Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 9/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, FramFramson said:

I put up a post in the Pimp Dreams section where I asked them to add 1-2 more fonts to the letter block category, so that not every building has the exact same damn signage font. With how nicely upgraded the POIs are, this really really stands out.

Level design has been talking about that for a long time and have some ideas proposed.  Nothing concrete planned yet but hopefully in a future release.

28 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Level design has been talking about that for a long time and have some ideas proposed.  Nothing concrete planned yet but hopefully in a future release.

Thanks for that info.  A few additional fonts are definitely needed.  Especially something that looks painted (brush strokes) for the wooden signs since the font used on those right now doesn't look like it belongs on there.  And more font options for the large block letters would also be nice.  It would be amazing if there were an option to have neon block letters that appear to be a single neon tube and are lit up (perhaps with power, though it'd be fine as a POI-only sign that is lit without power).

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Given who they are and their sense of humor, I'm surprised TFP hasn't ever implemented zombie rabbits. They could be the Head Crabs of the game!!

In one of the dev streams it was (AFAIK) jokingly said that there would be zombie squirrels. I think Fataal said it wouldn't be that hard to add.

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Awesome! The most basic ones I thought of adding were some kind of "fancy" serif font (something like Times New Roman or Garamond) and a "goofy" (lol comic sans) or brush stroke font (as Riamus suggested). Just adding those two those would go a looooonnng way to covering most existing POIs.

Additional basic fonts could be one of the many Helvetica-type fonts (most-used font in the world!), a military "stencil", or a classic "Wild West" type of font (huge amount of variation in these though).

But even one more would be great. Hope we'll see it eventually.

49 minutes ago, beerfly said:

This one reminds me..have traps for chickens or rabbits have been discussed or in a plan ? Or for a snake, not large ones ? 

would probably be considered redundant as some of the existing zombie-oriented traps also catch rabbits and chickens

1 hour ago, Dreyseth said:

would probably be considered redundant as some of the existing zombie-oriented traps also catch rabbits and chickens

Yeah, but at some point they disappear and what I had in mind was to keep them trapped till skinned and meated in inventory. But that would bring another problems of how animals act and so on I guess, so anyway. 

2 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Yeah, but at some point they disappear and what I had in mind was to keep them trapped till skinned and meated in inventory. But that would bring another problems of how animals act and so on I guess, so anyway. 

Just make the trap

like the water collectors. Set trap then wait a day or so and boom there’s a rabbit.

10 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Just make the trap

like the water collectors. Set trap then wait a day or so and boom there’s a rabbit.

Food in survival game shouldn`t be that easy. Hunting is in it`s proper way to be balanced till gold version of 7dtd. But not as a vending machine in some form. 

What I meant was just randomly placed thing called a trap, and if an animal goes through it.. we know, if not, we move on and look for food and hunt. 

Not something that replaces hunting, just a small part of it. 

Also, meat at some point is pretty common, so not exactly an exclusive idea from my brain cell at the moment, so lets move on :)

43 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Food in survival game shouldn`t be that easy. Hunting is in it`s proper way to be balanced till gold version of 7dtd. But not as a vending machine in some form. 

What I meant was just randomly placed thing called a trap, and if an animal goes through it.. we know, if not, we move on and look for food and hunt. 

Not something that replaces hunting, just a small part of it. 

Also, meat at some point is pretty common, so not exactly an exclusive idea from my brain cell at the moment, so lets move on :)

I like that idea on paper, I have simply learned that either the let’s call it a true trap method will either not yield an animal or barely yield anything and it likely will require more work that it should to have animals be properly trapped.

Simple timer works fine but it is not particularly exciting and neither does standing near a trap waiting for it to spring.

6 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Just make the trap

I assume zombies don't chase rabbits and chickens because the zombie can't move fast enough to catch them. I mean, the zombies are happy to each rabbits and chickens when they're dead. I'd like to think zombies would eat rabbits and chickens in traps, living or dead.

It is sometimes a fun diversion to take a sniper rifle to some elevated position, shoot a rabbit, and then shoot any zombie that goes for the corpse. In that vein, an animal trap would make for a nice xp generator, a bit more chill than lighting a dozen camp fires and attracting screamers.

6 hours ago, beerfly said:

Food in survival game shouldn`t be that easy. Hunting is in it`s proper way to be balanced till gold version of 7dtd.

Yes, I agree with this.

10 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Agreed time to give some info about it.

people on Reddit as of last month were speculating A22 December 2023. I assume they haven’t been around 7D2D that long.

Reddit often likes to set up the conditions of their own outrage....

18 hours ago, Gamida said:

In one of the dev streams it was (AFAIK) jokingly said that there would be zombie squirrels. I think Fataal said it wouldn't be that hard to add.

Rabbit or Squirrel matters not. Only the silliness of it matters as a knuckle rub to Matt115. Faatal could even announce that the team was seriously thinking about adding skeletons and additional raunchy corpses but instead went with zombie squirrels at the last moment. ;)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Reddit often likes to set up the conditions of their own outrage....

Rabbit or Squirrel matters not. Only the silliness of it matters as a knuckle rub to Matt115. Faatal could even announce that the team was seriously thinking about adding skeletons and additional raunchy corpses but instead went with zombie squirrels at the last moment. ;)

skeletons of zombie squirrels that can be tamed will suit everyone :bounce:

I can see animal snares and other simple, 'boy scout' type traps to be what most survivalist would initially rely upon until they could obtain both the weaponry and skills to hunt.  Rabbits and chickens should be MUCH harder - nearly impossible - to kill via any weapon type during the early stages.  Initial traps would have a lower sucess chance, higher probability of losing bait/broken.  Scavenge-> Trap -> Hunt is a logical progression.

Edited by MichaelL. (see edit history)

20 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

recent fb post about new player models

May be an image of 3 people, artillery and text

why didn't we already start to bring up weird conspiracy theories about why the face of the hoarder is blacked out, and why the guy next to him has a floating hat over his way too short neck

This looks so bad.... and ofc nerd outfit... now i'm sad so much

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

Why? What is it that's so ugly/bad to you? :suspicious:

1. Gogle man is fine 

2. looks like someone was trying to make bootleg of RE 4 trader.  short pants doesn't have sense.  backpack? this same thing  -  it could be just mountain backpack and much more 

3. is fine

4. why this farmer outfit is so bloody? it doesn't have sense for living person. You know what could wear farmer? just...  denim overralls, hat but normal basketball.. geez it's not 60's anymore,gloves and shoes are fine.

5. this military outfit doesn't have any sense. You know what could be suit perfectly? reused zombie soldier outfit just undestroyed version.

6. nerd armor is just cringe. Who was thinking it's  good idea to add something like this ?

7. Hello Space pirate!.. oh this is not 90's movie about 2234? damn  - Gasmask is good idea just... change into normal military gasmark. Don't worry about licenses because you can add Vietnam period mask and it will be good enough and much better that this

Sumarry - most of them looks like taken from few diffrent games