Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

36 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Interesting, so the work the console team are doing might bring more optimizations to the PC version that are required for console?

Yeah because the fun pimps would like have a crossplatform and for have it the pc and console version need to be the same or almost

25 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Good idea, but it would be ugly.  How about it uses that different icon atlas only in the prefab editor. 

I don't know why you think it would be ugly, wouldn't that depend on the bacground color being used?

Also I was talking about players who build, not POI designers. Though they probably could use the same feature in the prefab editor too

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Concerning the flow through: Whether a block shape has that bit set should be shown by background color in the shape UI !! For water and for shooting through.

I'm not against a background color change or a filter category but I think the blocks that have that attribute are simply any that don't fill the entire voxel volume so that water fills in all the visible space not used as well as flows past them. It may be completely intuitive which block shapes will allow water to flow in and through them.

Don't mistakenly build your underwater base walls out of bars and arrow slit blocks.... ;) 

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

I'm not against a background color change or a filter category but I think the blocks that have that attribute are simply any that don't fill the entire voxel volume so that water fills in all the visible space not used as well as flows past them. It may be completely intuitive which block shapes will allow water to flow in and through them.

Don't mistakenly build your underwater base walls out of bars and arrow slit blocks.... ;) 

No, the important use case is to show the blocks you can shoot through, water is just icing on the cake.

Or am I confusing it with the selecting-through-a-block issue? Arrow slits for example should still be shoot-through, but you can not access a dart thrower behind it.

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Concerning the flow through: Whether a block shape has that bit set should be shown by background color in the shape UI !! For water and for shooting through.

Builders need to know bullet and to a lesser extent water permeability. And now that we have thousands of blocks shapes nobody knows anymore.

An alternative to the background color could also be a small icon in a corner similar to what we have with schematics.

Better flowing water would be great however at this time I do not think it is worth the effort. I have a feeling it will be like “oh that’s cool” then we all forget about it.

I prefer the Pimps double down and finish the game up then offer some sort of reasonably priced DLC. Maybe new POIs and new Zombies.

I used to like the idea of endless betas but now I want them to finish up and move on to the next project and ideally offer a similar early access.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, meganoth said:

No, the important use case is to show the blocks you can shoot through, water is just icing on the cake.

Or am I confusing it with the selecting-through-a-block issue? Arrow slits for example should still be shoot-through, but you can not access a dart thrower behind it.

How about filter checkboxes at the top of the shapes menu for "shoot through" and "reach through"?  Check either of the boxes and it only shows you shapes with those qualities.

25 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Better flowing water would be great however at this time I do not think it is worth the effort. I have a feeling it will be like “oh that’s cool” then we all forget about it.

I prefer the Pimps double down and finish the game up then offer some sort of reasonably priced DLC. Maybe new POIs and new Zombies.

I used to like the idea of endless betas but now I want them to finish up and move on to the next project and ideally offer a similar early access.

Remember that it isn't simply for our pleasure.  As professionals and artists, they also want to offer up a technical masterpiece as their finished product. 

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I have a feeling it will be like “oh that’s cool” then we all forget about it.

Isn't that kind of the point, though? Nobody talks about how good the water is in some other games because its appearance and behavior is normal. People constantly talk about the water in 7DTD because it's noticeably bad and breaks immersion.

don't want to notice the water.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Isn't that kind of the point, though? Nobody talks about how good the water is in some other games because its appearance and behavior is normal. People constantly talk about the water in 7DTD because it's noticeably bad and breaks immersion.

don't want to notice the water.

Meh, water needs a few improvements and it will be good enough.

Just having water no longer leave divets if you dig under it or if it isn't filled full enough would need a great improvement.  That's the most noticeable issue, imo.

I also like that it will share space with other blocks and that movement suited in water will be improved.

I don't know that it really needs anything else. Having good looking waterfalls would be nice, but isn't really that important.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Just having water no longer leave divets if you dig under it or if it isn't filled full enough would need a great improvement.  That's the most noticeable issue, imo.

I also like that it will share space with other blocks and that movement suited in water will be improved.

I don't know that it really needs anything else. Having good looking waterfalls would be nice, but isn't really that important.

This is what I mean by “good enough”

16 hours ago, khzmusik said:

That's a pity. I know lots of people are looking forward to NPCs being in the game.

Out of curiosity, is the in-progress bandit code going to be shipped with the alpha, just disabled/unused? Or is all the work in a feature branch that won't even get merged into the A21 branch?

I'm asking on behalf of modders who may or may not be myself. :) 

Me too.

Disabled. Some data removed.

6 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

move on to the next project

It was my understanding from what Roland said many pages back that the next project is currently being worked on. Granted it's still in the planning and concepual phase, but even if 7DTD was done and dusted yesterday the next project would need to complete it's current planning phase to actually be worked on. There's nothing to the next project being lost by them working on water so it works as they intend it to. 

I want the team to work on what they need to & want to so it's the best it can be. That way when it is finished the player outcry of it could have been done better is minimal. 

25 minutes ago, Jinx_DG said:

It was my understanding from what Roland said many pages back that the next project is currently being worked on. Granted it's still in the planning and concepual phase, but even if 7DTD was done and dusted yesterday the next project would need to complete it's current planning phase to actually be worked on. There's nothing to the next project being lost by them working on water so it works as they intend it to. 

I want the team to work on what they need to & want to so it's the best it can be. That way when it is finished the player outcry of it could have been done better is minimal. 

From the YouTube interview it’s something like 90% working on 7D2D. They have six (I think) doing work on the new titles. Obviously wrapping up 7D2D sooner would allow more staff to work on new stuff.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

From the YouTube interview it’s something like 90% working on 7D2D. They have six (I think) doing work on the new titles. Obviously wrapping up 7D2D sooner would allow more staff to work on new stuff.

Depends on the staffs area of expertise. Staff members are specialized and may not be able to do other aspects in game developement. Just because you have them doesn't mean you can use them in the current phase. 

On 11/3/2022 at 11:56 AM, meilodasreh said:

that cool "easteregg" POI at the southernmost edge of the navezgane map has some nice outside landscape with cascading water, which does a really good job of "simulating" a flowing river if you ask me.

What POI is it? I am genuinely curious and would love to go look at it in game!

11 hours ago, meganoth said:

Quoting myself here as I have some info to add to this:

I made a test with about 12 blocks with holes of various shapes and tried to shoot or melee zombies through it. For most of them that was no problem. But 3 of the 12 were totally blocking bullets and melee through their holes: "Ramp Frame", "Pole Cross Centered", "Pillar 1m Open".

That there were so few problem cases leads me to suspect those 3 might be just oversights. In that case, please disregard my idea about indicating permeability in the UI and someone please just fix those and similar shapes.