Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Actually, cooking and strength make sense... @madmole explained it, the first time it was introduced. Whoever does fitness and training with weights will need to know exactly what type of diet and recipes to use to have better performance. If I recall correctly, that's the reason Master Chef was put in the STR tree.

That's... a good point. It could also fit under Fortitude by that logic, which would make it fit with other perks like Iron Gut and Rule 1: Cardio.

41 minutes ago, Crypted said:

I think the more people that play it the better because me personally I want to experience the game first hand instead of getting my information/opinions based on a stream. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the TFP picking a streamer, if so then what if someone doesn't like watching anything from that streamer (so they would just wait until they get their hands on the A21 update rather than watching that stream).

Also, the more people that play the Alpha 21 release right away instead of just a streamer playing it will mean more opinions (likes and dislikes) so this will let the TFP know what everyone loves or hates about the update.

This topic has already been raised here several times.A large mass of people evaluate the game according to some simple criteria, abstract ooooptimization, comparison with other games, we want this, we don't want this, add a unicorn, remove hunger otherwise I will eat glass.I'm not saying that people's opinions are not important.It's like a kindergarten and streamers act as babysitters.
Streamers accumulate opinions, filter them and make them more understandable for developers.If you listen to everyone, you can go crazy.Then appear on the sleeping bag and go crazy again.

by the way, developers, how do you like the idea of adding rgb zombies.rgb is gaming. which means immediately +10 fps on any settings! 😄

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Crypted said:

I think the more people that play it the better because me personally I want to experience the game first hand instead of getting my information/opinions based on a stream. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the TFP picking a streamer, if so then what if someone doesn't like watching anything from that streamer (so they would just wait until they get their hands on the A21 update rather than watching that stream). 

Also, the more people that play the Alpha 21 release right away instead of just a streamer playing it will mean more opinions (likes and dislikes) so this will let the TFP know what everyone loves or hates about the update. 

give me a bucket, im gonna be sick

4 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

With the learn by reading system, will killing Zombies still give Xp?

I did search but I could not find anything.

Yes.  Nothing has changed for XP.  This only affects learning crafting skills (schematics and recipes).

5 hours ago, Crypted said:

I think the more people that play it the better because me personally I want to experience the game first hand instead of getting my information/opinions based on a stream.

I agree and so does TFP. That's why the streamer event is only 2 days out of the 30-60 days A21 is likely to sit in experimental and then the 300 - 500 days that the game will sit in stable with various 21.x updates being released.

You and everyone else will literally get months and months of time to experience A21 firsthand and report any information/opinions you develop about it. Next to that amount of time, 2 days is nothing.

Just think about the fact that this same A21 version you want to get so badly right now is the exact same version that you won't care about in a year's time (give or take) when the streamers are playing A22 for a couple of days.... ;) 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Crypted said:

You don't like to watch streamers? Welcome to the club, I don't watch streams or youtubers as well. Not only for 7d2d, I don't watch any streamers. But I understand the bussiness decision TFP made to attract attention and word of mouth. For a 10 year old game they need streamers and something of a release event so the game is not forgotten

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

11 hours ago, DegenD91 said:

It is unfair to have streamers have access first. Understandable that the patch may not be prepared for release yet, but restricting many other users from accessing the content and reporting bugs is way less effective. More eyes the better when looking for problems. The game will get exposure naturally if it's optimized and fun to play. I've spread the word to many people who otherwise wouldn't have heard about it. I like this game and want it to be successful because I think it has a ton of potential. Not to mention what it already has accomplished. I dislike what is happening in lieu of an actual release, but I am really looking forward to A21 and the new take on progression, combat, and survival.

Just see it like a closed beta for the Alpha and you are not part of it. I bet you never cried that it's unfair that a closed beta exist to test the game. Streamer weekend is exactly the same

18 hours ago, Crypted said:

Aren't you a youtuber or a streamer, if so then of course your fine with it. 

I'm neither and I am fine with it.  Regardless if there is or is not a streamer weekend, the experimental branch gets released for the mass public on a Monday.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:59 PM, Jost Amman said:

I think he's talking about Tracer Rounds, maybe? :confused2:

No, just tracers for better readability of the gunfights, I know in reality only tracer rounds leave a trace, but it would help to better understand the position of the shooters.

This might be a silly question, but it keeps coming up in the RNG worlds I generate. When will we be able to select spawn points. In the last 10k rng I generated, no matter what name I used to start a game I always started in the exact same spot. That is a waste for a 10k map. Every generated map should come with around 5 starting points at a minimum for safe areas and at least an option to start in Desert or Snow or even wasteland as a toggle. Yet, I find myself always starting in noob areas and even with creative name changes it is very hard to change the only starting location. 

Is this a thing or am I the only one wanting to have a choice when we start, either by map location or biome or skull rating? 

Probably way to late for this to make it in alpha 21 but just wondering why this isn't a thing for RNG?

I have just short of 5000 hours playing this game and starting new and different games on the same map is a thing for me. Only being able to start in the same spot is just wrong and broken.

Chris

10 minutes ago, wwiiogre said:

This might be a silly question, but it keeps coming up in the RNG worlds I generate. When will we be able to select spawn points. In the last 10k rng I generated, no matter what name I used to start a game I always started in the exact same spot. That is a waste for a 10k map. Every generated map should come with around 5 starting points at a minimum for safe areas and at least an option to start in Desert or Snow or even wasteland as a toggle. Yet, I find myself always starting in noob areas and even with creative name changes it is very hard to change the only starting location. 

Is this a thing or am I the only one wanting to have a choice when we start, either by map location or biome or skull rating? 

Probably way to late for this to make it in alpha 21 but just wondering why this isn't a thing for RNG?

I have just short of 5000 hours playing this game and starting new and different games on the same map is a thing for me. Only being able to start in the same spot is just wrong and broken.

Chris

Multiple spawns use to be provided, iirc. This was reduced to 1 to accommodate group play because most of the first day was spent trying to meet up. The spawn point is also limited to the forest biome as it is the easiest and plays into the intended progression for the player by working up to harder biomes.

It would be nice to have an advanced option to customize the spawn point but for now you could edit it yourself in the XML.

Edited by jorbascrumps
typo (see edit history)

guys, please, who can answer me these few questions. I just noticed an interesting mechanic, according to which, if you shoot off a zombie's hands, it will start biting, and it looks pretty good. And tell me, do the developers have plans to add animation of zombie bites and more attacks with teeth rather than hands? After all, this task is to feast on the player's flesh, and not to hammer the player with his hands? And one more question - will it be possible with the appearance of bandits to extract human meat and blood from them and from the killed players? To, for example, eat it or create a zombie bait? I will be grateful to everyone who answers.

Thanks jorba, 

But I don't code or program so that is right out. I have been around playing the game since it used to start you in wasteland sometimes. 

Just seems this should be a toggle. Multiplayer should have a toggle to spawn at a specific spot for teams. Single player should have an advanced toggle or choice to spawn either by map coords or biome. 

Especially since trader's will no longer be spawning at the edge of cities automatically but could spawn in the wilderness or even inside towns or cities. Or I hope at a crossroads like some of the new poi crossroads I have seen. 

Just wondering if this is even on the Fun Pimps radar. 

Only reason I am asking is it really bothered me to the point I deleted a rng 10k world because it only had a single spawn point. Believe it or not it was 3.9km from the nearest trader and literally right next to wasteland. But no matter how many times I tried I could not get the rng to spawn me anywhere else. On most rng worlds I can use random player names to get random starts. Generally I can find 3-5 spawn points by being creative with my player name. 

But unfortunately I hit the rng wall and found a map that there was only one spawn point ever. That to me is very broken for a random world and should be part of world generation or at least on the board as a choice when you spawn a new player into a game. It should always be a part of single player.

Chris

37 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

Multiple spawns use to be provided, iirc. This was reduced to 1 to accommodate group play because most of the first day was spent trying to meet up. The spawn point is also limited to the forest biome as it is the easiest and plays into the intended progression for the player by working up to harder biomes.

It would be nice to have an advanced option to customize the spawn point but for now you could edit it yourself in the XML.

Was this a change in one of the 20.x patches?  Because in my A20 test runs, I had to manually remove some of the extra spawn points if I wanted to spawn in the same location every time.

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

Was this a change in one of the 20.x patches?  Because in my A20 test runs, I had to manually remove some of the extra spawn points if I wanted to spawn in the same location every time.

I thought it was back in an earlier update (maybe 17?). It's entirely possible I'm misremembering as I haven't played much recently.

1 hour ago, wwiiogre said:

But I don't code or program so that is right out. I have been around playing the game since it used to start you in wasteland sometimes. 

wwiiogre:

Are you changing your GAME (not WORLD) name?  There are usually numerous starting points generated (see Further info below), but if you use the same name it will use the same starting location.

I just tested myself and the same name starts in the same place, and different names start in different places.  For the same world seed.

Further info here:  https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/4/3196991412355615810/

37 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

I thought it was back in an earlier update (maybe 17?). It's entirely possible I'm misremembering as I haven't played much recently.

Its a bug, in a20.6/20.7 when playing on a generated world theres a chance that it will not generate any spawn points for some reason so the game puts you at 0,0 not all rwg maps do this furthermore proving that I don't believe it's an intended thing.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but did TFP say anything about animal spawns? Because they are a bit crazy like in the wasteland there are 1-2 zombears at all times. its a bit annoying having @%$#ed off ammo sinks running around constantly. (thank you for your time my fellow dysentery enjoyers)

4 minutes ago, klude45 said:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but did TFP say anything about animal spawns? Because they are a bit crazy like in the wasteland there are 1-2 zombears at all times. its a bit annoying having @%$#ed off ammo sinks running around constantly. (thank you for your time my fellow dysentery enjoyers)

Only thing I know of potential changes is the snow biome predator spawns are being reduced i personally think the wasteland will stay the same since its supposed to be difficult there after all it is the end game biome but that's my take.

15 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

With the learn by reading system, will killing Zombies still give Xp?

I did search but I could not find anything.

Why wouldn't they still give xp?

15 hours ago, Roland said:

Just think about the fact that this same A21 version you want to get so badly right now is the exact same version that you won't care about in a year's time (give or take) when the streamers are playing A22 for a couple of days.... ;) 

Oop, careful there. People might come out of the woodwork about TFP saying there'd be much shorter dev periods between A21 and A22. ;)

3 hours ago, wwiiogre said:

But I don't code or program so that is right out.

Just so you know, adding spawn points is very easy and takes no knowledge of coding or programming.  Open your world's folder before creating a new game.  You will find a file called spawnpoints.xml.  Open this in Notepad or some similar program.  It will look something like this*:

<spawnpoints>
    <spawnpoint position="2564,38,-3296.8" rotation="0,319.2504,0"/>
    <spawnpoint position="2563.111,37.99912,-1444" rotation="0,91.24064,0"/>
    <spawnpoint position="3199.201,35.3826,-3060.412" rotation="0,357.6851,0"/>
    <spawnpoint position="3079.219,36.08078,-3156" rotation="0,309.6931,0"/>
    <spawnpoint position="2564,38,-2887.2" rotation="0,28.46964,0"/>
    <spawnpoint position="3259.824,35.37568,-3100" rotation="0,14.75219,0"/>
</spawnpoints>

* If you run into a bug with it, it may be empty.

Each line is a spawn point.  You care about the 3 numbers following position.  In the first line, those are 2464, 38, -3298.8.  The first number is your East/West coordinate.  Negative is West of the center of the map and positive is East of the center of the map.  The middle number is elevation and as far as I know is only important if your spawn point is in a location with multiple floors so you can appear on a specific floor.  If out in the wilderness, you should always appear on ground level regardless of this value.  The values generated by the game will be the actual terrain heights at those locations but you can really just pick something and not worry much about it.  The third value is your North/South coordinate.  Negative is South and positive is North.  You can get these values if you look at the map in the game or just pick positions you think will be good based on the preview when generating the map.

The second set of numbers for rotation aren't really important.  The middle number is just what direction you will face in a 360 degree circle.  Unless you want someone to see something specific when they spawn, this really doesn't matter and can be all 0s if you want.  Add as many spawn points as you want.

Click Save and start a new game using that world/map.

As a note, you can use only whole numbers (integers) for the values if you want.  The game uses floating point numbers but it really isn't important.  You aren't going to notice if you're a quarter block to the side because you used 1000 instead of 1000.25.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)