KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

7 minutes ago, Wolves Hero said:

Thank you, I was confused 16bit high quality & 8bit low quality. I tried 8bit heightmap went smooth hills & mountain feel real 7DtD no Minecraft lol,
I change to 8bit then re-generate 16k map still fast finished 3mins with SSD & i7 7700K & 32Gb RAM 👍.

Spot difference 16bit vs 8bit on map preview zoom in picture can see on left pic not smooth & on right pic was smooth

16bit = Minecraft 

8bit = smooth 

There is a problem with your 16bit heightmap. You might have save it at 16 bits, but you have probably generated it at 8 bits. Once it is generated at 8 bits, it is pointless to save it at 16.

Let me give you a metaphore to help you understand. If you take a picture with your camera, you cannot increase the resolution after you have taken the picture, you can only reduce the resolution. In the same way, once you have generated the heightmap at 8 bits, it is pointless to save it at 16 bits.

Sidenote: in KingGen 9 I have added an explicit option to smooth the heightmap.

13 minutes ago, YourUndeadFriend said:

Can KingGen intelligently place POIs in/around water so docks can be used? For example vanilla "docks_01", "docks_02", etc. or even custom made POIs with similar concepts?

Sorry, currently that is not possible. I might add it in the future.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

@Jugom The feautre you requested is officialli in KingGen 9. It will be released tomorrow.

Nice! thanks.
there's one think I'm confused about tho. 
KingGen already gives the option to generate a clean map without using the cities mask.
I can choose to NOT place cities, towns, villages, wildernes traders etc. the single pixel thing is not really necessary for that.

16 minutes ago, Jugom said:

Nice! thanks.
there's one think I'm confused about tho. 
KingGen already gives the option to generate a clean map without using the cities mask.
I can choose to NOT place cities, towns, villages, wildernes traders etc. the single pixel thing is not really necessary for that.

It is necessary.

When you use a cities map, the other settings about cities are overwritten.

Actually, you are correct.

The other settings about cities are overwritten, however in the case of a forced generation (the city map is empy), then the old setting are used. I did not think of that.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm confused, what are the differences between "Old Residential, "New Residential", and "Downtown?" And what's the difference between a "Village" and a "Town"? Some clarification would be appreciated. :)

Towns are smaller versions of cities. They have slightly different pois and they can contain traders.

Villages are smaller than towns and have dirt roads. Villages cannot have traders. The pois used are a bit different than the ones for towns and cities.

"Old Residential, "New Residential", and "Downtown" are called "zones".  Different zones have different pois, but a poi can be in multiple zones. As for the content: residential zones contain mostly houses, downtown can contain skyscrapers and other stuff.

Version 0.9.0 released!

Here is what's new:

• Fixed spawns in water
  • Fixed crevasse near villages
  • Fixed import of images in palette mode
  • Added spawn points to preview
  • Added dialog for output folder
  • Added button to open generated worlds folder
  • Added option for border biome
  • Added option for traders in the wilderness
  • Added option for heightmap smoothing
  • Added option to control grid size of cities, towns and villages individually
  • Added option to control number of cities, towns and villages individually
  • Improved water edges
  • Added custom water map import
  • Added forced generation of cities if imported cities map is empty. This is usefull if you want to use the cities map only to restrict some areas from the generation, but you still want KingGen to generate the cities.

I'm having problems with 16 bit HeightMaps in the new version. 

I'm using the same files I was using with v0.8 and it generates this map. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d4cfb186ea668e6c83484831038bf139.png

The biomes are ok, and the no POI area seems good too, but it doesn't read the 16 bit heightmap and doesn't generate the cities.
after multiple failed attempts, I decided to try with the 8 bit heightmap I also had stored and it generated the map as you expected it to be generated. 

On another note... I'm curios about the new water mask feature. how does it work? 🤓
it adds water at any height?
can I do like a river bed coming down from a mountain and fill it with water?
how do I find out exactly what shade of grey I need to add the water at the right place? is it related to the shade of heightmap or something? 
this is promising. 😃

Also, on the water maps... does it overwrite the elevation water spawn? saying. make a crater in the middle of the land but don't want any water on it. 

and also... can you make it so the tool can also optionally export a water map png sames as it does for the heigtmap png? it would facitilate things, specially while we get used to it. 

EDIT: Something I just noticed, not sure if this is intentional or not, but traders placed in the wilderness are not connected by any road. 
In vanilla traders are always connected to a road.
again. not sure if intentional or not, but if not, maybe make have them generate at least a dirt road?

Edited by Jugom (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Wolves Hero said:

Small issued I was draw added land (bridge) but didn't spawn automatic roads only 2 spawn roads out of 4 bridges. I keep re-generator still not spawn roads.

image.thumb.png.ec71ca4b7f865131f9b25f9545a63054.png

Try making the bridge of land wider. If it still doesn't work, try moving the two coast lines closer to each other

3 hours ago, Jugom said:

I'm having problems with 16 bit HeightMaps in the new version. 

I'm using the same files I was using with v0.8 and it generates this map. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.d4cfb186ea668e6c83484831038bf139.png

The biomes are ok, and the no POI area seems good too, but it doesn't read the 16 bit heightmap and doesn't generate the cities.
after multiple failed attempts, I decided to try with the 8 bit heightmap I also had stored and it generated the map as you expected it to be generated. 

On another note... I'm curios about the new water mask feature. how does it work? 🤓
it adds water at any height?
can I do like a river bed coming down from a mountain and fill it with water?
how do I find out exactly what shade of grey I need to add the water at the right place? is it related to the shade of heightmap or something? 
this is promising. 😃

Also, on the water maps... does it overwrite the elevation water spawn? saying. make a crater in the middle of the land but don't want any water on it. 

and also... can you make it so the tool can also optionally export a water map png sames as it does for the heigtmap png? it would facitilate things, specially while we get used to it. 

EDIT: Something I just noticed, not sure if this is intentional or not, but traders placed in the wilderness are not connected by any road. 
In vanilla traders are always connected to a road.
again. not sure if intentional or not, but if not, maybe make have them generate at least a dirt road?

Thank you for reporting it. This is a bug and I have just verified it. I'll fix it.

Regarding water maps, you can read the guide on the first page. There is some information there.

Regarding traders in the wilderness, they are not connected by design.

Working perfectly now. Super! 👍

Here's a suggestion for the to-do list.
Find a way to smooth the heightmap after the cities have been placed or do a second smoothening then, so things like >>see picture below<< don't happen, or at least not as often. 

image.png.b95a6f6c7340765edca6e9fdb72b81fc.png

Not that it's he worst thing in the world.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7624456c2c0f4365edb516ee4aa96ee5.png

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gui.py", line 1408, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1135, in run
  File "world.py", line 36, in __init__
  File "world.py", line 199, in handle_kwargs
KeyError: 'pine forest'

when selecting 'pine forest' as border biome, no issue if letting it use default biome of 'forest'

on another note wilderness traders while the spawnrate seems about right have a habit of spawning in clusters, often winding up near city-based clusters and making the density in a general area rather high, this doesn't occur much on reduced spawnrate levels but maybe a bit undesirable since that overall makes their density much lower

38 minutes ago, Evil_Geoff said:

Just a heads up, but AVG alerted on my 0.9.1 install as a "suspicious" file.  First time that AVG has done that (Windows does every time, I know I can ignore that one!).

Same me happened just ignored Windows & AVG that false positives virus like false positives covid in 2021 😱

2 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Try making the bridge of land wider. If it still doesn't work, try moving the two coast lines closer to each other

I just fixed wide bridges now got 4 out of 4 roads on bridges. Nice different sizes grids village town city & added smoothing 👍

4 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

Just a heads up, but AVG alerted on my 0.9.1 install as a "suspicious" file.  First time that AVG has done that (Windows does every time, I know I can ignore that one!).

AVG just popped up - Good news from Threat Labs!  We didn't find any threats in that KingGen.exe file you sent us...

Requests not demands...love it btw.    Small deserts doesn't seem small compared to small for other biomes. Is there any way to get cities to populate in snow biomes without whole map being snow.  Thanks for all the hard work.

52 minutes ago, Kattz said:

Requests not demands...love it btw.    Small deserts doesn't seem small compared to small for other biomes. Is there any way to get cities to populate in snow biomes without whole map being snow.  Thanks for all the hard work.

At the moment no, I'm sorry, because snow appears on mountains and cities in valleys. So they never touch.

8 hours ago, Jugom said:

Working perfectly now. Super! 👍

Here's a suggestion for the to-do list.
Find a way to smooth the heightmap after the cities have been placed or do a second smoothening then, so things like >>see picture below<< don't happen, or at least not as often. 

image.png.b95a6f6c7340765edca6e9fdb72b81fc.png

Not that it's he worst thing in the world.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.7624456c2c0f4365edb516ee4aa96ee5.png

Yeah I could smooth the terrain around the edges of cities towns.... I am a bit worried about adding computing time to the generation, thus making the overall generation longer. I will have to experiment, but it's not going to happen soon.

Also those edges are not really a problem when you are playing

8 hours ago, Nayru said:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gui.py", line 1408, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1135, in run
  File "world.py", line 36, in __init__
  File "world.py", line 199, in handle_kwargs
KeyError: 'pine forest'

when selecting 'pine forest' as border biome, no issue if letting it use default biome of 'forest'

on another note wilderness traders while the spawnrate seems about right have a habit of spawning in clusters, often winding up near city-based clusters and making the density in a general area rather high, this doesn't occur much on reduced spawnrate levels but maybe a bit undesirable since that overall makes their density much lower

Hi, thanks for reporting that. It is a bug and I have just verified it. A fix will be in the next release of KingGen :)

8 hours ago, Nayru said:

I haven't noticed that, can you please share a screenshot?

On 6/2/2021 at 1:41 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

Zoning allows you to control the types of buildings. Like industrial, commercial, downtown.... There is some information about it on the first page. You can also skip this part and KG will do automatic zoning.

Thank you, I didn't see that! One last clarification: I saw someone ask about the custom cities map and how, in 0.8 it couldn't generate random cities if there weren't any on the custom map—is it the same way with the "zoning" map? I have a custom City spawning map, and using that, I made a zoning map for just said city. Will KingGen still randomly zone the non-city spawns, or do I have to do that myself as well (it isn't a big deal if I do, but it's a curiosity)?

3 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Thank you, I didn't see that! One last clarification: I saw someone ask about the custom cities map and how, in 0.8 it couldn't generate random cities if there weren't any on the custom map—is it the same way with the "zoning" map? I have a custom City spawning map, and using that, I made a zoning map for just said city. Will KingGen still randomly zone the non-city spawns, or do I have to do that myself as well (it isn't a big deal if I do, but it's a curiosity)?

Yes KingGen will randomize the zoning for areas that you haven't covered with your zoning map. But I would not recommend that.

36 minutes ago, hungryhyena78 said:

Is there some kind of tutorial on how to make custom maps via greyscaling? If so can you please link me that?

Thanks...

Yes it's on the first page of this thread. There is a long guide on how to use KingGen.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/23988-kinggen-a-random-world-generator-for-7-days-to-die/?do=findComment&comment=424160