KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

Been using CP47 with Nitrogen and can get all the  skyscrapers in one city by making new maps till I get what I like.  Makes it feel like a real city with all the tall buildings.  Have switched to KingGen with CP47 and can't seem to get more than half of the tall buildings to spawn.  Have made many maps to try to get them to show up.  Is it just a luck of the draw thing or am I doing something wrong.  Have settings set in KingGen for large cities and large city grid.

2 hours ago, BT13 said:

Been using CP47 with Nitrogen and can get all the  skyscrapers in one city by making new maps till I get what I like.  Makes it feel like a real city with all the tall buildings.  Have switched to KingGen with CP47 and can't seem to get more than half of the tall buildings to spawn.  Have made many maps to try to get them to show up.  Is it just a luck of the draw thing or am I doing something wrong.  Have settings set in KingGen for large cities and large city grid.

I am working on an update to address this. It will probably be in KG 12.

14 hours ago, MichaelL. said:

What are the dark brown and grey areas?

burnt and wasteland biomes

11 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

I am working on an update to address this. It will probably be in KG 12.

you could also try adding downtown zoning that might put more sky scrapers in that area?

Stoopid question maybe - I've seen many folks apparently submitting their masterpiece maps using KingSlayer's form - but how do users download those maps? Have I missed a post somewhere? I pulled down Scallipus's great Ozzie map - but that was from his own personal site. Where do I find the "Community" site?

pj

2 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

Stoopid question maybe - I've seen many folks apparently submitting their masterpiece maps using KingSlayer's form - but how do users download those maps? Have I missed a post somewhere? I pulled down Scallipus's great Ozzie map - but that was from his own personal site. Where do I find the "Community" site?

pj

The feature hasn't been released yet. It will be in KG 11. I am still working on it and collecting heightmaps.

Users will also be able to submit files after the release.

Aaaahhh....   That's what you said in your original post, KS - thank you; I had 'sort of" expected some mention of an update somewhere, and, knowing me - I thought I had missed it.

(Thanks also, for the incredibly quick reply!!!   You must have no life outside this 'game'!)

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

Aaaahhh....   That's what you said in your original post, KS - thank you; I had 'sort of" expected some mention of an update somewhere, and, knowing me - I thought I had missed it.

(Thanks also, for the incredibly quick reply!!!   You must have no life outside this 'game'!)

I just get an email each time somebody writes here :) (I am supposed to be working tho)

so a quick question, why does kinggen, when generateing a custom frefab list, not include all the base game viable prefabs? its just a empty document. so... what the smegs the point? XD anyone know how i can get the standard vannilla list from somewhere without needed to copy paste each and every one into the document? should be as easy as adding the modded prefabs into the list that i have to add afterwards then, right? 

7 minutes ago, Colin248 said:

so a quick question, why does kinggen, when generateing a custom frefab list, not include all the base game viable prefabs?

Somebody might not want the vanilla pois. Imagine someone using a medieval mod, they wouldn't want vanilla pois.

9 minutes ago, Colin248 said:

its just a empty document.

If you generate the poi list correctly it will not be empty.

9 minutes ago, Colin248 said:

anyone know how i can get the standard vannilla list from somewhere without needed to copy paste each and every one into the document? should be as easy as adding the modded prefabs into the list that i have to add afterwards then, right? 

to generate a poilist, you just have to supply KG with a prefabs folder.

Want a vanilla poilist? Give KG the vanilla prefabs folder. 

Want vanilla+custom pois list? Give KG a folder containing both.  (alternatively you can generate 2 separate lists and join them together)

1 minute ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Somebody might not want the vanilla pois. Imagine someone using a medieval mod, they wouldn't want vanilla pois.

If you generate the poi list correctly it will not be empty.

to generate a poilist, you just have to supply KG with a prefabs folder.

Want a vanilla poilist? Give KG the vanilla prefabs folder. 

Want vanilla+custom pois list? Give KG a folder containing both.  (alternatively you can generate 2 separate lists and join them together)

ooooh i watched the video and misunderstood a part of it i think. my apologies for the mixup. il give it a second go and see what happens. sorry for being kind of a @%$#. XD

All I do is to clean the game's Prefab folder to default vanilla first, then copy into it - say, DFalls prefabs, then CP47 prefabs and whatever other prefabs I like, then run the KG "Generate custom prefab list", enter the path and file name as it asks for, and it's done. No hassle at all.

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

Has anyone had any success creating a KingGen map with CP47 - for use in Darkness Falls? (with the DF special POIs/Traders/etc)?

I can't figure out how to create a Custom POI list combining the CP47 list with the DF ones

<Edit> Might have fixed the problem.  Needed to select the prefab direct then create a name for the list

I've been working my way through the 'recommended' DF pregen maps... and they're all horrible!  Roads to nowhere.  No roads at all between some major cities.  Roads that go straight vertical up and down so sharply that they're undriveable.  Mountains inbetween everything that ought to be in the Andes or Himalayas that make even a bicycle impossible to travel.  I could go on...

Edited by Lumpus (see edit history)

Right above your post, Lumpus: KingSlayer suggests how one can do it: Evil_Geoff and I do it similarly. I don't make any special prefabs list at all - all I do is pour the DF & CP prefabs right into the game "Prefabs" folder, then run the KGen "Generate custom prefab list" part. DF will recognise its own prefabs just as if it were the "normal" DF game. I haven't tried DF overhaul as the "engine" for the game, (but will do just this tomorrow) - but it should work without issue. 

After playing a little bit in a KG generated world, there's something that is bothering me more than I thought it was going to.
The cities are waaay too flat! 
I had already mentioned about how it cutted the heightmap in the borders, but now actually being in there, all that flatness is a lil bit disturbing. 

do you have any plans about working on that aspect? maybe making it so the flatened area is not that big so we can see some change in elevation throughout the city. 

cheers.

also, in my personal opinion, mountain generation could get some work too, making them more mountany and less of a big ass hill with snow on the top.  something I could not just drive through to get to the top. 
so far I'm using the mountain generation to make deserts, as it give a nice dunes vibe, but the actual mountains I had to recycle from the Nitro's resources folder :p

On 6/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Jugom said:

After playing a little bit in a KG generated world, there's something that is bothering me more than I thought it was going to.
The cities are waaay too flat! 
I had already mentioned about how it cutted the heightmap in the borders, but now actually being in there, all that flatness is a lil bit disturbing. 

do you have any plans about working on that aspect? maybe making it so the flatened area is not that big so we can see some change in elevation throughout the city. 

cheers.

also, in my personal opinion, mountain generation could get some work too, making them more mountany and less of a big ass hill with snow on the top.  something I could not just drive through to get to the top. 
so far I'm using the mountain generation to make deserts, as it give a nice dunes vibe, but the actual mountains I had to recycle from the Nitro's resources folder :p

Cities are flat by design. Having buildings at different elevations causes a lot of troubles. If you look at how villages are generated on mountains you can see that.

Mountains are generated by 2d perlin noise. I am all ears for suggestions on how to combine different levels of noise to make the terrain more interesting. (i would use 3d noise, but the game only supports a 2d heightmap)

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)