Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

10 minutes ago, Riamus said:

That was my point.  Being tied to real time means that if you play at 40 minute days versus 120 minute days, you are eating and drinking 1/3 the amount per day because your days go by faster without any change in how often you need to eat and drink in real time.  This makes it easier in regards to eating and drinking on a faster (supposedly more challenging) game speed.  So let's say you have to eat and drink once per 15 minutes real time.  On a 40 minute day, you would need to eat and drink around 3 tires per day.  On a 120 minute day, you'd need to eat and drink around 8 times per day.  Less need or difficulty on a shorter day.  Granted, you can say that trying to eat and drink so often on a shorter day would be too hard, but it would certainly help with the difficulty and survival aspects when playing a shorter day.  Probably wouldn't want a linear progression for eating and drinking if tied to game time because it would definitely be much harder if you had to eat and drink 8 times a day on a 40 minute day.  But a sliding scale based on game time would help balance it.  This can even be fiyne based on real time by just adjusting the eating and drinking timer based on day length while still using real time for the timer.

I thought hunger and at least some of thirst was controlled by how far you’ve moved/traveled.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

That was my point.  Being tied to real time means that if you play at 40 minute days versus 120 minute days, you are eating and drinking 1/3 the amount per day because your days go by faster without any change in how often you need to eat and drink in real time.  This makes it easier in regards to eating and drinking on a faster (supposedly more challenging) game speed.  So let's say you have to eat and drink once per 15 minutes real time.  On a 40 minute day, you would need to eat and drink around 3 tires per day.  On a 120 minute day, you'd need to eat and drink around 8 times per day.  Less need or difficulty on a shorter day.  Granted, you can say that trying to eat and drink so often on a shorter day would be too hard, but it would certainly help with the difficulty and survival aspects when playing a shorter day.  Probably wouldn't want a linear progression for eating and drinking if tied to game time because it would definitely be much harder if you had to eat and drink 8 times a day on a 40 minute day.  But a sliding scale based on game time would help balance it.  This can even be fiyne based on real time by just adjusting the eating and drinking timer based on day length while still using real time for the timer.

If it is on realtime then everyone always eats and drinks at the same rate no matter how long their days are. It is neither harder or easier. The only weirdness is that you end up eating multiple times in a day which feels strange if you play 120 minute days. But that is just an illusion. Realtime timers affect everyone the same. If I have to eat every 2 hours of realtime play then so do you and whether that translates to 7pm for me or 11am for you is immaterial.

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I thought hunger and at least some of thirst was controlled by how far you’ve moved/traveled.

Stamina use burns food as does cold weather. So yes running around or pushing the acceleration on vehicles burns food.

Why not just generate a modlet to change the food / water loss if you are concerned about eating too much during a 120 minute day?  Right now the water drain is set to about 40/hour while the food drain is 30/hour.  It's only 2 lines that require the change and you can tweak it to what you think it should be.

18 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Why not just generate a modlet to change the food / water loss if you are concerned about eating too much during a 120 minute day?  Right now the water drain is set to about 40/hour while the food drain is 30/hour.  It's only 2 lines that require the change and you can tweak it to what you think it should be.

NO Everyone needs to play exactly how I want to play.

5 hours ago, Pyrrhrick said:

Quick one - are cans being removed in A21? I saw some rationale about making the game uniform in how it returns items upon consumption. As far as I know wouldn't cans be the only outlier? Would make sense to get rid of them too if the goal is consistency.

Cans are gone too

12 hours ago, Roland said:

If it is on realtime then everyone always eats and drinks at the same rate no matter how long their days are. It is neither harder or easier. The only weirdness is that you end up eating multiple times in a day which feels strange if you play 120 minute days. But that is just an illusion. Realtime timers affect everyone the same. If I have to eat every 2 hours of realtime play then so do you and whether that translates to 7pm for me or 11am for you is immaterial.

I disagree. It impacts farming yields. If I put up a farm as a food source, I'll be consuming produce/crops much more on 120/day than the guy on 30/day, since in my game the crops grow "slower" (unless I'm mistaken and those timers are RT too).

So, on average, IMO food survival on longer settings is a bit tougher, not easier.

12 hours ago, Roland said:

Stamina use burns food as does cold weather. So yes running around or pushing the acceleration on vehicles burns food.

And that's another downside of playing 120/day, you'll burn many more calories because you'll constantly be doing "stuff" to get what you need.

9 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

NO Everyone needs to play exactly how I want to play.

Exactly! And after they change vanilla as you asked, you can go around and tell everybody YOU were right! :whoo:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

Boiled meat.....this is one that has always got me. Is it just me or doesn't that just sound completely disgusting? 

I never make it in the game, idk, I just refuse to. I know it gives hydration along with food & health but I just can't do it. 

Hell I'll even eat dog or cat food while I'm out looting, which is also disgusting, but I refuse to make boiled meat, lol 🤷

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

I might be overthinking this but I noticed in the pictures about learn by looting there is a section for "harvesting tools" and "blades"

A hunting knife is both a blade and used to harvest meat/corpses/etc so... do both trees increase crafting lvl of hunting knife? 

Easy: if the knife is in that crafting series, then THAT is the tree which allows you to craft the knife.

Unless, the recipe is in both trees I guess, so in that case I suspect the higher one counts...

5 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Boiled meat.....this is one that has always got me. Is it just me or doesn't that just sound completely disgusting? 

I never make it in the game, idk, I just refuse to. I know it gives hydration along with food & health but I just can't do it. 

Hell I'll even eat dog or cat food while I'm out looting, which is also disgusting, but I refuse to make boiled meat, lol 🤷

Are you joking? Where do you leave? You have never got boiled meat in your life?? :suspicious:

I suggest you try some boiled chicken, sliced and ground, and put some mustard on top! :untroubled:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I suggest you try some boiled chicken, sliced and ground, and put some mustard on top! :untroubled:

What about the secret pigeon sauce. (Michelin restaurants` favorite thing in the Apocalypse) ? 

Oh, no jars, I get it. 

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Cans are gone too

Thanks for confirming Roland! This is actually a relief as I couldn't not scrap every can I saw :)

so, what I am understanding is don't update the game past alpha 20. like Minecraft where people just play 9.7 because that version was better. cause reading this makes it sound like how I like to play wont be viable anymore. duct tape and glue is what holds everything together. 

this is my thoughts  As I already Read the dev's saying "adopt a new play style " reasons " I'm having a Ton of fun with my melee only base " this statement is "sucks to be you, we don't care" . While I understand some thing this is not the type of comments that should be given as it is very dismissive of how a chosen set of people like to play. there are a few thing like comments of "you could play on nightmare mode" but it is starting to feel like the games default setting is going to do that for us and the option might as well be removed.  but what do I know I already play with 25% loot zombies always run, and horde night is every 3 days having water and food for my style of play is hard enough to maintain. 

but again this statement of "adopt a new play style" Simply will not work for me.  Are the Fun Pimps going to fix some of the bugs where players will fall through solid blocks and get stuck till someone punches them ? what about the when setting down turrets and them falling through the world ? just a few things I am sure they already know are bigger issues.  we already have auger hand zombies 2 types of exploding zombies and a constant need to replant  a garden.  could we get some farm animals to raise we already get packs of wolves and dogs to attack or a few bears.

why not introduce food poisonings for items that sit around in you inventory for so long ?  because the game should feel so zombie survival real that people dont even want to play it anymore because it's getting to much like real life and less like a game you would play for fun at that point ? 

eating a can of beans or cat food should run the risk of depleting water and health. you have that burnt meat that makes you deplete water already. the problem I am seeing is there "Are" ways to balance the food and water issue already. what I am looking at right now with these changes are two things. 

How I play the game is not seen as a valid way of playing.  and  two I likely need to find a new game to play.  as for now I know I will not be updating the game. unless it actually get out of Alpha to a finished game product to give it a real test as an actual game. as things sit I dont think i want to sink any more time into a game that already as hard as life is right now.  

in closing I thank the dev's that actually made the game fun up until auger hand zombies where I was told " dont build under ground " because I like living like a dwarf. 

21 hours ago, meganoth said:

You don't need to get back to base because of night. A POI with a secure upper floor or a fully filled up bike is a safe haven for much less dukes.

what if you don't have either ? what if you walk every where always moving and needing to set up a small shelter that may not hold up for your game stage? just asking cause I want to know 

40 minutes ago, sinpathic said:

what if you don't have either ? what if you walk every where always moving and needing to set up a small shelter that may not hold up for your game stage? just asking cause I want to know 

You mean you are not in walking distance of a POI, ANY POI before nightfall on 240 minute days? Nonsense

2 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Have you ever eaten a beef or chicken soup? Then you have eaten pieces of boiled meat. Meat gets done at about 65 degrees Celcius already (you might google "Sous Vide") and in a cooking pot it gets boiled at 100 degrees for a long time so even the center of the meat is a long time at a safe temperature.

Even more strange: If you eat a grilled steak that is less than "well done", the meat in the center has never reached the temperature you apply on the outside, was probably just above 65 degrees for a short time and it is more raw and less well cooked than anything in a soup.

Even more strangerer: Have you never eaten Sushi? Well, ...

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You mean you are not in walking distance of a POI, ANY POI before nightfall on 240 minute days? Nonsense

you do understand that some players do try to avoid POI's Traders and Towns. I am not saying its not doable and you do have people like me with absolutely no time management skill what so ever and are always in the dark doing things. I mean the game is marketed as a "Sandbox" where you should need POI or Trader's to play  

20 minutes ago, sinpathic said:

you do understand that some players do try to avoid POI's Traders and Towns. I am not saying its not doable and you do have people like me with absolutely no time management skill what so ever and are always in the dark doing things. I mean the game is marketed as a "Sandbox" where you should need POI or Trader's to play  

Most sandboxes (except for total sandboxes like Gerrys Mod) still have rules the player has to adapt to. For example you can't just sink into the ground or hover in the sky in this game and this was always the case. Zombies can kill you so you need to fight or hide from them. I could go on and on giving examples

If you want complete freedom you have to activate god mode and creative mode, otherwise there are still lots of rules.

Do you even avoid secluded POIs in the wilderness (there are lots of those too) ?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, sinpathic said:

so, what I am understanding is don't update the game past alpha 20. like Minecraft where people just play 9.7 because that version was better. cause reading this makes it sound like how I like to play wont be viable anymore. duct tape and glue is what holds everything together. 

this is my thoughts  As I already Read the dev's saying "adopt a new play style " reasons " I'm having a Ton of fun with my melee only base " this statement is "sucks to be you, we don't care" . While I understand some thing this is not the type of comments that should be given as it is very dismissive of how a chosen set of people like to play. there are a few thing like comments of "you could play on nightmare mode" but it is starting to feel like the games default setting is going to do that for us and the option might as well be removed.  but what do I know I already play with 25% loot zombies always run, and horde night is every 3 days having water and food for my style of play is hard enough to maintain. 

but again this statement of "adopt a new play style" Simply will not work for me.  Are the Fun Pimps going to fix some of the bugs where players will fall through solid blocks and get stuck till someone punches them ? what about the when setting down turrets and them falling through the world ? just a few things I am sure they already know are bigger issues.  we already have auger hand zombies 2 types of exploding zombies and a constant need to replant  a garden.  could we get some farm animals to raise we already get packs of wolves and dogs to attack or a few bears.

why not introduce food poisonings for items that sit around in you inventory for so long ?  because the game should feel so zombie survival real that people dont even want to play it anymore because it's getting to much like real life and less like a game you would play for fun at that point ? 

eating a can of beans or cat food should run the risk of depleting water and health. you have that burnt meat that makes you deplete water already. the problem I am seeing is there "Are" ways to balance the food and water issue already. what I am looking at right now with these changes are two things. 

How I play the game is not seen as a valid way of playing.  and  two I likely need to find a new game to play.  as for now I know I will not be updating the game. unless it actually get out of Alpha to a finished game product to give it a real test as an actual game. as things sit I dont think i want to sink any more time into a game that already as hard as life is right now.  

in closing I thank the dev's that actually made the game fun up until auger hand zombies where I was told " dont build under ground " because I like living like a dwarf. 

so funny thing the wife said to me during our morning coffee made me realize why I'm liking 7 days less and less it no longer "feels" like a Sandbox game it feels like a very bad RPG without a story. I think I understand what the cause of it is now that I think about it. a Sandbox Game shouldn't need me to "adopt a new playstyle" I should be able to play the game how I want and have player agency. With the constant "your not playing the game how we want you to play it" updates and changes where players air the concerns about their player agency being remove the more the game isn't a SandBox game  I honestly think this is why the game updates we keep getting just make's playing the game a chore less fun more like world or warcraft with no factions.  I honestly think the game no longer feels like a sand box when your told by dev's that how you like to play in a sand box game where how you like to play is always punished or told to adopt a new way or being forced to play in away you don't find fun but its how they want you to play. that's just not a sandbox anymore. Go figure it takes the wife pointing it out for me to see it.

2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Most sandboxes (except for total sandboxes like Gerrys Mod) still have rules the player has to adapt to. For example you can't just sink into the ground or hover in the sky in this game. Zombies can kill you so you need to fight or hide from them. I could go on and on giving examples

If you want complete freedom you have to activate god mode and creative mode, otherwise there are still lots of rules.

Do you even avoid secluded POIs in the wilderness (there are lots of those too) ?

I have tried to avoid them before and yes there are a lot of them. my favorite thing to do was to bore into a mountain and just dig out large tunnels and such.  get crafty with a stone axe and carved a stone dwarf statue.  but then auger hand zombies became a thing and that style of play something I could no longer do.  I was quite happy being able to create my own under world. and with every update it just seems like less of a Sandbox game and more like a RPG with no story. I left for a while came back cause some friends asked me to play with them. A lot has changed from 17.  I used to love this game now ... eh just feels very forced into "only one way to play" with the next update 

@sinpathic: everyone is entitled to play as they like. However, you should consider that the game is developed by devs who want to put in it their own vision and not the player's. So, my suggestion is to use mods to "correct" whatever you don't like and have fun. That's why the devs made the game to be easily moddable in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

@sinpathic: everyone is entitled to play as they like. However, you should consider that the game is developed by devs who want to put in it their own vision and not the player's. So, my suggestion is to use mods to "correct" whatever you don't like and have fun. That's why the devs made the game to be easily moddable in the first place.

there's mods for the game? well that could change things considerably. got any suggestion for places to get those ? 

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Yes. Have a look over here: https://7daystodiemods.com/

Ew.  Just ew.

...you linked a site that simply parses the forum *we are actually on* and does it so slow that it creates support issues because people are not getting updated mod info.

Ignore him new guy.  

Check the Mods section here. 

...and if you stumble across Nexus then be forewarned that their mod installer (vortex) can break mods, so install all mods manually.

Or use Sphereii's mod launcher.