The drone looks nice, but...

Viktoriusiii

Honestly... I get that it didn't feel right making it fight and stuff... (although I feel like it should just be like a turret with limited ammo! So either you use it to fight or to carry cargo, but what do I know, right? Maybe there were other issue, still very disappointing)

But this is REALLY underwhelming.
I really like the voice stuff.
But having to talk to it to heal is just bad. (and then it heals you even with no effect, because you put the wrong bandage in).

It needs three things:
-Auto-Heal (it has a cooldown already)
-Intelligent healing (no wasting of bandages, healing only at a certain cap (if you are at <25% use medkit>bandage>aloe; <50% don't use medkit and so on)
because I can have perks to be better at it and I can have it in my quickbad, so not only am I faster healing myself, I am also more effective at it.

-flashlight needs to be in a radius and much MUCH larger! This is laughable atm (at least what was shown in the devstream)

If this is like the very first iteration and there are more features to come, I am happy!

But right now... it is just a pocket mod, with cute voiceovers. (stamina regeneration? really? only useful when mining, logging and running. And you usually already have an auger,chainsaw and motorbike at that time. Statboost, regeneration factor, more damage, accuracy, better loot, damagereduction... all good things... and oyu go with 10% stamina regen...)

But it would only be "healing you with no effect because you put the wrong bandage in" if you ASK it to. So don't ask for a heal when you're not hurt. Yea in the stream he only put in regular bandages and it went ahead and used them when he told it to. Still useful if you're actively bleeding. How do you know how or if it chooses higher level meds when more than 1 is in it's inventory? You assume it doesn't but that was not shown so you're inventing a problem to complain about that you don't know actually exists? It may already know to use a higher level if one is available.

Hopefully there will be more to it at some point. Even being able to send it back to your base to deliver items to a special container it is linked to. That way you could keep exploring a large POI and every 5-10 minutes the drone would return for you to transfer more loot for it to take back to your base ,dump, and return.

But even despite its current limited use as a hover cart, there is something about it that is so cool as it follows you around and tries to stay near you. It feels like a pet. I bet once most people try playing with one they will always want to play with one even if it remains as it is. You kind of get attached to the little droid...

3 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

But it would only be "healing you with no effect because you put the wrong bandage in" if you ASK it to. So don't ask for a heal when you're not hurt. Yea in the stream he only put in regular bandages and it went ahead and used them when he told it to. Still useful if you're actively bleeding. How do you know how or if it chooses higher level meds when more than 1 is in it's inventory? You assume it doesn't but that was not shown so you're inventing a problem to complain about that you don't know actually exists? It may already know to use a higher level if one is available.

Oh!
The reason why I said that was because he had one in his inventory, so I assumed he put it in.
My b.

Still. It should say "no treatable wounds detected" or something.
And since this is so basic, I just kinda assume that no other restriction is in place either.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Hopefully there will be more to it at some point. Even being able to send it back to your base to deliver items to a special container it is linked to. That way you could keep exploring a large POI and every 5-10 minutes the drone would return for you to transfer more loot for it to take back to your base ,dump, and return.

But even despite its current limited use as a hover cart, there is something about it that is so cool as it follows you around and tries to stay near you. It feels like a pet. I bet once most people try playing with one they will always want to play with one even if it remains as it is. You kind of get attached to the little droid...

not even doubting the emotional connection. Just saying that it's usefulness right now is laughable at best.
For something that was "close to implementation" for nearly 2 years, that is a bit lackluster.

But I still love the design and voiceover.
It is basicially like everything in 7d2d.
I absolutely love it. But with just a few simple tweaks it could be SO MUCH BETTER!

The drone must have a directional light/flashlight as a standard option but as a mod a radial 360 degrees (dome, radial in the same manner as a primitive torch) light source.

The drone must have the ability to heal up the owner and possibly other allied players in near proximity, only if the health goes down to critical levels (under 50% hp?). A drone might shoot with syringes (???), but a cooldown must be included.

Please add the option to silence the drone's generic voice acting... no offense.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

I dunno, how does stealth work when you have one out? or does it work at all? As for its heal ability, if you have to tell it to heal you that kinda makes the function pointless as the time its going to take you to tell it to heal you, you could have used it yourself and been back shooting much faster.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Scyris said:

I dunno, how does stealth work when you have one out? or does it work at all? As for its heal ability, if you have to tell it to heal you that kinda makes the function pointless as the time its going to take you to tell it to heal you, you could have used it yourself and been back shooting much faster.

I'm pretty sure the zombies are completely unaware of the drone so it doesn't factor at all in whether they notice you or not.

31 minutes ago, Slaasher said:

The drone is a tricky thing.

IMO one thing we dont need is something that is OP and will take the danger factor out of the game.

I would rather see them add mundane things at first and see how it goes before giving it too many features.

Heh...heh... The funny thing is that for YEARS people asked for the devs to please allow them to push the shopping cart around and be able to fill it with loot. So the devs give us what amounts to a shopping cart and everybody wants it to shoot or shock enemies too. 

What happened with being happy with a loot cart? :)

3 hours ago, Scyris said:

I dunno, how does stealth work when you have one out? or does it work at all?

I remember the dev who programmed the drone said it WILL affect stealth detection.

But as Roland said, it won't affect combat or zombies at all.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Even being able to send it back to your base to deliver items to a special container it is linked to.

I doubt it'll ever be possible (unless they limit the range) since you could send it to points on the map where the chunks have been unloaded because you're too far away. :ohwell:

2 hours ago, Slaasher said:

IMO one thing we dont need is something that is OP and will take the danger factor out of the game.

The drone should be a mid/end-game thing, so it'd be fair to have it give a little more protection and bonuses.

IMO, it's all a question of balancing (as always).

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

Sending the drone out in a straight line at walk/jog/run/sprint speed as a zombie distraction would be nice.

You already have rocks that are much more efficient and already work. ;) 

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

Or maybe getting it to play CDs you find as loot for background music?  :p

Yeah, someone already mentioned something along the lines, but IMO there are two main problems: 1) You need A LOT of additional ORIGINAL music scores added to the game or... 2) You need to provide a way to have custom music added to the game (e.g.: MP3/AVI playlist in a folder).

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Heh...heh... The funny thing is that for YEARS people asked for the devs to please allow them to push the shopping cart around and be able to fill it with loot. So the devs give us what amounts to a shopping cart and everybody wants it to shoot or shock enemies too. 

I know you're just trolling :D

But if you guys gave us a shopping cart... that is only accesable after having the motorbike, I'm pretty sure we would riot :'D

It's not that it is completely useless. It is more that it is useless at the time of being able to craft it.
You need:
-recipe/intelligencetree

-semiadvanced ressources

-all the mods
and at the end you get another pocketmod. A cute pocket mod, but still a pocket mod :'D
That was not what players though of when they said "drone" :D

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I doubt it'll ever be possible (unless they limit the range) since you could send it to points on the map where the chunks have been unloaded because you're too far away. :ohwell:

Maybe I'm just too much of a novice.
But wouldn't you just need the x/y coordinates and the heightmap? Then give it an average speed and boom.
Now all you need to do is make sure that the assigned chest is reachable and boom. Done.

Edited by Viktoriusiii (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Viktoriusiii said:

But wouldn't you just need the x/y coordinates and the heightmap? Then give it an average speed and boom.
Now all you need to do is make sure that the assigned chest is reachable and boom. Done.

I guess that would be a question @faatal could answer.

One reason for players to want movable shopping carts surely was that they were actually in the world but unmovable.

I just saw the video and it seems to me it isn't clear whether healing can happen automatically. The programmer said something about it being automatic. But Nathan immediately used the button to show it.

What I didn't get was the use case for the armor mod on the drone. If it isn't targeted by zombies there is no real danger for it except in PvP. Or will bandits later on be able to target it as well as unfriendly players?

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

What I didn't get was the use case for the armor mod on the drone. If it isn't targeted by zombies there is no real danger for it except in PvP. Or will bandits later on be able to target it as well as unfriendly players?

You forgot how worried they were with Fataal and his rocket launcher. 😁

9 hours ago, Roland said:

Probably because it is looks like sooo much more than a shopping cart. If they had given us the shopping cart (still hope they do), would people want it have offensive features as well? With this crowd I'm sure there would be a few, but most would accept that a plain uncomplicated cart couldn't be used in that manner. But a flying drone that follows and alerts of enemies, one could conceive that it could preform harder tasks. I'm not really concerned about it, I do hope it gets revisited & some other features are added (the assigned loot box sounds cool).

5 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

While I don't personally know all the details I know enough to say that pathing in fully destructable voxel world is anything but simple.  Granted, they could cheat once the thing enters a chunk that no players are in and simply teleport through.  But... still not simple.

14 minutes ago, Maharin said:

While I don't personally know all the details I know enough to say that pathing in fully destructable voxel world is anything but simple.  Granted, they could cheat once the thing enters a chunk that no players are in and simply teleport through.  But... still not simple.

but... they already have pathfinding...

and once they are in an unloaded chunk, it is literally only 3 numbers. x,y,z.

7 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

It is more that it is useless at the time of being able to craft it.

Crafting one yourself is unlikely to be the only way to get one. There are plenty of tier 3 items that come into the player's possession long before the player could craft those items and some are things that player may NEVER be able to craft on their own. I'm trolling a bit but not much. This really is just the first iteration.

Why is it that all the people who are the loudest critics of how TFP always redo and redo and redo features-- all of a sudden are certain that this first implementation is going to be the final implementation? (Now THAT was a troll ;) )

1 hour ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Which is great as long as the thing never interacts with anything else that could be hostile to it (or even slow it down / damage it), such as zombies or animals or players or whatever.  Better to just program it to teleport home and unload, sit idle for the equivalent travel time, then port back.  :p  Even with that there is the added CPU/Memory load of it traveling in chunks the player(s) are not in.

27 minutes ago, Roland said:

Why is it that all the people who are the loudest critics of how TFP always redo and redo and redo features-- all of a sudden are certain that this first implementation is going to be the final implementation? (Now THAT was a troll ;) )

On 10/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, Viktoriusiii said:

If this is like the very first iteration and there are more features to come, I am happy!

;)

Okay, I tested a few things:

1) The drone only administers health recovery from medicated bandages and first aid kits. It does not administer debuff fixers like antibiotics, splints, vitamins, and sewing kits and when it does administer a bandage it only helps your health and does not fix the debuffs bandages normally fix. Furthermore, if your health is capped by a debuff the drone will "waste" medicine to heal you even though your health won't be able to advance until the debuff capping your max hp is fixed.

2) The drone must be activated to administer healing when your health is within 50 of your maximum health (not counting debuff caps). So if you have 130 health the drone will auto heal you if you drop below 80 health.

3) The drone will not auto heal you if you already have medicine in your system when you drop below 50 of your maximum health. It will wait until all the current medicine is used up before administering another dose.

4) The drone takes the bandages before it takes the first aid kits if both are in its inventory no matter what order they are arranged.

5) It is more difficult to access the heal me! button on the drone than it is to use an item on your belt so the drone is best utilized for emergency automatic medical treatment once your health drops below that threshold.

5) You can install multiple storage mods to greatly increase the storage capacity.

6) The drone tells you when it detects enemies nearby.

Edited by Roland
retested a few things (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Crafting one yourself is unlikely to be the only way to get one. There are plenty of tier 3 items that come into the player's possession long before the player could craft those items and some are things that player may NEVER be able to craft on their own. I'm trolling a bit but not much. This really is just the first iteration.

Since it is tier3 it will also drop late in loot, definitely later than head-slot lamps. But that means just one relatively useless mod, that seems ok.

3 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I'm sure they would not simulate the movement through chunks but simply wait time equivalent to the distance the drone has to travel. I think the major work would be the UI and code to couple the drone with some container.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)