through.

And I'll add in a fourth.... Killing zombies.  There is just something so very satisfying to mop the floor with zombies. 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1. Base building is such a brilliant part of this game and I’d love to see more decor for the base ! Furniture, signs, etc 

it would also be cool to display clothes. 

I understand it’s a zombie game but itd be cool to also make use of the incredible building tools but being able to decorate inside too so that people can customise their homes. Atm they all look the same I mean we have the same furniture as the town builds

2. hoarde night ! Awesome

3. I love the vehicles but wouldn’t it be awesome to steal or take cars that are ditched about along with variety of cars ! Like if it was a zombie apocalypse, you’d be able to do that