Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

27 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

It feels a bit too contrived. 

I don't disagree with you but, at the same time, many games that require you drink liquids on a regular basis don't even give you the opportunity to drink water from any lake or river or whatever.  This is just how gameplay works.  Not everything is realistic and that's not a bad thing.  I don't know that this change will be any good but I haven't tried it and I could be wrong.  I'll wait until I see how it works.  But if it comes down to it, I don't ever carry water back from water sources as it is even with glass jars.  It is a very rare thing for me to fill a glass jar.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, LordMiG said:

Every time TFP drop a new alpha I go on Youtube and watch this video. Just to see how far we have come. I'm not sure what alpha this is from. Alpha 4 oder 5? That brings back so many good memories. 👌

What version was this?  

1 hour ago, DanLW said:

You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/XRBE1z8qvSc

They are 8 videos I to their "Survival Logic" series.

Yeah, I have already watched them, but what I mean is something specific to 7D2D, like they did with other games (like The Witcher Logic, or Red Dead Redemption Logic). :)

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

On 4/25/2023 at 2:20 PM, cmills said:

I know that since this is a vowel game it is very cpu intensive. With all of the high res textures of a21 and memory requirements, that come with it, would the game benefit more from a processor with higher clock speeds or a greater amount of cache? 

A21 actually uses less RAM from optimizations, which was needed for console and those changes are ongoing. We have also been using more props for items and those can stream their textures, so potentially better on VRAM or at least more flexible use of VRAM.

I would go for higher clocks, but both would improve performance.

@faatal , now that we are approaching the programmer stream, I would like to ask if there are plans of making a few simplistic options for "player death" when creating a rwg or any map for that matter:

The thing is, the current death mechanic is a bit lenient on the food and water side, and while I'm not asking for rocket science, just more options with values like

SUSTENANCE PENALTY: "default no penalty/ 50% food&water/ 25% food&water /0%food&water" or something like that,

......coupled with another for diseases, like:

DISEASE PENALTY: "default no penalty/ maintain all diseases (but a bit reduced to allow for some time to heal)/ maintain all diseases with a lot of reduction,in the earliest of stages"

and another for XP, for example:

XP PENALTY: 25%/50%/75%/99%

While they are simple, they could work in avoiding the "I'm infected, let's die to cure my infection, abrassion, head injury and broken arms and legs, because it's too much work to find all the items to heal", Or even "I'm hungry and losing hp and thirsty and can't do things properly, let's eat glass to replenish, I'm only level 3 !!".

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

The new POIs shown in the dev stream look great!  Great work to the POI designers as well as the artists who made the new art.  Thank you for making it possible to paint windows and to have non-square glass windows!!!  A couple things I noticed if anyone cares... The fire department sign is "Fire Dep" but anytime you shorten department, it should be Dept intead of Dep.  Also, although maybe you intend this, the Italian restaurant sign says "Mamma" but usually it is spelled Mama.  Again, if that's intended, it's fine.   :)

Oh, and one other thing that is becoming more and more noticeable as we see the new artwork... the old textures are looking really out of place against the new art.  Just watching the stream and seeing the new POI, when you place the new art against many of the old textures (I'm thinking of the plain wood stairs in one of the POI as an example), it just clashes really badly.  It isn't that the textures should look pristine the way much of the art does, but they just look too low-res or low-quality in comparison.  I hope that is taken into consideration before gold because it is somewhat jarring next to the new art.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Riamus said:

The new POIs shown in the dev stream look great!  Great work to the POI designers as well as the artists who made the new art.  Thank you for making it possible to paint windows and to have non-square glass windows!!!  A couple things I noticed if anyone cares... The fire department sign is "Fire Dep" but anytime you shorten department, it should be Dept intead of Dep.  Also, although maybe you intend this, the Italian restaurant sign says "Mamma" but usually it is spelled Mama.  Again, if that's intended, it's fine.   :)

Maybe is was meant to be short for Depot and not Department.

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

Just finished watching it. Props to the POI guys, 14 new (some present ones and remodeled, some are new, thanks Mr. R :)) tier 5 ones are gonna bring another level many new words that we are gonna say while exploring them . 

Oh , and about Mamma ? 

Spoiler

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Just finished watching it. Props to the POI guys, 14 new tier 5 ones are gonna bring another level many new words that we are gonna say while exploring them . 

Just to clarify for anyone who didn't watch... that's a total of 14 tier 5, not 14 new tier 5.  And some of those are old tier 4 that were bumped to tier 5 like Red Mesa.  They listed the new tier 5 and there weren't that many new ones.  Still a good update to tier 5 regardless.

13 hours ago, sillls said:

What version was this?  

The video was made by Paul Soares Jr. on September 7th 2013. According to my kickstarter page Alpha 1.1 was released on September 13th 2013, 6 days after the video was made. So I guess the video shows the OG Build that started it all: Alpha 1. 😀

image.png.d63e7aaf7df832bbe2872d2aad294deb.png

Edited by LordMiG (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, LordMiG said:

The video was made by Paul Soares Jr. on September 7th 2013. According to my kickstarter page Alpha 1.1 was released on September 13th 2013, 6 days after the video was made. So I guess the video shows the OG Build that started it all: Alpha 1. 😀

There is this one from Joe : 

Spoiler

The game have been in so much states and no matter what, we can`t find a single reason to leave it.

P.S. Thank you, Joe ! 

38 minutes ago, LordMiG said:

1.1? Wow. I didn't even know about the game till 9.3. 

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

Oh, and one other thing that is becoming more and more noticeable as we see the new artwork... the old textures are looking really out of place against the new art.  Just watching the stream and seeing the new POI, when you place the new art against many of the old textures (I'm thinking of the plain wood stairs in one of the POI as an example), it just clashes really badly.  It isn't that the textures should look pristine the way much of the art does, but they just look too low-res or low-quality in comparison.  I hope that is taken into consideration before gold because it is somewhat jarring next to the new art.

Thanks, the art team will most likely update many of the old paint textures before gold.  The paintable "mirror" and OSB textures are a couple that come to mind as being updated for this Alpha.

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

Just to clarify for anyone who didn't watch... that's a total of 14 tier 5, not 14 new tier 5.  And some of those are old tier 4 that were bumped to tier 5 like Red Mesa.  They listed the new tier 5 and there weren't that many new ones.  Still a good update to tier 5 regardless.

The 5 new T5s:

House_modern_24

Apartments_02

Nursing_home_01

Prison_01

Prison_02

All of which are also configured to infestation quests as well (T6)

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

All of which are also configured to infestation quests as well (T6)

Very curious about this. Does it spawn different end loot when a "t6" vs a t5?
Does it show up in the trader dialogue as t5 or t6?
Is there a t6 complete reward?

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

While they are simple, they could work in avoiding the "I'm infected, let's die to cure my infection, abrassion, head injury and broken arms and legs, because it's too much work to find all the items to heal", Or even "I'm hungry and losing hp and thirsty and can't do things properly, let's eat glass to replenish, I'm only level 3 !!".

That's why I don't play in co-op.The game does not punish for death in any way.

@Laz Man, just want to say love the work you guys have done on the POIs. They look fantastic and are going to add so much to the playing experience. To me this is the best part of every alpha. I look forward to dying and getting mad from one of the traps you’ve hidden in the POI’s. 😂

The wilderness tiles that Brad showed looked amazing and will add to the experience when going from town to town (this was much needed). You may not be able to answer this, but will the roads out in the wilderness have street lines, etc. in the future? As great as the tiles tiles were, I feel they will kinda seem out of place when driving on a blah “asphalt” only road and then “bam” a 4 lane highway. I get this probably is something difficult to do going a random generated road to handcrafted, but it would definitely add the the immersion.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

[snip]

Prison_01

Prison_02

[/snip]

missed the stream, when you say prison, does this mean the old prison that got removed sometime between A18-A19, or are they both new prisons unrelated to the old one? i know a lot of people miss the old prison since it got removed—enough that modders have added it back to the POI list themselves.

oh, and since maybe you would know about this, have there been any updates to the positioning or rotation of certain decorative POI items (like for instance, more rotations on like signs, or more positioning on smaller-than-1-tile items that would otherwise sit in the center of a block—what comes to mind right now is the little white purse, or the wine bottles, or the small square trash cans. all of them could only be placed in the center of a block, which made it very frustrating sometimes when it came to decorating POIs in my personal case (not sure about anyone else lol))

edit 2: and third question since it's been on my mind, has the bug been fixed where if you enter a POI with a restore power quest attached to it, you can finally progress through the POI without needing to activate a restore power quest? theres been a few where I've had to cheat leaving or entering new areas because I couldn't activate the generator needed to open doors, which kind of sucked but I figured it was just like. an oversight or something

Edited by vergilsparda
forgot to ask another question i had on my mind sorry laz man!! (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Gronal said:

Very curious about this. Does it spawn different end loot when a "t6" vs a t5?
Does it show up in the trader dialogue as t5 or t6?
Is there a t6 complete reward?

The quests are still tier 1-5 but act like one level higher.  So no tier 6 completion reward.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

The T fell off a long time ago... :sad:

I also would agree with that. If you look at the spacing of the F in Fire and the P in Dep from the white blocks you will see there is enough room for the T to have been there.

image.png.36248eb2d59ee2321cf8ccbdc6150d43.png