KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

community maps sorry but i think i figured out what was wrong , it seems snow level went from 0 to 1 just reset settings hopefully it will come out right

just hope this generator don't leave mosses parting the red sea areas in the water like nitrogen does

i really like this map but wow takes 6 minutes download from server to client spacer.png

and you get network time out before it's fully downloaded...

further note from inspecting the map in game it needs alot of smoothing done mountains look like they was generated for a minecraft map...

Edited by Father (see edit history)

On 6/27/2021 at 1:27 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

The cumminity heightmap download feature is ready for its first release :)
I still want to try to improve generation of roads though. I think I can release KG11 tomorrow night :)

@scallipus what's the optimal water level for the hm you submitted? It doesn't see to be the default 43...

@KingSlayerGM

I used 45 I think for the water level

Here is the contents of the settings file

Spoiler

SETTINGS:
biomes_map=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/scallisworld_biomes.png
border_size=medium
border_type=water
burnt_size=medium
cities_grid_size=large
cities_level=60
cities_map=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/aussie_base_8K_rgb8_poi_placement - Copy.png
cities_number=lots
cities_size=large
default_biome=pine forest
default_biome_tools=pine forest
desert_size=medium
heightmap=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/aussie_base_8K_gb8_lev5.55.png
heightmap_smoothing=none
mountains_size=medium
multiple_generations=1
name=ScallisWorld
output_folder=
png_heightmap=no
pois_list=vanilla
pois_number=increased
seed=ZjrQbZBqSx
size=8
skip_preview=false
snow_level=
snow_size=medium
spacing=medium
spawn_points=medium
terrain_roughness=medium
towns_grid_size=large
towns_number=lots
towns_size=large
traders_location=cities
traders_number=increased
villages_grid_size=large
villages_number=lots
villages_size=large
waste_size=medium
water_level=45
water_size=medium
zoning_map=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/poi_city_zoning2.png

an interesting thing happened when I started using custom water maps in KG 10... will test KG 11 with the same artwork tomorrow and report back

There was artifacting along the waters edges in some places (no water was being placed), but you will be pleased to know that when I did a custom height map for just the water and eroded the terrain map to suit, the water for the custom river worked really well (although it did change height levels as the water area tested was done using the original terrain map downsampled to 8bit GS as required by KG for water maps if I am not mistaken, and the terrain was eroded so the water had depth :)

Overall a good first go at custom water, there was no anomolies on the ocean apart from what actually appears to be a result of the selection tool edging used in gimp

2 hours ago, Father said:

community maps sorry but i think i figured out what was wrong , it seems snow level went from 0 to 1 just reset settings hopefully it will come out right

just hope this generator don't leave mosses parting the red sea areas in the water like nitrogen does

The moses effect in nitrogen literally cost me days and days of testing custom height maps and regenerating and putting onto the test server etc... King Gen overall does not produce the anomolies that nitrogen did that saw long runs of thin land strips going to the edge of the world in the middle of the ocean

Mhhhh came back after a long break, found out Nitrogen is dead and the link goes here.

Well, looks promising, but I had to disable all antivirus software to even get it started. And once I click "Generate Map", I get a black screen of death and have to hard reset. Pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be. OS Windows 10 latest updates. 

Anyone experienced anything like that and has a workaround? 

Edit:

Running as admin doesn't help, getting all kinds of errors and weird user rights issues (haven't ever seen those before with anything else). Sure the binary from the download link is ok... ?

Edited by Gilthanaz (see edit history)

Hello! When creating a map, I get an error:

Generating heightmap.
Generating biomes.
Generating cities.
Generating water.
Generating roads.
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'
Exception ignored in: 'scipy.spatial.qhull._Qhull.__dealloc__'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "native.py", line 107, in interp
  File "crash_log.py", line 19, in handle_crash_log
  File "gui_generation.py", line 27, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1192, in run
  File "world.py", line 236, in generate
  File "world.py", line 381, in gen_roads
  File "world.py", line 401, in connect_cities
  File "world.py", line 458, in connect
  File "native.py", line 145, in make_road
  File "interpnd.pyx", line 280, in scipy.interpolate.interpnd.LinearNDInterpolator.__init__
  File "qhull.pyx", line 1840, in scipy.spatial.qhull.Delaunay.__init__
  File "qhull.pyx", line 270, in scipy.spatial.qhull._Qhull.__init__
  File "messagestream.pyx", line 36, in scipy._lib.messagestream.MessageStream.__init__
OSError: Failed to open file b'C:\\Users\\\xd0\x90\xd0\xbb\xd0\xb5\xd0\xba\xd1\x81\xd0\xb5\xd0\xb9\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\scipy-srxz4_zi'

3 hours ago, Gilthanaz said:

Mhhhh came back after a long break, found out Nitrogen is dead and the link goes here.

Well, looks promising, but I had to disable all antivirus software to even get it started. And once I click "Generate Map", I get a black screen of death and have to hard reset. Pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be. OS Windows 10 latest updates. 

Edit:

Running as admin doesn't help, getting all kinds of errors and weird user rights issues (haven't ever seen those before with anything else). Sure the binary from the download link is ok... ?

your browser probably didn't allow it to fully download mine wouldn't let mine download completely had to set allow on blockers and all

On 6/22/2021 at 5:18 PM, KingSlayerGM said:

Somebody might not want the vanilla pois. Imagine someone using a medieval mod, they wouldn't want vanilla pois.

If you generate the poi list correctly it will not be empty.

to generate a poilist, you just have to supply KG with a prefabs folder.

Want a vanilla poilist? Give KG the vanilla prefabs folder. 

Want vanilla+custom pois list? Give KG a folder containing both.  (alternatively you can generate 2 separate lists and join them together)

I have created a custom Prefabs folder and point Kinggen to it. It opens the folder up, then asks me to give it a name and save it.... within this folder it creates a completely empty .txt. file within the list of the POIs, named with what I just named it. When I try to generate a map in Kinggen using this custom POI list, it wants me to select this .txt. file and I do but then I STILL only get the vanilla POIs. I have been trying this awhile now.  I try it once, give up. Two weeks later I try it again and give up.

I must not be generating the POI list correctly for Kinggen.

Could the kind fellow who created the YT tutorial videos please include this setting up the custom list as well? In his tutorial he just mentions that he doesn't have one and leaves it at that. Otherwise, can someone please show it using screenshots or something?

I've had no issues getting CP 47 POIs to generate within my Nitrogen maps; I prefer Kinggen's speed and superior map generation but just cannot figure this one out. I'm sick of just having vanilla POIs in my maps :(

Edited by quietone748
misspelling (see edit history)

9 hours ago, zizionard said:

Hello! When creating a map, I get an error:

Generating heightmap.
Generating biomes.
Generating cities.
Generating water.
Generating roads.
Exception ignored in: 'scipy.spatial.qhull._Qhull.__dealloc__'
  File "crash_log.py", line 19, in handle_crash_log
  File "gui_generation.py", line 27, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1192, in run
  File "world.py", line 236, in generate
  File "world.py", line 381, in gen_roads
  File "world.py", line 401, in connect_cities
  File "world.py", line 458, in connect
  File "native.py", line 145, in make_road
  File "interpnd.pyx", line 280, in scipy.interpolate.interpnd.LinearNDInterpolator.__init__
  File "qhull.pyx", line 1840, in scipy.spatial.qhull.Delaunay.__init__
  File "qhull.pyx", line 270, in scipy.spatial.qhull._Qhull.__init__
  File "messagestream.pyx", line 36, in scipy._lib.messagestream.MessageStream.__init__
OSError: Failed to open file b'C:\\Users\\\xd0\x90\xd0\xbb\xd0\xb5\xd0\xba\xd1\x81\xd0\xb5\xd0\xb9\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\scipy-srxz4_zi'

Your username contains special characters that cause problems when opening temporary files.

12 hours ago, Father said:

i really like this map but wow takes 6 minutes download from server to client spacer.png

and you get network time out before it's fully downloaded...

further note from inspecting the map in game it needs alot of smoothing done mountains look like they was generated for a minecraft map...

file sizes for heightmaps can be very large. A 16K map contains 256 milion pixels...

Anyway the server where you download it from is very fast, so the bottleneck is you internet connection. For it takes around one second to download :)

11 hours ago, scallipus said:

@KingSlayerGM

I used 45 I think for the water level

Here is the contents of the settings file

Reveal hidden contents

SETTINGS:
biomes_map=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/scallisworld_biomes.png
border_size=medium
border_type=water
burnt_size=medium
cities_grid_size=large
cities_level=60
cities_map=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/aussie_base_8K_rgb8_poi_placement - Copy.png
cities_number=lots
cities_size=large
default_biome=pine forest
default_biome_tools=pine forest
desert_size=medium
heightmap=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/aussie_base_8K_gb8_lev5.55.png
heightmap_smoothing=none
mountains_size=medium
multiple_generations=1
name=ScallisWorld
output_folder=
png_heightmap=no
pois_list=vanilla
pois_number=increased
seed=ZjrQbZBqSx
size=8
skip_preview=false
snow_level=
snow_size=medium
spacing=medium
spawn_points=medium
terrain_roughness=medium
towns_grid_size=large
towns_number=lots
towns_size=large
traders_location=cities
traders_number=increased
villages_grid_size=large
villages_number=lots
villages_size=large
waste_size=medium
water_level=45
water_size=medium
zoning_map=E:/Users/Lloyd/KingGen/poi_city_zoning2.png

an interesting thing happened when I started using custom water maps in KG 10... will test KG 11 with the same artwork tomorrow and report back

There was artifacting along the waters edges in some places (no water was being placed), but you will be pleased to know that when I did a custom height map for just the water and eroded the terrain map to suit, the water for the custom river worked really well (although it did change height levels as the water area tested was done using the original terrain map downsampled to 8bit GS as required by KG for water maps if I am not mistaken, and the terrain was eroded so the water had depth :)

Overall a good first go at custom water, there was no anomolies on the ocean apart from what actually appears to be a result of the selection tool edging used in gimp

Water map is 8 bits because water can only have round elevations, e.g., 50, or 51, not 50.5.

The heighmap should always accomodate what is in the water map. THe water map cannot dig the terrain.

3 hours ago, quietone748 said:

I have created a custom Prefabs folder and point Kinggen to it. It opens the folder up, then asks me to give it a name and save it.... within this folder it creates a completely empty .txt. file within the list of the POIs, named with what I just named it. When I try to generate a map in Kinggen using this custom POI list, it wants me to select this .txt. file and I do but then I STILL only get the vanilla POIs. I have been trying this awhile now.  I try it once, give up. Two weeks later I try it again and give up.

I must not be generating the POI list correctly for Kinggen.

Could the kind fellow who created the YT tutorial videos please include this setting up the custom list as well? In his tutorial he just mentions that he doesn't have one and leaves it at that. Otherwise, can someone please show it using screenshots or something?

I've had no issues getting CP 47 POIs to generate within my Nitrogen maps; I prefer Kinggen's speed and superior map generation but just cannot figure this one out. I'm sick of just having vanilla POIs in my maps :(

If you want to use CP pois then go to the CP page and download the CP version for KG. It will ionclude a list that you can use with KG.

If you want to create a custom poi list:

1. copy all the pois you want to use in a folder
  2. run KG
  3. click on generate poi list
  4. selecte the folder containing all your pois
  5. select a save location
  6. done. When you generate a world, give it the list just created.

10 hours ago, Gilthanaz said:

Edit:

Try to delete it and download it again.

It strange that your antivirus complained. Mine is just fine.

A couple of friends of mine decided to get back to 7 days to die again and found out that nitrogen is dead, and was directed here. We're getting a dedicated hosted server and would like to know if this is something that we can use to generate our world? We don't do custom POIs and stuff.

4 minutes ago, IntentionUnclear said:

A couple of friends of mine decided to get back to 7 days to die again and found out that nitrogen is dead, and was directed here. We're getting a dedicated hosted server and would like to know if this is something that we can use to generate our world? We don't do custom POIs and stuff.

Absolutely you can. Just leave default settings and click generate!

Yeah... not touching this outside a VM anymore... maybe I can reproduce the error in the VM to get you more info on why its hard-reseting my gaming rig.

Edit:
That might come off a bit wrong. Thanks for all your effort :) 

Edit2:
Appears to work fine in a Windows7 VM :) I can work with that.

Edited by Gilthanaz (see edit history)

20 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

file sizes for heightmaps can be very large. A 16K map contains 256 milion pixels...

Anyway the server where you download it from is very fast, so the bottleneck is you internet connection. For it takes around one second to download :)

ummm that's downloading from my server to client 

A couple of minor points from a first time user:

1) KingGen always opens maximized, at least for me. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance especially for large screen users.

2) KingGen does not observe "dark mode" settings. For a user who is using dark mode, a brilliant, white window suddenly filling the entire screen is bordering on painful to sensitive, old eyes.

That's all for now, besides thanks for picking up the ball that was dropped with NitroGen.

Found another little issue:

First I made a 6k map, named it Jennytania (because the seed is 8675309). KingGen put a folder in its own folder, named Jennytania. WAE (working as expected).

Next I made two 6k maps, using the same name. KG made Jennytania1 and Jennytania2. More or less WAE.

Then I made two 12k maps, using the same name. KG replaced Jennytania1 and Jennytania2. Unexpected.

I had thought that KG was checking, finding the original Jennytania, and because of that making 1 and 2, but now I am thinking it's just seeing the multiple map setting and appending the numbers to keep the new maps separate as it is making them, but not even realizing that it's overwriting existing files.

Would be nice for it to see those previous maps and continue the sequence, so that in the third case it would have made Jennytania3 and Jennytania4. Just a thought for consideration. :)

15 minutes ago, GlassDeviant said:

Found another little issue:

First I made a 6k map, named it Jennytania (because the seed is 8675309). KingGen put a folder in its own folder, named Jennytania. WAE (working as expected).

Next I made two 6k maps, using the same name. KG made Jennytania1 and Jennytania2. More or less WAE.

Then I made two 12k maps, using the same name. KG replaced Jennytania1 and Jennytania2. Unexpected.

I had thought that KG was checking, finding the original Jennytania, and because of that making 1 and 2, but now I am thinking it's just seeing the multiple map setting and appending the numbers to keep the new maps separate as it is making them, but not even realizing that it's overwriting existing files.

Would be nice for it to see those previous maps and continue the sequence, so that in the third case it would have made Jennytania3 and Jennytania4. Just a thought for consideration. :)

This is intended behavior. I keep making new maps and I want to overwrite the old ones. I don't want several folders laying around.