Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

55 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

If it's anything like the popular mod to hide wires, then I'd suspect you'd always see the electric post wiring between posts.

I wouldn't mind if they totally got rid of electric post wires and replace that kind of trap with like an electrified floor plate or so.

Feels weird to me that Zs slowly glide through the wire without breaking it immediately...always get that terminator prison scene vibe. Feels out of place for me. 

how about a radial selector on the wiring tool that we can choose to hook up visible wires or invisible wires?

quite like the steam punk look in some designs, but dont so much like seeing wires in the field of view at the fighting positions.

either way though, i am not upset with this change, not a lot of skin in it

Not sure if this has been answered or not, there's a lot to dig through. Is there a reason the dew collectors are so big? 3x3 seems a bit ridiculous given the output. Right now the largest workstation is the chem station - 1x3. I know the Fun Pimps are currently pretty set on an output of 3 bottles of water per day, I think 2x2 would be a more reasonable size, especially if we're expected to create "farms" of collectors.

So, madmole showed us a bit of a21 in his Twitter. Castle Madmole is usually the first hint of an alpha release, and it happens roughly 2-3 months before release. So it's probably not Christmas for Experimental ,but certainly after Avatar 2 either way. Will Starfield drop before a21 stable? , I wonder.

9 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

So, madmole showed us a bit of a21 in his Twitter. Castle Madmole is usually the first hint of an alpha release, and it happens roughly 2-3 months before release. So it's probably not Christmas for Experimental ,but certainly after Avatar 2 either way. Will Starfield drop before a21 stable? , I wonder.

I don't think previous timelines apply this go around. If they're aiming for the Steam Winter Sale they must be feeling relatively confident in how it's going, especially with bandits out of the equation now.

On a side note, new paint brush model in those shots Joel showed on Twitter?

One thing that I would like to see changed about the game is the benefits for investing in attributes like fortitude, intellect and the like. 

As you might know, you have to invest in these to unlock higher ranking perks. 

But the thing is that they all these attributes do the same thing.  A better headshot. 

I would like to see a benefit for each of those attributes that relates to it. 

Like better strength means carrying more items in your backpack or hitting harder. 

Or better fortitude allows you to take more damage and not be as effected by temperature extremes. 

Yes, I know that you can get them as perks but maybe tailor it so the attributes can work as perks while unlocking the other perks themselves. 

Fallout games use something close to this if you want an example. 

On 3/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, Roland said:
  • Trader Changes
    • New Trader compounds
    • Trader inventories rebalanced with the new crafting progression
    • Removal of Secret Stash
    • Further specialization of traders and what they carry
  •  

Can someone tell me more about this?  

What are the compounds going to look like?

Trader inventories going to work with crafting. Are they saying that you have to be able to craft at that level before you can buy it?

Why remove Secret stash?  

I'm wondering if this has been addressed in A21.

At 75% hydration, we start losing 22.5% of our stamina regen, yet, absolutely nowhere does the game ever tell the player of this hidden debuff. Even the character screen provides false information saying we still have 10/sec when we actually have 7.75/sec

21 hours ago, Lord Neophyte said:

any plans on performace improvemtens for A21 ?

yes. 

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@Roland do you know if content lock has already started? Any info that you can provide will be used against the calm and quiet of the forums.

These are not the droids you’re looking for. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Doomofman said:

This may have been asked before but...

Any changes to the crawling mechanic for A21? Perhaps something to stop the zombies from suddenly starting to breakdance in the middle of combat?

Have you seen the wackiness of the crawlers when they hit water.  All of a sudden its a bunch of floating legless zombies.  Quite disturbing actually.