Favorite Alpha?

amazombie

I've played since A8. There are some great features in all the newer alphas, QoL is greatly improved. Some really great things have been added. So I'm not slamming the current version in anyway. However, for me personally, the last Alpha that I really put a lot of time in was A14. It had the minibike, and skills. I just havent personally been a fan of farming changes, all the mod parts. I mean, they add cool options, but I find my inventory is always full of looting all these parts, then I have to try and find out what they are for. IDK, just little things. 

I realize not everyone will agree of course. But I'm curious, any of you have a favorite past build? Do you still play it? I have both A14 and the current builds I switch between. 

On 6/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, amazombie said:

I've played since A8. There are some great features in all the newer alphas, QoL is greatly improved. Some really great things have been added. So I'm not slamming the current version in anyway. However, for me personally, the last Alpha that I really put a lot of time in was A14. It had the minibike, and skills. I just havent personally been a fan of farming changes, all the mod parts. I mean, they add cool options, but I find my inventory is always full of looting all these parts, then I have to try and find out what they are for. IDK, just little things. 

I realize not everyone will agree of course. But I'm curious, any of you have a favorite past build? Do you still play it? I have both A14 and the current builds I switch between. 

A15 easily, the gun system and the "learn by doing" was fantastic. It forced you to do certain actions to get better and better. Plus the guns felt fleshed out, needing certain parts at specific levels and traders were just an entity that didn't change the game in it's entirety.

If you don't do quests in A19, you will NEVER get the proper amounts of ammo for horde nights on default settings since you can get up to 200 bullets which is quite literally needed. Especially since wood spikes don't do literal @%$# compared to a15.

You need 3 of them to kill A ZOMBIE. Whereas 1 could kill 2-3 if not more. The current balancing goes from guns to 2 electric fence traps+1 blade trap. To a latter of 4 fence and 8 blade if you make a kill box.

Not to mention how houses use sleeper volumes so simply walking through an invisible wall causes every zombie to wake up, while in a15 you could clear a poi without being detected. Not to mention the wandering hordes literally came at the worst times. I died many times getting corner in a poi.

It felt just more fleshed out and overall more involved in certain mechanics. Not to say A20 is bad or anything, it's just got some flaws that need tweaking in later versions to really live up to the game.

In A19 the pathing is insanely better so i don't need to worry about everything getting hit for no reason. Plus in A20 we're going to get gamestages and loot tables for POIs to have their own tables as well so you won't see stone @%$#ing tools in a hardware store. (I don't care what anyone says, Other entities DID NOT reseal them. If they did, i would get banned from servers for breaking the boxes, replacing them with my own chests, and stocking them myself. It's a dumb argument.)

So overall, A15 is better for POIs, traps, and skills, whereas A19 is better for AI pathing, wandering hordes, and exploration since we have more than just minibikes. Though A15 still feels prime until stuff gets tweaked then it'll look like a crayon drawing  a child made

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

I agree with this, and your explanation is way more well put than mine so kudos on that. lol

It's a back and forth for sure. You always want some of the new stuff, with some things going back the old way. I agree with you on A15 with the learning by doing mechanic, that goes much more smooth than A14. 

8 minutes ago, amazombie said:

I agree with this, and your explanation is way more well put than mine so kudos on that. lol

It's a back and forth for sure. You always want some of the new stuff, with some things going back the old way. I agree with you on A15 with the learning by doing mechanic, that goes much more smooth than A14. 

All alphas are good in their own way! Though the devs will have to make a choice, either to keep the gun system as is, or revert back to the old one. Either way, a mod WILL be made in the final version of the game for either system depending which doesn't get chosen, the devs can't please both sides unfortunately.

As long as they keep fleshing systems out and manage to optimize having more zombies in the world, and making traps more balanced, as well as the gamestages then it can be phenomenal.

I use the mod Fawk Loot All mod from nexus in order to find everything anywhere like it used to be. It's still alpha and what not so the best we can do is offer our ideas and hope for the best!

Hard to say, every alpha is a different experience. I hope that the experience will continue to change for the better with more in-depth customization to give a purpose to a player to scavenge the world. I hope that there will be someday more variety of enemies and more hazards across every biome.

18 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

If you don't do quests in A20, you will NEVER get the proper amounts of ammo for horde nights on default settings

Wait, are they removing forges and work benches from A20?!? Holy crap that's a horrible "improvement".

Not to say A20 is bad or anything, it's just got some flaws that need tweaking in later versions to really live up to the game.

How many game days have you played in A20 so far? I'm wondering if it gets better as your gamestage goes up. I'm still playing A19 so no experience with A20.

In A20 the pathing is insanely better so i don't need to worry about everything getting hit for no reason.

That's good to hear. Man, I need to go download A20, which you obviously have already done, and start playing it!

Plus in A21 we're going to get gamestages and loot tables for POIs to have their own tables as well so you won't see stone @%$#ing tools in a hardware store.

I do not think the POI loot changes mean what you think they mean. Loot boxes are already tied to gamestage, which is exactly why you see stone tools when starting out and later start finding iron and then steel. As your gamestage goes up, the contents of loot boxes gets better. They are not going to have GS 5 players finding iron and steel tools from the get-go.

Anyway, best alpha is the next one.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

If you don't do quests in A20, you will NEVER get the proper amounts of ammo for horde nights on default settings since you can get up to 200 bullets which is quite literally needed. Especially since wood spikes don't do literal @%$# compared to a15.

Plus in A21 we're going to get gamestages and loot tables for POIs to have their own tables as well so you won't see stone @%$#ing tools in a hardware store. (I don't care what anyone says, Other entities DID NOT reseal them. If they did, i would get banned from servers for breaking the boxes, replacing them with my own chests, and stocking them myself. It's a dumb argument.)

I think you got your Alphas mixed up (We are currently on Alpha 19, Alpha 20 is just around the corner).

First point you made up above - I was up to Day 125, survivalist setting, hordes every 5 days, maxed zombies.  I did not have to do quests to get ammo.  I basically looted POIs, mined raw resources, and purchase ammo from the traders.  I had to stock up 8 Auto turrets, 4 shotgun turrets, and have enough ammo for my personal weapons.  I wasn't really doing any quests, but that did not hinder my ability to restock for every horde night.

I don't recall TFP stating that the gamestages and loot tables were being linked to POIs.  They have stated that the harder biomes were going to have differences in loot tables as a risk / reward type of system in Alpha 20.  Have you heard differently that now POIs are going to have unique loot tables?

I forget which alpha it was but it was the version that had the ore bodies encased in sand and you had to be very careful mining to keep the roof from collapsing on you. I had some very large very elaborate mines full of reinforcement for the ceiling and signs because you can get lost in them.

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

9 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I think you got your Alphas mixed up (We are currently on Alpha 19, Alpha 20 is just around the corner).

First point you made up above - I was up to Day 125, survivalist setting, hordes every 5 days, maxed zombies.  I did not have to do quests to get ammo.  I basically looted POIs, mined raw resources, and purchase ammo from the traders.  I had to stock up 8 Auto turrets, 4 shotgun turrets, and have enough ammo for my personal weapons.  I wasn't really doing any quests, but that did not hinder my ability to restock for every horde night.

I don't recall TFP stating that the gamestages and loot tables were being linked to POIs.  They have stated that the harder biomes were going to have differences in loot tables as a risk / reward type of system in Alpha 20.  Have you heard differently that now POIs are going to have unique loot tables?

You have @%$# luck then. I always sell the 150 magnum ammo i get in order to make extra dukes, and the 120 shotgun shells is great. I save the 120 7.62 ammo for horde night since i usually get an ak-47 around level 1-2 from the trader which covers the horde night.

Yes i did get my Alphas mixed up, but i do believe i read that pois will have unique loot tied to them which is why i brought it up, though i do not remember from where.

Also, i specifically stated the day 7 horde, your day 125 is irrelevant as you cannot get 7 auto turrets by day 7 on 60 minute days. So I'm thinking you have 150% loot abundance, if not more to be swimming in ammo if you didn't get any from quests.

The 120-200 stacks of ammo is absolutely possible, you should do more quests. I play survivalist as well.. difficulty is irreverent.

7 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

You've not played A20 so stop acting like you know anything about the balance in it.

Okay. Alphas were mixed up, if you couldn't tell.

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Darklegend222 said:

Also, i specifically stated the day 7 horde, your day 125 is irrelevant as you cannot get 7 auto turrets by day 7 on 60 minute days. So I'm thinking you have 150% loot abundance, if not more to be swimming in ammo if you didn't get any from quests.

If you are using bullets on day 7, you are wasting ammo.  Typically I am only using arrows and blunderbuses on the first couple of horde nights.  Save the ammo for when the hordes get much tougher.

Nope, I never go above 100% on loot abundance.

• 5 weeks later...

There is no way to generalize, every alpha experience is different. As the game development progresses, I hope that the experience will change for the better with more cutting-edge customization so that players have a reason for scavenging the world. Eventually, I hope to see a more varied roster of enemies and hazards in all biomes. learn more about calculerunpourcentage

A19 is the most refined version to be sure. I have fond feelings for a few past alphas.

A6 my first time playing + classic horde mode

A10 with the really cool terrain features and endless worlds.

A11 with caves

A17 with relentless zombies and POI's packed with enemies.

Started playing at A7/8, can't really remember. My favorite is probably A9. Game started getting really annoying for me at A10 and later (not only gameplay but also performance started dropping after A10). There are some good things in newer alphas (like the bicycle and auto recipes without manually inserting things there) but generally newer alphas are super overcomplicated and frustrating to play for me. If I could choose I would take my bicycle and auto recipes into an alpha before skill system and before zombies were in literally every POI and of course before zombies could dig. An alpha where I still could see if zombies saw me or not (the Skyrim eye). Then I would just remove wellness and voila, my perfect alpha :)

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

Love the newer graphics in recent and, I guess, future alphas, but just detest the dungeon style POI's. They seem so repetitive and immersion killing to me. Not to mention the "Oh look, a zombie sized cupboard. I wonder what's in it?" and, also, a pet peeve of mine the "smart" zombies that you can guide by their decaying little hands to their inevitable demise in a swirling hail of blades and lead.

Alpha I'd like would be A16 with new graphics.