We shouldn't be able to pick up Vehicles

Jost Amman

The other day, while playing, I realized that being able to pick up our vehicles just kind of "ruins the fun".

I set up a non-BM base surrounded by a full perimeter fence with a low wall with bars on top, going all around (and some ground hatches to work as entry points).

What I was trying to do, was to replicate one of those nice bases that you can find in State of Decay and pretend I needed all the "base sections" that are used in that game.

For those who don't know, in SoD, when you clear a potential base site, you can then set up a number of "slots" for a specific purpose.

Some examples are a Kitchen, a sleeping area, a Workshop and, in the case I'm talking about... A PARKING SPOT.

When I realized I completely walled myself in, I facepalmed my self and thought: "Oh great! Now I have to tear down a big section of the wall I just built to make room for the vehicle parking slot!". But as soon as I thought that, I realized there was NO need for a garage door, NO need for a real protected parking spot, for the simple reason that I could empty the vehicle and pick it up and store it in a closet.

So, basically, that's what I'm talking about. Being able to pick up vehicles makes it completely irrelevant to plan a way to protect it, park it and have a "special place" for it in your base.

Do you guys agree, at least in principle, with my feeling on this?

Wouldn't it be great if they just made vehicles impossible to pick up and add a new type of "challenge" to the game?

If they do that, later they could even add special workstations for the vehicles, like a fuel pump to refuel it automatically when you park, or a toolbox that if installed near the vehicle will slowly fix it without the need for repair kits (or something like that).

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

***DISCLAIMER : we're discussing things that are referred to real-life situations here. For those who lose their @%$# everytime something like this is mentioned, just keep moving and pretend you didnt see this thread. And yes, we know zombies dont exist. Thanks.***

I did thought about this once. Personally, the only vehicle we should be able to pick is the Bicycle, because that can be done in a realistic way, just like in real life. Without a proper game design adjustment, we could just self-impose the challenge of never pick up any motorized vehicle.

But im wondering here : you argue that picking up the 4x4 and putting it in your pocket doesnt make sense but setting up a station where it would be automatically refueled and repaired kinda contradict your idea, no? Such station is a cool idea in itself but i think those tasks should still be done manually by the survivor.

I get your point, but... All this would do is make people park across the street instead of in their bases. Since zombies come for you, and not the vehicle, parking it a short distance away, even in plain sight, would be just as defensive as making a parking garage for it. There are a lot of things in game that isn't "needed", as you state parking garages are. Do you NEED an ak47? No, not at all. You can outlast a horde, or even the entire game, without killing a single zombie (from experience, I've done this.)... I personally don't think not picking up a vehicle would change much, other than annoying some of the people that like it.

Same here, but I got tired of the vehicles disappearing on me.  Nothing like waking up in the morning and finding your minibike has decided to tunnel downward 100 meters.  Since then, I put them in storage crates (yes, I know I can just use CM and spawn me a new one if it does, I hate the leftover marker from it though).

From reports I read there are still people whose vehicles disappear if they leave them parked somewhere and then leave the chunk. It isn't as common as it used to be but it still happens. For that reason, people who are worried that it might happen to them should be able to have the peace of mind that it is safely in their "pocket" when they aren't using it.

I agree that it is taking the easy way out if you drive into a place where you get stuck and rather than excavating it out the long way you just pick it up and place it back on the road. However, I think in the grand scheme of things such situations should be left to the sensibilities and immersion of the player rather than forced upon them. But if they changed it I wouldn't be upset.

4 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Same here, but I got tired of the vehicles disappearing on me.  Nothing like waking up in the morning and finding your minibike has decided to tunnel downward 100 meters.  Since then, I put them in storage crates (yes, I know I can just use CM and spawn me a new one if it does, I hate the leftover marker from it though).

Case in point :)

Yes, I had thought about the "falling through the world" problem... maybe one solution could be that you could craft a parking spot "workstation" that will change appearance with the type of vehicle you used when you park on it. After that it won't be able to disappear anymore, since it wouldn't be an entity anymore, until you "use" the workstation and get the vehicle back.

It's a bit convoluted and I don't know how hard would it be to do, but it's kind of what I'd do if I was a dev. :typing:

We also shouldn't be able to pick up a dozen large stacks of concrete or stone or iron or wood, etc. Realism in this game is very much non-existent in every single way possible. Just enjoy the game for what it's worth.

If you want to build a garage for your vehicles, then do it, the option is there after all. Just don't expect it to still be there after a blood-moon night.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

The other day, while playing, I realized that being able to pick up our vehicles just kind of "ruins the fun".

I set up a non-BM base surrounded by a full perimeter fence with a low wall with bars on top, going all around (and some ground hatches to work as entry points).

What I was trying to do, was to replicate one of those nice bases that you can find in State of Decay and pretend I needed all the "base sections" that are used in that game.

For those who don't know, in SoD, when you clear a potential base site, you can then set up a number of "slots" for a specific purpose.

Some examples are a Kitchen, a sleeping area, a Workshop and, in the case I'm talking about... A PARKING SPOT.

When I realized I completely walled myself in, I facepalmed my self and thought: "Oh great! Now I have to tear down a big section of the wall I just built to make room for the vehicle parking slot!". But as soon as I thought that, I realized there was NO need for a garage door, NO need for a real protected parking spot, for the simple reason that I could empty the vehicle and pick it up and store it in a closet.

So, basically, that's what I'm talking about. Being able to pick up vehicles makes it completely irrelevant to plan a way to protect it, park it and have a "special place" for it in your base.

Do you guys agree, at least in principle, with my feeling on this?

Wouldn't it be great if they just made vehicles impossible to pick up and add a new type of "challenge" to the game?

If they do that, later they could even add special workstations for the vehicles, like a fuel pump to refuel it automatically when you park, or a toolbox that if installed near the vehicle will slowly fix it without the need for repair kits (or something like that).

Honestly this sound good but... quiet too late in my opinion. i have feeling they are rushing to gold. btw you sometimes need to pick venicle. why? in real live if you put wood on dirt it will be wood on dirt. but in 7dtd can blocked you venicle

1 hour ago, Kyonshi said:

***DISCLAIMER : we're discussing things that are referred to real-life situations here. For those who lose their @%$# everytime something like this is mentioned, just keep moving and pretend you didnt see this thread. And yes, we know zombies dont exist. Thanks.***

I did thought about this once. Personally, the only vehicle we should be able to pick is the Bicycle, because that can be done in a realistic way, just like in real life. Without a proper game design adjustment, we could just self-impose the challenge of never pick up any motorized vehicle.

But im wondering here : you argue that picking up the 4x4 and putting it in your pocket doesnt make sense but setting up a station where it would be automatically refueled and repaired kinda contradict your idea, no? Such station is a cool idea in itself but i think those tasks should still be done manually by the survivor.

yeah but terrain have diffrent "stupid" sitations (looks on dirt near wall of houses) so this is just neccesary

59 minutes ago, Roland said:

Just plot out a spot next to your base and place a storage crate with a sign on it that says "Garage". Then always store your vehicles in there. ;)

Wow...that brought me unexpected nostalgia for Hotwheels...

Haha

I am doing that in my next playthrough.  I am going to build a big garage, and then just place a storage crate inside of it to place my vehicles  🙂

15 minutes ago, Fox said:

We also shouldn't be able to pick up a dozen large stacks of concrete or stone or iron or wood, etc. Realism in this game is very much non-existent in every single way possible. Just enjoy the game for what it's worth.

If you want to build a garage for your vehicles, then do it, the option is there after all. Just don't expect it to still be there after a blood-moon night.

Sorry if I sound blunt, but... did you read my OP at all?

My point wasn't that it's not "realistic". Also, I clearly said it's a non-BM base, but that's not even relevant for my point.

It's not an idea I'm talking about, it's not even a "Pimps dream" because I know they most probably won't be able (or willing) to make such change.

It's just something I realized was "missing" in 7D2D by comparing it with a different game. It's a real shame for me, since 7D2D is so complete that it's kind of frustrating you have to play "pretend" with what you have like kids do ( I'm looking at you Roland! ;) ).

I never pick my vehicle up, unless i get stuck in a hole, because i always have stuff in it. Vitamins, splint, antibiotics, extra gas, nailgun, rockbusters&coffee, healthbar, food.

So i always have a garage once i get a motorcycle. Same in MP, most of us have stuff in their vehicles so there is always a garage including a helipad on the top. Also playing with snufkins vehicles right now and you actually wanna see that fancy flying shark instead of hiding it. 

I´d say let people have the choice how to do it. It´s also kind of a QoL thing, People with limited time will for sure be happy if they can save time by driving to their backpack when dying instead of wasting time running there.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Sorry if I sound blunt, but... did you read my OP at all?

My point wasn't that it's not "realistic". Also, I clearly said it's a non-BM base, but that's not even relevant for my point.

It's not an idea I'm talking about, it's not even a "Pimps dream" because I know they most probably won't be able (or willing) to make such change.

It's just something I realized was "missing" in 7D2D by comparing it with a different game. It's a real shame for me, since 7D2D is so complete that it's kind of frustrating you have to play "pretend" with what you have like kids do ( I'm looking at you Roland! ;) ).

(i always prefered action mans ( it shame i never bought a ww2 action mans 😭) and small army bricks from cobi- maybe that's why i'm so grimdark )

Honestly some moders can do this so maybe try to  put this topic in mod section 😀

I just accept the fact that my backpack that can hold a few hundred spike traps, 1,000's of rocks, and a forest full of wood...

Why is a vehicle such a stretch? 

Make it a self imposed challenge. Problem solved. I am sure someone will add that to a realistic survival mod at some point. To make it a default when the rest of your inventory is a physical impossibility is a little selective simply for difficulties sake in my opinion.

Honestly, I'd hate that.  I often gyrocopter across the map (I use nitrogen/king gen, so I usually have a decent amount of water and mountains to cross between cities), drop my 4X4 to explore a city (since exploring a city in a gyrocopter is awful), and then pick up the 4X4 and gyrocopter back to base when I'm done.  I'd have to either make a bunch of 4X4's and drop them in every city, or try to explore from the ground in the gyrocopter.

That said, I do build a garage for my 4X4 (well, usually it's more like a tunnel so I don't have to turn around or back it, I can just drive straight through) with drawbridges and automated cameras/pressure plates.

3 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Honestly, I'd hate that.  I often gyrocopter across the map (I use nitrogen/king gen, so I usually have a decent amount of water and mountains to cross between cities), drop my 4X4 to explore a city (since exploring a city in a gyrocopter is awful), and then pick up the 4X4 and gyrocopter back to base when I'm done.  I'd have to either make a bunch of 4X4's and drop them in every city, or try to explore from the ground in the gyrocopter.

That said, I do build a garage for my 4X4 (well, usually it's more like a tunnel so I don't have to turn around or back it, I can just drive straight through) with drawbridges and automated cameras/pressure plates.

You see? That's exactly what I'm talking about... if it was a REAL situation, you'd have to plan ahead or find the best places where to land and have enough space to actually be able to take off later. Instead, you can just drop on top of a building and care less about having enough runway.

If you had no alternative, you'd maybe have even forced to build a small runway near the place you want to fly to.

I don't know about you, but that's actually part of the fun for me. :) 

54 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

You see? That's exactly what I'm talking about... if it was a REAL situation, you'd have to plan ahead or find the best places where to land and have enough space to actually be able to take off later. Instead, you can just drop on top of a building and care less about having enough runway.

If you had no alternative, you'd maybe have even forced to build a small runway near the place you want to fly to.

I usually land on a flat area or road at the edge of town.  I've never landed on a rooftop.  And no, having to schlep across terrain that the vehicles can't really deal with in order to get where I'd want to build a runway doesn't sound particularly fun to me.  Maybe if there were boats and rivers like you find in Minecraft, where you can get all kinds of places by following rivers or going along the shoreline of the ocean it'd be okay.

Basically, to me, not being able to pick up a vehicle (though before I ever set it down I guess it's okay for me to carry it in my pocket?) would just be an annoyance.  I'd just make a bunch of extra ones and keep them in the gyrocopter for whenever I wanted to explore a new part of the map.

I agree with the OP but do see the "convenience" with being able to pick them up when something stupid happens & they get stuck...(looking at you scrap iron all over the ground in the wasteland!)

I'd also like to not be able to drive underwater. I remember the PS4 days when I'd accidentally drive into the water & the bike was immediately "dead". Had to empty it out, take it apart piece by piece, then rebuild it on land. 

Was a pain in the ass but made sense.

But like others said, just self immerse & simply don't pick it up as if you couldn't anyway.

I wouldn't be mad if the did remove the ability to pick them up though. 

2 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Basically, to me, not being able to pick up a vehicle (though before I ever set it down I guess it's okay for me to carry it in my pocket?) would just be an annoyance.

I understand, I'm probably the only one here (lol) who enjoys finding solution to these kinds of problems.

As for the "it's okay for me to carry it in my pocket?", no, if they did make vehicles "unpickable" I'd also want a special workstation where you need to craft the vehicle and that will make what you created "spawn" there. Kind of like a service platform for vehicles. :) 

It would make driving a very slow experience now that i think of it. There is always a chance you simply get stuck, it happens. Be it a hole dug by yourself, a slope you didn´t see and now you are stuck between a wall and the mountain or a cop that exploded.

The gyro get´s stuck easily if you mess things up near a building.

Yes that can be solved also, but tbh digging and building a ramp everytime or making every hole there is for whatever reason, safe to drive again would realyl be a big annoyance. Especially in MP that would be  problem.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

But even if your vehicle always occupied its full space in the world, you'd still be playing pretend: pretending that your vehicle is vulnerable and needs to be protected in a garage, when we all know your vehicles don't require any building at all (and this is unlikely to change at least until bandits are added).  You would still only really be building a garage for aesthetics rather than a functional purpose.  Meanwhile, I think quality of life overall would suffer from not being able to reset a vehicle that gets badly stuck in difficult terrain.

What if we take this parking space idea, and use it to improve the experience with disappearing or stuck vehicles?  What if a parking spot were like a bedroll for vehicles?  If your vehicle disappears or is stuck in the middle of nowhere, you can interact with your parking spot and it will respawn there.  If I recall correctly, other open world games with an emphasis on vehicles (e.g. Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row) have this feature.

There would be an exploit opportunity in respawning your vehicle to bring home loot instantly.  But this would be tempered by the fact that you have to get back to your parking spot to use it in the first place.  So abandoning your vehicle instead of just driving back is unlikely to gain you anything.  There'd be exploits with making your character suicide, too, but what else is new.

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Well using this way : gyrocopter should be useless because is loud as hell.  so only skyscrapers could have sens to land because it would bring all zombie from 5 km

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I understand, I'm probably the only one here (lol) who enjoys finding solution to these kinds of problems.

As for the "it's okay for me to carry it in my pocket?", no, if they did make vehicles "unpickable" I'd also want a special workstation where you need to craft the vehicle and that will make what you created "spawn" there. Kind of like a service platform for vehicles. :) 

it was working in bordelands but here you can keep items in cars

30 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

But even if your vehicle always occupied its full space in the world, you'd still be playing pretend: pretending that your vehicle is vulnerable and needs to be protected in a garage, when we all know your vehicles don't require any building at all (and this is unlikely to change at least until bandits are added).  You would still only really be building a garage for aesthetics rather than a functional purpose.  Meanwhile, I think quality of life overall would suffer from not being able to reset a vehicle that gets badly stuck in difficult terrain.

What if we take this parking space idea, and use it to improve the experience with disappearing or stuck vehicles?  What if a parking spot were like a bedroll for vehicles?  If your vehicle disappears or is stuck in the middle of nowhere, you can interact with your parking spot and it will respawn there.  If I recall correctly, other open world games with an emphasis on vehicles (e.g. Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row) have this feature.

There would be an exploit opportunity in respawning your vehicle to bring home loot instantly.  But this would be tempered by the fact that you have to get back to your parking spot to use it in the first place.  So abandoning your vehicle instead of just driving back is unlikely to gain you anything.  There'd be exploits with making your character suicide, too, but what else is new.

honestly you are right about this and "voxel" worlds are hell for cars. they can stuck somewhere by stupid bug 

You used to have to disassemble the mini-bike when it would get stuck in water or down a hole or pretty much hit anything the tires to could stick to.  It created a lot of frustrating moments of inventory juggling... but then that was most of the experience with the mini-bike for months after it was released in game.  I could see that being an option or a mod.