Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

... literally every race on the planet has been enslaved by some other race, so literally no one should be "more" offended than the next.  

It is ridiculous to hide that fact by removing words that hurt someone's feelings ... correction, that someone SAYS hurts someone's feelings.

Words have meanings.  Hell "code overlord" might as well say "code master".  The connotation to slavery is much stronger with "overlord" than it is "master". 

Ponder that.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, Code_Ovrld said:

Dang bro and I was going to play your mods.

Look, I get and even appreciate that you aren't acting too entitled, and that your request is very politely made, but we as a people have to stop perpetuating this idea that everyone must be catered to and the English language should be butchered to accommodate x group of people that isn't even asking for it.

Hell we can't even use the word "@%$#" anymore in the *bread* industry.  Where it has a legitimate use!  We can't describe people anymore, we can't refer to biology.  All in the name of what?

It's just getting ridiculous.  In this fevered attempt to make everyone feel better all we are doing is removing literal history and self actualizing our worst parts of humanity by pretending it doesn't exist through literal censorship.

Instead, we should be learning and embracing our worst parts so that we can face the reality of it, instead of making it some abstract construct with no real definitions because we aren't allowed to use words anymore. 

Omg.  Did the forum filter just remove a reference to a word that means "to slow down the growth of"?

...this is exactly what I mean. 

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

Look, I get and even appreciate that you aren't acting too entitled, and that your request is very politely made, but we as a people have to stop perpetuating this idea that everyone must be catered to and the English language should be butchered to accommodate x group of people that isn't even asking for it.

Hell we can't even use the word "@%$#" anymore in the *bread* industry.  Where it has a legitimate use!  We can't describe people anymore, we can't refer to biology.  All in the name of what?

It's just getting ridiculous.  In this fevered attempt to make everyone feel better all we are doing is removing literal history and self actualizing our worst parts of humanity by pretending it doesn't exist through literal censorship.

Instead, we should be learning and embracing our worst parts so that we can face the reality of it, instead of making it some abstract construct with no real definitions because we aren't allowed to use words anymore. 

Omg.  Did the forum filter just remove a reference to a word that means "to slow down the growth of"?

...this is exactly what I mean. 

Not really. The forum filter is just a lazy way to lessen the impact of flames immediately and in the long term. If you were talking about bread and obviously used the filtered word to mean "slow down" circumventing the filter would not get you in trouble (in my view, I can only guess that the opinion of the other moderators about this is similar). 

What that movement wants is to abolish the word "master" in all its meanings. On the ground that it hurts people or improves society. I normally would add a few question marks to the previous sentence but I said I would not comment 😎 😁

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Roland said:

Let's bring this conversation to a close now while it is still pretty benign. We don't allow political discussions because they are off topic and quickly become toxic. A request was made and an answer given and that is it. Done.

Let's get back to #JarGate ;)

51 minutes ago, Keyller76 said:

Hello,

Do you plan to improve the Electricity system?

For example, on a battery bank I don't understand why I can't connect both a Solar Station and a Gas Generator at same time.

I could use the Solar Station most of the time, and when needed recharge the batteries with gas.

If the system would be too efficient, you could add a risk of overvoltage that would damage the batteries, for example. Or add a new transformator block to allow connect multiple energy source...

And for aesthetic reasons, allow to put electric wires directly in the block, maybe with another tool. But if the block is destroyed, then the wire is cut.

Thank you :)

Now you can connect the solar panel to the battery pack.From 4 to 22, power will come from the sun, and from 22 to 4 from batteries.During the day, the batteries charge themselves.Everything switches automatically.Why do you need a generator in this circuit?

21 hours ago, alexd said:

(Many are now saying that drinking 8 glasses of water is not needed in real life. Which if that's what the game is trying to get me to do, I don't realistically do that but that's

probably a whole different discussion.)

They are saying you don't need 8 glasses of water, not that you don't need around that in fluids.  They are saying now that as long as you are getting enough fluids, including through things like fruits and vegetables as well as any other drinks, it is all you need.  Though water is still a good thing to drink. 😁

I do think that the amount of food and drink needed in the game is excessive... especially food.  The amount of food eaten let day in the game, at least until you get the better cooked foods, is probably around 10,000 calories in real life, which is insane.  That said, I understand the game reason for this as it gives reason to eat better food and drink better drinks in order to reduce the amount you need.  Not to mention perks to reduce food and drink usage.  Overall, it is a pain in the beginning, but has no real impact later and I don't expect the changes to make much real difference.

20 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I do think that the amount of food and drink needed in the game is excessive... especially food.  The amount of food eaten let day in the game, at least until you get the better cooked foods, is probably around 10,000 calories in real life, which is insane.  That said, I understand the game reason for this as it gives reason to eat better food and drink better drinks in order to reduce the amount you need.  Not to mention perks to reduce food and drink usage.  Overall, it is a pain in the beginning, but has no real impact later and I don't expect the changes to make much real difference.

I always find myself hardly ever lacking food or water and am welcoming the change.  Would love to see the health points given when eating food be removed. Make medical items useful again.  After first day or two, never have to worry about health anymore.

2 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Now you can connect the solar panel to the battery pack.From 4 to 22, power will come from the sun, and from 22 to 4 from batteries.During the day, the batteries charge themselves.Everything switches automatically.Why do you need a generator in this circuit?

Why should I be prevented from doing so?

I may not have enough solar panels to fully recharge the batteries. So I could supplement with a generator.

Yes, once you get going, food and water are easy and I really don't expect this change to impact that other than perhaps extending the lack for another day or so.  I do like getting rid of glass jars as after the first game or two when I'd fill them with murky water, I never use them anymore even in new games.

9 hours ago, Damolann said:

Probably because in every game there are those who consider themselves completionists and MUST have all the recipes, skills, etc. themselves.  It's also nice not having to wait until someone in your group logs on to make something if you die and lose it  or to make it for you in the first place.  People have lives that don't revolve around games so the one person who can make that best item might not be on for a couple days.

Well the good news is that you will still find mags of the type that you’ve already completed so you can still gift them and sell them. The bonus drops off but that doesn’t mean you won’t still find them as often as any other title. 

As for having to wait for someone to make something you can’t for you, what do people do now? Do people use up skill points to duplicate what teammates have already done just to not have to wait for them to be online?  In our group the high level crafter makes a bunch and sticks them in a chest. 

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

I do think that the amount of food and drink needed in the game is excessive... especially food.

The problem here is that nobody disclosed how long they’ve modified their days to be. Personally, I think the rate of hunger and dehydration fit best with 40 minute days but are not particularly unbalanced with the default 60 minute days. 

Anyone who complains about how much food and water they have to consume daily while playing 120 or longer days isn’t being mindful of how ridiculously easy the game would become if hunger and thirst were dilated to match the time dilation while the player’s ability to move and act and get things done all remains the same. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Well the good news is that you will still find mags of the type that you’ve already completed so you can still gift them and sell them. The bonus drops off but that doesn’t mean you won’t still find them as often as any other title. 

As for having to wait for someone to make something you can’t for you, what do people do now? Do people use up skill points to duplicate what teammates have already done just to not have to wait for them to be online?  In our group the high level crafter makes a bunch and sticks them in a chest. 

The problem here is that nobody disclosed how long they’ve modified their days to be. Personally, I think the rate of hunger and dehydration fit best with 40 minute days but are not particularly unbalanced with the default 60 minute days. 

Anyone who complains about how much food and water they have to consume daily while playing 120 or longer days isn’t being mindful of how ridiculously easy the game would become if hunger and thirst were dilated to match the time dilation while the player’s ability to move and act and get things done all remains the same. 

I am not disputing what you say regarding gameplay. As I mentioned, I understand it from a gameplay perspective.  But regardless of the game speed, a day is still 24 hours and people typically aren't eating 10,000 calories a day.  Even in the game, once you start eating even mid level cooked food (50+ food value), you are eating a more realistic amount.  It is only in the early game where it is a crazy amount.

Although I don't suggest making this change, it would have made more sense to have all food, cooked or not, have a realistic or semi realistic food value such that eating a can of salmon would fill you up for at least 6-8 hours and the same for eating spaghetti.  Then you could have the better cooked food offer benefits uncooked food does not - healing, stamina, etc.  Again, I am not suggesting changing this.  It's just a comment on how it would make more sense.  I'm fine with it as is. I just think it's a crazy amount of food early game. 😁

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

It is only in the early game where it is a crazy amount.

You're assuming that all the meat that went into the cook pot came out of the cook pot. I always felt like the early game food preparation (including harvesting) abstracts a lot of waste and plenty of charring that must be scraped off using rudimentary tools and having rudimentary experience with cooking.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

eating a can of salmon would fill you up for at least 6-8 hours

As I mentioned, it does fill you up for at least 6-8 hours of game time if you play on the 40-minute days setting. The longer day settings are going to make it feel less true to life because hydration and fullness are on realtime timers so that with 40-minute days you get a meal lasting most of your game day whereas with 120 minute days you'll need as many meals as a hobbit.

9 hours ago, Roland said:

I play with 120 min days, as nights are long and full of terrors, just as I love them. The hunger and thirst rates are nice. Realistic? well.... I eat 3 times a day to the fullest, 4 or 5 with a full workload and not usually walking except for strategic reasons. The trick I use is always staying hungry and thirsty right until the hp-losing threshold, then I eat a bit, which gives me time to find food, and as for water I did always have it full in a20....I gather that will be trickier now in a21, which I LOVE.

I'm an extreme advocate for 240 and 480 min days. Some players can extend their gameplays for thousands of days and a 2 hour horde night is just... yeah, hardcore.

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I play with 120 min days, as nights are long and full of terrors, just as I love them. The hunger and thirst rates are nice. Realistic? well.... I eat 3 times a day to the fullest, 4 or 5 with a full workload and not usually walking except for strategic reasons. The trick I use is always staying hungry and thirsty right until the hp-losing threshold, then I eat a bit, which gives me time to find food, and as for water I did always have it full in a20....I gather that will be trickier now in a21, which I LOVE.

I'm an extreme advocate for 240 and 480 min days. Some players can extend their gameplays for thousands of days and a 2 hour horde night is just... yeah, hardcore.

if you modify one of the user options settings i forgot where they are but you can have any custom day intervals you like 

On 9/30/2022 at 4:34 PM, Guppycur said:

Naw, you bake all of the variants into the animation then just turn the meshes on and off at spawn.

So I'd take a base zombie, give it a pink jacket.  Then I'd add a blue jacket.  I'd rig it with both on.

During spawn, I'd decide to show no jacket, the pink one, or the blue one.

...this is the method I use.

There's probably a *much* better method I'm simply not aware of. 

...but since I'm using the same mesh for the jackets, it's just the texture that gets added.

Can probably do some cool shader stuff in code on the jacket to achieve the same effect without the extra textures. 

This is by the way the worst method you would do this. Not only you load unused meshes that occupy the game memory by disabling the unused ones, but you still keep them refferenced so they will not be garbage collected. You would have to use some sort of pointer or adress where the mesh is stored to load these assets directly to the mesh renderer. Either way, this would be the ONLY correct way to go, it would break the repeating along the entire game world and make the game more "alive", pun intended.

For the shaders, yes, but it would look weird as do the currently existent weapon colors. Different textures would always have to be involved. (Flannel pattern, circles, stripes etc.) Do you remember farcry textures? They use tiled textures over lowres ones. That is the MOST correct way to handle textures. They are in result 1024*1024 and some 512*512, but ingame they look like one BIG 4096 texture.

Still, meshes occupy much less space than textures, so texture streaming is the actual most required way to go, but i believe they already use this system?

I tried to reach the devs, was interestes in a gig but noone answered. Well i quess they dont have any problems of their own...

13 hours ago, Roland said:

which is why I still think the dew collectors should produce water based on a fixed irl time (like crops) and not based on game day duration.

3 hours ago, Jugom said:

which is why I still think the dew collectors should produce water based on a fixed irl time (like crops) and not based on game day duration.

What gave you the impression that they don’t? I’m pretty sure every timer in the game is real time based and not game time based. At least I can’t think of one that isn’t. Without looking at the dew collector code I’m 99% certain it is on a real-time timer rather than the water appearing at say 10pm every day.

58 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

I remember from one of the recent dev diaries there were talks of a dynamic encounter system is this still planned for sometime?

As far as I know. It is basically the twitch integration system that allows viewers to cause encounters to happen to the streamer. They just need to write a manager that will be able to randomly trigger those events during the game.  Hopefully none of the silly twitch events though…

Of course, this all depends on whether they have time to do it. It is also very possible this game only gets the twitch integration and the next game ends up with the random encounter manager….

8 hours ago, Blake_ said:

The trick I use is always staying hungry and thirsty right until the hp-losing threshold, then I eat a bit, which gives me time to find food, and as for water I did always have it full in a20..

This brings up a good point. Some players let their meters fall to the point where they first get penalized and then eat/drink to fill up and they don’t feel like they are having to eat/drink all the time. Others can’t stand to see anything less than a full meter so they are constantly eating to maintain meters at 100%. This is also something people don’t usually disclose when they complain about how often the game requires them to eat and drink. 

8 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I’m not an extreme advocate for shorter days but I do enjoy doing a playthrough from time to time at 30 or 40 minute days. I love the time pressure and the more realistic representation of how much work I would be able to get done in an actual day. Fewer daily quests are possible and often you get caught in the middle of one at day’s end which makes for a spicy ending and return trip. For that reason I never play at settings longer than the default because of how cheesy it feels to me having so much time to prepare for horde night. 

Sure, horde night itself is shorter but in my experience most base designs by experienced players can easily repell a horde whether it last 30 minutes or 2 hours  or 4 hours.  This is especially true if you have given yourself soooooo much extra time to be able to over design your base for the first horde. My horde nights are shorter, true, but I’m also not gorging myself on XP and loot bags like someone who is playing a two hour horde night is. I get fewer rewards and less time to repair and prepare for the next one. 

My horde nights are shorter but still exciting and just as it starts to feel a bit monotonous the sun comes up and it ends. 

Hmmm…..maybe I am a strong advocate for shorter days. 🤪