Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

Questions about the filter helmet mod:
Does the mod remove or lower the HP cost of dirty water?

Also, how much HP does it cost to drink dirty water each time? Also, is it the same hydration and HP cost from drinking from a water source?

The mod removes all side effects from hand drinking and murky water. Without it, it would be -5HP per drink as well as a 12% risk of dysentery. It has a gain of 10 water.

That mod will be the new must find item. 

Lots of discussion about the upcoming jar/water changes…. I’m curious:

dev question: any plans of making more “types of water” blocks in the world than just “murky” and “drinkable”? 

thoughts /arguments:
I have gently (fingers crossed) requested “blood water” in the game just for visual effect in pois but…. Having a lot of contaminated water that’s worse than “murky” might be an incentive to have more purification strategies, if you wanted to… or a way to have water that’s “unusable” for things like lakes/ditches/toilets all the places where water “look and feel” is neat but you don’t want it to be useable at all. 

Currently there’s basically “murky” and then “clean”. Its a very binary system and purification is easy/cheap even without a lot of jars. I feel that some complexity (and possible fun?) might arise if water could have multiple types (either super contaminated, or just really nasty, radiated, oily, toxic, etc) so it will be a struggle to purify it if even possible (not just “I filtered and/or boiled it”) and finding/buying/looting “drinkable water” could be rare as crafting/purifying it would be the goal.

In this way, having a dew collector that gives a little early game water might be nice, but other methods might yield “more plentiful water” but would require more work to set up (like radiation filter, particulate filter, boiling ) might be a good compliment to collecting dew, or rather than building a dew collecting farm. 

for the “snow -> h2o” melting for water (being removed apparently?) just (simply! Ha ha) add some radiation to the snow (or even then snow biome) It’s low enough level you can wander around a bit before radiation hits you, but concentrate the snow and you’re going to have some nasty radiated water. Of course, this might mean needing a few levels of radiation and protection from it to the game… to make it awesome of course…  but if not just make concentrated snow radiated and harmful to drink.

As an example: Make the “normal easy to find water” in any particular biome a special water block property/color and a biome specific challenge to purify/process/drink, therefore a special struggle to live/base in that biome near water.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

You fail again, sir.

I was just teasing. I didn’t mean the comment maliciously or actually trying to catch you in some kind of lie to one up you. Apologies. I can see you are deadly serious about your comments and past the point of any kind of banter. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Gideon said:

I figured the game play loop has gotten easier and easier over time to appeal to a wider and wider audience, hence the steady move away from survival play and towards arcade play.

New players don’t report that the current game loop is particularly easy. You’re just a veteran player. I’ve gone back to previous alphas and played with no difficulty on default settings. There was a bit of remembering different mechanics but once done no more or less difficulty to survive. 

17 minutes ago, Roland said:

New players don’t report that the current game loop is particularly easy. You’re just a veteran player. I’ve gone back to previous alphas and played with no difficulty on default settings. There was a bit of remembering different mechanics but once done no more or less difficulty to survive. 

You went back to 17? That's just messed up.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

So that kind of confirms what I said. Thanks.

Survival games tend to be, by their nature, kind of hard on new players. Perhaps eliminating or severely diminishing the survival aspects in favor of more action oriented aspects of the game would be in order?

45 minutes ago, Gideon said:

So that kind of confirms what I said. Thanks.

You’re welcome. Glad to confirm that the devs haven’t been making the game easier and easier with each update and that how easy it is now is simply a product of your experience. 

47 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Perhaps eliminating or severely diminishing the survival aspects in favor of more action oriented aspects of the game would be in order?

That wouldn’t be my preference. The game is a good blend of survival aspects and arcade action. I’d like to see more survival elements emphasized, personally, but even so the devs have never been trying to make this game a survival sim or all out arcade game. 

12 minutes ago, sillls said:

I have asked this question before but I realized that I didn't get an answer. 

Will there be boats in Alpha 21?

Maybe and no. 

There is a yacht POI that is in the files but still a WIP and it may or may not show up in A21

Boats as water vehicles are not planned. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

PFF "VETERAN PLAYER" this is not working! years ago we had to fight with wight in first day with our bare fist! While we had to eat to get HP! good old times.  So game is easier! without dying on normal after 15 minutes something go wrong! this game must harder. so hard that it will be sold in ..... the favourite Snowdog shop only! 

🏋️‍♂️

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

This is not exactly a major thing but will A21 see the cop's exploding chunks get updated? Still find it weird that his bits are from the old model

Yup! Ran out of time to get the new gibs done in time for the A20 launch. He still works, so it shipped.

Lots of things will be in various states of WIP from here to Gold!

10 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

1) Who cares why is this relevant 

2) You bough an early access game that has always been marketed as an early access game, assuming this is a problem you should wait for the game to be complete

3) Why do weather calculation need to tie in with a dew/water collector, it is a game it doesn’t need excessive calculations. What it needs is fun & performance.

There is a damn bin that collect or makes water there is nothing else to understand 

Give it a rest man wait until the next alpha and decide if the change ruined the game for you I feel bad however as of now it’s just whining. Nobody likes whiners.

1) Who cares why is this relevant 

2) You bough an early access game that has always been marketed as an early access game, assuming this is a problem you should wait for the game to be complete

3) Why do weather calculation need to tie in with a dew/water collector, it is a game it doesn’t need excessive calculations. What it needs is fun & performance.

There is a damn bin that collect or makes water there is nothing else to understand 

Give it a rest man wait until the next alpha and decide if the change ruined the game for you I feel bad however as of now it’s just whining. Nobody likes whiners.

I f’ed up an duplicated the response sorry all

**Look it is really easy to admit a mistake was made**

You need to go back and read through the conversations.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Maybe and no. 

There is a yacht POI that is in the files but still a WIP and it may or may not show up in A21

Boats as water vehicles are not planned. 

Thanks for the update. 

Just in case TFP's are looking for new ideas.  :)

Just now, maxousara said:

Question 1...New boss zombies in a21 like demolisher?

Question 2...New special zombies in a21 Like cops or bubble zombies?

All efforts are going toward bandits. Hopefully they make it. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:28 PM, Roland said:

In seriousness though, the water voxel overhaul has a narrow and specific scope. Performance, works with terrain and submerged blocks and decorations, doesn't result in holes or Moses partitions, and looks good.

Does this mean that it will be possible to see flooded locations in the game, such as boats or boats?... of course, if the player's swimming mechanics are fixed and animations are added for swimming under water and above water...

1 hour ago, Roland said:

All efforts are going toward bandits. Hopefully they make it. 

Are they in already in -in a bugged state-  and did you meet them yet or do they only exist in faatal's test build for now?

Your opinion usually feels like a cool premonition, even if it is of semi-naked Afro-haired people swearing while gliding through RWG.